PDA

View Full Version : triple crown

litespeedlujak
09-13-2010, 21:21
I'm lost. And for a wanna be hiker, being lost is not a good thing. But here is my question anyway. Not that I am thinking of attempting this (heck, I just want to learn to dayhike), but what EXACTLY is the Triple Crown? I know it comprises the big three: The PCT, CDT, and AT. But the confusion comes in with the time limit. Is this to be completed within 365 days or within a lifetime? I did see online where some guy completed all three within 300 days. Not sure how anyone could find enjoyment in that. Thanks

topshelf
09-13-2010, 21:30
its a lifetime accomplishment

George
09-13-2010, 21:34
2 have done it in one calendar don't know about brian but squeaky really looked to be running on empty by the end

Danielsen
09-13-2010, 22:38
A triple crown is a triple crown. There are no time limits. Some have done speed attempts like doing a triple crown in under 365 days or whatnot, but that is not required to be considered a triple crown. They can each take you a year and have a decade in between if you like.

jersey joe
09-14-2010, 08:48
The 365 day limit was self imposed by people as a challenge. Not necessary for a Triple Crown.

Marta
09-14-2010, 16:03
Like being a 2000-miler, they don't even need to be thru-hikes.

Squeaky 2
09-20-2010, 16:51
2 have done it in one calendar don't know about brian but squeaky really looked to be running on empty by the end

not even close to running on empty, where did you get that from:-?

i couldnt have been any healthier or stronger at the end:banana

Jester2000
09-20-2010, 17:09

Due, I believe, to his consumption of dancing bananas, which are high in dancing potassium.

jersey joe
09-20-2010, 18:02

Squeaky, did you ever publish a journal on your triple crown experience?

Dogwood
09-20-2010, 18:47
Yeah, Squeeaaky looked to be spent after her bouncing along from trail to trail.

Squeaky 2
09-21-2010, 15:44
i did have a journal on trailjournals.com although i did not finish it off completely.

i would like to write a book about it one day though as there was so much that happened that year and so much i had to learn on route, plus all the humourus stories. explain my motivation for the trip etc. it would be fun to relive the hike through a book thats for sure!!!

i would have to call it 'the last white blaze' as that was my focus for 8 months!

Luddite
09-21-2010, 16:11
How many people have done the Triple Crown?

garlic08
09-21-2010, 18:38
http://www.aldhawest.org/triplecrown.html

This is just the people who have bothered reporting it to this one organization, or even knew about the organization. There are probably a few more who have never told anyone.

Mags
09-21-2010, 18:43
...and in some cases, people report it on your behalf.

Dogwood
09-21-2010, 19:01
Squeaky, thanks for the resonse. I was hoping you would. I for one would really enjoy seeing that book. Thanks also for the trail jounals link. AND, one more thank you for demonstrating your integrity and character for also accurately stating what you did hike!

jersey joe
09-21-2010, 21:56
i did have a journal on trailjournals.com although i did not finish it off completely.

i would like to write a book about it one day though as there was so much that happened that year and so much i had to learn on route, plus all the humourus stories. explain my motivation for the trip etc. it would be fun to relive the hike through a book thats for sure!!!

i would have to call it 'the last white blaze' as that was my focus for 8 months!
Yes, I'd read that book too!