PDA

View Full Version : Need help planning a hike...

STICK
09-13-2010, 22:01
So, my wife and I will have from a Sunday morning to a Saturday night / Sunday morning to hike in the middle of next month (up to 7 full days). I want to do a loop simply so I don't have to pay for a shuttle. I would like to keep the mileage to around 8 or less each day. I would really like to hit the AT somewhere, and even better yet in the Smokies but I have reservations to think about. This said, I am already within 30 days of leaving so my chances are probably really slim. I don't mind going just a little north, or even south of the Smokies, but would like to keep it around the AT. I guess.

So, anyone got any suggestions for a hike that fits these criteria:

1. Loop
2. Achieved in 7 days
3. 8 miles or less a day.

Thanks.

Bear Bag
09-14-2010, 00:32
There is a loop featured in TREKKING THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS, published by Backpacker Magazine that looks like it may be along the lines of what you are looking for. They call it the Bartram/Appalachian Loop.

This particular loop hike begins and ends at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. From the NOC, hike west along the AT until it intersects with the Bartram Trail at Cheoah Bald. Take the Bartram and head south. touching the edge of Nantahala Lake briefly before the Bartram turns back east. At Winespring Bald the Bartram and the AT meet again. They run together for a mile or so and then part ways. Follow the AT northward back to the NOC. According to the book, this loop is 54.8 miles in length. For a one week trip, this averages out to slightly less than 8 miles a day.

The Trails Illustrated Map (Nantahala and Cullasaja Gorges - 785) published by National Geographic shows this loop clearly. The North Carolina Bartram Trail Society map is also excellent.

Hope this helps. And wherever you go, have a great hike.

Marta
09-14-2010, 06:30
Don't despair of getting reservations in the Smokies--during the week, during the school year, it really isn't hard. If you call the Backcountry reservation line, the ranger will help you work it out.

Especially if your dates fall during one of the major hunting seasons, the GSMNP is a pretty nice place to be.

fredmugs
09-14-2010, 07:09
Consider doing a hike that includes the Standing Indian Loop in NC. That loop itself is like 25 - 30 miles and there is a campground in case you need to bail.

STICK
09-14-2010, 20:57
That sounds like an interesting hike Bear Bag. I will have to look into that one some more. However, tonight I decided on this. For now.

I believe I will call tomorrow and try to get this this:

Day 1. Leave Cosby Campgrounds via the Low Gap Trail ~ 5 miles to CS # 37 for the night. (Or CS # 36 if #37 is full...)

Day 2. Leave CS # 36 / 37 via the Swallow Fork Trail then the Mt. Sterling Ridge Trail ~ 7.9 miles to Laurel Gap Shelter for the night.

Day 3. Leave LGS via the Balsam Mt Trail ~ 5.8 miles to Tricorner Knob Shelter for the night.

Day 4. Leave TKS via AT ~ 8.1 miles to the Cosby Knob Shelter for the night.

Day 5. Leave CKS via the AT then Low Gap Trail ~ 3.5 miles (?) back to Cosby Campgrounds.

Once back to the truck, drive to Max Patch either that day or the next morning. Hike into Max Patch and stay the night on top. Hike out the next day.

So, what ya think?

Seems I have heard lots of stories about CS # 37 as far as bears. So what's the story? It is on the Bear Warning List (but then again it seems like everything else that isn't closed is on that list...) How are the site selections at CS # 37? CS # 36? Pro's / cons of each? How do they compare?

How about these shelters?

Is it ok to leave my truck at the Cosby Campgrounds?

How are these trails? As far as scenery?

How about snow? I have heard to expect some starting around October. I am looking forward to some!

Of course even if I do get these reservations which I will call about tomorrow I do understand that the plans can still fall through due to bear closures. So, I will plan on looking into the hike that Bear Bag suggested as a back up plan.

SMSP
09-14-2010, 21:30
Sounds like a great week of backpacking!

The reservation office at Sugarland Visitor Center has a HUGE map book with all types of routes mapped out. It has a listing for just about every kind of trip one could want. You could probably find your criteria within that HUGE map book. The only problem is, is that map book is not available online, only at the reservation office.

Looks like you do not need that map book, your route sounds great. You got a mix of trails leading upto to AT, a portion on the BMT, camping in camp sites, using shelters. Best of all, 5 days/4 nights in GSM.

Will look forward to your trip report.

SMSP

chelko
09-15-2010, 10:42
Campsite 37 is a great site right on the water you will love it. Laurel Gap shelter is a dump of sorts. hasn't been renovated and still has the bear cage on the front, you may have issues if it rains alot it tends to flood. Balsam Mtn trail is wonderful one of the prettiest hikes in the park. The AT is spectacular and the shelters at Tri Corner and Cosby Knob are super, you will really love them. You can search the photo galleries here on white blaze to see pictures of them. max patch is a magical place and worth a nights stay if the weather is good, you can drive to within a half mile of the summmit, your car will be fine at both Cosby and Max Patch Sounds like a great trip have fun.

STICK
09-15-2010, 14:49
Thanks Chelko for the info. I thought all of the bear cages had been removed throughout the park. Maybe that's just on the AT? It will be interesting to see.

Looking forward to the Balsam Mtn Trail then. We are hoping to get good views with lots of good colors!

So, I called this morning to make my reservations for the last itinerary I posted.
CS # 37 was open, Laurel Gap Shelter was open, and Cosby Knob Shelter was open. Tricorner was full... Reluctantly, I took the first two and skipped Tricorner and went straight to Cosby. After confirming and getting off of the phone, I thought to myself, "Why didn't I ask if I could have done it in reverse?" So, I called back. Luckily, they were all available in the reverse order. So, now my itinerary will be:

1. Cosby campgrounds to Cosby Knob Shelter.
2. CKS to Tricorner Knob Shelter.
3. TKS to Laurel Gap Shelter.
4 LGS to CS # 37.
5. CS # 37 to Cosby CG.

After this we will drive to Max Patch and hike the tiny hike up and set up camp for the night. At least for this, I can take my daypack with a few things. Only 2 meals (dinner and Breakfast). Now if the rain will just work with me!

I may try to leave a little early and get a hike in to Chimney Tops as well. I have wanted to go up the last two times I have been there and didn't make it either time, so we will see.

STICK
09-15-2010, 15:26
So, when I leave Laurel Gap and heading to CS # 37, which way would be the most scenic?

Gunter Fork Trail
OR
Mt Sterling Ridge to Swallow Fork Trail

I see that the GFT has a waterfall, but it seems like the Sterling ridge would have good views...

Marta
09-16-2010, 07:21
On a clear day there's a great view from the summit of Mt. Sterling, which you could hike out and back to before heading down the Swallow Fork Trail. By October the trees at elevation will be losing some of their leaves, and you might have a view from the ridgeline.