PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide between Steripen and pump

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 03:43
I didn't see a section devoted to gear questions so I thought I'd post this here. I generally use Aquamira for treating my water. I've used it for years and haven't had anything but good experiences. Still, I have been thinking of trying something new. I've never really seen the attraction to pumps, though. I've used some that I've borrowed from others and I find most of them either bulky, heavy, or (most commonly) a lot of work for very little output. I used an MSR microworks while on the trail recently. A fellow hiker was using it and he offered to let me try it out to fill up with. I found it to be a really unpleasant experience. Lots of work for just one liter of water. Plus his filter kept needing to be cleaned after a bottle or two worth of water. Anyway, I've been looking for review on sites that sell filters and such but I can't find enough consumer info about the two options that I am thinking of trying out. The first is the Steripen. Now, this seems really easy and even quicker than using Aquamira drops. I read a couple of thread on WB about it and it seems that the main complaint was that there is one model that uses and obscure battery and goes through them pretty quick. Anyone have any experience with the other models? I also saw the new battery-less crank version called the Sidewinder on their site. It apparently hasn't been released yet but looked cool except for the fact that it weighs over 16 ounces and looks a little bulky. So, my other option is the Katadyn Vario. I've seen that the primary complaint about it seems to be that there is a pre-filter that can get clogged easily but it looks like it has a good throughput and is fairly small and light. Anyone know about the durability of the Vario and the Steripen? Dropped on on rocks or anything? For me, I think that it's most important if I am shelling out the buck for one of these, that it be fast, easy to use, and (in the case of a pump) be field maintainable. I'll still carry drops as a backup but I'd like to try another option since sometimes it can be tough to dip out of a tiny stream and fill up a bottle for drops then the stream is only a few inches deep. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Appalachian Tater
09-16-2010, 04:55
The Katadyn Hiker works well and is reliable. You will find advantages and disadvantages and proponents and opponents of any method of water treatment. Although all of them improve the safety of the water, only a filter will improve the palatability of the water.

Marta
09-16-2010, 07:03
We've been using a Steripen classic (bought cheaply during an REI sale) for a couple of years. Love it. You do need to put lithium batteries in it; alkaline batteries will work but die quickly. I find it quicker than chemicals. Like chemicals, the water you find is the water you get, but as an Aqua Mira user, you're already accustomed to that.

myles to go
09-16-2010, 07:53
The Katadyn Hiker works well and is reliable. You will find advantages and disadvantages and proponents and opponents of any method of water treatment. Although all of them improve the safety of the water, only a filter will improve the palatability of the water.
I have the hiker as well and have never had trouble on the trail. It does not clog up and you would have a hard time breaking it. Not having the wait time of other methods and dead batteries to worry about is worth the extra weight of any pump I think. Being able to stop and pump fresh water at a moments notice means you can carry less water weight.

Philip
09-16-2010, 08:47
I've been using the Katadyn Vario for a year now. Yes, the ceramic prefilter does have a tendency to clog if you're filtering excessively dirty water. But to me, this just means it is doing it's job and filtering down to .02 microns.

To resolve the issue, you can literally pop out the ceramic prefilter in about one second flat and hit it with a brillo pad right quick and be back in business momentarily. It'll fill up a Nalgene in about 60 seconds if the ceramic filter is good and clean, and the pump is easy to handle and sturdy as well. It even screws right onto my Nalgene bottles to make it even easier. For my Camelbak and/or water bags, it just takes a second to pop on the output hose...

-OR-

You can even give the prefilter a twist in the housing about 60 degrees to set it on "by-pass" mode and still have two more filtration methods (fiber and charcoal filters) working for you to provide clean, clear and good tasting water.

I bought this particular filter because it offers three different filters in one (ceramic, fiber & charcoal), and because it will filter over 200 gallons between filter changes if taken care of properly. This means it's super-low maintenance and I don't have to carry extra filters around in anticipation of needing them anytime soon.

It is pretty much ready to go right out of the box, but I did add a piece of cotton handkerchief attached to the intake screen with a rubber band-like hair thingie to help avoid sucking large particulate into the ceramic filter. This modification cut my ceramic filter cleaning duty in half.

I also like that it came with it's own carry bag, which I attached to the outside of my pack with zip-ties for easy access.

The only downside is it's one of the heavier pieces of kit I carry (14 ozs dry if I recall), but I just make concessions elsewhere in my gear selections to make up for it. I prefer the peace of mind a superior filtration system offers as opposed to saving a few ounces.

I also use about four drops-per-liter of Clorox as an added measure of safety. With this system, I've drank everything from partially consumed bottled water found on the trail to pond water and have never had a problem.

Mags
09-16-2010, 09:28
Something I wrote earlier...

You are going to get a plethora of opinions from people and specific brands of water filter to use and blah, blah, blah, blah. Next to knives, this is probably the most discussed topic on hiking boards...yet has the least impact on your trip.

Here's my quick and dirty take on water treatment. I don't think there is ANY best gear (yeah..I say it a lot. 'cause it is s true and all the gear wonks on this board tend to forget that)..just what is best for you and your style of hiking.

My (biased) take:

STERIPEN: The main advantage is that it is quicker than other methods. Does not filter out the 'floaties' easily (use a bandanna). Sometimes has difficulty with cloudy water (not as much an issue on the AT vs other trails). Somewhat expensive. Does take batteries. Needs to be taken care of a bit more than other methods (like anything electronic you carry)

Best for if you want the absolute quickest and simplest water treatment and do not beat on your gear.

FILTER/PURIFIER: If weight and bulk is not an issue, this tried and true method of water treatments works well. Quicker than the gravity filter, if a little slower than other methods. There is a clogging issue..but it does filter floaties better than chemicals or the Steripen. In cold weather, you do have a chance with the filter freezing. Be sure to keep your intake (dirty) and outtake (clean) water hoses separated.

Best for people who filter all their water and do not want to worry about electronics and variable water conditions. Tends to be on the go more than a gravity filter will warrant.

GRAVITY FILTER: Basically the same as above..but w/o a pump. Good if you spend time in camp and/or don't mind longer breaks (that can be a good thing. ;) ) Simple to use..but time consuming

Best for people who tend to spend more time in camp than hike. Really good for treatment of lots of water at once. Again, works really well in camp.

CHEMICALS: Iodine, tabs, etc. If you are minimalist and/or do not treat all your water, this method works well.

Best for what I just said above. :)

So figure out the basics of your hiking style and go appropriately. I rarely treat my water, tend to go light/minimal and hike more than camp. So chemicals (Iodine tabs in particular) work well for me. Your backpacking style may make for a different choice that is better for you. :)

ALSO: DON'T FORGET TO WASH YOUR MAIL BEFORE EATING AND AFTER DOING #2! AND WHEN SHARING FOOD, POUR THE GORP IN SOMEONE ELSE HANDS RATHER THAN LETTING THEM STICK THEIR HANDS INTO YOUR FOOD!

Basic hygiene will prevent more GI illnesses than any other type of treatment.

Spokes
09-16-2010, 09:40
I saw so many thru's cuss their SteriPens in 2009 it really turned me off. Most of the problems were due to the units shutting down due to red light errors.

Their customer service wasn't much better and usually involved accusing the user of installing the wrong batteries.

They even told one thru to spit in his water (among other things) before using the device to increase the electrolyte content so the probe would work properly. Look under number 5 in the Troubleshooting FAQ section HERE (http://www.steripen.com/support-faq) on their web page.

I'll stick with AquaMira and save my money and the hassle.

Mags
09-16-2010, 09:52
They even told one thru to spit in his water (among other things) before using the device to increase the electrolyte content so the probe would work properly. Look under number 5 in the Troubleshooting FAQ section HERE (http://www.steripen.com/support-faq) on their web page.

On occasion though, very pure water may be encountered – most often in areas where water is from recent snow melt.

Hmm..make sure to filter all the water...including the very pure water. :D

If I see a steripen user, I'm going to ask them to 'treat' my water. If it doesn't work I know I am golden. If they are tempted to spit in the water, I'll ask them to hold off a bit before they huck a lugey into it! ;)

10-K
09-16-2010, 09:54
This is just based on my observation but the majority of people I have watched try to filter water in various ways don't really do it right anyway and would be just as well off drinking it without treating it.

The exception being that a pump has the advantage of at least making water coming out of a puddle at least look clean even if it has all kinds of stuff still in it.

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 10:10
Thanks for all the opinions. I really want to believe that the Steripen is a good reliable product but it's getting harder to think that the more I hear about it. The Vario sounds good but the weight is a bit of an issue. I usually go pretty light and, although I can make concessions elsewhere, there's not too much other weight I can cut because I don't carry anything unnecessary. I'm not one to fret about ounces but pounds are a different story! Still, I guess it's something that I would definitely get use out of and if it's durable and has a good flow rate then I wouldn't feel ripped off. What's important to me is really how quick I can get water and get moving again. It doesn't matter so much at camp but during those small breaks where I just want to fill up at a source and maybe eat a snack I want to get going in five or ten minutes. That's why I like drops. But it still means 20 minutes or so before you can drink the water (five to react and fifteen to work in the bottle).

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 10:13
Oh, and what's this about pumps not working below 32f? I'd say that most of my nights spent in the woods get down in the 30's at least. So would I wake up to a useless piece of $100 or more plastic?

Pedaling Fool
09-16-2010, 10:24
Oh, and what's this about pumps not working below 32f? I'd say that most of my nights spent in the woods get down in the 30's at least. So would I wake up to a useless piece of $100 or more plastic?
My recommendation would be to not use anything, hasn't killed me yet. I don't know about using filters, but I would think it'd be alright to use it below freezing as long as you didn't allow water to freeze in the unit overnight. In other words just drain it in the evening...I guess.

Maddog
09-16-2010, 10:37
i attempted to use a steripen on my thru-hike this year. i left the original batteries and the battery tab in the steripen until i arrived at my first sheler.(gooch) when i removed the battery tab from the steripen it overheated and melted. i sent it back to rei the next day.(neels gap). i used my back-up micropur the rest of the hike. maddog

Philip
09-16-2010, 10:44
Steripens - I'm definitely attracted to anything electronic as I am a gear geek at heart. However, I too have read too many stories about pen problems leaving the user stranded without clean water. They sound fragile and unreliable. Plus, you're still not getting "clean" water even if the pen really does kill the bad bugs in it. It's not for me.

Vario - Granted I live in south Texas and have not done any sub-freezing hiking (yet). But nonetheless I theorize that were I to do so, I would definitely put my filter inside my bag with me overnight. It takes days to dry out completely after I get home from a hike, so the chance of it freezing is surely there. Lucky for me, I'm only 66" tall. This leaves plenty of room at the toe of my men's bag for water bottles and the filter without cramping my style. My only worry would be a leak as I do use a down bag. I'd definitely put the filter in a ziplock to avoid any late night dribble.

Jonnycat
09-16-2010, 11:17
I've been using the same Hiker pump since it was sold by Pur in the mid-nineties, and it's still going strong. The weight is a small penalty for the ease and speed of use.

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 13:27
I went to the local outfitter's and looked at both the Steripen and the Vario today. I'm starting to lean toward the Vario. Like I said, I'll still carry my drops as a backup but it would be nice to get the little floaties out and insure that I am not drinking any cow poop (even if it's sterile cow poop). Anybody know how often you have to change the charcoal in the Vario?

Odd Man Out
09-16-2010, 14:50
Something I wrote earlier...
GRAVITY FILTER: Basically the same as above..but w/o a pump. Good if you spend time in camp and/or don't mind longer breaks (that can be a good thing. ;) ) Simple to use..but time consuming
Best for people who tend to spend more time in camp than hike. Really good for treatment of lots of water at once. Again, works really well in camp.

I would question this analysis. Using the spec from a major outdoor retailer, I found the following flow rates for pumps vs gravity filters:

PUMPS:
Katadyn Hiker/Hiker pro = 1 Liter per minute (LPM)
Katadyn Pocket = 0.86 LPM
Katadyn Vario = 1.1 LPM to 2.2 LPM
MSR Miniworks = 0.83 LPM
MSR Sweetwater = 1 LPM
MSR Hyperflow = 2.75 LPM

GRAVITY:
Katadyn Base Camp = 0.5 LPM
Platypus Clean Stream = 1.6 LPM
Sawyer Water Treatment = 1 LPM
MSR Autoflow = 1.75 LPM

There is a bit of a range and the actual performance will vary a bit, but it seems that the gravity systems are in the same range of flow rate as the pumps. And considering that while you are filtering with gravity you can be doing other things, your water/rest breaks may be shorter or at least you can spend your rest break resting instead of pumping. I have the ULA gravity filter which is no longer made, but uses the Katadyn Hiker Pro and could be MacGyvered pretty easily from sylnylon, cord, tubing and connectors.

Also, the weight of the gravity systems are 11 oz to 13 oz, vs 8 oz to 19 for the pumps. So there is not a significant disadvantage in weight.

Another advantage for some of the gravity systems is that you can rig them up a variety of ways. For example, with some you can put the filter on a drinking tube and drink untreated water directly from a water bottle or from the stream.

Rain Man
09-16-2010, 15:15
I have both the Katadyn Hiker and the Steripen Classic. Since getting the Steripen, I've not taken the Hiker with me again. I simply have never ever run into dirty water yet on the AT, in 800 miles through the South. So, filtering "floaties" or even "muddy" water has never been an issue. Maybe I'm not as fastidious as some?

I found the Hiker to be time-consuming and Steripen quick. On bitter cold days at a spring, that makes all the difference to me.

I have never had the Steripen fail on me, but on a couple of occasions it didn't seem to want to work. I re-read the instructions and found that I needed to make sure the electrical contact pins might need to be dried between uses. Plus, I needed to know what the blinking lights meant. Since then, no problems.

As far as chemical drops, I'm always confused. I don't think I've read the instructions on any chemical drops that do not say it takes up to FOUR HOURS for them to be fully effective. Yet, users talk about "20 minutes." I don't know if they know something I don't, or if they just rely on "common knowledge" rather than reading the instructions. But, I don't rely on drops, so it's no skin off my back.

Anyway, I like my Katadyn Hiker, but I use my Steripen (with lithium batteries).

But the best solution of all? Hike with a partner or group and share a filter/purifier!

Rain:sunMan

Cosmo
09-16-2010, 16:42
Regardless of what device you carry, you should probably have chemical backup--unless you are OK with raw water. Pump filters are handy if you drink from a hydration bladder, you can fill it directly from the pump.

I think the way most people (including myself, on occasion) handle the pump/filter gear would probably end up contaminating your clean water. It takes a lot of careful planning and orderly execution not to get a single drop of raw water into or onto some part of gear or your hands (which then transfer the contaminants to your drink or water carrier). If our AT water sources were truly contaminated (say a pond in the middle of a cow pasture) we might find our methods are less effective than we imagine.

Cosmo

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 18:29
Agreed Cosmo! I have seen many people incorrectly using chemicals and pumps. If the source had been contaminated to begin with it wouldn't have mattered that they went through the process of "purifying" it. Which brings me to what Rain Man said. I have used Aquamira for years and it has never failed me. The instructions on it are to allow the two chemicals to react for five minutes then to add it to your water and let it do its thing for 15 minutes. Nothing about four hours there but I have seen that on the tablet version of Aquamira and on other chemical treatments. You also have to be careful to wipe dry the thread on your bottle and the cap/squeeze top. Oh, and thanks for that info Odd Man Out. I hadn't considered the gravity filters but, having looked at the throughput on that MSR Autoflow, that's definitely something I'm going to look into. If not too pricey it could be a good alternative. Even if I continue to use my drops during the day and fill up with my dinner/breakfast water with it in the evening. Thanks again for everyone's input!

bigcranky
09-16-2010, 18:46
If you're going to carry the drops anyway, in addition to the filter or steripen, then aren't you just carrying redundant weight?

We own both an MSR Miniworks and a Katadyn Hiker filter. The Hiker is much easier to use in the field, while the MSR is easier to clean (but the Hiker doesn't ever need cleaning.) When I hike with my wife, we bring the filter. When I hike by myself, I use Aqua Mira drops. Easy and fast.

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 20:21
The drops don't weigh much.
Sometimes I also hike with partners who don't have much in gear.
I'd like to try something new.
Redundancy isn't a bad thing when it comes to things like water and contact lenses.
Etc.
I'm just asking for advice since I keep hearing bad things about pretty much every water purification/treatment system out there. Trying to get down to whether or not any of them are worth the money since I hear so many stories about failed pumps and battery problems with Steripens. I think I'd rather carry an extra couple of ounces in drops than be without anything if whatever system I take the chance on happens to fail. That being said, I'd still like to give one of them a try for the above reasons. Just like to be safe and informed about my purchase.

WhoDey
09-16-2010, 21:11
In regards to your concerns about using a filter around freezing temperatures, the ceramic filters are the ones you need to be the most careful with. When ceramic freezes it becomes very brittle and it would not take much to shatter. I personally use the Katadyn Hiker pro and I love it

Mags
09-16-2010, 21:27
I would question this analysis. Using the spec from a major outdoor retailer,

Real world use in Utah from experienced hikers vs. what you quoted from a website are two very different things.:sun

BTW: I mentioned nothing about weight. Probably a wash either way....

hontassquirt
09-16-2010, 22:15
i use the potable aqua only as a backup, katadyn pocket as my filter, katadyn mybottle for my daughter's water filter, and katadyn base camp.....well, for when we have a base camp. it was a hard pill to swallow spending $200 for the "pocket", but to me, it was so worth it.

nitegaunt
09-16-2010, 23:41
Yeah, I just saw the "My Bottle" thing today at the outfitter place. That seems like a totally different thing. I don't know. I've been hearing a lot of good things about the hiker pro but I guess right now I'm leaning toward the Vario. I think I'll just make the plunge (no pun intended) and see how it works out. I like the fact that it has the ceramic and charcoal filters. And that it's pretty compact even if it is a little heavy. Plus, it seems to be very easy to take apart and service in the field. Thanks again for everyone's opinions. This is definitely a thread that I'd be happy to see if I were another hiker with the same questions in the future.

Bear Cables
09-17-2010, 00:19
I saw so many thru's cuss their SteriPens in 2009 it really turned me off. Most of the problems were due to the units shutting down due to red light errors.

Their customer service wasn't much better and usually involved accusing the user of installing the wrong batteries.

They even told one thru to spit in his water (among other things) before using the device to increase the electrolyte content so the probe would work properly. Look under number 5 in the Troubleshooting FAQ section HERE (http://www.steripen.com/support-faq)on their web page.

I'll stick with AquaMira and save my money and the hassle.

Not at all my experience with SteriPen. Mine stopped working toward the end of my section hike this past summer. I had no problems with it up til this other than needing batteries replaced in two years. Anyway I registered it with SteriPen, sent it back as it was lifetime gurantee and they fixed it and sent it back at no cost other than 4.00 shipping.

Love the Steripen and carry Aquamire tablets as a back up.

Marta
09-17-2010, 06:49
Steripen--two years; hundreds of uses; no problems.

If you think you might like one, buy it from REI, and return it if it doesn't work out for you. Some happy person will buy it at the garage sale.

Tinker
09-17-2010, 07:43
Pump, boil, chemicals.
Pumps don't use extra fuel like boiling,
and don't contain potentially harmful chemicals.
Think about it. If the stuff you put in your water KILLS very HARDY bugs, it can't be very good for you, either. Sure, the manufacturers tell you that after a certain period of time the chemical is neutralized, but you're still drinking dead bug carcases, sewage, and, in more developed sections of the AT, industrial and agricultural chemicals.
SOME filters deal with some chemicals, but adding chemicals to water which might already contain chemicals doesn't appeal to me.
I use a First Need filter, despite its weight and cost. www.generalecology.com (http://www.generalecology.com)

10-K
09-17-2010, 07:47
As you can see, every method has its advocates.

The important thing to note is that regardless of what method we use we're all still alive and here to talk about it.

Lilred
09-17-2010, 08:03
I hate pumping water more than anything, but still hate the floaties. I got a gravity filter and love it.

Spokes
09-17-2010, 08:11
Not at all my experience with SteriPen. Mine stopped working toward the end of my section hike this past summer. I had no problems with it up til this other than needing batteries replaced in two years. Anyway I registered it with SteriPen, sent it back as it was lifetime gurantee and they fixed it and sent it back at no cost other than 4.00 shipping.

Love the Steripen and carry Aquamire tablets as a back up.

So you loved that it stopped working or loved they were so nice sending you back a repaired model?

I'm confused.

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 08:41

If you think you might like one, buy it from REI, and return it if it doesn't work out for you. Some happy person will buy it at the garage sale.
Ditto. I've used it hiking, car camping, and while vacationing in the Caribbean. Make sure to keep the contacts clean, and keep the contacts submerged when in use. I've never run across water that doesn't have enough dissolved minerals/salts to not allow the circuitry to detect the water, but if this should happen a pinch of salt (or spit - even if kinda gross to some) should raise the water's conductivity enough to make it work.

Philip
09-17-2010, 09:28
Steripens - I'm glad to see some positive posts about this technology. I definitely like the idea of it (weight and convenience).

Pumps - Cross-contamination was mentioned. Sure, though I do carefully keep my intake hose in a separate bag away from my filter, clean the whole setup with boiled water or tap water (and a little biodegradeable soap sometimes) every chance I get, and even wash my dirty paws before I handle my food and water (most of the time), I really rely on the pump more as a way to improve the taste and purity of my water. I look to the sodium hypochlorite (Clorox) to do the job of making water safe to drink.

Chemicals - Though I've never tried Aquamira or iodine, I don't think it would be for me because of my interest in having good-tasting water. You guys all comment about the taste of the chemicals, which is a big nogo for me.

Really the pump is a luxury item IMO and I could probably live without it on the AT since most water sources are clear. Down here in TX, we don't have crystal-clear streams to pull water from, and thus my reliance on the pump to pull out sediment and chemicals (charcoal filter) before I drink.

This site has been a wealth of information and I'm enjoying reading everyone's experiences. You guys are great.

nitegaunt
09-17-2010, 10:06
Philllip, if you haven't tried Aquamira I'd suggest you give it a shot. It doesn't flavor the water as far as I can tell. I started using it because of that problem with iodine. It's very easy to use and pretty quick but it looks like the Steripen might be even faster. I really like the idea of a Steripen without batteries like the one they are coming out with. It's called the Sidewinder and it's listed on their site as "coming soon". Looks a little bulky and weighs 16oz. but really cool to be able to just crank it for 90 seconds and you hae a liter of water. I guess there's no way to get around the weight because they have to use magnets or something to make it work. Still, I'll have to let it come out an hear some reviews before considering that in the future. I think I'm just going to go to the outfitters today and flip a coin on the Steripen versus the Vario pump, haha!

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 10:25
If you go with the steripen and don't like "floaters" or will be getting water from murky sources, carry a few coffee filters, gauze, or nylon stocking or something for prefiltering, search the WB site for ideas. The steripen does not work as well in cloudy/dirty water according to the manufacturer as the UV light doesn't penetrate dirty water as well. I've rarely run across such water sources, but it can happen.

Chop
09-17-2010, 10:36
Just got the Steripen last week...so I have no thoughts on performance. Will take it out this weekend.

I've used Aquamira, and in general, like it. Taste doesn't get me down. The bottles are small and light...but its a chemical...not that I have huge concerns about this, but maybe I should...

Pump...was given one in the mid 90s. Used it for backpacking and some travel while in the Peace Corps in East Africa... Worked good, but heavy and bulky.. Checking out filters recently, they haven't slimmed up a ton. My opinion is that these are not break proof by any means. Mine broke while overseas...but Pur did mail replacements to me in Tanzania.

Boiling.. I boiled my water for two years solid while on the adventure/work mentioned above. Its slow. Consumes fuel...

All this leading to trying the Steripen. My only gripe about it is the size. It isn't huge, but bigger than the Aquamira bottles, and will require a little more careful packing. I got the Journey, which will work in a Gatorade bottle. Have corresponded with Steripen, Inc via email. They were quick to reply.

I wanted something that I could use and drink from immediately.

Chop
09-17-2010, 10:40
To add... having had multiple illnesses stemming from water, and my wife having landed in emergency rooms because of bad water (typhoid)...I will gladly carry something to treat the water. Granted these 'issues' were abroad, but water is easy and cheap to treat.

Skidsteer
09-17-2010, 11:22

Same here.

Philip
09-17-2010, 12:43
If the water is generally clear over there on the AT, what are the chances I could be happy with carrying the aquamira with some sort of super-light gravity filter for the floaties (maybe something as simple as just a lightweight mesh bag to screen water I pour into a Nalgene?

I really like the Vario and feel like I need it around here where I live cause the water is cloudy, but carrying it on the AT is beginning to sound like I think I need to drive a Hummer H1 to get down a bicycle trail. The think weighs a pound wet. For that matter, I'm having second thoughts about my treasured Nalgene bottles too. A liter Gatorade bottle weights what, about two thirds less?

Thoughts? I'm a small guy (66", 140 lbs) and really need to find more ways to cut my carried weight. I'd even like to trade down to a smaller pack before I leave if I'm able. For that matter I'm even having second thoughts about carrying my Simmerlite and the gigantic fuel bottle. I love it, but do I really really need it? Hmmm...my knees will thank you for your encouragement. (-:

Skidsteer
09-17-2010, 14:03
If the water is generally clear over there on the AT, what are the chances I could be happy with carrying the aquamira with some sort of super-light gravity filter for the floaties (maybe something as simple as just a lightweight mesh bag to screen water I pour into a Nalgene?

Sure that would work. Most of the time on the AT I don't bother treating at all.

Mags
09-17-2010, 14:26
You could have water mailed to you at post offices.

But that would be silly.....

Philip
09-17-2010, 14:47
LOL! May as well have someone ship diesel for my H1 too...

Lugnut
09-17-2010, 16:24

But if you get there after noon you could die of thirst before they open back up Monday morning. :-?

superman
09-17-2010, 19:21

I really like the Vario and feel like I need it around here where I live cause the water is cloudy, but carrying it on the AT is beginning to sound like I think I need to drive a Hummer H1 to get down a bicycle trail. The think weighs a pound wet. For that matter, I'm having second thoughts about my treasured Nalgene bottles too. A liter Gatorade bottle weights what, about two thirds less?

Thoughts? I'm a small guy (66", 140 lbs) and really need to find more ways to cut my carried weight. I'd even like to trade down to a smaller pack before I leave if I'm able. For that matter I'm even having second thoughts about carrying my Simmerlite and the gigantic fuel bottle. I love it, but do I really really need it? Hmmm...my knees will thank you for your encouragement. (-:

All you need to carry is a gun. Use the gun to force some big strong dumb sob to carry your pack. Next problem?:-?

4Bears
09-17-2010, 21:03
I've had a Steripen fo 2 years with no problems, had a "Hiker" filter before that, found it to much work, after a day of hiking. I do carry drops for back up. If I go back to a filter it will be a gravity filter like a Sawyer. As far as floaties use a bandana or coffee filter or two rubber banded over the top of the bottle and you will be fine, definitly use the lithium batteries. IMHO, HYOH.

kanga
09-17-2010, 21:41

That is not silly at all. That way you could immediately rehydrate your cuttlefish as soon as you open the box. Duh..

Philip
09-17-2010, 22:26
"...carry a gun..."

LOL! So actually I could hike the trail and carry only about five pounds...the weight of a good 12 ga shotgun. (-:

On a slightly more humane tangent, how about I just hire a big strapping sherpa to carry my bag and make camp for me? Wonder what that would cost...hmmmm :rolleyes:

No really I'm all about being self-sufficient. That's sorta the draw of long distance hiking for me...I do it simply because I can and for the self satisfaction of knowing that most people wouldn't even try. That and I just like being outdoors on my own.

Don H
09-18-2010, 09:47
I printed the information below to the size of a credit card and laminated it. I carry it every time I take my Steripen Classic.
But next year when I attempt a thru I'm carrying Aquamira. Lighter and no worries about batteries and breakage.

Operating Signals
Green flashing light (after button push) – Unit is armed and ready.
Green slow flashing: 1 sec. on, 1 sec. off (after dose) - 1 L dose completed.
Green steady (after dose) – .5 L dose completed.
Green blinks for 15 sec. followed by a quick red flash- Time expired, try again.
Green flash followed by red flash – Dry sensor pins, press on/off for 1 sec to reset.
Red steady – Dose incomplete, repeat treatment.

Battery Warnings
Red steady flash – Replace batteries.
Green slow blinking with red flashes – 1L dose complete, low battery.
Green steady with red flashes – 0.5 L dose complete, low battery.
LED will not come on – Replace batteries, clean contacts.

Rain Man
09-18-2010, 11:14
COOL!!! Thanks for sharing! Rain Man

I printed the information below to the size of a credit card and laminated it. I carry it every time I take my Steripen Classic.
But next year when I attempt a thru I'm carrying Aquamira. Lighter and no worries about batteries and breakage.

Operating Signals
Green flashing light (after button push) – Unit is armed and ready.
Green slow flashing: 1 sec. on, 1 sec. off (after dose) - 1 L dose completed.
Green steady (after dose) – .5 L dose completed.
Green blinks for 15 sec. followed by a quick red flash- Time expired, try again.
Green flash followed by red flash – Dry sensor pins, press on/off for 1 sec to reset.
Red steady – Dose incomplete, repeat treatment.

Battery Warnings
Red steady flash – Replace batteries.
Green slow blinking with red flashes – 1L dose complete, low battery.
Green steady with red flashes – 0.5 L dose complete, low battery.
LED will not come on – Replace batteries, clean contacts.

Bear Cables
09-20-2010, 17:46
So you loved that it stopped working or loved they were so nice sending you back a repaired model?

I'm confused.

Love the steripen and as nothing is perfect, I am glad it was repair/replaced so quickly with no questions.

Bags4266
09-20-2010, 18:50
I use Aqua Mira Drops. But due to the low and lack of water I picked up this 3 oz ceramic filter for $25.00 http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=mbw I am leaving for a 2 week section hike in a week and am going to try this one out. I will give a review when I get back. I tried it at home and it is slow pumping, but I knew it would be due to its size. I am also bringing my AQ. Mira if I find the water flowing.

WILLIAM HAYES
09-20-2010, 19:36
I have used the steripen for several years -for ease of use quickness weight etc you cannot beat it-I have tried every filter MSR- Katadin-first need-sawyer gravity etc and the steripen beats them hands down-just finished the 100 mile wilderness in maine a few weeks ago and treated water for me and my hiking partner for approx 8 days on 1 set of batteries-I carry backup AQ but have never had an issue with reliability In gunky water sources just use your bandana as a prefilter to sift out solids -it works fine-I also use a ziplock bag to capture water when the water level is too low to use my water bottle-make sure you use a water bottle wide enough at the mouth to allow you to use the steripen-I use a wide mouth BPA Free nalgene bottle and a 32 OZ BPA free soda type bottle my wife got at the health food store-lightweight with a twist lock top and treat all my water in the nalgene bottle- give the steripen a try I dont think you will be dissapointed -you can buy the CR123 batteries cheap in bulk on line

Hillbilly

Morning Glory
09-20-2010, 20:30
I have a Steripen and recently I just bought the Katahdin Vairo. The problem I found with the Steripen is that it was a real pain down here in the south in the summer and fall when quite often I'm dealing with drought conditions and there isn't good flowing water. I found myself borrowing a filter from someone way to often because there just wasn't a good enough water source. I've tried to filter floaties out using my bandana, but that just seemed to take forever...way longer than using a filter. The Vairo is large and bulky and a little on the heavy...but man, is it a breeze. Several times I've been able to pump 2 liters/minute. Now, when I know the water will be flowing good and plentiful, the Steripen will be my weapon of choice.

bmwsmity
09-20-2010, 21:02
So I'm too lazy to read all the posts, so please excuse anything I may repeat other's have said, but I'm a Steripen user, and here's my thoughts:

Pumps can freeze and bust in cold weather, and you might not even know until you're sick... I read a thru-hiker's trail journal that had this happen...he got Giardia and had to get off the trail...

Pumps do NOT get rid of viruses... I learned this the hard way after pumping water and then proceeding to puke & crap my brains out for a week straight.

Pumps are heavy.

Steripens do 200 treatments on one set of Lithium batteries, and an extra set of Lithiums are very light

Steripens are a pain when you don't have a piped spring and have to scoop water out of a puddle... but for water with debris, I simply carry a couple cone shape coffee filters and pour from one bottle to another, then treat.

Steripens are fast... 90 seconds... and light, 6 oz.

Because the Steripen is so small, I simply use its carrying case strap and keep it on the outside of my pack... whereas with a pump you usually have to keep it in your pack... so you save time not having to dig through your pack.

Steripens negate EVERYTHING...even viruses

Except for extremely dry conditions, and places where you may have chemical contamination (think Billy-Bob in KY pouring his used motor oil in the creek), the Steripen is the hands-down winner IMO...

Hope this helps