PDA

View Full Version : ULA Catalyst or Gossamer Gear G4.....

nawlunz
09-14-2010, 20:45
Looking for the balance of lighter weight and comfort for long hauls, 7-10 days, between resupply. I think I have narrowed it down to these two, and leaning toward the Catalyst....any body with experience with either and used for the purpose I've outlined?

THANKS

G-WALK
09-14-2010, 20:52
I have a Cataylst. like it alot. Keep in mind its framless, i use my sleeping pad as a back pad. keeps stuff from poking in to my back. i like it a lot.

nawlunz
09-14-2010, 20:55
I have a Cataylst. like it alot. Keep in mind its framless, i use my sleeping pad as a back pad. keeps stuff from poking in to my back. i like it a lot.

the twin aluminum stays are part of the system. Internal frame, Twin stay framesheet

http://www.ula-equipment.com/catalyst.asp

10-K
09-14-2010, 23:10
We have 4 catalysts in my family and everyone likes theirs a lot.

The practical upper limit that a catalyst will carry well is around 32-35 lbs. I think they advertise 40 but that's a bit optimistic IMO.

skinewmexico
09-15-2010, 00:31
The Catalyst will carry a lot more weight comfortably than the G4. The GG Mariposa Plus would be a better choice than the G4.

leaftye
09-15-2010, 01:45
The Catalyst will work for 7-10 days without resupply, although it depends on the type of food you carry and your dietary needs. I once carried 11 days of food in mine...I meant to carry 5, but forgot to pay attention while packing my food bag. I believe I also had 5-6 liters of water.

Maddog
09-15-2010, 04:11
go with the catalyst...its the best pack ive ever owned! maddog

JERMM
09-15-2010, 08:40

are you sure you have a Catalyst? The Catalyst has Aluminum frame stays and padding, the Circuit and Conduit (now called the CDT) do not.

skinewmexico
09-15-2010, 09:59
are you sure you have a Catalyst? The Catalyst has Aluminum frame stays and padding, the Circuit and Conduit (now called the CDT) do not.

CDT doesn't have a frame, Circuit has a hoop frame and an aluminum stay. I use my Circuit a hundred times more than I use my Catalyst. Catalyst is just too big, although I don't do many week long trips.

10-K
09-15-2010, 10:22
I think the catalyst is the perfect "step down" pack for someone looking to go from a heavier, big name pack to something lighter.

The more experience you get hiking and choosing lighter gear the bigger the pack becomes until one day you realize "wow, this is a big pack!"

Pak-Man
09-15-2010, 10:40
I would look at the Gossamer Gear Gorilla.

It is about the same size, but I have been highly impressed with the solid aluminum stay.

This pack has replaced all my other packs. For 26 ounces give or take one it is perfect for me.

bulldog49
09-15-2010, 11:11
Looking for the balance of lighter weight and comfort for long hauls, 7-10 days, between resupply. I think I have narrowed it down to these two, and leaning toward the Catalyst....any body with experience with either and used for the purpose I've outlined?

THANKS

I'd also consider the Six Moons Design Starlight. Quite the load hauler. I have one and highly recommend.

JERMM
09-15-2010, 11:53
CDT doesn't have a frame, Circuit has a hoop frame and an aluminum stay. I use my Circuit a hundred times more than I use my Catalyst. Catalyst is just too big, although I don't do many week long trips.

my mistake, you are correct

for long trips with heavy loads and comfort the Catalyst is a great pack

Egads
09-15-2010, 22:04

THANKS

I have both and recommend the ULA pack for your criteria

nawlunz
09-15-2010, 22:41

the best reviews for the criteria I seek.

skinewmexico
09-15-2010, 23:07

I can say the same thing, and probably should have way earlier in the thread.

KAW
03-14-2011, 12:53
I have a G4 that I made myself from a kit from quest. I however bent a easton alluminm arrow shaft in a horseshoe shape.You have to heat the arrow shaft with a propane tourch to aneal the Aluminum. I bent it around a coffe can. I then snwiched it between two pieces of closed cell foam. After contact adhesiving the foam together. This back pad makes the GG G4 a much more supportive pack. It adds a couple ounces ,but is worth it. I roll my thermarest up inside and stuff gear in the tube.

Tenderheart
03-14-2011, 13:11
The more experience you get hiking and choosing lighter gear the bigger the pack becomes until one day you realize "wow, this is a big pack!"

Very well said. And then you say: "I wish I had bought a smaller one."

litefoot 2000

grampa
07-23-2011, 13:27
I love my Catalyst and Circuit both! The Catalyst I use for longer trips when I need to carry more, the Circuit for overnights, etc. Great packs, very comfortable!

Feral Nature
08-08-2011, 12:21
I have been researching backpacks and I really like the Catalyst. I am a woman (big, not frail) and wonder, though, if it would be a good pack for me.