PDA

View Full Version : Southern Loop in Nov: Need Advice on Dog, Shuttle and Partner

Man and His Dog
09-13-2010, 14:49
Hey y'all. I'm flying into Atlanta on Nov 2 with my dog in order to do the BMT/AT loop starting North on the BMT in Springer and then South on the AT from Sassafras Gap. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First off, is the junction, which I understand to be called Sassafras gap, the same spot where the Sassafras shelter is on the AT? And if so, how far from there to the NOC?

Also, since I will have my dog I obviously have an issue for the short section of this hike that goes within the Smokies. What would you guys recommend here? How many miles would I actually travel within the park? If it is less than 20 miles could I just day hike with her and get out quick without getting caught? She is a well-trained hiking dog, and I have never taken her somewhere prohibited, but it seems ridiculous to hire a kennel/shuttle for a day hike. Or is there a way to road walk or somehow else get around the park?

That's the important stuff. I'm not too worried about finding a shuttle, but if you have any recommendations going from Atlanta airport to Springer on Nov 2, and the reverse on Dec 2, I would love to hear them. And while I am not looking for a partner, if you are going to be in the area and want to hike for a bit send me a message and maybe we can meet up.

Take care and safe hiking.

royalusa
09-13-2010, 17:07
Hi,

I think I can answer one of your questions.

There is a Sassafras Shelter on the AT, but it’s around mile marker 142, south of Fontana Dam, so I don’t think that is what you are looking for. The AT/BMT junction occurs at AT milemarker 168. The AT crosses US19/NOC at AT milemarker 134.

If I misunderstood your question, just let me know and I’ll try again.

Thanks

SGT Rock
09-13-2010, 19:15
Hey y'all. I'm flying into Atlanta on Nov 2 with my dog in order to do the BMT/AT loop starting North on the BMT in Springer and then South on the AT from Sassafras Gap. I have a couple of questions I was hoping you guys could help me out with.

First off, is the junction, which I understand to be called Sassafras gap, the same spot where the Sassafras shelter is on the AT? And if so, how far from there to the NOC?
No, this sassafras gap is about 0.2 miles north on the AT from the Shuckstack Fire Tower. AT mile point 168.7. From there to the NOC is about 34 miles. The closer service point to here would be Fontana Village.

Also, since I will have my dog I obviously have an issue for the short section of this hike that goes within the Smokies. What would you guys recommend here? How many miles would I actually travel within the park? If it is less than 20 miles could I just day hike with her and get out quick without getting caught? She is a well-trained hiking dog, and I have never taken her somewhere prohibited, but it seems ridiculous to hire a kennel/shuttle for a day hike. Or is there a way to road walk or somehow else get around the park? From the point you enter the park on the BMT to the AT is 5.0 miles. Then back out to Fontana Dam is another 4.5 miles. An option you might try is contacting the Hike Inn and see if they could pick you up somewhere before entering the park (probably the AT at Fontana would work best) and let you spend the night there. Then the next day watch your dog while you do a day hike to Twentymile Ranger Station with an arranged pick up time or maybe just a pack and dog drop off to you. I can't remember what the Hike Inn dog policy is.

That's the important stuff. I'm not too worried about finding a shuttle, but if you have any recommendations going from Atlanta airport to Springer on Nov 2, and the reverse on Dec 2, I would love to hear them. And while I am not looking for a partner, if you are going to be in the area and want to hike for a bit send me a message and maybe we can meet up.

Take care and safe hiking.

The ATC has a list of shuttle folks. One that I can think of right away that does the Springer area is Cool Breeze who works out of Neels Gap. Another would be Survivor Dave if he is still doing shuttles then. I think he may have had hiking plans for the near future.