PDA

View Full Version : hitching a ride in GSMNP

10-K
09-16-2010, 09:28
I apologize for starting 10 threads about 1 trip - I'm in a bit of time crunch here...

Now we're thinking maybe it'd be better to both park in Gatlinburg and when we got to Oconoluftee we could hitch back to Gatlinburg.

Any idea how hard it'd be to hitch a ride from Oconoluftee to Sugarland?

Seems like it would be mostly tourists and it might be difficult.

Failing that, I guess we could walk up to Cherokee and catch a ride on one of the transit services.

sidebackside
09-16-2010, 10:06
I've never had a big problem catching a ride up there. You're right though, most of them are tourist so they normally/usually won't stop. That being said, there are always other hikers driving up through there so finding a ride shouldn't be hard for you. Good luck!!

liteweight
09-16-2010, 11:14
It shouldn't be a problem at all. Even if someone drops you off at Newfound Gap you should then be able to hitch a ride from there down to Sugarlands vistor center. Have a good trip!

generoll
09-16-2010, 11:37
FWIW, a friend of mine and I left Pecks corner at about the same time. I headed directly to NFG and he hiked on down to Smokemont. By the time I got to NFG, he'd gotten to Smokemont, hitched to NFG, left a note on my windshield and was long gone.