PDA

View Full Version : Knee surgery and long hiking days

Thumper 2006
11-29-2004, 13:51
About five years ago i had reconstructive surgery on my right Knee. With that said has anyone else had ACL or Meniscus surgery and hiked the trail. I can do weekend trips way out but i was just thinking 2,147 might be a little different than a fifty mile trail. Give me some input on what any of you might have done to keep your knees from killing you

The Solemates
11-29-2004, 13:59
The reply you are gonna get is treking poles. While they do help, I dont think they are necessarily the best way. I find them too much of a nuisance. Lady Solemate would definitely disagree, however.

As an alternative, try lightening your load or wearing a brace. With time (like on a thru), your knee with strengthen and you will be fine.

Also, dont plan on taking Vitamin I everyday like so many people do. That just causes a dependency for it and eventually it doesnt help. Only take medication if you are in agony.

Lone Wolf
11-29-2004, 14:45
25 years ago I hyperextended my right knee tearing the anterior, posterior and medial collateral ligaments and torn cartilage. I've done 5 thru-hikes and a bunch of big sections since then. I do not use hiking sticks or poles. You have to strengthen the muscles around the ligaments. Pain is something you gotta deal with while hiking. I don't use ibuprofen.

gravityman
11-29-2004, 15:55
About five years ago i had reconstructive surgery on my right Knee. With that said has anyone else had ACL or Meniscus surgery and hiked the trail. I can do weekend trips way out but i was just thinking 2,147 might be a little different than a fifty mile trail. Give me some input on what any of you might have done to keep your knees from killing you

Since it was mentioned you would get the hiking pole advice, I thought that I should give it :)

I tore my ACL twice (same one), tore up the meniscus, and have worn a hole through the cartilage in that knee about dime size. I hiked 1000 miles in 2001, and my knee never felt better than at the end of the hike. The poles help a lot on the downs.

Gravity

lostinthewoods
11-29-2004, 16:22
I tore my knee surgery about 6 yrs ago and am back to 110%. In regards to hiking I say trekking poles along with stretching should prevent most pains.
I suggest doing a little research on post knee surgery issues to see what stretches are suggested. I know for me I had a bad case of Iliotibial Band Syndrome this past year as I was training for a marathon, but thru the wonders of strectching you should be fine.
http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/194.shtml

In regards to a thru hike I cant speak to that b/c I have yet to attempt that, but I havent had any issues on long 7/10 day hikes with a full pack. I also picked up mountaineering and rock climbing after my knee surgery and things are rock solid. Sometimes my knee feels better now than it was before surgery.
Good Luck :banana