PDA

View Full Version : Greek Unstuffed Peppers

Dicentra
09-15-2010, 12:47
Greek Unstuffed Peppers (book #3 preview)
Serves 1
3 ounces

If you have dried roasted bell peppers, they would be even better in this dish. Make sure you stir well before eating to get all of the herbs evenly distributed throughout the dish.

1/3 cup instant rice
3 T dried bell pepper
2 T dried artichoke hearts
1 T dried zucchini dices
1 t dried parsley
1 packet True Lemon (or more to taste)
½ t vegetable bouillon
½ t dried oregano
¼ t onion flakes
¼ t garlic powder

At home: combine everything in a zip locking plastic bag.

In camp: add enough hot water to cover. Allow to sit until the rice and vegetables are rehydrated. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil to taste.

Pringles
09-15-2010, 16:15
Sounds marvelous. I love anything with artichokes. Thanks for sharing that.

Pringles

wicca32
09-15-2010, 19:01
think I'll leave out the artichoke, LOL

LaurieAnn
09-16-2010, 11:12
I make stuffed peppers for the trail but I do it a little differently. I cook the peppers at home (stuffed) and then I empty them, chop the pepper into small pieces for drying and dehydrate the entire mixture. This way it has the intensified flavor that only comes from roasting the grain mixture inside the pepper.

That said, this looks like a quick and easy dish for the trail and one could easily add a bit of meat to this as well.

Having different recipe points of view is kind of fun... keep things interesting.

Dicentra
09-16-2010, 12:06
think I'll leave out the artichoke, LOL

And that, my friend, is the beauty of making your own food! You don't need a dehydrator if you do it that way too. You can find all of the ingredients either at the store or online. :)

sarbar
09-16-2010, 13:38
Mmm...artichokies....speaking of which Di, I need to go dry some up. Me thinks a trip to Trader Joe's for a number of cans of the hearts is in my sights this week.

Dicentra
09-16-2010, 13:40
Mmm...artichokies....speaking of which Di, I need to go dry some up. Me thinks a trip to Trader Joe's for a number of cans of the hearts is in my sights this week.

Ditto dat! I'll have some in the dehydrator next week. Been making LOTS of stuff lately. The supplies are running low... :)

sarbar
09-16-2010, 13:47
Di, have fun at Pickle Gulch! And be sure to feed everyone well :)

Dicentra
09-16-2010, 13:49
Di, have fun at Pickle Gulch! And be sure to feed everyone well :)

I'm excited! I have a HUGE bag of to-be-tested packed and the hikers have promised to eat anything I throw their way... Photos shall follow! Maybe recipes too, if yur nice. ;)

wicca32
09-16-2010, 14:30
I can't wait to get my dehydrater, so many recipes, so little time!

sarbar
09-16-2010, 19:22

Hehheh! You will have fun!

LaurieAnn
09-17-2010, 07:52

The nice thing about a dehydrator is that it doesn't have to be time consuming. Just put your leftover stew, soup or chili on the trays... plug it in and walk away.

Have fun with it!! :)