PDA

View Full Version : Packing List for comment

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 21:37
I am planning on a NOBO thru-hike starting in mid April 2011. This is my current packing list. Please pick it apart and make any recommendations for change.

Packing
REI Venturi 40 w/o lid 40.4oz
Trash Compactor bag liner 2.2oz
42.6oz

Shelter System
MLD tarp 8.5oz
Equinox bivy sack 5.7oz
Nylon ground cloth 6.9oz
Stakes 3.0oz
Stake bag 0.2oz
Stuff sack 0.9oz
31.8oz

Sleep system
Thermorest NeoAir 13.7oz
REI 40* Kilo Flash 18.9oz
Stuff Sack 0.9oz
33.5oz

Cooking / Eating kit
0.9 liter T-ware pot 5.2oz
Sea to Summit aluminum spoon 0.3oz
American Airlines coffee cup 2.2oz
Vargo Decagon stove 1.4oz
Windscreen 0.8oz
Pot cozy 1.3oz
Lighter 0.5oz
Pot scrubber 0.1oz
8oz fuel bottle 1.1oz
12.9oz

Clothing
Rain jacket 8.5oz
Rain trousers 6.1oz
Down jacket 12.7oz
Bandanna 1.1oz
Socks (1.5oz x 2) 3.0oz
Thermal bottoms 5.8oz
Thermal top 8.8oz
Sleep socks 3.9oz
Gloves 1.2oz
Beanie cap 1.8oz
53.7oz

Toiletrees
Toilet paper 1.9oz
Trowel 1.4oz
Toothbrush 0.2oz
Nail clippers 0.7oz
1 fl oz Campsuds 1.5oz
Ditty bag 0.2oz
6.0oz

First Aid kit
First Aid supplies 1.2oz
Insect repellant 0.6oz
Ditty bag 0.2oz
2.0oz
Water
Water filter bottle 8.0oz
100oz Platy 1.2oz
9.2oz

Misc.
Headlamp 2.0oz
Knife 0.7oz
P-38 0.2oz
Camera 6.6oz
Pencil and notebook 1.2oz
Compass 0.2oz
10.9oz

Total 12.3 lbs

Thanks for any input.

perrito
09-15-2010, 21:42
Bravo! Looks like you're dialed in. Are you sure you have enough TP? :p

aaronthebugbuffet
09-15-2010, 21:45
Looks solid. You can always make some minor adjustments as you go.

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 21:48
Bravo! Looks like you're dialed in. Are you sure you have enough TP? :p

Thats one fresh roll (of whatever brand my wife buys) with the tube removed.

10-K
09-15-2010, 21:48
Maps? Guidebook?

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 21:51
Maps? Guidebook?
I have yet to decide on the specifics of maps and/or guidebook yet. I guess I should throw in a placeholder for those. If I go with a Thru-Hikers Companion and one map at a time, thats about 13 oz added.

Danielsen
09-15-2010, 21:56
Looks pretty good to me, except that while you seem to have an ultralight shelter and sleep system put together pretty well, you're carrying a 40 oz. pack. Particularly with a 12lb dry weight, you could certainly spend less than $150 to get a much lighter pack. Do you stick with it because you find it particularly comfortable for you or like the features (perfectly good reasons) or do you think it'd be worth it to drop a pound or two? :p

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 22:00
Looks pretty good to me, except that while you seem to have an ultralight shelter and sleep system put together pretty well, you're carrying a 40 oz. pack. Particularly with a 12lb dry weight, you could certainly spend less than $150 to get a much lighter pack. Do you stick with it because you find it particularly comfortable for you or like the features (perfectly good reasons) or do you think it'd be worth it to drop a pound or two? :p
I have a few lighter packs and using one of them would drop my weight +/- a pound. Since I got my current pack though, I have found that it is MUCH more comfortable than anything else that I currently have. Having said that; I am looking at a few others that I may try out if I can get my hands on samples to test.

Moose2001
09-15-2010, 22:01
40 degree bag......you'll be VERY cold. The southern mountains even in mid-April can, and will, be cold. My experience with REI bags is they are very optomistic on their temp ratings. Most hikers start with a 20 degree bag.

If you have a tarp.....do you need the bivy sack as well?

Down jackets are nice but I'd go with a fleece instead. If the down gets wet, you're screwed.

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 22:14
40 degree bag......you'll be VERY cold. The southern mountains even in mid-April can, and will, be cold. My experience with REI bags is they are very optomistic on their temp ratings. Most hikers start with a 20 degree bag.

If you have a tarp.....do you need the bivy sack as well?

Down jackets are nice but I'd go with a fleece instead. If the down gets wet, you're screwed.
I sleep fairly warm and have found that the 40* rating is accurate for me. I have built the sleep system over several years of use here in the Rockies. I have found that the bag alone is good to 40* in my skivvies. It has been comfortable down to 15* with the addition of the bivy, thermals, down jacket, cap and gloves. Below that, it is too cold but comfort but warm enough for survival. ( I have had it, unvoluntarily, down to -5* and survived). Slept cold but survived it and got a real clear picture of what the limits of the system are. When I initially planned on using this system I was hoping to be able to use the same bag (minus the extras) during the summer as well. The reason for the bivy is twofold. I use it to extend the range of the system a few degrees as well as providing a little extra protection against rain blowing under the tarp. Is that much of a concern on the trail? With a five day supply of food in the pack, I still have room for the added bulk of a fleece jacket so I need to give that some serious consideration.

Moose2001
09-15-2010, 22:18
Sounds like you've tested your system and it works for you. That's the most important thing. Don't be afraid to bail from the Smokies if the snow comes though! :)

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 22:22
Sounds like you've tested your system and it works for you. That's the most important thing. Don't be afraid to bail from the Smokies if the snow comes though! :)
The system is tested and works well for me but even more important; I know to when to say when.:)

Elder
09-15-2010, 22:29
Bring Leki's from Germany!

Elder
09-15-2010, 22:30
Whoops, wrong address!
Still need the Lekis!

james-skinner
09-15-2010, 22:31
Bring Leki's from Germany!
lol. I just changed my location. I'm not in Germany anymore. And, trekking poles have never worked for me anyway.

10-K
09-16-2010, 07:35
Fleece is nice but it takes up a lot of space. For hiking a long way I'd go with something a bit more compressable.

I have a Mont Bell thermowrap that I really like.

bigcranky
09-16-2010, 07:48
It's a good list. The only thing I'll say about trekking poles is that I've met several hikers from out West who swore up and down that they didn't need poles. In each case that lasted 30 miles to Neels Gap. Your mileage may vary, of course.

james-skinner
09-16-2010, 08:20
It's a good list. The only thing I'll say about trekking poles is that I've met several hikers from out West who swore up and down that they didn't need poles. In each case that lasted 30 miles to Neels Gap. Your mileage may vary, of course.
I may find that I want them at some point but for now I don't think I will use them. I have carried them on trips several times and always finish the trip with the poles lashed to my pack. I have spent my entire adult life as an Army infantryman, walking in the woods with a weapon which keeps my hands around my belt buckle. When I backpack, I tend to find myself tucking my thumbs into by belt and keeping my hands there. I may find that after a long time on the trail I may erase that muscle memory and find a need for the poles. I'll have to set those aside to be mailed as needed.

tzbrown
09-16-2010, 08:29
That looks like a pretty good list to start.

Adjustments will be made along the way no doubt.

The only suggestion I have is to change the ground cloth to a lighter one.

Gossamer gear
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

Happy Hiking

Spokes
09-16-2010, 08:44
Whatcha gonna do for a set of "dry" clothes and camp shoes?

james-skinner
09-16-2010, 09:02
That looks like a pretty good list to start.

Adjustments will be made along the way no doubt.

The only suggestion I have is to change the ground cloth to a lighter one.

Gossamer gear
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gossamergear/polycryo_ground_cloth.html

Happy Hiking
I hava considered changing the ground cloth to one of the GG polycros but was concerned about the durability of 2 mil plastic. Will they stand up to 4-5 months of daily use?

Spokes
09-16-2010, 09:24
I hava considered changing the ground cloth to one of the GG polycros but was concerned about the durability of 2 mil plastic. Will they stand up to 4-5 months of daily use?

Piece of Tyvek will last. Put some extra in your BB.

JAK
09-16-2010, 09:47
Nice kit.

Something I have to question is how evenly you are covered when wearing all of this clothing at once, for the worst conditions. I figure that you don't need to be evenly layered all the time, because when active in warmer conditions, you don't have to delayer evenly, because you still have to carry what weight you don't wear. But I think when you are wearing it all, for whatever the worst is that you are prepared for, it should provide more or less even coverage. Perhaps a little more in the neck, head, and chest area because the skin temperature is warmer there, like 93F and less in the calf and knee and hands area because skin temperature can be colder there, like 73F. So for 30F temperatures perhaps 1.5 times more in upper core and neck regions, compared to legs. Feet still need more because they are more likely to be wet, even though they can be colder.

Clothing
Rain jacket 8.5oz
Rain trousers 6.1oz
Down jacket 12.7oz
Bandanna 1.1oz
Socks (1.5oz x 2) 3.0oz
Thermal bottoms 5.8oz
Thermal top 8.8oz
Sleep socks 3.9oz
Gloves 1.2oz
Beanie cap 1.8oz
53.7oz

So perhaps a light wool neck tube would add alot? Also, I'm not big on down jackets, especially with such thin pants. Perhaps your thinking worse comes to worse you are in the sleeping bag to warm up. That works, but still I think the clothing you do carry should cover the body somewhat more evenly, when you need to wear it all. One region should be insulated more than 1.5 times as much as another. I think your body and arms might be 3 times as much as your butt and legs, and head and neck.

JAK
09-16-2010, 09:49
I meant to say NO more than 1.5 times as much.

JAK
09-16-2010, 09:59
If you were to drop the down jacket, and spread that 12.7oz more evenly, and include a neck tube. Also consider dropping the rain trousers and adding that weight more evenly also. Not sure how long your rain jacket is. You aren't working with much weight here so I am not sure how you would adjust for conditions. Do you have no hiking shorts or what? Some running shorts maybe, for wearing with bare legs or as a wind layer over the thermal bottoms. It seems odd to go so light and not have the option of hiking with bare legs on warmer more active hiking days.

tzbrown
09-16-2010, 10:06
I have one polycro groundcloth that I have used for 3 years.
Well over 300 nights, many on the ground on sticks and rocks, some in shelters. It only has one small hole from a thorn.

These are very durable. This is not just 2 mil plastic. I have used Tyvek also but it is just to bulky and heavy.

Also check out oven roasting turkey bags. Very tough plastic for a stuff sack.

JAK
09-16-2010, 10:18
Ditch the sleep socks also, and the gloves, for kit this light.
You can wear your 2nd socks as mitts, to dry them.
Ditch the bandana also.

Same weight:

Clothing
Rain jacket 8.5 oz
Running Shorts 2 oz
Socks (1.5oz x 2) 3 oz
Skin Thermal bottoms 5 oz
100wt Fleece bottoms 12 oz
Wool Sweater 18 oz
Peruvian hat with ear flaps 3 oz
Neck Tube 2.2 oz
53.7oz

JAK
09-16-2010, 10:21
For myself, being somewhat larger maybe, that would be 50oz not counting the rain shell.
I would only depend on that to a low of 30F, being 1oz per degF below 80F.

JAK
09-16-2010, 10:23
Yeah, I go naked for lows of 80deg F. Who doesn't?

JAK
09-16-2010, 10:26
I would add a running shirt, for sun protection on warm days.
Loose enough to wear OVER or under the sweater.
Sometimes going over makes a pseudo-wind shell.

JAK
09-16-2010, 10:31
If your tarp was a poncho tarp you could exchange the rain jacket for a light sun/rain hat and a wind shell and the running shirt.

JAK
09-16-2010, 10:37
So then, not counting your poncho/tarp, something like:
Socks (1.5oz x 2) 3 oz
Running Shorts 2 oz
Skin Thermal bottoms 5 oz
100wt Fleece bottoms 12 oz
Running Shirt 2 oz
Wool Sweater 18 oz
Wind Shell 4.5 oz
Peruvian hat with ear flaps 3 oz
Neck Tube 2.2 oz
Brimmed Hat 2 oz
53.7oz

Mongoose2
09-16-2010, 13:38
James, nice list. I would second the need to re-consider the 40 degree bag. I assume the thermals are poly-pro? Never had any use for my P38 on the trail, and you will not need insect repellent to much later in the season. I also prefer four pair of socks (with a 2nd set of dry shorts and shirt) and use frogg toggs for my rain gear (very lightweight) and my heel versus a trowl. I did not see maps or guidebooks...a compass is not much good without a map. Overall, a great list! Good luck!

Luddite
09-16-2010, 14:15
You can wear your 2nd socks as mitts, to dry them.

Ewww :D After a day or two of hiking my socks smell like a dead animal. I don't even like putting them on my feet.

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2010, 15:05
Good list so far.

*I agree with the folks who've suggested you may well want a warmer
sleeping bag. You will absolutely see nights that get well below 40 degrees.
*You might want something warmer than a "beanie" cap.
*I second the use of maps.
*You'll most likely want a journal of some sort; also something else to read,
preferably not trail-related.
*Instead of ditching your bandana, I'd bring along a second one.
*Don't forget a small repair kit: Duct tape; a few safety pins, needle and
thread, etc.
*If you're not planning on carrying a phone, you might want to bring a watch.
*Lastly, while you'll probably want some sort of bug net system later in your
trip, you certainly won't need one at the outset of a NOBO hike. Therefore,
I question why you're bringing a bivy AND a tarp. Personally, I'd leave the
bivy.

mountain squid
09-16-2010, 19:09
Some observations:

camp footwear
50 ft of rope/cord
does your platypus have a drinking tube for drinking on the go?
hand sanitizer
sun screen (no leaves on the trees)
whistle
ear plugs

Concur:
maps and Companion
duct tape

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Trailbender
09-16-2010, 19:39
I am planning on a NOBO thru-hike starting in mid April 2011. This is my current packing list. Please pick it apart and make any recommendations for change.

Packing
REI Venturi 40 w/o lid 40.4oz
Trash Compactor bag liner 2.2oz
42.6oz

Shelter System
MLD tarp 8.5oz
Equinox bivy sack 5.7oz
Nylon ground cloth 6.9oz
Stakes 3.0oz-I got 8 Ti stakes that are 1.6 oz together
Stake bag 0.2oz
Stuff sack 0.9oz
31.8oz

Sleep system
Thermorest NeoAir 13.7oz
REI 40* Kilo Flash 18.9oz
Stuff Sack 0.9oz
33.5oz

Cooking / Eating kit
0.9 liter T-ware pot 5.2oz
Sea to Summit aluminum spoon 0.3oz
American Airlines coffee cup 2.2oz-can drink coffee out of pot
Vargo Decagon stove 1.4oz
Windscreen 0.8oz
Pot cozy 1.3oz-not needed
Lighter 0.5oz
Pot scrubber 0.1oz
8oz fuel bottle 1.1oz
12.9oz

Clothing
Rain jacket 8.5oz
Rain trousers 6.1oz
Down jacket 12.7oz
Bandanna 1.1oz
Socks (1.5oz x 2) 3.0oz
Thermal bottoms 5.8oz
Thermal top 8.8oz
Sleep socks 3.9oz
Gloves 1.2oz
Beanie cap 1.8oz
53.7oz

Toiletrees
Toilet paper 1.9oz
Trowel 1.4oz-not needed, use a stick or bootheel
Toothbrush 0.2oz
Nail clippers 0.7oz-not needed, learn to trim nails with a pocketknife
1 fl oz Campsuds 1.5oz
Ditty bag 0.2oz
6.0oz

First Aid kit
First Aid supplies 1.2oz
Insect repellant 0.6oz
Ditty bag 0.2oz
2.0oz
Water
Water filter bottle 8.0oz-I used a 1 oz dropper of bleach my whole thru with no issues, with a 2L gatorade bottle
100oz Platy 1.2oz
9.2oz

Misc.
Headlamp 2.0oz
Knife 0.7oz
P-38 0.2oz
Camera 6.6oz
Pencil and notebook 1.2oz-take a couple sheets of paper and a cut down bic pen
Compass 0.2oz
10.9oz

Total 12.3 lbs

Thanks for any input.

My replies are in italics, I finished my thru August 12, 2010. Also, one of my favorite tips are to wear women's underwear. They are 3-4x lighter than men's, and are much more comfortable. It's also nice to slip on a pair of panties at the end of a long day of hiking, feels really sexy.

4eyedbuzzard
09-16-2010, 19:54
My replies are in italics, I finished my thru August 12, 2010. Also, one of my favorite tips are to wear women's underwear. They are 3-4x lighter than men's, and are much more comfortable. It's also nice to slip on a pair of panties at the end of a long day of hiking, feels really sexy.

And to think that all these years I've only worn them work.

Trailbender
09-16-2010, 21:36
If your tarp was a poncho tarp you could exchange the rain jacket for a light sun/rain hat and a wind shell and the running shirt.

I found out the hard way that poncho tarps suck for raingear. They blow everywhere in the wind and offer no protection.

Forever North
09-17-2010, 16:29
I was just woundering what you all might think of this "V" bag. I don't know anything more about it but from what I read in the add. http://www.luxurylite.com/bagindex.html

sbhikes
09-17-2010, 20:34
I had a polycro sheet last over 1200 miles. Another lasted 1800 with a few clear tape patches. You get two when you order, so you can either bounce the second one ahead or tape together if you need a wider sheet. So cheap it almost doesn't matter how long they last. Good site selection is the key to long life with these. Strange stuff they are made of.

JAK
09-18-2010, 11:35
I like the idea of a bandana, or scarf, as they can be handy. Also, I do like a rain jacket vs rain poncho especially up on ridges. Just where his list is so light on clothing, I figured he had to make some compromises. I would bring those things, and more clothing, and a map, before 50 feet of rope.

My points were more about spreading the weight of clothing around, whatever weight it is. I don't think a down vest or jacket makes much sense if the rest of your body is so exposed. When hiking, it is ok to delayer unevenly, but when you put all the clothing on for the worst conditions you packet for I think it should cover everything more or less evenly. When deciding what to bring I just get dressed evenly for the worst conditions, and that is all I bring, plus maybe extra socks, and in winter sometimes my long wool underwear as a kicker for my sleeping bag, or a total immersion event or whatever. I then check to consider how I would delayer for most days, and as long as there is enough flexibility for hot/cold, dry/wet, active/camp, windy/woodsy, i'm good to go.

Torch09
09-19-2010, 07:36
Looks good to me. You seem like you know what's going on. If you're like me, then you probably have tons of other gear at home. My stategy is to have all the stuff i'm not taking organized so that if i want to swap out a piece of gear, all it takes is a phone call to my family and poof! they can mail it out to me right away. Its all about fine tuning your load and adapting to changes in weather, terrain, and style. I doubt anyone ends the trail with all the exact same gear they started with.

jimplatz
09-19-2010, 08:16
You have a great list, hard to improve upon.
Some thoughts:
Pack cover?
Stuff sack for bear bagging?
Cord or string (bear bagging)?
Needle (blisters/sewing)?
Floss (sewing)?
MLD Alpine bivy (don't need tarp, grnd cloth, etc. and weighs 17oz with stuff sack)

Trailbender
09-19-2010, 10:24
Looks good to me. You seem like you know what's going on. If you're like me, then you probably have tons of other gear at home. My stategy is to have all the stuff i'm not taking organized so that if i want to swap out a piece of gear, all it takes is a phone call to my family and poof! they can mail it out to me right away. Its all about fine tuning your load and adapting to changes in weather, terrain, and style. I doubt anyone ends the trail with all the exact same gear they started with.

I am a minimalist at home, so I don't own much stuff. If I replace gear(which is rare, my pack is pretty much perfected right now) I give the old stuff to friends or toss it. I hate owning a bunch of stuff, and it is even worse since I got done with my thru.

quasarr
09-26-2010, 19:58
Hey there!

I haven't read the whole thread, sorry if this has already been pointed out. But you mentioned that you developed your sleep system in the Rocky Mtns. Beware, the humidity in the East can make a difference. Damp air conducts heat better than dry air. And even if you keep your sleeping bag out of the rain, the constant humidity can sneak a bit of moisture into your bag's filling. And you can forget drying it out until you get to town.

I'm mentioning this because I have seen more than one self-proclaimed-14er-climbing-Colorado badass turn into a weenie in the relentless rain!!! :P Not saying that's you, just that people raised in the West are used to different conditions than the AT.

Stir Fry
09-26-2010, 20:17
You might want to rethink your sleeping bag. You will have many cold nights with a 40* bag even with every thing on. In April there will still be nights in the 20. I have tried the REI bags and there rating is servial not comfort. I would at least sugest you try it at home on a cold night this winter. After you get on the trail its harder to adjust.