Stove: MSR Superfly
Cookset: GSI Pinnacle Soloist
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro
Hydromedary: Platypus 2 liter
Red Wine Container: Klean Kanteen 27oz
Radio: Grummin 400 Mini Radio
Knife: Small Buck Knife
Soap: Dr. Brommers small
Books: 1 softcover novel, 1 notebook, thru hikers companion...
Iphone...lame I know, but useful, and I love my musics...Headphones

Clothing:
1 pair of umbro soccer shorts
2 t shirts(1 polyester, one 75/25 polycotton blend)
2 Sets of Thermals (1 Under Amrour type, 1 merino wool type)
1 pair of track pants (rain pants)
1 rain jacket (basic shell only)
1 Wool shirt
1 Wool Beanie
1 synthetic balaclava
2 smartwool socks
1 sleeper socks - wool

Merrel Sawtooth Boots
Flip Flops

I think with food and water this may end up averaging between 30-35 pounds.
I carried 25 fully packed on the Long Trail, but I'm willing to carry the extra weight for a good nights sleep...

Just a Basic Idea of what I'm thinking...any thoughts?

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 10:05
Assuming one of the tee shirts is for sleeping and help keeping the bag clean

Probably don't need:
bag liner - but some like these although they're heavy for the insulative value
two sets of thermals - choose one
pillow - use stuff sack with clothing for pillow
balaclava and beanie - balaclava can usually be used as a beanie when rolled up

Probably do need:
Additional insulative layer during colder weather - lightweight down or syn. jacket or vest
Lighter / matches
Maps / compass or gps - some will debate this but I like to have a map and small compass
first aid - nothing big, but something for blisters, cuts, and tick removal, etc
30 to 50 ft of lightweight line for bear bagging, clothesline, tent rigging, pack hanging, etc.
10 ft or so of duct tape - so many uses - tent, pack, mattress repair, first aid, endless . . .
Camera?
And off course, ID, money, credit/debitcards (bring two in case of bank problems, mag stripe damage, etc), check expirations on ID and cards - and perhaps a buck or two of quarters for pay phones and soda machines (cell phones don't always work everywhere)

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 10:19
Oh, and gloves during cold weather.

Llama Legs
09-17-2010, 10:43
earplugs.

btw, good comments from 4

Luddite
09-17-2010, 11:20
Ok, Here Goes...keep in mind I'm 6'4" 220lbs:

Pack: Kelty Nimble 3500
Tent: Nemo Meta 2p + Footprint
Trekking Poles: Blk Diamond Elliptical
Bag:
Marmot Never Summer 0dgree Long/
Sierra Designs Wicked Light 45dgree

Pad: Thermarest NeoAir Long +
Thermarest Compressible Pillow Medium

Cookset: GSI Pinnacle Soloist
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro
Hydromedary: Platypus 2 liter

Knife: Small Buck Knife
Soap: Dr. Brommers small
Books: 1 softcover novel, 1 notebook, thru hikers companion...
Iphone...lame I know, but useful, and I love my musics...Headphones

Clothing:
1 pair of umbro soccer shorts
2 Sets of Thermals (1 Under Amrour type, 1 merino wool type)
1 pair of track pants (rain pants)
1 rain jacket (basic shell only)
1 Wool shirt
1 Wool Beanie
1 synthetic balaclava
2 smartwool socks
1 sleeper socks - wool

Merrel Sawtooth Boots
Flip Flops

I think with food and water this may end up averaging between 30-35 pounds.
I carried 25 fully packed on the Long Trail, but I'm willing to carry the extra weight for a good nights sleep...

Just a Basic Idea of what I'm thinking...any thoughts?

Stove: MSR Superfly - You should go with an alcohol stove. No maintenance required and lighter.

Red Wine Container: Klean Kanteen 27oz - Nicee

Radio: Grummin 400 Mini Radio - I would ditch it. You're already going to have your iphone.

Pad: Thermarest NeoAir Long - I'm just as tall as you and own the short neoair and use my backpack as a pad for my legs.

Liner: Sea to summit fleece liner - I'm not sure when your start date is but you could probably just bring a 20* bag and use this liner with it.

DinnerFer2
09-17-2010, 11:23
Thank you 4!

I forgot about the camera, and I have a small first aid kit with waterproof matches, a lighter, duct tape, moleskin, compass etc.

I'll definitely need a stuff sack for bear bagging, and some line for hanging cloithes etc.

I do think I'm going to stick with the pillow though, it's only 7 oz, I have very wide shoulders and I don't like sleeping on wet clothing. I'm into hanging my clothes every night so I don't think dual duty will work on that one.

What do you think about the wool shirt as an insulated layer? It's a long sleeve...

Razor
09-17-2010, 11:43
On my 10 month kit I carry a LS wool shirt and a western mountain down vest. It works very good ,even in some winter months depending on the forcast.The weight is 10 oz for the shirt and 4 oz on the vest vs 16 oz for my jacket.Much more versitle and can be adjusted for warm months also.

Panzer1
09-17-2010, 12:23
I would add:

bandanna
toilet kit
25 or 50 feet of rope
extra small zip lock baggies to protect gear like ipod and phone
gallon zip lock baggie for trash bag
headlamp and small photon button battery light
I always carry a small Swiss army knife in addition to the buck knife.
a cup to drink out of.
a wide mouth nalgene HDPE bottle
small thermometer just for the heck of it

and I would keep the pillow. I love it. Nothing else works as good. Would not go without it.

Panzer

DinnerFer2
09-17-2010, 12:48
O yeah I forgot to list my blk diamond spot headlamp, thanks for the tips!

DinnerFer2
09-17-2010, 13:18
[QUOTE=Luddite;1050658]Stove: MSR Superfly - You should go with an alcohol stove. No maintenance required and lighter.

What maintenance is required on a Superfly?

Luddite
09-17-2010, 14:00
I guess there really isn't any maintenance on the Pocket Rocket or the Superfly, but denatured alcohol seems to be easier to resupply along the AT. Those canisters aren't recyclable either.

4eyedbuzzard
09-17-2010, 14:56
Those canisters aren't recyclable either.

Sure they are. They're just steel cans. Just punch a hole in the bottom with a can opener - just make sure they're completely empty and used up first and not under pressure - screw onto your stove and make sure! Jetboil and others are making special $10.00 "recycling openers" with fancy names, but you can use a plain old "church key" on the bottom.

DinnerFer2
09-17-2010, 15:53
Thanks!!! GREAT ADVICE! I was wondering where I'd be depositing all those canisters...

lonewolftrekker
09-24-2010, 10:43
having hiked thru this year, I will SUGGEST :
use stuffsack of clothes lose the pillow.
cooking I would use a single pot(1liter)
instead of thruhikers companion save weight by using AWOLs or 501s guides... the Companion is a brick.
You may want 3 Platys 1liter for juicemix etc, for 2liter for camp water and 2liter bladder for on trail.
the balaclava may be a lil over the top a good fleece hat should sufice.
personally I think the leatherman Micra is better than a buckknife.
wool is kinda weighty but if you run cold it works for you... I think Mountain crossing may help you shake it down a bit more.

Moose2001
09-24-2010, 15:16
Dinner - what's your proposed start date? The Marmot 0 Degree bag and fleece bag liner are probably overkill unless you're doing a January/Feb start.

I'd second all the other comments. Only thing I would say is maybe look at carrying a heavy fleece instead of the wool shirt. I suspect the fleece is lighter and plenty warm.

Deadeye
09-24-2010, 15:32
Dinner - what's your proposed start date? The Marmot 0 Degree bag and fleece bag liner are probably overkill unless you're doing a January/Feb start.

I'd second all the other comments. Only thing I would say is maybe look at carrying a heavy fleece instead of the wool shirt. I suspect the fleece is lighter and plenty warm.

I agree with Moose. My usual kit is a long sleeve T, a light fleece, and a down vest. Fleece dries so fast - one snap and it's done. My other 2 cents: once your bottle of Dr. Bronners leaks all over your gear, you may want to consider bar soap!

DinnerFer2
09-29-2010, 08:34
So I took a test run in the Adirondacks this weekend, bagged Mt. Marcy and covered 20+ miles in a day and a half. I hiked with my buddy Wavepool who went from GA-ME in 2008. I've definitely reconsidered a number of things.

1. I stopped in Burlington and had the Nemo Meta 2p set up for me at Outdoor gear exchange. I wasn't that impressed. It isn't as roomy as I had imagined.

I think I'm going with Tarptent's Double Rainbow instead. It's just as big and weighs less, plus it has a freestanding option. I've also considered MSR's twin sisters but i am concerned about venting.

2. You guys are right on about the fleece shirt rather than the wool. I also found a pair of fleece pants, Muir Woods by REI that shed moisture very well. I've never hiked with rain pants before, I think I'll go with the fleece pants and maybe a longer rain jacket. I'm also going with 1 set of thermals instead of 2.

3. I'm dropping the Klean Kanteen. My buddy Wavepool just uses Vitamin Water 1L bottles, and when they get stained/mishaped etc he would just pick up a new one in the next town.

4. After checking out AWOL's AT guide I'm sold. That's the book I will be using.

5. I'm keeping the buck knife. I like having a fixed blade, there's no substitute. I'm supplementing it with a Gerber splice I received as a gift recently. It has the bare minimum of tools I will be needing...

Additionally,

The pillow is definitely staying. This is one subject Wavepool and I disagreed on, but I have tried rolling up my clothing into a stuff sack and it is just not the same. I like to hang my clothes at night, often. That pillow has been my best friend on the last few trips, it's worth the extra half pound.

I love my Brommer (I use it at home) but I'll consider the bars. They're probably lighter...The cool thing about the liquid is that it doubles as toothpaste. Doesn't taste as bad as you may think...

I won't bring the fleece liner initially, but do you guys think the 45 degree that barely makes it over my shoulders will cut it from Virginia to Vermont? My parents are in Manchester so I was planning on shipping my cold weather stuff (0 degree marmot, balaclava, gloves etc.) to VT when it gets warm in Virginia. I think I'd like to supplement the 45 with the fleece liner as a just in case for cold nights...what do you guys think?

So I guess this is my updated list for now, thanks for all your help!

Pack: Kelty Nimble 3500 -- 56 oz.
XXXTent: Tarptent Double Rainbow – 40 oz.
Bag: Marmot Never Summer 0dgree Long – 64 oz.
XXXPad: Thermarest NeoAir Long -- 19 oz.
Pillow: Thermarest Compressible Pillow Medium – 9 oz.
Stove: MSR Superfly – 5.1 oz.
Cookset: GSI Pinnacle Soloist – 10.7 oz.
Filter: Katadyn Hiker Pro – 11 oz.
XXXHydromedary: Platypus 3 liter -- 4 oz.
Bottle: Vitamin Water Bottle – 2 oz
XXXRadio: Grummin 400 Mini Radio – 3 oz.
Knife: Small Buck Knife – 5.5 oz
Tool: Gerber Splice – 2.5 oz.
Iphone – 4.7 oz.
Trekking Poles: Blk Diamond Elliptical – (20 oz.)

ROUGH ESTIMATED BASE WEIGHT: 236.5 oz. OR 14.78 pounds

XXXBooks: 1 softcover novel, 1 notebook, AWOL AT GUIDE
1 Pen and 1 Pencil
Headphones
Toothbrush/Paste
Dr. Bronners Soap
Debit Cards, ID, Cash
Small Med Kit.

Clothing:
2 pairs of umbro soccer shorts
1 set of thermals
1 REI Muir Woods Fleece Pants Large
1 lightweight rain jacket (Marmot Oracle?)
1 Fleece shirt (Colombia Sportswear Windward Overshirt?)

1 Wool Beanie
1 Baseball Cap
1 synthetic balaclava
Fleece Gloves
2 smartwool socks
1 sleeper socks - wool

Merrel Sawtooth Boots
Flip Flops

Summer Switch Gear:
Send Home Marmot 0 degree
Send Home Balaclava
Pickup Sierra Designs Wicked Light 45 degree + fleece liner
Thermal switch?

DinnerFer2
09-29-2010, 08:41
****! I keep forgetting my headlamp...Black Diamond Spot...adds 2 ounces to make the total 239.5 oz.

woops...what else did I forget? hmmmmm:o

4eyedbuzzard
09-29-2010, 09:06
I've got the same summer bag (SD Wicked Light) and it's good to 40 deg or so - wear base layer if it's a clear cold night. It does come in a "long" version so not sure how much of your shoulders would stick out in that - I have the regular and at 6 ft. it is just long enough for me. I wear a hat to keep my head warm. Haven't ever needed a liner for warmth at those temps.

Have to agree with others regarding the 0 deg bag - what's your start date? That's a pretty heavy bag.

You're taking a lot of little things and have made some equipment choices that add up weight wise. Be prepared to change out equipment for lighter alternatives and/or mail home any stuff you might decide you don't really need after all.

And while maybe not requiring mentioning, don't forget TP.

DinnerFer2
09-29-2010, 09:10
Start date is between 3/19/2011 and 4/3/2011...Yeah I suppose it is a bit heavy. I don't want to buy a new bag, and the 45 will be too chilly....

Pony
09-29-2010, 13:39
Personally I would ditch either the pen or the pencil, the radio, Dr. Bronners, either the knife or the multi-tool, the balacklava, one pair of shorts and the novel. As suggested you could switch out your stove for an alcohol stove to save weight, and also the filter for aqua mira. You could certainly save some weight on your sleeping pad and pillow, but that is a matter of personal comfort, so do what you gotta do. You should also have a food bag and rope, and don't forget that stuffsacks have weight as well. Not sure what is in your med kit, but most likely you won't need half of what's in it, and if you are a real weight weenie, bounce your guidebook ahead and tear out only the pages you need til your next maildrop. Didn't notice maps on your list and as far as a compass, if you think you will need one, then you can get a small keychain one that will work fine. I would keep the heavy bag until at least Damascus, and most likely til after Mt. Rogers somewhere. The 45* bag should be fine until at least Vermont, probably Hanover or Glencliff, but definitely trade it out before entering the Whites. The liner may be overkill though.

I'm sure I overlooked a few things but just remember, you have to carry it, and you'll figure out better what you need on the trail. There are a few hikers that seem to be concerned with what others are carrying, but if it's something that you want and are willing to carry, then don't listen to them. Most of the "gear experts" won't bother you by the time you hit Virginia, but don't worry, you'll run into some of them heading south around N.H.

DinnerFer2
09-29-2010, 21:21
Thanks Pony,

Yeah, I've thru-hiked 272 miles on the Long Trail. I've sent home gear. I know the deal. I'm definitely not an ultralight hiker, as you can tell by the pillow.

Like the radio...even if I have an ipod the radio must stay. It adds character to the trail to me. I can get a sense of each region as I pass thru it by listening to talk radio and local music etc.

I've used alcohol stoves before, I don't like the taste of aqua mira, i need to be reading a novel, and so on....

But I did decide today to ditch the balaclava, and the bronners. My med kit weighs 5 oz with a compass and i'm probably going to ditch the liner. I've started a sleeping bag discussion in another forum...I'd rather not buy a new one and I only have a 0 degree and a 45 degree.

But thank you all for your criticism, I am taking it very constructively, I hope I see some of you on the trail I believe I am headed in the right direction to cut weight without sacrificing my personal preferences.

Sincerely,
Dinner Fer 2

akaGrace
10-02-2010, 00:02
No need to carrie the beenie and the balaclava. Push the face cover of the balaclava up into the cap part when it isnt needed and leave the beenie at home. Download Kindle and radio to your Iphone and leave the novel and mini radio at home. Replace the pump filter, 2 L platy and 27 oz kanteen with a Platy or MSR gravity filter and add a hydration tube. Depending on the weight of your tent footprint, leave it at home or if it is light enough use it as a ground cloth under your pad and bag if you have to sleep in a shelter.

Where is your first aid and grooming kit? You can combine them. Trekking poles? Toilet necessaries? Is your notebook also your journal? You can use a page or two to record important phone numbers and addresses. Got a pen, headlamp, gloves, compass? Fuel for the stove?

Grace

akaGrace
10-02-2010, 00:03
Oh and bear bag and carabiner for hanging your food.

Grace

Moose2001
10-05-2010, 18:27
Dinner - You've got a good, functional gear list. If the stuff works for you, go for it.

I would point out a couple of things to you though.

I'm not a fan of single wall tents on the AT. The TT Double Rainbow is a great tent. I personally don't care for having a tent with condensation right next to me. Every tent gets condensation. I just prefer a double wall on the AT. YMMV.

4 pounds of sleeping bag is a lot of weight and bulk. I understand your not wanting to buy another bag. Still.....it's something you might want to consider.

a 45 degree bag should be fine for the summer. I wouldn't use the fleece liner though. Buy a silk and save yourself some bulk and weight.

Fleece pants are overkill. If you want pants, carry a ligtweight set of rain pants. You'll be surprised at how warm they are if you're hiking. I can't wear rain pants unless it's in the 30's and raining.

Have a great trip!

DinnerFer2
10-09-2010, 16:44
Thanks Moose! And Grace! Great advice.

I've been doing a lot of cutting...hopefully I'll be able to compensate for that anvil of a sleeping bag...

I'm definitely ditching the fleece pants and opting for "waterproof" hiking pants, like the North Face Outbound....

How long do you think I'd use a fleece button up long sleeve shirt before sending it home? to Virginia at least?

I'm also thinking of buying the Marmot PreCip rain jacket...any experience with that?

theinfamousj
10-10-2010, 19:35
Sure they are. They're just steel cans. Just punch a hole in the bottom with a can opener - just make sure they're completely empty and used up first and not under pressure - screw onto your stove and make sure! Jetboil and others are making special $10.00 "recycling openers" with fancy names, but you can use a plain old "church key" on the bottom.

So when my first!ever Jetboil canister becomes empty, should I:

(a) leave it attached to the stove and leave the valve open for a while to make sure the canister is really and truly empty

(b) punch a hole in the bottom with a church key can opener

(c) both

I had trouble figuring out which combination/single step I should do, from reading your post.

4eyedbuzzard
10-10-2010, 20:06
So when my first!ever Jetboil canister becomes empty, should I:

(a) leave it attached to the stove and leave the valve open for a while to make sure the canister is really and truly empty

(b) punch a hole in the bottom with a church key can opener

(c) both

I had trouble figuring out which combination/single step I should do, from reading your post.

A, then B.

theinfamousj
10-10-2010, 20:18
A, then B.

Thanks. :sun

Moose2001
10-11-2010, 13:58
Thanks Moose! And Grace! Great advice.

I've been doing a lot of cutting...hopefully I'll be able to compensate for that anvil of a sleeping bag...

I'm definitely ditching the fleece pants and opting for "waterproof" hiking pants, like the North Face Outbound....

How long do you think I'd use a fleece button up long sleeve shirt before sending it home? to Virginia at least?

I'm also thinking of buying the Marmot PreCip rain jacket...any experience with that?

I keep a fleece with me the entire trip. I start at Springer with a 300 weight fleece, expedition weight thermals for sleeping and a 20 degree sleeping bag. Heah...I sleep cold! Somewhere in VA, depending on the weather, I switch to a 100 weight fleece, light thermals for sleeping and a 45 degree sleeping bag. Works well for me. YMMV

Marmot Precip is a great jacket IMHO. I'm on my second one. It's probably the most frequently used jacket on the AT. Good windbreaker as well.

DinnerFer2
10-15-2010, 14:02
New and Improved Gear List:

PACK:
Kelty Nimble 3500 -- 56 oz. + SeaToSummitPackCover
IN PACK:
XXXNEMO Meta 2p -- 54.4 oz.
XXXKelty LightYear +20 Sleeping Bag Long – 42 oz.
XXXThermarest NeoAir Regular -- 14 oz.
Thermarest Compressible Pillow Medium – 9 oz.
Platypus Hoser 3 liter -- 4 oz.
Bear Bag + Carabiner + 25 feet of nylon rope ? oz.
BELT:
NETTED POCKETS:
MSR Superfly – 5.1 oz.
Canister (8 ounces of butane) – 5 oz.
GSI Pinnacle Soloist – 10 oz.
XXXGSI Ultralight coffeeDrip: 0.4 oz.
EXTERIOR STUFF SACK:
Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter – 11 oz.
Platypus Wine Container -- 0.8 oz.
MSR ULTRALIGHT PACKTOWEL XLARGE 3.1oz.
XXXDr. Bronner’s Soap

Personal Items in Brain of Pack:

IN ZIPPER POCKET:
Medical/Survival Kit

ZIPLOC:
Toiler Paper/Hand Sanitizer

STUFF SACK:
AT Guide/Notebook/Pencil
IPhone/Camera/Chargers
Debit Cards/ID/Cash
Headphones
Gerber Splice – 2.5 oz.
Grummin Radio – 3 oz.
Spot Headlamp – 3 oz.
AAA Batteries

ZIPLOC:
Toothbrush/Paste
Ear Plugs
Extra Tunnels

ZIPLOC:
Tobacco/Papers/Lighters

Clothing:
STUFF SACK:
2 T shirts (AA Track tee)
2 Polyester Umbro soccer shorts
XXX 1 Patagonia Simple Guide Pants Large Black – 11oz.
1 Poly/NylonShort Sleeve Collared Button Up
1 Wool/Fleece Long Sleeve Button Up Shirt
XXX 1 Patagonia Nano-Puff Pullover – 10.2 oz.
1 set of thermals
XXX 2 Smartwool Hiking Socks (Diff Colors)
XXX 1 pair Smartwool PHD outdoor Crew Socks
1 Wool Beanie
Fleece Gloves
OUTSIDE PACK:
1 rain jacket (Marmot PreCip Hedge Large Tall)
1 Baseball Cap

= 10 lbs?

FootWear:
Merrel Sawtooth Boots -- 46 oz.
XXXFlip Flops

Summer Switch Gear:
Pickup Sierra Designs Wicked Light 45 degree (25 oz) +
Thermal switch? Send Home Wool Shirt?

Moose2001
10-15-2010, 14:21
Hey Dinner.....good job. Got a couple more suggestions for you.

- Hydration....I'd go down to a 2 liter system. Water is heavy. 2 liters is plenty for the AT.
- I think there was some discussion about your stove. Most butane users end up carrying a spare cannister with them. Runs up your total weight.
- Smaller towel or cut it in half.
- What's a Gerber Splice?
- Extra Tunnels? What the hell are you carrying!!! :)
- Clothes! You only need one pair of shorts. If you're carrying two tshirts....make one a long sleeve for the cold/rainy days.
- A fleece and a micropuff? I would take the fleece.

northernstorm
10-15-2010, 14:38
The only thing more important than your pack weight is staying dry. Invest in good rain gear that is lightweight.

DinnerFer2
10-15-2010, 15:31
Moose:
Extra Tunnels: I wear large gauge earrings known as plugs or tunnels...I'm bring a few extra one's they're made of hardwoods, probably weigh as much as a set of dice.

I think I really would like a loft layer. I'm kinda sold on that Patagonia, I tried it on today it was niceeeeee.

You're right about 1 pair of shorts.

A Gerber Splice is sort of like a leatherman Micra, probably not as good.

a 3 liter Hoser is only 1/2 an oz heavier and I'd rather have a bag filled 2/3 of the way completely full and ready to pop.

DinnerFer2
10-15-2010, 15:32
...filled 2/3 of the way than completely full and ready to pop...

Moose2001
10-15-2010, 15:48
Extra Tunnels: I wear large gauge earrings known as plugs or tunnels

:) OH! See.....us old guys learn something new every day!

Doc Mike
10-15-2010, 16:08
Do you have a solar charger for the phone. My I phone and most i know of may make it two days and less if used frequently like reading a book or listening to music.

i've checked out the solar chargers and haven't been impressed if you have the solution please share.

Thanks
Doc Mike

DinnerFer2
10-15-2010, 16:34
@ Doc Mike:

Nope, just going straight wall charger. I plan on using it very sparingly.

sir limpsalot
10-15-2010, 16:44
New and Improved Gear List:
IN PACK:
XXXNEMO Meta 2p -- 54.4 oz.

I see you've gone with the meta 2p, at 6'1" and 235: I've been told that this would be too small. Do you touch the ceilings at feet or head?

DinnerFer2
10-15-2010, 16:47
@ Sir limpsalot:

I had it set up for me at Outdoor gear Exchange in Burlington. I was expecting more room, but did not touch the sides of the tent lying straight. The trick is to guy out the walls.

Being that I'm going solo, I plan on sleeping diagonally and enjoying the extra space.

DinnerFer2
11-10-2010, 19:18
Buying all this gear is getting expensive! I've decided not to drop $350 on the nemo meta 2P tent. I'm just going to bring my eureka spitfire 2. I'll find other places to trim weight...This is the latest of many lists I have thought out in this culling process...an X before nan item denotes that i haven't bought it yet...:eek:

Core Gear:
PACK:
Kelty Nimble 3500 -- 56 oz. + SeaToSummitPackCover
IN PACK:
Eureka Spitfire 2 -- 67 oz.
X Kelty Cosmic Down Long 20 degree– 44 oz.
X Thermarest NeoAir Regular -- 14 oz.
Thermarest Compressible Pillow Medium – 9 oz.
Platypus Hoser 3 liter -- 4 oz.
Bear Bag + Carabiner + 25 feet of nylon rope ? oz.
BELT:
EXTERIOR NETTED POCKETS:
GSI Pinnacle Soloist – 10 oz.
MSR Superfly – 5.1 oz.
Canister (8 ounces of butane) – 5 oz.
Garbage Ziploc
EXTERIOR STUFF SACK:
Katadyn Hiker Pro Filter – 11 oz.
Platypus Wine Container -- 0.8 oz.
MSR Towel --3.1oz.
Dr. Bronner’s Soap
1 Bandanna

Personal Items in Brain of Pack:

IN ZIPPER POCKET:
Medical/Survival Kit

ZIPLOC:
Toiler Paper/Hand Sanitizer

STUFF SACK:
XAT Guide/Notebook/Pencil
IPhone/Camera/Chargers
Duct Tape Wallet: Debit Cards/ID/Cash
Headphones
Swiss Army Huntsman – 4 oz.
Grummin Radio – 3 oz.
Spot Headlamp – 3 oz.
AAA Batteries
ZIPLOC:
Toothbrush/Paste
Ear Plugs
ZIPLOC:
Tobacco/Papers/Lighters

Clothing:
STUFF SACK:
2 T shirts (AA Track tee)
1 Polyester Umbro soccer short
X 1 Prana Zion Stretch Pant XL
X1 Silver Ridge Columbia
X 1 Patagonia Nano-Puff Pullover XL
1 set of thermals
2 Smartwool Hiking Socks (Diff Colors)
1 pair Smartwool Sleep Socks
1 Wool Beanie
Synthetic Gloves
OUTSIDE PACK:
X1 Marmot PreCip Hedge XLarge Tall – 13.1 oz
1 Baseball Cap

FootWear:
Merrel Sawtooth Boots -- 46 oz.
XCrocs Crostrail

Summer Switch Gear:
Pickup Sierra Designs Wicked Light 45 degree (25 oz) +
Thermal switch?

Trailbender
11-12-2010, 09:43
I met and summitted with a guy named Sonic, he was 6'6", not sure of body weight, but his pack weight was usually 60+ lbs, including a 5lb jar of peanut butter. He did not seem to have any issues with pack weight. I, on the other hand, am 5'11" and 150, so pack weight is a huge deal for me. You should probably be able to get away with a heavier pack.

Blissful
11-12-2010, 10:31
Some observations on the lists -
I can tell you for a fact that many SOBOS I was with this year ditched their water filters - they broke within 2 weeks. Go with Aquamira. Save weight there.
Boots are heavy and stay wet forever. Trail runners are great and are all you need for the AT. But get fitted properly the first time is a must. Go to a professional running shop or the like. If your first pair is expensive but work for you, then you can go online an order more pairs where they are cheaper.
Many on their list have only 2 pairs of hiking socks. I think this is a mistake. I'd go with three. Take care of your feet, esp early on when you WILL get blisters and have wet, muddy, snowy slushy conditions.

TheChop
11-13-2010, 20:56
Boots are heavy and stay wet forever.

In my experience one of the reasons people's boots stay wet forever is the Gore-Tex lining in many boots. I bought the Vasque Breeze model that didn't have the GT lining. It's hard to find them in regular stores because everyone goes waterproof = better so I had to order off Moosejaw but the truth is the GT breaks down quickly due to sweaty feet. At a shelter during snow and slush and general nasty wetness my boots would dry out completely while other people with Gore Texed Breezes would still be wet.

Of course since the GT had worn out they were no longer waterproof either! I generally like the feel of boots and they are heavier but boots do not automatically equate to wet shoes. If the boot is lightweight and breathable it will dry out as quick as a trail runner.

dgaf169
12-09-2010, 15:02
I dont know when your starting but being that you have a zero degree bag im guessing fairly early. Although ive never used one my hiking partner had a neo air and he said it had no insulating value. he put a space blanket underneath his pad and its seemed to help a lot. they dont weigh much but i will warn you they are pretty noisy.

good luck

So Far
12-09-2010, 15:06
Looks good...I love my neoair...the only thing i would say is to get a water fiter u can clean.

Buzz Saw
12-09-2010, 19:18
I have a down vest I take when camping really great if it gets cold, but best of all it makes a great pillow. Double duty when ever possible.