PDA

View Full Version : Getting at the natural gas in state forests

litespeedlujak
09-17-2010, 21:07
http://www.wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=85774
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10164/1065304-455.stm
http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2010/06/dep_orders_natural_gas_driller.html
HHHHmmmm A blowout preventer was responsible.
I had a huge rant that went well with this post. But one of my dogs puked. In the time it took me to clean it up, I came to the conclusion that most of the people on here are intelligent and can come to there own conclusions. Thank God my dog vomited.
And one last thing along the lines of energy needs. One of the neatest golf courses in WV is the Twisted Gun Golf Club in Mingo Co. Now I don't golf but I think this course is so neat. It evolved from a strip mine. I thought maybe something good finally came from a strip mine. It looks like the courses in Scotland. No trees. Just looks windswept. My supervisor told me today that something has killed all of the fairways. Supervisor thought is was some sort of mold. Still makes one wonder though. I assume this guy knows what he is talking about.

bummer72
09-18-2010, 09:01
I wish drilling in the Marcellus Shale for natural gas deposits here in PA was safe...we had that incident, but it brought to light other undisclosed incidents and some accusations about ruined wells, etc.

I'd hate to see the lost opportunity to improve our states financial resources; I'd also hate to see a whole section of natural resources blighted because of an accident. :-?

BTW, there are lots of reasons the all the fairways on a golf course can die simutaneously. I've worked on a greens crew, and I've seen all kinds of wacky things. Coulda been poorly timed application of fertilizer/pesticide/herbicide, coulda been a disease picked up on one mower and spread over the whole course, or it coulda been drought. Turf management is a science, no doubt. Of course, it could have been contaminated well water, contaminated from natural gas drilling.....:eek:

Luddite
09-18-2010, 14:55
I heard the Chinese dye their strip mined hills green to make them look pretty.

The natural resources belong in the national forest.

Alligator
09-18-2010, 15:11
The thread is going to need to be related to any AT impacts, otherwise it will end up closed. Thanks.

ki0eh
09-18-2010, 15:50
I don't believe the Marcellus Shale underlays any of the A.T. but it sue is under plenty of other trails such as the Great Eastern Trail components.

LIhikers
09-18-2010, 18:42
The Finger Lakes Trail Conference has addressed this issue HERE (http://www.cayugatrailsclub.org/FLTC/FingerLakesTrailComment.pdf)

Gray Blazer
09-18-2010, 19:04
The thread is going to need to be related to any AT impacts, otherwise it will end up closed. Thanks.

Lots of natural gas at the AT shelters during thruhiker season.

Alligator
09-18-2010, 19:34
I don't believe the Marcellus Shale underlays any of the A.T. but it sue is under plenty of other trails such as the Great Eastern Trail components.I simply glanced at the formation map myself, there may be a piece under the VA AT. I didn't do an overlay map. While WB does cover other trails, it's been decided that issues that have a political component need to be confined to the AT. That gets defined narrowly as the Politics forum was closed. Thanks in advance.

Wise Old Owl
09-18-2010, 23:15
I did a rough overlay of a AT map and the proposed wells - it affects other trails, not the AT here in the PA.

litespeedlujak
09-19-2010, 00:21
OK, perhaps I did get a bit off track with this concern. That being said, it is common knowledge that most of Appalachia is full of coal and natural gas. While the A.T. is certainly a historic treasure and should remain so for all time, it should be noted that irresponsible politicans will do irresponsible things. I don't think it would be likely for a coal mine to open directly on the A.T. but they have been located very close to it. Where is the underground mine located in Pennsylvania that has been burning for 40 years? And the A.T. is not that wide. As well, something called horizontal drilling could come into play (or at least so I read). I imagine this would allow anyone with enough clout to set up just yards off the A.T. boundries and to mine or dig a well as they please. Understand that I am not a natural resources type guy. I just know what I read. And I consider myself fairly well read. Remove the thread if you don't think my response and my post raises concerns about the A.T.

litespeedlujak
09-19-2010, 00:56
OK, perhaps I did get a bit off track with this concern. That being said, it is common knowledge that most of Appalachia is full of coal and natural gas. While the A.T. is certainly a historic treasure and should remain so for all time, it should be noted that irresponsible politicans will do irresponsible things. I don't think it would be likely for a coal mine to open directly on the A.T. but they have been located very close to it. Where is the underground mine located in Pennsylvania that has been burning for 40 years? And the A.T. is not that wide. As well, something called horizontal drilling could come into play (or at least so I read). I imagine this would allow anyone with enough clout to set up just yards off the A.T. boundries and to mine or dig a well as they please. Understand that I am not a natural resources type guy. I just know what I read. And I consider myself fairly well read. Remove the thread if you don't think my response and my post raises concerns about the A.T.

litespeedlujak
09-19-2010, 01:43
One other thing concerning this post. I'm not really a political kind of guy either. I just made a post that I thought people might find interesting.