PDA

View Full Version : 6 Months and Counting! WooHoo!!!

Turtle Feet
09-14-2010, 12:15
For those starting approx. mid-March - which are quite a few of us - we're basically at the 6 month mark. :cool:

I'm pretty ready, working on the food thing now. I've got my gear (or have it on order). Haven't made any travel arrangements yet, I'll hold off there for another couple of months at least.

My one last item of question is raingear. I have a jacket (rain pants that don't fit anymore...lol), packcover. I know from experience that this gear doesn't 'really' keep you dry, it's just a matter of degrees of how wet you're going to get. I guess I'm hoping for a raingear miracle... anyone have one?

Where's everyone else in their planning???

TF

Mountain Wildman
09-14-2010, 13:01
All set with everything but transportation!!:sun
Not doing the food drop thing, Re-supplying along the way.

Luddite
09-14-2010, 13:31
I think my start date is February 24. I haven't bought my rain gear yet but I think I'm going to get a Packa. I'm resupplying along the way.

Still need to get a lot of gear. So far I have my pack, stove and pot, sleeping pad, shelter, trekking poles, footwear, headlamp, and knife.

As far as transportation I think I'm stuck taking a Greyhound. Scared to fly. Then, from Atlanta, a friend of mine can drive me to the trailhead.

ugh 6 months...

northernstorm
09-14-2010, 14:44
got all my gear and working on food. also got my itinerary around trail days dialed in as far as other stops along the way. really looking forward to this.

-northern storm

Forever North
09-14-2010, 15:35
I still have lots of gear to buy. The pack, boots and sleeping bag and more. Due to not having been hiking in a few years I need all new gear. I should have most if not all of the big money items bought within the next 6 weeks. Campmor is going to love me. I have all of my trail food covered for the trail but, I am still doing research on how to get to Springer Mt???? My wife won't drive on any highways and I am still looking for some point durnning my hike where she can take a grayhound and meet up with me for a few days. It's going to be a long trip without her. The biggest proublm is we'll need a motel that will except a dog (does any one out there have any ideas). The funny thing is I have hiked this trail before yet here I find myself reading everything I can get my hands on and researching every item I am thinking about bringing with me. For me this pre-trail research is part of the fun that is ahead of me next March.

Wuff
09-14-2010, 16:07
Forever North- I'm glad I'm not the only one missing a lot of gear. Reading this forum makes me feel way behind. I'm planning on buying the pack last so I can get the best fit depending on the weight of the other stuff.

I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum thus far - I have not yet requested my leave of absence from my office so my time table is not set. If a LOA is not approved, I will have to decide whether to quit and leave my wife as the sole bread-winner. Once all this is resolved, I'll start buying more gear.

Forever North
09-14-2010, 16:38
Forever North- I'm glad I'm not the only one missing a lot of gear. Reading this forum makes me feel way behind. I'm planning on buying the pack last so I can get the best fit depending on the weight of the other stuff.

I've been a bit of a lurker on the forum thus far - I have not yet requested my leave of absence from my office so my time table is not set. If a LOA is not approved, I will have to decide whether to quit and leave my wife as the sole bread-winner. Once all this is resolved, I'll start buying more gear.

Boy do I know where you are coming from. However, it was out of the blue over dinner one night just a few weeks ago that my wife looked at me and told me i needed to do another hike. She and I both knew it but it was because of her was the reason why I havn't gone hiking. But that don't make it any easer to go because she told me to go. I too am kissing my job good bye. But for the moment at this time I am having the time of my life just planning for my hike for next March :banana:banana:banana

Sassafras Lass
09-14-2010, 21:33
:banana Ha! I was just discussing this with my husband the past few days . . . . Glad to see that everyone's as excited as we are!! We're trying to be at Amicalola March 14th.

I have:

Pack (Osprey Aura 50)
Boots (Keen Targhee II Mid)
Sleeping bag (GoLite Venture 20)
Sleeping pads (Z-lite & Big Agnes Insulated Air Core)
Poles (Black Diamond Ergo)
Nalgene bottle
Knife
Wool socks & liners

Hubby has everything I do, plus we're sharing the camera (Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ10) and the stove (Heineken can, not yet built)

We're ordering our TarpTent Double Rainbow in a week or 2, and after that our Packas.

We need to lose weight before buying clothing, so that will have to weight until after New Year's, I imagine. :rolleyes:

Various other odds and ends still require a bit of research and picking up along the way . . . .

Turtle Feet
09-15-2010, 13:51
I think my start date is February 24. I haven't bought my rain gear yet but I think I'm going to get a Packa. I'm resupplying along the way.

It's pouring rain here today. I should throw my rain jacket, pack, and pack cover on and walk around a couple of hours.... I'd probably come home and order a Packa too! :datz

I need some meds shipped to me along the way, so I'm locked into at least 5 or 6 maildrops - I might as well throw some food, ect. in with them. Other than that, I'll be resupplying along the way too. Right now I'm playing with GORP recipes, and some energy bar things. I have a few dehydrated recipes that I know I'll enjoy. If I send a few of each once a month or so I'm pretty sure I won't have a chance to tire of them and I'll be able to save some weight as I go.

TF

Carbo
09-15-2010, 15:14
I have all my gear. Just doing some shakedown hikes 2 to 3 days at a time to check things over and to trim some weight off my pack (and me!).

Selecting food has been a problem. So far powdered gravy with stove-top stuffing and foil packed chicken works for a hot meal, but the chicken is heavy being packed with liquid. Jerky seems good and light but expensive. For GORP, a mix of cheerios, nuts, and dried cranberries or rasins - cheap and easy. Planning on the instant mac & cheese next time out. Still have a way to go with food, reading the threads here have helped a lot in preparing!

As far as my job goes... a lay off took care of that. Kinda sucked since I was about a year from retirement and was with the company for 13 yrs. On the bright side I GET TO HIKE! http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

mountain squid
09-15-2010, 16:36
For those of you wondering about transportation to the trail, you might check out the Hiker Hostel (http://hikerhostel.com/index.php) (if you haven't already). They usually have a Thru-Hiker Special during the busy season at Springer.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs003.gifand http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs027.gif. Almost there . . .

See you on the trail (next year),
mt squid

Del Q
09-15-2010, 20:34
The Nimblewill Nomad website is about as good as it gets. Go Lite Reed pants are a check in the win column for me. See his current rain jacket personal choice. "Rain gear" is as much a cold/windy weather item as it is rain gear.

Starbuck
09-16-2010, 10:21
Less than six months now! Collecting gear and saving up money :) I've got my pack, shelter, bag, footwear, headlamp, most of my clothing, just ordered a new rainjacket, water bladder, bandana, and a few other odds and ends.

Anyone thinking about bringing an umbrella? I'm considering it.

Luddite
09-16-2010, 19:56

Never used one while hiking. Are you still going to bring a rain jacket? I think an umbrella would be nice in the summer when it's too warm for rain gear.

levidoug
09-16-2010, 20:39
I have been in touch with them Hiker Hostel (http://hikerhostel.com/index.php) and they asked me to wait till Oct to book. Also said maybe a small increase of about $5 but the service I understand is great with transp. and night at Hostel, and other stuff. Looking at 2 nights at Hostel because coming by train and might need time to catch my breath. Not easy to sleep on the train. I am also working food stuff. I will re-supply along the way but have mail drops. Will also do bounce box. Looking to start at about 30-32 lbs. with water and food.

Levi

(http://hikerhostel.com/index.php)

Luddite
09-16-2010, 20:50
I might be staying at the Hiker Hostel too.

Are you riding a train all the way from Oregon? That would be a beautiful ride but, man , thats a long ride. I wish I had the option of taking a train to atlanta. They need to build more rails.

RichardD
09-16-2010, 21:46
I thought I had all the gear but having just finished the JMT I was too cold when the nighttime temperature dropped to 20. I am sure it will be close to 20 on many occasions in March and April in Georgia.
I am considering a Winter Nest for my hammock but it's expensive. Possibly a 5 degree bag also.

hontassquirt
09-16-2010, 22:55
The biggest proublm is we'll need a motel that will except a dog (does any one out there have any ideas).

i have 3 dogs and foster great danes, so i always use LaQuinta's. They are the only one's i can find that don't have a size limit (rather, weight limit) on dogs.

Forever North
09-17-2010, 00:00
Thanks I'll be sure to check into Laquintas

Forever North
09-17-2010, 00:27
I thought I had all the gear but having just finished the JMT I was too cold when the nighttime temperature dropped to 20. I am sure it will be close to 20 on many occasions in March and April in Georgia.
I am considering a Winter Nest for my hammock but it's expensive. Possibly a 5 degree bag also.

In my 2005 thru hike somehow I managed in packing my 20 degree bag into storage along with my other things and end up on the trail with my 30 degree bag. I froze pretty good untill I reached Neels Gap where I bought a 100% silk linner. I don't remember freezing after that. Next year I expect to bring a 30 degree bag along a silk linner and two pair of long underware also. One to hike in or sleep in both pair if it gets too bad. I don't mind the weight too much. My pack is always heavy at the start of my hike. I'll trim it down after Roan Mountain or Damascus. I'm trying to stay away from buying two diffrent sleeping bags for this hike it's a lot of money. I did it in 2005 so I am hoping I can do it again in 2011.

Carbo
09-17-2010, 20:03
I have been in touch with them Hiker Hostel (http://hikerhostel.com/index.php) and they asked me to wait till Oct to book.
Levi

(http://hikerhostel.com/index.php)I checked their site and looks pretty good! Would be a great launch point to Springer with plenty of food and rest before the "Maine Event".

Wise Old Owl
09-17-2010, 22:59
:mad:Woo....Hoo... is my line,:mad:

walkin' wally
09-18-2010, 20:56
I have had enough of the planning and buying and all that. I am ready to go right now but I will probably wait till mid March for transportation reasons. Hope to see you all on the trail. :sun

I may try the Hiker Hostel.

Just got back today from Fundy National Park in New Brunswick, Canada. Doing some hiking. Trying to stay in shape.

Turtle Feet
09-19-2010, 10:38
:mad:Woo....Hoo... is my line,:mad:

I thought your line is "Hooo...Hooo" :(

cole
09-19-2010, 15:38
Glad to see Im not alone in getting prepared kinda late. I have most of my big ticket items out of the way and just ordered some of my winter gear. I've found every conversation every situation is starting to trigger an impulse to think about the hike. . I am going on a shakedown hike for a week in oct. on the OHT so that will probably help. Still trying to get my funds together and a budget for the trip but slowly getting there. Oh the anxiety!!

yari
09-19-2010, 18:18
I have everything but trekking poles at the moment. I have never invested in good poles, using cheap Coleman poles now and they suck. A lot of my stuff may get switched out while hiking. I really like the gear I have and I am used to using it. I am concerned about weight though, so I am leaning toward setting out and seeing what works and what doesn't. Might go ahead and get a Lunar Duo and a new sleeping bag. I still haven't decided if I am bringing my dog and the tent I buy will depend on that decision, so it is going to have to wait until December.

Today is a bad day so I am not excited about starting, more apprehensive. Tomorrow I will be excited.

DutchNomad
09-21-2010, 08:07
Hello All!

I am a newcomer to the site and thru-hiking so I have lots of questions. I am hiking solo (or starting solo anyway) so safety is a big concern. I am going to quit my job for this, thereby losing my health insurance. Has anyone any experience with getting cheap emergency type coverage? I guess most hospital trips equal a cessation of your trip anyway, but I would hate to save all my money only to have a mishap and end up thousands of dollars in debt (thanks USA!!!). Any thoughts?

Turtle Feet
09-21-2010, 18:19
Hello All!

I am a newcomer to the site and thru-hiking so I have lots of questions. I am hiking solo (or starting solo anyway) so safety is a big concern. I am going to quit my job for this, thereby losing my health insurance. Has anyone any experience with getting cheap emergency type coverage? I guess most hospital trips equal a cessation of your trip anyway, but I would hate to save all my money only to have a mishap and end up thousands of dollars in debt (thanks USA!!!). Any thoughts?

I'm certainly no authority on health insurance only to relay our family's experience. DO NOT give up your current health insurance until you have a new policy in place!!! If you have any condition that would give an insurance company reason to reject your application, or accept it at a MUCH higher monthly premium they will. If you are currently insured with a group plan, it's my understanding (at least the way the rules are written at the moment) that you cannot be denied coverage with a new policy.

You're young, if you (and your immediate family btw) have an absolutely squeaky clean medical history, you may not have a problem, but I won't risk it.

With all that said, there is a type of policy out there called "Major Medical", that's basically just catastrophic coverage. That's probably what you're looking for.

TF

Turtle Feet
09-21-2010, 19:07
Totally unrelated....

I posted this under "Clothing" but not sure how much those threads may get read as often, BUT -

Just picked up Patagonia Capilene 3 top & bottom for $40, full retail is $90. Gotta love a sale - and that should complete my wardrobe for AT 2011.

gopher
09-22-2010, 07:37
Less than six months now! Collecting gear and saving up money :) I've got my pack, shelter, bag, footwear, headlamp, most of my clothing, just ordered a new rainjacket, water bladder, bandana, and a few other odds and ends.

I will be bringing an umbrella. It is the only rain gear that keeps you dry for hours. All you need is a water/wind resistant jacket. Additionally it is portable shade during those 90 degree days. The downside is wind, and figuring out a holder to keep your hands free.

Chenango
09-22-2010, 08:23
I am ready, but a bit nervous. I hope my body can manage 6 months of pounding.

Chenango
09-22-2010, 08:26
I have been hiking regularly to get my body in shape. Any suggestions for in-between hikes and during the winter? I try to hit the gym for 3-4/wk for the elliptical oribtor and weight training. I fidn that leg curls adn extensions help my knees. ANy other pointers?

58starter
09-22-2010, 10:08
I am getting ready for the hike. I want to get a new tent and sleeping bags.
Has anyone used any of the Eureka, tents and or sleeping bags?

Carbo
09-24-2010, 09:06
I have been hiking regularly to get my body in shape. Any suggestions for in-between hikes and during the winter? I try to hit the gym for 3-4/wk for the elliptical oribtor and weight training. I fidn that leg curls adn extensions help my knees. ANy other pointers?
For between hikes, I'm doing about the same as you. Weight training on the lower body seems to make a big difference on the trail hills. I do upper body workouts just to round things out.

I find it is very important to have at least a day of rest between workouts and up to two days off before a big hike.

For the winter or times I can't hike, I hit the treadmill at maximum angle and shoot for a HR of about 90% of maximum for about 10 minutes then back off for another 10, and repeat this for about 45 - 60 min. I considered wearing a backpack loaded with books or something while doing this, but it would look kind of goofy.

This seems to work. On the first big hike of a season I no longer feel stiff or sore on the following days.

Sassafras Lass
10-01-2010, 10:24
Totally unrelated....

I posted this under "Clothing" but not sure how much those threads may get read as often, BUT -

Just picked up Patagonia Capilene 3 top & bottom for $40, full retail is $90. Gotta love a sale - and that should complete my wardrobe for AT 2011.

Where did you buy them from?? I'm totally set on the Patagonias but am waiting for a great sale :)

Turtle Feet
10-02-2010, 16:46
Where did you buy them from?? I'm totally set on the Patagonias but am waiting for a great sale :)

www.patagonia.com