PDA

View Full Version : USPS Office hold times

weary
09-16-2010, 18:23
Copied/split from Mt. Crossings mail delivery times.
Keep in mind that the post office offers flat rate boxes, that if you use concentrated items, is sometimes cheaper than conventional parcel post. The flat rates includes everything you can stuff in, regardless of the weight.

In 1993, I used to have my wife send stuff two weeks before my expected arrival at the post office. Since I was always a week or so behind schedule, I typically picked up my boxes three or more weeks late. It was never a problem. The post office held things until I arrived, regardless of how late I was.

JUst be sure to mark your boxes "Hold for Appalachian Trail Hiker" in big letters. Most post offices know that hikers are optimists in their arrival predictions.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
09-16-2010, 19:13
Actually, it varies from Post Office to Post Office, and there are places who don't want to hold hiker mail (i.e. General Delivery mail) for more than a few weeks.

To be on the safe side, I would advise NOT to send yourself stuff way ahead of time, but instead either make sure you (or whoever is handling your mail) sends stuff early enough so it's there waiting when you arrive, but don't send it so early that they send it back before you get it.

Every year there are folks who send off all of their parcels and maildrops in February and March, assuming that the Post Offices will happily hold these things for months and months. This is NOT always the case, so I would NOT plan on having something held at a P.O. for more than a few weeks unless you know for sure that they'll hold stuff this long. Otherwise, you may be in for a big surprise when you go to collect your mail.

Likewise, if you're expecting to pick up mail somewhere and you're seriously delayed for whatever reason, it can't hurt to call the P.O. and confirm that the package is there and that you're still planning to come get it.

Marta
09-17-2010, 06:54
To add to what Jack said above:

If you skip a town where you have a mail drop, or if you quit hiking entirely and have mail drops waiting for you, please call or send a postcard to the PO to let them know the package needs to be returned to sender. Many small POs do hold packages for weeks and weeks and weeks, and the hikers never show up. Very inconsiderate on the hikers' parts.

Alligator
09-17-2010, 09:19
To put an actual number on it the PO will hold the general delivery for up to 30 days.

http://www.usps.com/receive/choicesfordelivery/receivemailinotherplaces.htm
General Delivery is available for customers if carrier service or a PO Box is not an option. Individual mailpieces will be held for up to 30 days and can be conveniently picked up by presenting identification. This is also a great option if you don’t have a permanent address. To find which office is designated for General Delivery at your location, please contact your local Postmaster.

and

http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/508.htm#wp1052038
6.0 General Delivery
6.1 Purpose
General delivery is intended primarily as a temporary means of delivery:
a.For transients and customers not permanently located.
b.For customers who want Post Office box service when boxes are unavailable.
6.2 Service Restrictions
General delivery is normally available at only one facility under the administration of a Post Office with multiple facilities. A postmaster may authorize more than one facility to offer general delivery service in accordance with customer and operational needs. A customer may use only one such location. A postmaster may refuse or restrict general delivery:
a.To a customer who is unable to present suitable identification.
b.To a customer whose mail volume or service level (e.g., mail accumulation) cannot reasonably be accommodated.
6.3 Delivery to Addressee
A general delivery customer can be required to present suitable identification before mail is given to the customer. Prior to mailing, customers should contact the destination Post Office to determine the authorized facility or facilities and their applicable ZIP Code(s).
6.4 Holding Mail
Each general delivery mailpiece is held for no more than 30 days, although a shorter time period may be requested by the sender.

I've only had one package that may have sat longer than 30 days. I had to leave the trail due to illness. It was still at the PO when I called to forward it but I don't remember exactly how long after it was mailed that I called.

10-K
09-17-2010, 09:24
That's their "official" statement but I'll bet little post offices like Glencliff and Caratunk where the postal workers live 20' from the little one room post office don't toss packages on day 31.

They could, they might - but I doubt it.

Alligator
09-17-2010, 09:36
That's their "official" statement but I'll bet little post offices like Glencliff and Caratunk where the postal workers live 20' from the little one room post office don't toss packages on day 31.

They could, they might - but I doubt it.I'm not saying they do or don't. I'm just noting the dividing line from what one should expect vs. what becomes a courtesy afterward. It helps for planning. If it needs to sit longer than 30 days, or even close to that, it might be a good idea to call ahead. Or perhaps if you are not on time and bumping up against 30 days give them a call as well.

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 09:36

Generally, they don't. My wife works for USPS, and most offices along the trail are very hiker friendly - at least here in New England. There are still five thru-hiker boxes sitting in Norwich, VT as of yesterday (a little late for thoughts of making Katahdin, IMO). I guaranty you they won't even start thinking about returning them until Nov. or later and they'll go out of their way to "do the right thing."

10-K
09-17-2010, 09:52
I'm not saying they do or don't. I'm just noting the dividing line from what one should expect vs. what becomes a courtesy afterward. It helps for planning. If it needs to sit longer than 30 days, or even close to that, it might be a good idea to call ahead. Or perhaps if you are not on time and bumping up against 30 days give them a call as well.

For sure... Mailing something 30 days in advance is really unnecessary anyway unless you're a maximum recluse who really doesn't know anyone enough to ask them to put a package in the mail when you let them know you're ready for it.

Alligator
09-17-2010, 10:10
For sure... Mailing something 30 days in advance is really unnecessary anyway unless you're a maximum recluse who really doesn't know anyone enough to ask them to put a package in the mail when you let them know you're ready for it.Probably multiple possibilities why someone might do it: not knowing the time limit, advance planners, independence, don't really know exactly myself. I'm always last minute with any mail drops I use and I have to send mine out priority and use the flat rate boxes because they are heavy.

Dogwood
09-17-2010, 10:25
Ditto to what JT said.

To add to and regurgitate what Marta said, do inform the PO that you will not need a box if that's the case! Or, if you sent it Priority you can call the PO and have the package forwarded to where you want it at the next PO which is included in the price of sending mail Priority.

AND, if you send a package to an outfitter, hostel, hotel, etc to hold for you and you plan on not picking it up do advise them of the situation. They often do this as as a free service for hikers or for hikers who are staying with them. Some places(non PO's) have stopped doing this, though not to my knowledge on the AT, because some forgetful/inconsiderate hikers seem to have the mistaken belief that these places should transport, handle, and store your package indefinitely or for prolonged durations.

weary
09-17-2010, 10:39

My then 11-year-old grandson wanted his watch, so he had his Mom send it to a post office in Connecticut against my advice since he was going to leave the trail in two weeks anyway to return to school, and he was only allowing a week for the watch to arrive.

Anyway, the watch wasn't at the post office when we passed through in August. He didn't see the watch again until January, when the post office finally decided he wasn't still on the trail and sent it back. I forget which town it was.

Weary