PDA

View Full Version : I hear that TarpTent comin', comin' 'round the bend . . .

Sassafras Lass
09-18-2010, 09:20
:banana Just ordered the Double Rainbow that DH and I will be using for our NOBO thru next year, can't wait for it to arrive! Also, as expected, Mr. Shires employs impeccable customer service - I received 2 confirmations by email, and within 48 hours was emailed my UPS tracking number.

What did you guys decide upon for a shelter, and why did you pick what you did?

bigcranky
09-18-2010, 09:31
The Double Rainbow is a nice tent. Enjoy it.

cowpoke
09-18-2010, 10:45
Just received my Double Rainbow...set it up out back and seam sealed it. Will use it for first time next week on my section hike from Burningtown Gap over to Fontana. Need to practice setting it up...took a while to get the hang of it..but fairly straight forward now. I think you will like. cheers.

Mountain Wildman
09-18-2010, 13:39
I chose the Nemo Meta 2P and Footprint, An Awesome shelter with room for 2 plus gear, However, It weighs 55.5 ounces and the footprint weighs 11.1 ounces for a grand total of 66.6 ounces (4 lbs. 2.6 oz.), Which is not bad for 2 people and it is 20D PU Nylon and unlike Silnylon it is Waterproof.
BUT,
It is only going to be me Thru-Hiking next year and in an effort to bring my base pack weight down to 30 lbs. or less I have decided to go with a Gossamer Gear "The One" since it will accommodate me and my backpack.
Grand total:
Gossamer Gear The One - 16.2
The One Stuff Sack - 0.4
15 Ft. EZC1 1mm Line - 0.2
Polycryo Ground Sheet - 1.5
8 MSR Needle Stakes - 2.8

21.1 ounces (1lb. 5.1oz.)

Weight removed from my Pack/Back=45.5oz. (2lbs. 13.5oz.)

garlic08
09-18-2010, 13:54
I've been a Henry Shires fan since 2003 when I had the honor of reviewing the old Virga. I used the Virga until it was in tatters, then bought a Contrail. What a tent! I have nearly 6,000 trail miles on the Contrail and it looks ready for 6,000 more, I hope. I also have a two-person Squall, which my wife and I have been using since 2004. Henry makes a great product and stands behind it.

Luddite
09-18-2010, 14:41
I just ordered a Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn for thruhike.

Franco
09-18-2010, 18:33
I shot this video sometime ago to show that it can be set up very close to the ground if you want to :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Mxbpc1ac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Mxbpc1ac)
Franco

LIhikers
09-18-2010, 21:16
My wife and I have 2 Tarptents.
When either of us goes out solo, or just with our dog, we use a Tarptent Rainbow (single) and when we go out together we use a Tarptent Rainshadow. We also have a Sierra Designs Sirius 3 tent that is a very nice design, but noticeably heavier, and bulkier, than the Rainshadow.

Don H
09-18-2010, 21:25
I'm taking my Rainbow. It;s one of the early models but is still going. I was thinking of buying a Moment but the struts don't come out of the ends easily which means I can't stuff it in my pack sideways.

Sassafras Lass
09-19-2010, 14:18
I shot this video sometime ago to show that it can be set up very close to the ground if you want to :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Mxbpc1ac (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv8Mxbpc1ac)
Franco

Yeah, I found that a few months ago - I heard that accent and told DH, "Hey! Bet you a hundred bucks it's that Aussie guy on WhiteBlaze." :)

Sassafras Lass
09-19-2010, 14:20
Whoops! Wrong video - I was watching this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkEqD5zu4JI&feature=related and thought it was you at first, then found your video stream . . .

Franco
09-19-2010, 17:55
Gheparda
Yes I do have a distinctive,odd really, accent ( sometimes I don't even understand it...) , nothing like the one from the Aussie guy in your link.
Watching the other Aussie review reminds me that adding zip pulls is a good idea. I use mason line for that (bright and very light)
BTW , I am not the Aussie agent, just a friend of Henry. So purchases and g/tees are from TT , I just fiddle with them, ship some out and offer (if needed) some help
regarding choice of shelter/set ups/repairs and mods.
Franco

Sassafras Lass
09-20-2010, 10:43
BTW , I am not the Aussie agent, just a friend of Henry. So purchases and g/tees are from TT , I just fiddle with them, ship some out and offer (if needed) some help
regarding choice of shelter/set ups/repairs and mods.
Franco

Gotcha; in that case, I imagine I'll be peppering you with Q's as soon as it arrives :D

ky chris
09-20-2010, 10:54
I got a Tarptent Moment this year and absolutely love it.

I put off getting a tarptent because of having to do the sealing myself. It was sooo easy and kind of fun. Make sure to follow the directions on this. I used a cheap foam brush and you can barely see where I've painted it on. For those couple of needle holes that didn't seal with the first coat I just reapplied a few times. No problem!

sbhikes
09-20-2010, 14:18
I got a Gossamer Gear One. I love it. I used a Squall Classic for a few hundred miles and didn't like it as much as The One.

Also have a Lundar Duo. It's a nice tent but I hate the green color.

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 14:56
I got a Gossamer Gear One. I love it. I used a Squall Classic for a few hundred miles and didn't like it as much as The One.

Also have a Lundar Duo. It's a nice tent but I hate the green color.

I would not mind green, The One is gray I believe.
As soon as they get it back in stock I will place my order.
At 16 ounces I would use it even if it was pink!!!
Well, Maybe not pink.;)

Franco
09-20-2010, 16:32
Gheparda
You are welcome

Colours
Funny how theory and reality differs.
Often I see people going on about how they would love a green tent "to blend in", trouble is that in practice whatever green you choose it will not match the one in the bush (forest to you...)
OK, maybe it will, but spend a day inside a green/blue shelter and one in a grey one and see if it feels the same.
BTW, in photographic terms the TT type grey is very close to the 18% grey used to calibrate light meters. The advantage of a neutral grey is that it just cuts some light without causing a colour cast. Like it or not colours affect our moods. (that is why winter tents tend to have a yellow inner, yellow=happy, blue/green not so much)
Franco

bigcranky
09-20-2010, 22:02
We have a Lunar Duo. The one in the shop in Damascus was green -- hated it. Got the gray one from the manufacturer. Waking up to green light on everything is just ugly.

Sassafras Lass
09-21-2010, 11:07
So does Mr. Shires produce 2 different colors, then? Or is the green found on the older models of tents exclusively?

I'm an amateur photographer and wouldn't mind having my tent be a gigantic grey card :) A tent that doubles as photo gear, how awesome is that? Though I'm not opposed to green, green is one of my favorite colors and I always prefer natural colors to something obnoxious and bright (with the exception of bright royal purple, of course)

sbhikes
09-21-2010, 11:35
I don't like the green because it's really dark inside and stains my vision with hot pink. The gray is bright inside and doesn't cause a stain on my vision.

And yes, being creatures of the earth, our vision is really sensitive to green and so we can see the unusual shade of green of the tent in the forest. We don't notice the gray so much, or even blue as much as we notice green.

10-K
09-21-2010, 11:38
In typical WB fashion I'll be completely contrary and say that have the solo and duo, both in green and I love the color. :)

(I do really like the green. I guess I'm not the only one because Ron hasn't discontinued the color after all these years...)