PDA

View Full Version : More On External Frames.

mykl
09-13-2010, 22:35
After reading some of the threads on external frames recently, it got me wanting to use one again. I pulled out my Kelty Super Tioga which I haven't used in over ten years. When I tried it on, it obviously needs some adjustments.
My problem is that I not really sure know how to adjust it properly. There are lots of straps, frame, pins, mesh panel, etc. I'm looking for suggestions, tips and info on how to properly fit this pack. I checked Kelty's web site, but the info wasn't that great.
It's a different beast than internal frames, which seam much easier to get to fit right.

chazmo
09-14-2010, 10:04
Check the hipbelt first. locate it on your hips, then move the frame up or down on the hipbelt fasteners so the curve of the frame matches the curve of your back.

As for the distance between shoulder straps, adjust so they are not rubbing on your neck or slipping off your shoulders. I like about two fingers width between my neck and the straps.

If you have the old, simple shoulder straps, the connection should be at about the same height as your shoulders. If you have the newer type that curve over the top of your shoulders, the connection should be low enough on the frame so the padding fits snug with no gaps.

You should do this with some weight in the pack, and you likely need a friend to help spot where adjustments need to be made.

grayfox
09-14-2010, 12:28
Mykl, check out this video by nutnfancy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynIlrp3r_zY&p=D336913DBD8CB460&playnext=1&index=7 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynIlrp3r_zY&p=D336913DBD8CB460&playnext=1&index=7) Be patient, your pack should look like his when you turn it around if it is the same model.

To get your pack adjusted for fit:

Start with the frame. Use a mirror if you don't have a knowledgable friend. An outfitter might be another option. Remove the pack bag. Place the frame along your back with the slight bend comfortable along your back. Your head should not hit the top bar. The bottom bar should not hit your bottom.

Next place the hip belt on the frame so that it rides on the top of your hips and does not keep you from flexing your legs up as far as is comfortable for you when walking or climbing stairs. We used to adjust hip belts way too low and walking was an effort fighting the tightness of the belt on the hip joint.

Then, place the shoulder straps. We used to put them so that they attached at right angle to the pack from the shoulders. That was before we had load lifter straps. If your pack has load lifters, these should form a 45 degree angle from the top of your shoulders, and the strap should wrap slightly down your back. The trick here is that when adjusted, the straps lie on your shoulders without a gap caused by the lifters. They should not rub your neck and sould stay on your shoulders without rubbing on the outside top shoulder bones. Try to not have to use the sternam strap to accomplish this as that can become uncomfortable and frustrating even though you think it works at first.

Once the frame and straps are about right, attach the bag. The ring and pin system is frustrating and hard on your fingers. I had a long wire that threaded through all the pins and made it easy to change the bag position. As difficult as it seems to get the rings undone, they can come loose all on their own very easily--you can replace them with split rings from the hardware store once you get the pack adjusted. Always carry an extra pin and ring--it makes a good zipper pull on the pack bag.

Put some weight in the pack, or pack it up, and fine tune your adjustments.

You will know you have it perfectly adjusted when you can use only the hip belt or only the shoulder straps to carry your pack comfortably and stabilly on your back.

Hope this helps, glad to answer any more specific questions, grayfox

SMSP
09-14-2010, 14:22
I have a .pdf file for Kelty frame. Its the owner's manual for H-frame series.
I will see if I can email it to you.

SMSP

SMSP
09-14-2010, 14:27
Better yet:

http://www.kelty.com/pdf/2009/09Tents/ExternalINST.pdf

SMSP

mykl
09-16-2010, 16:35
Thanks for the help. I think I have it all figured out.