PDA

View Full Version : Benton MacKaye Trail

Hammock Hanger
11-17-2002, 20:40
anyone have any info on this trail or Joyce Kilmer Trail??? HH

Hikerhead
11-17-2002, 21:07
HH,

The book "Hiking Georgia" has a little info on it and a small, not very detailed map.

For more info (brochure and 8 detailed maps) they refer you to

The Benton MacKaye Trail Assoc
PO Box 53271
Atlanta, Ga 30355-1271 (sorry no phone number is mentioned)

and

US Forest Service
Chattahoochee Nat'l Forest
Forest Supervisor
508 Oak Street
Gainesville, Ga 30501 (770-536-0541

I hope that helps a little.

Hammock Hanger
11-17-2002, 21:40
Thanks for the info. :) HH

veteran
11-18-2002, 01:39
You can find information & map of the
Benton MacKaye Trail at:
http://www.georgiatrails.com/trails/bentonmackaye01.html
Click on the overview and topo map.
You can also find a complete set of topo maps at:
www.georgiahikes.com/maps/

Youngblood
11-18-2002, 09:04
The best info is on the BMT web site:

http://www.bmta.org/

The BMT used to sell individual maps/guides for the 11 sections (I don't know if they still do) and the REI stores in Atlanta used to carry them. The info on the web site does not contain all 11 sections. I have copies of the old individual map/guides and an electronic copy of the maps on TOPO! that I found on the web. I backpacked this trail on weekends this year, and the only places that it was difficult to follow was in the Big Frog Wilderness (section 11) and section 7. They don't blaze trails in the wilderness area and someone had vandalized/destroyed most of the trail markers at the trail junctions, and there are several trail junctions in the Big Frog Wilderness. Section 7 is mostly single lane country access roads and a walk through a pretty neat 'subdivision' of mountain homes. I liked the walk through the subdivision, some of them were underconstruction and had great views...I could just imagine what it would be like to have a neat country home with senic views and the BMT going through my back yard!

Youngblood

babbage
01-14-2008, 20:51
Take a closer look at the vandalism. Its the bears that rip up the signs. They have been doing it for years. If you look a the damage it is apparent that teeth and claws did it. I think Homan ever mentioned that in his guidebook for Big Frog.

Skidsteer
01-14-2008, 21:24
Take a closer look at the vandalism. Its the bears that rip up the signs. They have been doing it for years. If you look a the damage it is apparent that teeth and claws did it. I think Homan ever mentioned that in his guidebook for Big Frog.

Exactly!

If you carry a good pocket knife, you can even pry out lead dental fillings in the signs from the bears' teeth.

generoll
01-14-2008, 21:49
this proves that threads never die. Even six year old ones.

Hammock Hanger
01-15-2008, 19:30
this proves that threads never die. Even six year old ones.

Yeap, that hike is now part of my past. Had I not pulled a "Hokey Pokey" the whole trail would be done. However, I still have about 30 miles to do around the lake area.

Hikerhead
01-15-2008, 19:44
[ Had I not pulled a "Hokey Pokey" the whole trail would be done. ]

Say what! :eek:

Tennessee Viking
01-15-2008, 22:44
Its a bit more remote trail compared to the AT. And its not blazed as much as the AT through their wilderness sections. But look for white diamonds.

Starts at Davenport Gap then travels down to Big Creek and through the NC Smokies to Fontana. Then travels down into the Joyce Kilmer/Citco Creek Wildernesses & the Frog Wildernesses to Springer.

Sgt Rock is probably one of the resident experts since he is a maintainer for the BMT. But he will be tied up this year for his AT thru.

The BMTA just put out a Data Book, and there is a guide for the section south of the Oconee River.

Joyce Kilmer and Citco is a good area if you want to camp.

jlb2012
01-16-2008, 09:02
[ Had I not pulled a "Hokey Pokey" the whole trail would be done. ]

Say what! :eek:

Sounds right to me - see the TJ : http://trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=213582 - that is as good a definition of a "Hokey Pokey" as I have ever heard except for the original on Slickrock Tr.

SGT Rock
01-16-2008, 09:12
Its a bit more remote trail compared to the AT. And its not blazed as much as the AT through their wilderness sections. But look for white diamonds.
That is true. If you are going to hike the BMT I highly suggest you get a map and a databook or something that tells you where the BMT goes - one that outlines which trail designation the local trail is for the BMT is a great idea. What I have found is there are some sections of the BMT that are as well marked as the AT. Then there are some sections where you can go for miles and never see a blaze or a sign that says the "BMT goes that way". The problem with this I've found is you get used to not seeing a blaze for miles at a certain point and then what happens is you take a wrong turn, walk for a while thinking nothing is out of the ordinary, and then realize you have just walked the wrong trail and have to go back. The worst this has happened to me is about 1/2 mile in the wrong direction - I had to turn around and go back up-hill that half mile to get back on the BMT. If the trail had been longer I could have really screwed up.

Starts at Davenport Gap then travels down to Big Creek and through the NC Smokies to Fontana. Then travels down into the Joyce Kilmer/Citco Creek Wildernesses & the Frog Wildernesses to Springer.

Sgt Rock is probably one of the resident experts since he is a maintainer for the BMT. But he will be tied up this year for his AT thru.

The BMTA just put out a Data Book, and there is a guide for the section south of the Oconee River.

Joyce Kilmer and Citco is a good area if you want to camp.
I'm still around at times.

envirodiver
01-16-2008, 12:15
Excellent observation Sgt. Rock. I made the "wrong trail/missed junction" mistake heading north out of Bryson's Gap. I was dumber than you though, I went about 2 miles DOWN the mountain before I realized the error of my ways. That 2 miles of uphill hurt extra cause it was uneccessary.

Map, compass and databook are definetly a must.

Ewker
01-16-2008, 12:26
Sgt. Rock, how is your data book on the BMT coming along?

SGT Rock
01-16-2008, 13:22
Excellent observation Sgt. Rock. I made the "wrong trail/missed junction" mistake heading north out of Bryson's Gap. I was dumber than you though, I went about 2 miles DOWN the mountain before I realized the error of my ways. That 2 miles of uphill hurt extra cause it was uneccessary.

Map, compass and databook are definetly a must.I just got lucky. The trail I was on looked sort of right until I got to the road and realized what I had done. If the trail would have been longer, who knows?

Sgt. Rock, how is your data book on the BMT coming along?
I did as much as I could given my experience with the trail at that time. I passed it off to my partner in the project, Bill Ristom, who was going to add some notes from his hikes on the BMT. His wife works at the printers that is going to do it, so I told them they had my agreement with whatever formats they worked out on it. Bill and Diana are going to Hawaii this month (smart move!) so I don't know what the status is. The hope was to have a product this month. I've been pretty impressed with how accurate the thing is considering I did all my initial research through the Internet and looking at maps. There are some small things I am working on changing based on my hike so far. I figure Bill and Diana will probably already have most of what I am observing. So, that said, next years edition will probably have my notes and whatever they are adding to make the descriptions stronger.

On top of the descriptions I am thinking about writing a couple of pieces. The first would be a re-supply article similar to what Baltimore Jack did for the AT. A "How to thru-hike" the BMT guide so to speak - with that I am also thinking about making a comparison article about how the BMT compares to the same stretch of the AT for those contemplating what I'm doing. The other thing is a inclusion of some observations of the trail in the preface of the guide. The more I hike the BMT the more I belive folks that complain about the AT needing more blazes would be totally screwed on the BMT.

EMAN
01-17-2008, 10:05
On our trip on the BMT from 20 mile to Smokemont last Oct., I had to "guess" which way the trail went several times. And yes, I had a map. Went the wrong way at least twice before eyeballing the trail and figuring....geez...this can't be right....looks like someone's picnic trail down to the lake.
Another surprise we had was that CS #72 is NOT avaialble from the trail. It is boat accessible only.
Still, seemed like it all made the whole thing more of an adventure.

SGT Rock
01-17-2008, 10:19
I wonder if it is walking access now with the drought?

Cuffs
01-17-2008, 10:29
There was no trail off the BMT to access #72....

tomsawyer222
07-08-2009, 15:07
any got any new info on a new BMT guide book

Tennessee Viking
07-08-2009, 15:53
I think the only book for the BMT only goes north to the Ocoee/Hiawasee area.

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 16:20
The BMTA has a new 2nd Edition databook available. It is available at a number of outfitters including REI in Atlanta, Rock creek in Chattanooga, and elsewhere. It makes a fine companion to the Nat Geo maps.

Two Speed
07-16-2009, 16:33
Has the BMTA included Mr. Parkay's maps by any chance?

MOWGLI
07-16-2009, 16:55
Unfortunately, they have not.

Dogwood
07-16-2009, 17:19
Yes. There is nothing so lovely as a tree.

Tipi Walter
07-16-2009, 20:33
I think the only book for the BMT only goes north to the Ocoee/Hiawasee area.

I find it hard to believe that Homan would publish a book on hiking the BMT and not cover the whole trail. What was he thinking? So, much of it is missing. Why not wait until the trail was finished(July 2005), and then write the book?

Gladiator
07-16-2009, 22:09
I find it hard to believe that Homan would publish a book on hiking the BMT and not cover the whole trail. What was he thinking? So, much of it is missing. Why not wait until the trail was finished(July 2005), and then write the book?

M-O-N-E-Y?

Probably wasn't Homan's original or primary motivation, but it stands to reason that you could generate a lot more revenue by publishing a 2nd edition with the latest info on the newest sections of the trail. People will buy anything, and there's nothing wrong with trying to earn an honest buck.

Tennessee Viking
07-16-2009, 22:19
It is a pretty good book. Goes in a bit of detail for each section of its flora, fauna, and history. But just to go halfway, not fair. Go all the way to Newfound man.

Bearpaw
07-17-2009, 10:15
It is a pretty good book. Goes in a bit of detail for each section of its flora, fauna, and history. But just to go halfway, not fair. Go all the way to Newfound man.

Actually, Homan's book only goes 1/3 of the way. And it would have to go all the way to Davenport or you're short-changing the final 34 miles.

But seriously, the original book served a good purpose. It was the only source out there for maps of the "original" BMT from Springer to the Ocoee. I hiked it before all the rest was complete. I was glad to have those maps.

Now, with the data book and the Nat'l Geo Maps (Cherokee NF and Great Smoky Mountains NP), there's no need for a guidebook. You can fill in the details with Mr. Parkay's profile maps if you're into that and there are a handful of other bits of useful information on the net, but really the basics are what the BMT is about. No shelters, few fellow hikers, fewer blazes, and no need for guidebooks.

Tipi Walter
07-17-2009, 10:30
Actually, Homan's book only goes 1/3 of the way. And it would have to go all the way to Davenport or you're short-changing the final 34 miles.

But seriously, the original book served a good purpose. It was the only source out there for maps of the "original" BMT from Springer to the Ocoee. I hiked it before all the rest was complete. I was glad to have those maps.

Now, with the data book and the Nat'l Geo Maps (Cherokee NF and Great Smoky Mountains NP), there's no need for a guidebook. You can fill in the details with Mr. Parkay's profile maps if you're into that and there are a handful of other bits of useful information on the net, but really the basics are what the BMT is about. No shelters, few fellow hikers, fewer blazes, and no need for guidebooks.

Actually, good first section maps were available from the BMTA long before Homan's book came out and when I joined the BMTA I got a series of 11 maps from Springer Mt/Three Forks all the way to Double Spring Gap and the Ocoee River. Maps were also available on the BMTA website for free download.

MOWGLI
07-17-2009, 10:32
Bearpaw is 100% correct. The Nat Geo maps and the databaook are all a hiker really needs. Mr Parkay's profile maps are gravy.

You really do have to know how to read a map on the BMT. It is not a superhighway with signage at most every trail junction like the AT.

Ewker
07-17-2009, 11:35
I have the first BMT data book they put out last yr or the yr before. How much difference is there between it and the 2nd edition book?

MOWGLI
07-17-2009, 11:56
I have the first BMT data book they put out last yr or the yr before. How much difference is there between it and the 2nd edition book?

Not too much. There was a major relo in GA around Licklog and Wallalah Mountains. There were also a few minor corrections. The first edition would be fine to use for a hike on the BMT.

Ewker
07-17-2009, 14:55
thanks for the info

take-a-knee
07-17-2009, 16:41
Bearpaw is 100% correct. The Nat Geo maps and the databaook are all a hiker really needs. Mr Parkay's profile maps are gravy.

You really do have to know how to read a map on the BMT. It is not a superhighway with signage at most every trail junction like the AT.

I didn't know the Nat. GEO maps covered the GA section?

Bearpaw
07-17-2009, 17:37

The Springer and Cohutta map (http://www.natgeomaps.com/ti_777) covers most, if not all, of that portion. Though the point I was making is that there is no need to expand on the guidebook for the TN and Smokies portions of the BMT.

MOWGLI
07-17-2009, 17:39

They just came out with updated maps. The trail is neon yellow, like it is on the Tennessee maps.

Bati
07-17-2009, 17:53
Be a bit wary of the free maps on the BMT website. They don't tend to show forest service roads. This means that if you miss a turn off of a forest service road, you'll have a much harder time determining from a compass reading if you're still on the trail or not. In the end, it would probably add no more than a mile at each missed junction for a typical hiker, but that can add up fast. It's extremely easy to miss a turn off a road when the trail is not consistently blazed.

The maps also don't show many major roads. In the event of an emergency, you might miss an easy hitch out for help simply because the road wasn't marked on the map. And if you need to hitch or blue blaze to avoid the fords, (in wet weather, there is at least 1 very dangerous one outside the Smokies) you'll have a tough time figuring out where to go, much less which roads have low water bridges. In the smokies, a careful study of the $1 park trail map provides enough information to blue blaze around the dangerous wet weather fords without hitting other fords, but the lack of topo markings could encourage someone to green blaze. I don't know if this is possible, but a quick study of my old AT map encouraged me to risk the fords instead green blazing. If I had to hike it again in the same conditions, I would take a 10 mile unmarked blue-blaze.

MOWGLI
07-17-2009, 18:16
Sorry you had problems Bati. As the Publicity Director for the BMTA, I would always encourage folks to hike with the Nat Geo maps for the Chattahoochee, the Cherokee, and the Smokies. The databook is a nice companion to those maps.

Diamond Diggs
10-09-2009, 10:07
how important is having a compass on the BMT

Egads
10-09-2009, 17:27
I've encountered a few confusing areas in the Cohuttas and IIRC along Section 15; but I never felt the need to pull out a compass

Mags
10-09-2009, 17:29
Maps yes, compass..probably not, but at one ounce (or less for a thumbnail sized one (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/CAMOmnifindQueryCmd?langId=-1&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&searchCategory=&ip_state=&ip_constrain=&ip_navtype=search&pageSize=24&currentPage=&ip_sortBy=&searchKeywords=key+chain+compass)), there is no real reason to not bring one. :)

(I used one just to pull out quick at two trail junctions in the wilderness areas. Did I need it? No. Did I find it useful. Yes)

Diamond Diggs
10-09-2009, 18:38
I am getting ready to head out for section hike tomorrow.... about six days as far as I can get from the ocoee hyw 30 area.... i guess i should pick up a compass just in case.... not really sure I know EXACTLY what to do with it though (other than knowing what direction I am heading in that particular moment)

by the way.... if anyone is free I sure would not mind the company... for some reason I am getting a little freaked out about bears! :)

Mags
10-09-2009, 20:28
[quote=the vagabond;904970i guess i should pick up a compass just in case.... not really sure I know EXACTLY what to do with it though[/quote]

IF you are not sure how to use a compass, probably not much use. :sun
http://www.learn-orienteering.org/old/

Too late now, but read this and practice! :)

Diamond Diggs
10-09-2009, 23:28
well... ive got the basics down..... but not a whole lot more

I think I can do a little orienteering, as far as positioning compass to map to get general direction

Cuffs
10-10-2009, 22:37
6 days from Ocoee to Hwy 30? NO! I did that over Labor Day weekend and in 2.5 days... Trail is good except in one area where it merges with old forest roads. Maybe they are still there, I left stick arrows on the ground indicating the trail...

Diamond Diggs
10-19-2009, 23:23
no, 6 days from hyw 30 OR ocoee to the GSMNP boundary.... hehehe

no worries though, had to change my plans, I guess I will hit it up come december!
speaking of which... anyone in the area up for a section hike the first couple weeks in DEC. on the BMT?

bsa-troop6
11-02-2009, 15:59
We are about to publish a trail guide for the TN/NC section of the Benton MacKaye Trail. It will have color maps and profiles of each 5-10 mile segment with a description of the route, history, etc and location of campsites and water sources. It will be 48 pages long printed on waterproof paper, about 4x11 inches in size, perfect for sticking in your pocket or on a side pocket of your pack. It will be available on www.bmta.org (http://www.bmta.org) as well as at REI stores and lots of other places. But it is not yet available. Sorry. If you need something right now, the best is the Trails Illustrated map for the Tellico/Ocoee Section of the Cherokee National Forest (#781). Also covered on the two new maps for N GA (777, 778) and the Smokies map (229). The BMT is shown in yellow on these maps. Also, there are segment maps available for downloading on the www.bmta.org (http://www.bmta.org) website, but these have not been updated in several years. Hope this helps. The trail is fairly clear of blowdowns and brushed out almost all of the TN/NC section, except for the section just north of US64 to Kimsey Highway, which we plan to go fix up on Nov 10-11. The intersection of the Dry Pond Lead Trail with the BMT near to Kimsey Highway is not very obvious at present. This will be fixed by the middle of next week. Remember though that in Tennessee we are not permitted to paint blazes in the wilderness, so you really do need that map and compass or GPS in places.