PDA

View Full Version : Georgia- Not to be missed?

ShoelessWanderer
09-17-2010, 11:53
So I'm planning a section hike through Georgia in the middle of October. I LOVE to blue blaze and stop and smell the roses (much to the annoyance of my group :)). So...in Georgia, what should I definatly not miss? Any good points of interest? Also...favorite campsites or shelters?

jesse
09-17-2010, 12:20
Long falls. If you camp near 3 forks, you can go to the falls during camp time and not slow anybody down.

ShoelessWanderer
09-17-2010, 12:22
Long falls. If you camp near 3 forks, you can go to the falls during camp time and not slow anybody down.

hehe...They hike without me when I go on my weird little side excursions...that's why we all have a map :) But that is an awesome suggestion, thanks!

Luddite
09-17-2010, 12:51
Brasstown Bald is the highest mountain is GA. Theres a side trail to it somewhere.

webyrd
09-17-2010, 13:17
I agree with both the above, nice campsite on the side-trail to Long Creek Falls, also might want to plan to spend a little extra time on Blood and Tray Mountains and at the Walasi-yi center, right on the trail.

max patch
09-17-2010, 15:01
After Long Creek Falls (if heading NOBO) turn left (west) at the first fs road for a very short distance and check out Hickory Flatt Cemetary. Good place for a break.

Luddite
09-17-2010, 15:04
After Long Creek Falls (if heading NOBO) turn left (west) at the first fs road for a very short distance and check out Hickory Flatt Cemetary. Good place for a break.

Make sure you hold your breath.

Sierra Echo
09-17-2010, 17:34
Brasstown Bald is the highest mountain is GA. Theres a side trail to it somewhere.

Jacks Knob Trail

Skidsteer
09-17-2010, 19:48

Jacks Knob Trail

Yep. It peels off to the left in Chattahoochee Gap.

It crosses 180 so it's possible to hike up to Brasstown, scoot back down to the highway, and thumb a lift to Unicoi Gap.

veteran
09-18-2010, 09:54

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6870&stc=1&d=1252159331

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/5512/tj5512%5F050407%5F194611%5F215387.jpg

Luddite
09-18-2010, 16:33
I gotta remember to camp there. That looks scary.

How old are the graves? Thats nice somebody puts flowers on them

springerfever
09-18-2010, 18:18
Some date back into the 1800's. Lots of kinfolk still live around there and I believe they have get-togethers at the cemetery once a month or so. I've also seen hunters using the area for their homebase. I would guess they have relatives buried there.There is also an outbuilding which houses male/female restrooms but no place to get rid of trash. If you do visit, try to leave it cleaner than when you arrived. Would be a great place to get out of the weather if storming.

ShoelessWanderer
09-20-2010, 21:28
Ooh that's an awesome looking graveyard, will definatly have to go check it out.

Dances with Mice
09-20-2010, 21:54
Yep. It peels off to the left in Chattahoochee Gap.

It crosses 180 so it's possible to hike up to Brasstown, scoot back down to the highway, and thumb a lift to Unicoi Gap.I think I'd rather thumb a ride up Brasstown Bald.

Many Walks
09-20-2010, 22:09
It's not a special view or historic place on the AT like you're probably looking for, but Suches is about 20 mi. in and 2 miles off the trail. Easy hitch both ways. The Two Wheel Only campground (close to the gas station and PO) has $7 tent camping with showers and they have a great restaurant. It's a motorcycle campground, but they are very hiker friendly.

Sierra Echo
09-20-2010, 22:10
I think I'd rather thumb a ride up Brasstown Bald.

There is a shuttle, but I'm not sure of its schedule.

ShoelessWanderer
09-21-2010, 20:11
Any recommendations on favorite campsites or shelters? It'd be for a group of 7-8 hikers.

Egads
09-21-2010, 20:30
Mountain Crossings at Neel's Gap

Graywolf
09-29-2010, 18:00
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6870&stc=1&d=1252159331

http://www.trailgallery.com/photos/5512/tj5512%5F050407%5F194611%5F215387.jpg

I missed this place on my section hike last year. I saw a sign on the trail that said "Camp, 100 yds, shed". Didnt realize it at the time that this was the cemetary.Until I asked about it here on WB after I came home. Going to check this place out next time..

Graywolf

jtken
01-13-2011, 20:56
can you have a campfire at mountain crossings?

Skidsteer
01-13-2011, 21:28
can you have a campfire at mountain crossings?

No, the building is constructed entirely of stone.

Yahtzee
01-13-2011, 22:48
Not exactly off-trail, but I would definitely set out a nice chunk of time to enjoy the view from Big Cedar Mt. Absolutely majestic. Only suffers in comparison to the NH and ME. I think because it is the first "big" view on the trail it tends to get forgotten.

Dances with Mice
01-14-2011, 06:18
No, the building is constructed entirely of stone.Well, you could build one in the parking lot flower beds but I don't think they'd appreciate it.

10-K
01-14-2011, 08:35
Don't miss the climb out of Stecoah Gap and the next one just north of that. :)

Skidsteer
01-14-2011, 09:46
Stecoah Gap is in NC.

10-K
01-14-2011, 09:48
Stecoah Gap is in NC.

Well, since he's going to be so close.....

FatMan
01-14-2011, 10:49
If you are into large water falls then start on the approach trail to see Amicalola Falls.

Tinker
01-14-2011, 11:06
I'm guessing that the OP has already done his hike (posted Sept. of '10), but since it's back up, I'll say that I had a nice stay just north of Neel Gap at a nice flat spot in a high gap (forgot the name). The site's suitable for quite a few campers if money's too tight to stay at the outfitters.

Tinker
01-14-2011, 11:07
Er........make that her (just viewed public profile) hike.

Blissful
01-14-2011, 16:35
Well, you could build one in the parking lot flower beds but I don't think they'd appreciate it.

That's pretty funny. :D

You could build it next to the ripped up backpack on the porch that was there in the fall, to illustrate the hungry bears around.

jtken
01-14-2011, 21:35
leaving in the morning from coopers gap to hogpen gap

MoodyBluer
01-15-2011, 11:52
Make sure you hold your breath.

Guess this is a reference to the restrooms? Was there in the fall and didn't notice no stank...

Cottontp
02-02-2012, 16:32
Keep the suggestions coming, I'm planning a 5 day hike south bound, with two other hikers. We live Georgia, usually hike out of the approach trail.Looking for some unforgettable sites.Haven't fully decided where to start yet.Oh and departer date is leap day, the no day

Tinker
02-02-2012, 16:43
Keep the suggestions coming, I'm planning a 5 day hike south bound, with two other hikers. We live Georgia, usually hike out of the approach trail.Looking for some unforgettable sites.Haven't fully decided where to start yet.Oh and departer date is leap day, the no day

You might want to start a new thread regarding your hike. This might get buried when folks notice the the OP's post is waaaaaaay old. :)

Sierra Echo
02-02-2012, 17:07
Well, you could build one in the parking lot flower beds but I don't think they'd appreciate it.

I went pumpkin bowling in that flower bed!

Spogatz
02-03-2012, 16:34
There is a place out back where they have been known to get a fire going and sometimes a drum circle.

waasj
04-06-2012, 10:25
Blood Mountain, suprised that hasn't made the list although it is not a side trip. Cow Rock is the flat rocker Tinker is talking about (I think). A good side trip if you don't mind a bit of a bushwhack is to drop down to Raven Cliff Falls. Drop down out of Whitly Gap (?) and pick up the Dodd Creek Trail. This brings you in at the top of the falls and it is not a bad hike.

Gonecampn
10-12-2013, 21:05
I love really old cemeteries! I also can't stand it when my hiking partners want to make a be line from point A to B without even enjoying the scenery! That is exactly why I do many of my solo hikes alone. I have hiked most of the BMT through GA but I have only completed the AT approach trail to the top of Springer so I can't offer any suggestions but there is some beautiful wilderness in GA.

Last Call
10-12-2013, 22:23
Preaching Rock after you leave Woody Gap is spectacular.....mile 21.8.

Jaycvetko
02-02-2015, 10:47
Planning on doing a three night hike in Georgia in June. I would love to get suggestions on the where to start. We don't have to start at Springer, so what is your recommendation on the best 3 night section in Georgia.

Thanks,

Trailweaver
02-02-2015, 17:45
Don't think so. There are campsites on either side of it a ways up/down the trail, but not really right there at the building. They have the hostel there, and don't really encourage tent camping. I think you'd be happiest around the Springer to Three Forks hiking area - and seeing Long Creek Falls, the cemetery, and maybe beyond there. If you have time to hike on to Neel Gap do that. . . otherwise, drive over there. Also - there are cabins for rent right at Neel Gap, so you could call and get the numbers (several different cabin rental agencies) because in Oct. it's likely to be reservation only. Several hiking trails out from the cabins to different water falls not on the AT.

You might also be interested in the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega as a place to stay before/after your hike. (hikerhostel.com) They also would shuttle you to/from your hike.

Trailweaver
02-03-2015, 02:10
There are campsites a short distance on either side of Mountain Crossings, and you could probably build a fire there (provided there is an already established fire ring, please), but I don't think that you can camp at Mountain Crossings. They do have a hostel. Another Hostel is the Hiker Hostel at Dahlonega, and they will shuttle to the trail or pick you up. You might want to take their phone number with you on the hike in case you need a pick up (someone gets too tired, sick, or just wants an "out.") They can be found at hikerhostel.com. There are also cabins for rent quite reasonably close to Mountain Crossings, and you could call them for phone numbers of several companies that rent the cabins. Numerous trails to several water falls are around the area, and you can hike from the cabins, provided you don't mind the long hike uphill coming back. Dahlonega is a nice little town to visit, and they have several nice restaurants, if you want an evening out before your hike or after. I would suggest you make reservations early if you want a cabin, as they quickly get snatched up in October. Have a nice trip.

Trailweaver
02-03-2015, 02:12
Oops - sorry for "double posting" - I thought my post got lost in space.