PDA

View Full Version : arc'teryx pack.....Anybody??

RITBlake
11-29-2004, 21:08
I was at my local outfitter today. He strongly recomended this pack. It is fully waterproof and fit pretty damn well. Anybody have experience with this pack/company? I am nervous because it also happens to be the most expensive pack he sells.

http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?group=Packs&prod=1886

A-Train
11-29-2004, 21:44
The guy might know what he's talking about, but generally outfitters try to sell you the biggest, heaviest, most expensive packs for thru-hikes, figuring you need some huge expedition pack. It's simply not true. The pack is the last thing you should buy. Once you get all ur gear, go load it up in packs. If your pack weight is over 45 lbs you might wanna consider a pack like this or a gregory forester/reality. Otherwise, its gonna be overkill and you'll spend a bunch of money, only to replace it in Hot Springs or Damascus. This pack is almost 7 lbs, thats VERY heavy!

I've never owned, but I've heard great things about the quality of Arc'eterx packs. Gregorys are also EXTREMELY well made, but I'd never want to start with such a big pack unless I was doing a winter backpacking trip or was going somewhere where there was limited supply. On the AT, you can resupply every 2-5 days, easily.

If you like the pack, well don't let me discourage you, but no you certainly don't NEED this pack. I've just seen so many hikers buy a second pack along the way, I tend to try to get people to think lighter and less volume from the start in the interest of saving money, unless that's not an issue..

tlbj6142
11-29-2004, 22:04
Arc'teryx makes a great pack worth every penny. However, most of their packs are very, very, very much overkill for all but a SOBO AT thru starting in Janurary.:D

I owned a Bora 80, it was a excellect pack. Fit like a glove. But at 7# there were plenty of other packs that are a better fit for the AT. Both lighter, cheaper and smaller (80L [5000ci] is way too big) packs are available.

I love supporting the local guy, what other brands does he carry? Osprey? Granite Gear? The later two are common outfitter brands that have good AT-worthly models.

bearbait2k4
11-29-2004, 23:07
If I were to get a bora, I'd go for the 50-60. http://www.arcteryx.com/product.aspx?group=Packs&prod=1882

The 80 is just too much.

I loved my arcteryx khamsin, but unfortunately, they no longer make that line. It was perfect, in my opinion, for a thru-hike (not too heavy, durable, comfortable). They make great packs that will last well beyond your thru-hike.

There are, however, certainly cheaper, smaller packs available. Ospreys are good. I heard of a couple of problems with the Granite Gears this year, however. They're extremely lightweight, but just don't seem to be as durable.

A few have suggested, on this board, to buy all your equipment, then take it to the outfitter to see which pack is the best fit for you. I agree completely. Make sure it fits everything you need, and make sure it is comfortable. In my opinion, it's the most important piece of equipment you can get for the trip.

verber
11-30-2004, 00:05
I will add my voice to what has already been posted. The Bora 80 is a great heavy-weight pack. But for an AT thru-hike starting in May it's seriously overkill. You can resupply every 3-5 days. You aren't carrying massive winter snow gear, etc. There are a number of light weight packs which will save you 4-6lbs and $200! which you can invest in lightening up other items. I think you will find that keeping your overall pack weight down will make a huge improvement in your enjoyment and ease of finishing your thru-hike. A few years ago I switched from carrying a 40-65lb pack to carrying a 17-34lb pack. This make a huge difference in my enjoying of trip and permited me to hike more of the day because I didn't need a rest. If you are going moderate volume and light weight I would suggest looking at the Granite Gear Vapor Trail or the Osprey Aether 60. If you need more volume the ULA P2 has gotten good reviews. Some other light weight packs to consider at http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/pack.html#light

Peaks
11-30-2004, 07:56
The Arc 'Teryx is probably a great pack, but it's certainly heavier than it needs to be. Comparable sized packs include the Gregrory Forester and Osprey Aether. And these other packs are probably more popular, and about 2 pounds lighter.

Like all gear, there is no consenuous of which pack is best. It all depends on personal preference.

As others have posted, buy all your other gear first, and then go to the outfitter and try on different packs with your gear, water, and food loaded into them. Many people find that they can get by with a smaller pack, and thus a lighter pack also.

Also, while others have posted that you can resupply every 2 to 5 days, there may be sections where you do not want to resupply as often. It's totally possible to carry up to 7 days food on ocassion, and your pack needs to be sized accordingly.

Kerosene
11-30-2004, 11:05
I switched from a big, heavy (almost 8-lb) Dana Designs Terraplane X to the 3500 cu in Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone. A 5-pound savings right off the bat is huge, and 3000-3500 cubes should be more than sufficient for the typical AT thru-hiker (most of my hikes are in the spring or fall for 1-2 weeks). Arc'teryx products are very well made from state-of-the-art materials, but I do think they're overkill for most people. There are a lot of options out there for well made, nice-fitting 2- or 3-pound packs that will help you get your fully loaded weight under 30 pounds. A big pack may carry the extra weight quite well, but at the end of 15 miles your feet will certainly feel the difference.

SalParadise
11-30-2004, 12:49
I have to respectfully disagree with A-Train. I work at an outfitters and have never once recommended an Arc'Teryx pack. I'd only recommend them for overly heavy loads, and certainly not an AT hike. But even for heavy loads I like the Ospreys and Gregory's much better. The Arc'Teryx's selling point is its durability and toughness, niether of which are big factors for me in selecting a pack.

Footslogger
11-30-2004, 13:29
Well ...when I did work for an outfitter, I worked by the hour and not on commission so the price of a pack was irelavant to me. The majority of hikers I put in Arc Teryx packs I did so because of comfort. My approach was to have a hiker bring all their stuff into the store and then we'd pack several different styles and manufacturers packs and then let them walk around for a half hour or so with the load. Torso length/lumbar curvature seemed to be a big factor in going with the Arc Teryx packs, as I recall.

My wife started off with a Bora 80 and carried it on her thru-hike in 2001. She bought the Bora 60LT to hike along with me for a month on my thru last year. Ironically, I hiked almost the entire AT last year with a Granite Gear Vapor Trail and when I got home last October she took a liking to it. Long story short ...she claimed the Vapor Trail as hers and I had to go out and buy a new pack.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Needles
11-30-2004, 13:57
I have to respectfully disagree with A-Train. I work at an outfitters and have never once recommended an Arc'Teryx pack. I'd only recommend them for overly heavy loads, and certainly not an AT hike. But even for heavy loads I like the Ospreys and Gregory's much better. The Arc'Teryx's selling point is its durability and toughness, niether of which are big factors for me in selecting a pack.

Arc'Teryx packs are durable and tough, but there is more to them than that. When I worked at an outfitters I made reccomendations on packs in much the same way I made reccomendations on boots, buy what fits best. Of course with a pack "fit" has to include how it fits your gear as well as how it fits your body, but I found that different packs fit different people... well.. differently. This was a few years ago, but it always seemed that Dana Designs packs fit larger people best while Arc'Teryx packs seemed to be more comfortable to thinner people. I have never tired on an Osprey pack that didn't feel awful to me but I know several people who find them more comfortable than anything else on the market. I find most Kelty packs painful, but have seen people say the same thing about Gregory packs which I find fairly comfortable, at the same time there are a few Kelty packs which fit me great. I never reccomended a pack based on brand alone, I always had my customers try on several and had them wear them for a while with a reasonable bit of weight in the packs, kind of like I did with boots, never had anyone come back and say anything bad about their packs after using this method.

All that being said I have an Arc'Teryx Bora 40 which I have done a lot of hiking with, including some trips of several weeks in length, I love that pack.

A-Train
11-30-2004, 13:59

I know there are many exceptions to the rule. But the fact is there still remains many outfitters that believe thru-hikers in planning need huge packs. I've witnessed it at EMS/REI stores quite a bit! And yeah, most private outfitters are more attuned to the needs of thru-hikers now, because of the increasing popularity and thru-hikers who go to work at shops. But 3-5 yrs ago this was not the case, and most folks didn't know a lick about what went into planning a thru-hike pre internet, AT boom and Bryson.

tlbj6142
11-30-2004, 14:18
But 3-5 yrs ago this was not the case, and most folks didn't know a lick about what went into planning a thru-hike pre internet, AT boom and Bryson.Still happens today. My brother said some "thru-hiker" on the approach trail this past spring had a monster pack plus a duffel bag full of stuff. The guy could only walk 100yds at a time.

He was going to stop and offer suggestions, but given that it was obvious he wasn't going to make it, my brother assumed he would "figure it out on his own rather quickly."

Some folks just haven't seen the Whiteblaze.net light.:D

tlbj6142
11-30-2004, 14:22
A word about pack comfort....

First a pack may feel great in the store, but after 5 miles it just might suck. Second a comfortable 5# pack is still 3# heavier than a comfortable 2# pack.

After a few days on the trail, you'll be able to "feel" that you just picked up an extra quart of water (2#). Imagine carrying an extra 1.5 quarts the full length of the trail?

RITBlake
11-30-2004, 14:36
What about this pack from Marmot. Seems to meet the requirements for a lighter, smaller pack

http://www.marmot.com/products/product.php?cat=packs&subcat=42&style_id=E2249

Ramble~On
11-30-2004, 15:31
RITBlake,

I have an Arcteryx Bora 95, Bora 65 and an RT35 (Roll Top) which they discontinued.
If you like the Bora 80 I'd say take a look at the Bora 65 and a bunch of other packs before getting one.
Yes, they are pricey and they tend to weigh alot.
The Bora 95 is a house and only gets used on winter hikes when I want to take "everything".
Arcteryx makes quality gear and I don't have any complaints.
I do think though that their larger capacity packs (Bora 80) and up are designed more for mountaineering than long distance backpacking.
Carrying the weight of a 7 pound pack that you will very rarely fill to capacity might not be the right choice for the AT.
But.....then again...you'll never have a hard time getting everything to fit inside your pack:)

tlbj6142
11-30-2004, 15:41
What about this pack from Marmot. Seems to meet the requirements for a lighter, smaller packLooks good. Does it have side water bottle holders? I can't see them in the pic.

tlbj6142
11-30-2004, 15:51
Check out backcountrygear's UL list...

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/LightPack.cfm

Look into any pack list that is 3# (or less) and no more than 3200-3500ci.

Also, www.ula-equipment.com (http://www.ula-equipment.com/) (all 3 models), www.sixmoondesigns.com (http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/), www.gossamergear.com (http://www.gossamergear.com/) (Mariposa and/or G4), I'm sure there are others.

My brother just completed a AT thru hike with a www.moonbowgear.com (http://www.moonbowgear.com/) Gearskin. Its a bit non-traditional, so it might not be the best choice for your first pack.

Peaks
11-30-2004, 20:07
A-Train made a general comment, but one with a lot of truth. The employees of many outfitters, and especially the mall outfitters such as EMS, are not really experts about what they sell. Consquently, their recommendation to buy a heavier pack than needed. And to go along with that, usually heavy all leather hiking boots. And while you are here shopping, how about some heavy cookwear, and so forth.

Obviously, employees who have spent considerable time backpacking know better. But not all employees have several thousand of miles of experience. I suspect that places like Mountain Crossings and MRO don't recommend heavy gear than needed.

But the rest of you guys are right. Backpacks are somewhat like footwear. They need to be fitted to the individual and his gear.