PDA

View Full Version : Jetport Proposed Near Big Bald

Brushy Sage
11-29-2004, 10:29
According to a newspaper report, developers of the gated community/ski resort just east of Big Bald Mtn (NC) have applied to the FAA for approval to construct a runway along top of a ridge that will accomodate small jet aircraft. They anticipate that it will be used primarily by rich Floridians who have homes in the area of the NC resort. Does anyone know if the National Park Service automatically reviews such proposals for possible impact on the AT?

Miss Janet
11-29-2004, 11:17
That is a really scary thought!!!! I would like to know more about this proposal as soon as possible. This is kind of my back yard and I don't like the idea!

hacksaw
11-29-2004, 15:07
Not exactly in my back yard, but I think it sucks also.

Hacksaw

RU98A
11-29-2004, 18:08
About as welcome as a fart in a crowded shelter.:)

The Solemates
11-29-2004, 18:37
Do you have a link to the news report? And which ski resort is it that proposes this (Sugar or Beech I presume)? I couldnt find anything online supporting this...

Lone Wolf
11-29-2004, 18:38
Sugar and Beech are no where near Big Bald.

steve hiker
11-29-2004, 18:46
Big Bald Mountain, TN-NC 3600n 08230w

Lone Wolf
11-29-2004, 18:52
I think Wolf Laurel is the name of the ski area.

Brushy Sage
11-29-2004, 20:35
L. Wolf is correct about the resort. There is no link to the news report. It was just a report on an interview with the resort owner, in a small local paper. I have no information beyond that. Surely there is a stage in the application process when other federal agencies have to comment on such a proposal. Thus my question about whether National Park Service might take a position. Of course, the gentleman's first hurdle will be to get FAA approval for the concept. With the Asheville airport so near, I wonder if the need for another nearby jet facility can be demonstrated.

orangebug
11-29-2004, 21:52
The Asheville airport is almost as far away as the Nashville airport from Big Bald. The TriCities' airport is much closer.

This sounds like smoke getting blown thru a tight passageway.

smokymtnsteve
11-29-2004, 21:57
The Asheville airport is almost as far away as the Nashville airport from Big Bald. The TriCities' airport is much closer.

This sounds like smoke getting blown thru a tight passageway.

ok I'll give you that tri-cities is maybe as close as asheville, but Nashville??

no way..it is a long way to Nashville, TN

Patco
11-30-2004, 22:29
I wonder if this new jetport will be in need of an Air Traffic Controller? :)

Sweet deals like that don't happen every day! ;)

"November 348 Delta Foxtrot enter left downwind for Wolf Laurel runway 07, make sure you buzz any hikers you see up on the ridge!"
:bse

orangebug
11-30-2004, 22:39
no way..it is a long way to Nashville, TN
Oops, I meant Knoxville, actually closer to Maryville, TN. The Asheville airport is practically in Hendersonville, NC, which is not far from Greenville/Spartanburg's airport.

The Tricities airport is essentially in Big Bald's back yard, by comparison.

smokymtnsteve
11-30-2004, 23:30
orangebug...have you been gittin into my medical supplies???? ;)

TakeABreak
12-01-2004, 00:38
Brushy Sage, do you still have the hard (paper) copy of this news article? If so you may want to send a copy of it to the ATC, headquarters, so that they can determine what the impact will be (how close it is) and start action against the jetport, if needed.

Brushy Sage
12-01-2004, 12:35
Brushy Sage, do you still have the hard (paper) copy of this news article? If so you may want to send a copy of it to the ATC, headquarters, so that they can determine what the impact will be (how close it is) and start action against the jetport, if needed.

I have read the article again, and the proposal is more in the category of a wish list, with "discussions" under way. Perhaps I jumped the gun in posting it on WhiteBlaze, because there is nothing to oppose at this juncture.

bobgessner57
12-01-2004, 19:10
Although a private jetport at Wolf Laurel sounds a bit absurd given the lack of other amenities to attract the private jet crowd, it should be treated as a potential threat. A bigger parking area for scouts and church groups is more in line with the real needs for transportation infrastructure improvement at the ski lodge. But, a lot of new development is on the boards in Madison County and this may be a trial balloon to gauge the interest and possible opposition to such an elitist project wether it be for Wolf Laurel or another potential development.

I spoke with a commercial airline pilot about this and his guess was that such a runway would need to be at least 3000 feet long, perhaps more to account for altitude and weather conditions. Approach lights would take up additional length. And, don't forget the access roads, etc. He wasn't sure about the length-he flys the big stuff.

Knowing the land around Wolf Laurel and Big Bald there aren't any appropriate valleys and a mountaintop strip would be a major pox on the landscape. It might be wise to let it be known that any such proposal will be opposed by the hiking community. The I 26 cut has already created more than enough visual blight on the local landscape. It is best to kill a rat before it has babies.

Brushy Sage
12-01-2004, 20:48
I have brought this to the attention of the ATC regional office that has responsibility for this section of the AT.

TakeABreak
12-01-2004, 21:24
Glad to know that it is only a proposed or a wish item, I am also glad you let the regional people know, this way they can keep an eye on the wish list's progress or maybe even send them a letter letting them know, that they will be opposed to it. Kinda stop it before it gets going sorta thing.