PDA

View Full Version : New Balance 813 question

btfire
09-17-2010, 22:03
Does anybody have any experience with the New Balance 813 trailrunner shoe? I have always enjoyed the 800 series from th 802s on up until the 810 which sucked more than anything I can remember. I do not have any stores nearby that I can actually see/touch the shoe to find out if it continues with pattern that started with the 810. Any assistance is appreciated.

Toolshed
09-17-2010, 22:13
I'm the same as you - Started with the 80x in 2000 and stayed with them religiously. I picked up a pair of 813's 2 2months ago but haven't worn them yet, as I still have a few pairs of 811 in the closet that I got on closeout that I have to go through. I did try them on though and the fit perfect - the same SL1 Last.

topshelf
09-18-2010, 08:29
I love new balance shoes, I think they fit my feet well. If you can't get ahold of a pair look at roadrunnersports. They have two good guarantees in case you dont like the shoe and you ca send em back.

topshelf
09-18-2010, 08:31
and BTW check and see if you need to be a VIP member to get those guarantees

Tenderheart
09-18-2010, 11:18
As a runner and hiker, I have worn out my fair share of NB 800's. I think you're right that the quality went down as the number on the shoe went up. The 802's were simply bomb-proof. I have run up to 1200 miles before discarding them, which is really extraordinary for a running shoe. I think the last pair I owned was the 810, and it was a sad successor to such a great shoe.

litefoot 2000

btfire
09-18-2010, 12:25
The 810 was the end of the end. The 809s were a decent shoe that stood up well over 1200 AT miles and 300-400 prior to. I had bloody blisters on my feet within 50 miles on the 810s and suffered for 200 miles before I found 806 on clearance. Currently I hike with used 807s I found on eBay. They will not last long and before I shelled money out on something else I wanted to know whether quality is back with the 813. Pictures make it look a lot like the 810, but the truth is in the feel. The nearest store I know stocks them is a six hour drive.

garlic08
09-18-2010, 14:00
Funny, I had a bad experience with the 809s, but they've been fine for me since then. My 813s had a minor rubbing around the outside ankle, quickly fixed with a knife.

Toolshed
09-18-2010, 14:37
Check out Joe's New Balance Outlet. http://www.shopnewbalance.com/search_results.asp?qry=813&s1=JNBO&s2=NotFound&s3=Style

They cover shipping on the return if you do not like.

BTW, Those several pais of 811's that I said I still had, I just looked - they are actually 809's. I also didn't care for 810's or 811's.

Tilly
09-18-2010, 14:53
I am curious about this too.

Although I hiked in 810's and had zero problems, I loved them. Held up pretty well, considering what I put them through (I went through 2 1/2 pairs, still have the last pair but not for long...)

2 other hikers said that the 811 or 812 sole--can remember--was horrible because the material was too hard and slippery. I wonder if the 813's are like this...

JAK
09-18-2010, 20:56
It's sad the way they discontinue good shoes, and mix quality and crap under the same brand names. Drives you crazy. To make matters worse, must stuff in most stores is total crap, not even close, so you have to go online to find good stuff, and then you can't really tell because you can't try it on. When you do find something that works you need to then go online to get a few pairs before they are discontinued, and often it is too late. They will have something pretty close, but it becomes a crap shoot.

JAK
09-18-2010, 21:07
Another good argument for learning to make your own shoes I suppose.

Another thought. If you can make something like cross-country waffles work for you, by getting a 1/2 size up to fit hiking socks or whatever, and maybe an insole, they do tend to remain fairly consistent in construction and design. They are somewhat less prone to marketing trends compared to trail runners and road racers and trainers etc. You still have the issue of not finding them in most stores, but they might not be discontinued as regularly. Anyway, just a thought.

Wish I got more pairs of Adizeros before they got clunkier. They still have the aidzero trail runner, but it was never built purely for performance the way the original adizero running flat was. Now there are like 20 different kinds of adizeros, all of them crap compared to the original. They make a big deal about how light they are now, even though they've made them heavier. Totally bogus. The originals were cheaper also. I'm still getting miles out of them, with half the tread gone, and there wasn't much tread to start with. Awesome shoe. Still ok, but not like the original. I love the drain hole and none of them seem to have that now.

Deb
09-21-2010, 17:22
2 other hikers said that the 811 or 812 sole--can remember--was horrible because the material was too hard and slippery. I wonder if the 813's are like this...

The 809s were the perfect trailrunner for me. I replaced them with the 811s and wasn't happy. The sole is hard slippery plastic. I wear them often anyway, trying and trying to break them in, but they aren't that comfortable. The 809s had a blocky toe, the 811s have a more pointed toe.

I put my worn out 809s back together with Shoe Goo and have been hiking in them again.

mark schofield
10-13-2010, 08:52
someone posted that Cabela's has the NB 806. check out the thread and here's the link to Cabela's
www.cabelas.com/product/New-Balance-806-All-Terrain-Series/749307.uts