PDA

View Full Version : hey everyone

philly
09-13-2010, 20:28
Just wanted to share a story about me son. He has CP and when he was born they gave him zero i mean zero chance of life when he was born they kind of hinted around about "pulling the plug" on him, saying that he will have no life and that he will be a vegetable, well my friends he is now 13, and i have pushed him to his limits every day, this past weekend we went on a scout trip to the whites, did some camping and his first hike. we went up Willard, well it took him about 3 hours and a lot of pissing and moaning but he did it. it may not be a huge hike but to him it was Everest, i kept pushing and pushing, sometimes maybe to much, but he did it. when he got to the summit, he said "dad this is beautiful". after lunch we hiked back down....more complaining....the next day all he talked about was that hike. now he wants to do another!!!

im so proud of both my kids wanting to hike and explore the view from the top. Now my daughter (10) is wanting to hike Franconia ridge. i think we will head up in november.

Thanks for reading

Philly

Sierra Echo
09-13-2010, 20:34
I think thats awesome!

philly
09-13-2010, 20:37
I think thats awesome!

Thanks....so do I:)

Waterbuffalo
09-13-2010, 20:42
Way to go Tell him just put one foot in front of the other and he can accomplish anything!

philly
09-13-2010, 20:45
Way to go Tell him just put one foot in front of the other and he can accomplish anything!

Thats just what i did! i cant tell you how proud i am of him, then when he said he wants to go again, it blew me away! his next hike will be in a few weeks, when we hike up to lonesome lake, i cant wait!!!

10-K
09-13-2010, 20:47
Congratulations.

Doctors aren't always right... I was in a crush injury 10 years ago and was told I'd never walk without a leg brace and a cane (think House, only worse).

That's nothing compared to what your son just achieved - but I do know doctors don't always make the right call.

philly
09-13-2010, 20:48
....then when he asked what mountain that was that we drove by, I told him thats washington. I asked him if he wants to hike up there, he said not yet, but he is thinking:))))

philly
09-13-2010, 20:49
Congratulations.

Doctors aren't always right... I was in a crush injury 10 years ago and was told I'd never walk without a leg brace and a cane (think House, only worse).

That's nothing compared to what your son just achieved - but I do know doctors don't always make the right call.

your so right, he has braces on each leg but it does not stop him. he might go slower then everyone else, but then again whats the rush:)

Marta
09-13-2010, 21:06
Very cool! Congratulations to both of you--him for doing it and you for helping him make it happen.

Rocket Jones
09-13-2010, 21:09
Both to your son and proud papa, Way to go!

J5man
09-13-2010, 21:09
Great story of personal success and the power of love!

johnnybgood
09-13-2010, 21:17
Truly something you and your son can be mighty proud of .

Keep on pushing him to new horizons and watch him gain confidence.
His achievements will make him a stronger person and he'll thank you for it.

Many Walks
09-13-2010, 22:04
Very cool! We all know people without CP who wouldn't dream of attempting the hike. Congratulations to your son and to you Dad for bringing him this far. I'm sure there are many more great accomplishments in his future!

ChinMusic
09-13-2010, 22:10
Great story. Please add some chapters as they evolve.

Hoop
09-13-2010, 22:11
Thanks for sharing - puts things in perspective.

Feral Bill
09-13-2010, 22:13
good dad!!!!

philly
09-13-2010, 22:14
Great story. Please add some chapters as they evolve.

i will do and if i can figure out how to add pictures ill add some

philly
09-13-2010, 22:15
they should add a disabled hiking page

Daydream Believer
09-13-2010, 22:45
Congratulations! I know how proud you must be of your son but you also deserve much credit for being such a supportive parent who would not give up on your child. I find stories like his to be uplifting! Thank you so much for sharing!

Rain Man
09-13-2010, 22:57
when he got to the summit, he said "dad this is beautiful".

Philly, that would put tears into the eyes of just about any dad. Does mine just to read about it. Good for you both.

Rain:sunMan

Franabelle
09-13-2010, 22:57
Thank you for sharing such an uplifting story. You and your son are a true blessing to us all!

bus
09-13-2010, 22:59
Right on! Such a very cool story. This should be a sticky thread.

Tinker
09-14-2010, 07:58
I am proud of your son, too.
I am equally proud of you for not allowing the medical staff to "pull the plug" on him at birth.
Terminating life for the sake of convenience should never be an option.
God bless you and your family!
P.S. You made me cry and smile at the same time.

SMSP
09-14-2010, 14:37
Way to go!

Smsp

philly
09-14-2010, 20:18
Thank you everyone for your kind words!!! it means alot to me. i do not know any of you, but went out of your way to say something positive. their was a saying at grateful dead shows that no one was strangers, just friends that have not met yet, just like this place.

my sons second hike will be from lafayette place to lonesome lake next month, we will be hiking on saturday the 9th, if anyone is there as we hike up to the hut, please say hello.

Philly

philly
09-14-2010, 20:20
Just wanted to share a story about me son. He has CP and when he was born they gave him zero i mean zero chance of life when he was born they kind of hinted around about "pulling the plug" on him, saying that he will have no life and that he will be a vegetable, well my friends he is now 13, and i have pushed him to his limits every day, this past weekend we went on a scout trip to the whites, did some camping and his first hike. we went up Willard, well it took him about 3 hours and a lot of pissing and moaning but he did it. it may not be a huge hike but to him it was Everest, i kept pushing and pushing, sometimes maybe to much, but he did it. when he got to the summit, he said "dad this is beautiful". after lunch we hiked back down....more complaining....the next day all he talked about was that hike. now he wants to do another!!!

im so proud of both my kids wanting to hike and explore the view from the top. Now my daughter (10) is wanting to hike Franconia ridge. i think we will head up in november.

Thanks for reading

Philly

oh and anyone know of easy hikes in that area let me know.