PDA

View Full Version : 0 degree bag for $70?

hallelujahjafar
09-14-2010, 14:36
So I've began looking for a good bag for this winter. I have found a Kelty Cosmic 0 degree bag on Campmor for $70. I am curious as to whether or not you guys think this is a good buy or not. I am not necessarily worried about the weight seeing that I do not plan to use this for extensive backpacking, but just weekend trips. It comes in at 4lbs which seems like a lot, but do you guys think that it is worth the extra pound? The price seems rather low to me, but I'm not sure if there are any better alternatives.

jeepcachr
09-14-2010, 15:54
What is winter like in Tennessee? Is a 0 degree bag necessary? Winter in Michigan, yes you need a 0 degree bag and then some sometimes. Check how big it packs down to, it may take up your whole pack or need to be strapped to the outside. I have an old 0 degree bag like that.

A pound doesn't seem like much but it adds up in a hurry. Most guys are happy when they can shave ounces, if they can shave a pound they'd be ecstatic. You may not think it would matter for a short weekend trip but I'm enjoying my short backpacking trips more this year than I ever have. For the first time I've made a concentrated effort to get my pack weight down. I hiked 3 miles labor day weekend with a 55 lb pack (took my 3 little ones with me) and it was harder than the longer hikes I've done this summer.

skinewmexico
09-14-2010, 16:07
Personally, I'd feel better about the closeout (overfilled) Luxurylite bag for $99. A full pound+ lighter too.

johnnybgood
09-14-2010, 16:28
I bought a similar 0 degree bag a couple years ago and it's ok for the $69.95 I paid for it , but mine weighed 3 lbs -1 ou. ( stuff sack included.)

Add a little more cash and get a bag thats sub 3 lbs , Imho.
Also post here on the "Gear Wanted " forum for gently used winter bag.

Reid
09-14-2010, 16:50
Personally, I'd feel better about the closeout (overfilled) Luxurylite bag for $99. A full pound+ lighter too.

I'm on that one like toast on bread. Thanks! I liked his synopsis on fill ratings too focusing more on the finished product as opposed to the traditional selling point of fill power.

Maddog
09-14-2010, 16:57
when it comes to a sleeping bag...dont be cheap! you wont regret it! ive got a wm versalite and i wouldn't trade it for the world !!!!! maddog

skinewmexico
09-14-2010, 17:55
I'm on that one like toast on bread. Thanks! I liked his synopsis on fill ratings too focusing more on the finished product as opposed to the traditional selling point of fill power.

I've got a couple of the underfilled bags they had ($39, <2#), and I stayed warm into the upper 20s with a base layer and fleece jacket. I added down to the underfilled chambers on one of them, and it's almost too hot at 20. Haven't used my overfilled bag yet. Works really well to unzip from the feet up when you're too hot.

Ox97GaMe
09-14-2010, 23:24
jafar..... Not sure where you plan to go hiking, but you will seldom need a 0 degree bag in Tennessee, unless you are sleeping in a hammock without an underjacket. I am hiking up at the higher elevations of the Smokies in Dec, Jan, Feb fairly regularly and am comfortable with my 15 most of the time. I also have a fleece liner if it looks like the weather is going to dip into single digits. If it is much colder than that, you probably wont want to be hiking anyway, unless you are hard core hiking type.

leaftye
09-15-2010, 01:57
Okay, you're fine with the weight, but are you okay with the bulk? That things stuffs to 12x24 inches. That's 2700 cubic inches. That's about the entire capacity of the main compartment on lightweight backpacks. It would barely fit into the sleeping bag compartment of my 7000 cu/in backpacks.

hallelujahjafar
09-15-2010, 12:37
Would you say that the Luxurylite overfilled might be too hot for temps around 15+ or would it be about right?

Ox97Game--What bag do you have or do you know of any good 15* bags I might look into? I guess I was looking into the lower temp bags to feel more comfortable about the true temp I could reach with them. I didn't want a 15* rated bag that wouldn't even make it to 30 comfortably, you know? This seems to be a common aspect for many of the under 200 buck bags.

leaftye
09-15-2010, 14:03
I don't see how the Luxurylite could get too hot. You can vent to the point of totally opening the central zipper so that only your feet are in the bag. If anything you might be cold since the bag is only rated down to 20 degrees at best. What about Campmor's 0 degree down bag? 3 lbs, 5 oz. $150. If you could supplement with a good down jacket and balaclava you could probably go with the 20 degree bag instead and save another pound.

Danielsen
09-15-2010, 16:53
I don't see how the Luxurylite could get too hot. You can vent to the point of totally opening the central zipper so that only your feet are in the bag. If anything you might be cold since the bag is only rated down to 20 degrees at best. What about Campmor's 0 degree down bag? 3 lbs, 5 oz. $150. If you could supplement with a good down jacket and balaclava you could probably go with the 20 degree bag instead and save another pound.

The luxurylites currently on sale are overfilled stock, so they're actually a good bit warmer than 20 degrees while still costing and weighing less than campmor. Understand I'm no campmor hater, I was about to purchase their down 20 bag but found an awesome sale on a golite at the last minute.

leaftye
09-15-2010, 18:22
I would definitely call Luxurylite before placing an order. The details where a 20 degree rating is mentioned also lists the weight of the overfilled bags. They also claim it has 4 inches of loft, which Western Mountaineering rates at 30° F. If the two pound bags were rated at 20° F, another 12 ounces of down would drop the rating to near 0° F. Let's keep in mind that his specification was for 8 centimeters (3.15") of loft. Referencing WM again, that would provide a rating around 40° F. Look at the information available, I think the 47 ounce bags have 4 inches of loft and are rated at 20° F. The bit of information that's tricky is that I would guess this overfilled bag has at least 20 ounces of down. If it was good WM down, that would make the bag good down to 10° F. But the quality of the down was not specified. Any factory would be insane to use high quality down when the specifications don't call for it in any way. The spec only demanded down. It would make sense that the least expensive stuff that could be called down was used. That could easily explain how a bag with so much down would not have a colder rating.

In short. The Luxurylite overfilled bags are good for 20° F.