PDA

View Full Version : Down jacket or down inner jacket

Chicken Feathers
09-14-2010, 16:58
Need suggestions for ultra-light down jacket or inner jacket :-?:-?

Dogwood
09-14-2010, 17:13
If were talking UL you should check out MontBells line of down jackets. I'm using their UL down inner jacket at 6 oz as my main insulation in the Rockies right now in mid-high 20's temps at night. I layer a mid wt 1/4 zip long sleeved merino wool piece underneath and a UL Marmot Wind/Rain shell over the top if needed with Windstopper gloves and wool beanie as accessories.

bulldog49
09-14-2010, 19:30
I prefer a warm lightweight synthetic like the Patagonia Micro Puff to down. No worries about moisture.

Appalachian Tater
09-14-2010, 19:37
There's a thread somewhere about this jacket. If it meets your requirements, you probably won't be able to find anything better unless you pay twice as much:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack700DownJacket~212019_-1.html

Serial 07
09-14-2010, 20:03
montbell is the hotness...

Grinder
09-14-2010, 20:17
as has been said, Montbell inner is the best thing since sliced bread.

If you wallet is thinner, watch the Lands end site for a sale. Sign up to receive the promotion announcements at their web site.

Around thanksgiving last year, I got one delivered for $50ish. See the referenced thread for the exact price, details and a pic of yours truly modeling said jacket

It's been on two section hikes and had lots of wear on cool days and is holding up well

Hoop
09-14-2010, 20:58
Chicken Feathers, if you have a cabbage patch, WM is worth a look - their stuff is topshelf. Check out The Gear Revival in downtown ATL (Marietta Street).

LIhikers
09-14-2010, 21:24
I have the Patagonia Down Sweater and it works pretty well.
I got it 2 summers ago as a web special from the Patagonia web site.
They only had a few for sale at about 1/3 the normal price.
I was lucky that even though only 1 size was available, it was my size, and the color is something I wouldn't normally have chosen. BUT, it keeps me warm.

Johnny Thunder
09-14-2010, 21:54
i did a through with a thermawrap and it was warm enough until the very end (when i was shredded of all fat). now i have a mountain light parka (or whatever the second-lightest one is) which is crazy warm. since getting the parka...with sweet hood...i've done about 500 miles of the AT/LT and would say that you should never really worry about dampness for your jacket. if you have a decent rain jacket and a system to keep things dry in your pack you'll be alright. if stuff gets damp you'll be in town every 3rd/4th day so throw it in a dryer.

10-K
09-14-2010, 23:00
That's a mighty fine price - how is the fit? I wear an XL jacket but I hate tight fitting clothes. If the XL was roomy I'd jump on this one.

There's a thread somewhere about this jacket. If it meets your requirements, you probably won't be able to find anything better unless you pay twice as much:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack700DownJacket~212019_-1.html (http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack700DownJacket%7E212019_-1.html)

lunatic
09-14-2010, 23:20
I love my EMS Men's Ascent Down Sweater (not really a sweater). Used it on my thru in 2009, and it was great. Weighs in at around 11 ounces, packs down very small, and you can usually get it on sale from EMS for $99.

mister krabs
09-15-2010, 07:09
That's a mighty fine price - how is the fit? I wear an XL jacket but I hate tight fitting clothes. If the XL was roomy I'd jump on this one.

it's for fat guys.

leaftye
09-15-2010, 07:43
I've never really benefited from an insulation layer for hiking. I stay warm enough while on the move. So I prefer a since insulation layer, that is, a down jacket. I don't have any specific recommendations. There seems to be a lot of good jackets out there. Keep an eye out for a killer deal to jump on. I got a Fugu earlier this year.

Danielsen
09-15-2010, 16:56
I'd grab that land's end if they still had it in small. :( They have a similar hooded down jacket available at the same price in my size though, probably just a little heavier and a little less warm.

skinewmexico
09-15-2010, 16:59
Seems like Land's End and Eddie Bauer both had some great deals on closeouts last week.

Mongoose2
09-15-2010, 17:01

http://www.landsend.com/pp/SnowPack700DownJacket~212019_-1.html
Tater, I have one and love it! Great quality and a great price!

mister krabs
09-16-2010, 07:58
I'd grab that land's end if they still had it in small. :( They have a similar hooded down jacket available at the same price in my size though, probably just a little heavier and a little less warm.

get the women's, no one will ever know.

10-K
09-16-2010, 08:01
it's for fat guys.

I'm not a fat guy but I don't like clothes with a snug fit one bit.

Ordered one yesterday - in black. :)

Danielsen
09-16-2010, 10:57
get the women's, no one will ever know.

Perfect! Thanks for the suggestion.

Storm
09-17-2010, 01:04
Been looking for a down jacket for this winter. My order is in, thanks for the link.

Tinker
09-17-2010, 07:46
I, personally, wouldn't wear down under an insulating layer, because it's very likely to get damp from your own sweat. Fleece is what I wear while on the move. Down I use in camp when my body isn't producing the heat from exertion.

fredmugs
09-17-2010, 14:20
This looks interesting but can someone tell me why that jacket is better than this one:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/StylePage-263286_6H.html?CM_MERCH=REC-_-LIPP-_-GGT-_-1-_-263286-_-http

The jacket above is the same price, has a hood, 650 v 700 fill, and has a better temperature rating.

I plan on being in the Whites in 3 weeks and probably need something like this.

mister krabs
09-17-2010, 14:56
Better is relative as compared to fit for purpose. It's better for me because it's lighter, smaller and not as warm. I live and hike in Georgia. It might not be better for you for the same reasons.

leaftye
09-17-2010, 15:59
I, personally, wouldn't wear down under an insulating layer, because it's very likely to get damp from your own sweat.

I've been wondering the same, but leaning towards the other way. Perspiration is more likely to condense the further away it gets from the body. Put the down on the outside and moisture may condense inside the down.

Granted, if you're dripping sweat, down on the inside would get wet, but wouldn't it also get wet if it were worn on the outside?

I, personally, wouldn't wear down under an insulating layer, because it's very likely to get damp from your own sweat. Fleece is what I wear while on the move. Down I use in camp when my body isn't producing the heat from exertion.

Same here, when active, if it's cold enough and I'm willing to carry two layers of insulation.

SKessler
09-19-2010, 22:30
I got the Land's End down sweater last winter for 40 shipped. Awesome awesome awesome value! I was wearing it to REI and compared with the Patagonia Down Sweater and I couldn't imagine paying for the Patagonia after ordering mine. (I do think Patagonia, MontBell, etc are sexy, tho!)

I wore that jacket, rain shell, and baselayer while hiking, and I was ROASTING! Keep the jacket handy in the pack for when you take a break. I use it in summers as well as an extra sleeping layer or pillow.

mark schofield
09-20-2010, 08:51
what's the weight of the land's end 700 jacket?

Grinder
09-20-2010, 09:06
a bit less than a pound. 14 or 15 ounces comes to mind. The exact number is somewhere in this thread.

mister krabs
09-20-2010, 09:39
14.5 for an XL, they run pretty darn large. I coulda got a L and I always take an XL.

SKessler
09-20-2010, 17:55
My small is 12 oz.

10-K
09-20-2010, 18:57
UPS delivered my LE $49.99 down coat today. It looks good and fits pretty well - and is much lighter than my current down coat w/ hood.

Danielsen
09-24-2010, 21:33
Just ordered my LE 700-fill jacket. I bought a women's version medium since the men's medium is probably a bit big for me (I'm that lean short guy who always fits better in women's jeans and jackets...). I was disappointed to see that the price had gone up about $5, and more dissapointed to see that shipping is nearly $10, but it's still a steal for what it is. Once I get it I'll weigh it on something accurate, hopefully. Who knows, maybe getting the closer-fitting women's version will save me an ounce or two. ;)

Got it in black as that's a pretty unisex color.

Bags4266
09-24-2010, 23:18
They sell Lands End at Sears if anyone lives close to a store.

Chicken Feathers
09-25-2010, 09:55
Just ordered my LE 700-fill jacket. I bought a women's version medium since the men's medium is probably a bit big for me (I'm that lean short guy who always fits better in women's jeans and jackets...). I was disappointed to see that the price had gone up about $5, and more dissapointed to see that shipping is nearly $10, but it's still a steal for what it is. Once I get it I'll weigh it on something accurate, hopefully. Who knows, maybe getting the closer-fitting women's version will save me an ounce or two. ;)
Got it in black as that's a pretty unisex color.

yea but the zipper will be on the left. I am looking at a Montbell only 9 oz at Amazon and shipping is free or already in the price

Danielsen
09-25-2010, 14:55
yea but the zipper will be on the left. I am looking at a Montbell only 9 oz at Amazon and shipping is free or already in the price

...so? I have two fully functional hands, one on each side. :p

I would have loved to get a Montbell... but at almost 3x the cost I just can't do it.

Jayboflavin04
09-26-2010, 08:37
If were talking UL you should check out MontBells line of down jackets. I'm using their UL down inner jacket at 6 oz as my main insulation in the Rockies right now in mid-high 20's temps at night. I layer a mid wt 1/4 zip long sleeved merino wool piece underneath and a UL Marmot Wind/Rain shell over the top if needed with Windstopper gloves and wool beanie as accessories.

All most exactly the same here. I use my marmot precip as my outter. and use wool liner gloves and Moutain Laurel Design rain mitts as an outter layer.

Jayboflavin04
09-26-2010, 08:38
and I am not using it in the rockies