PDA

View Full Version : Trail guide on a smart phone

Don H
09-18-2010, 11:53
Has anyone used a downloaded version of a trail guide on their smart phone instead of carrying a hard copy? I'm thinking that if I'm carrying a phone like the Motorola Droid and download a copy of the AT Thruhikers' Companion is there any reason why I need to carry the book? I will be carrying a spare battery just in case.

Moose2001
09-18-2010, 12:24
Depending on electronics on the trail is an invitation for a problem. Batteries die, devices get wet or they get dropped. Then what?

Grinder
09-18-2010, 12:27
I downloaded the at guide that is available on this site in to my electric book.

It only indexed the first 10 pages and searches for higher pages resulted in LONG searches the exhausted the battery in no time at all.

Test before you leave or you'll be begging for trail information like I was. <G>

Luddite
09-18-2010, 12:30
Depending on electronics on the trail is an invitation for a problem. Batteries die, devices get wet or they get dropped. Then what?

Then you're forced to ask other hikers how far to the next spring and then you might have to buy a thru hikers guide when you get to town.

Graywolf
09-18-2010, 12:57
Paper trail guides require no batteries, no recharging and are very reliable as they dont quit working after a while. If you get the waterproof variety, then water isnt an issue either...

I say the paper guides win the day..

ExosC3
09-21-2010, 13:43
i agree, stick with paper..

ive used my iPhone for a number of hikes, simply to test it out, see how it worked and how long it lasted etc. bc of poor signal in the woods, the battery dies much quicker...

besides its nice to page ahead or flip back in the book when you need to. on the phone, it would be annoying..

ExosC3
09-21-2010, 13:44
lol what they need to do, it add the AT to google maps, so you can use your map feature, and just type in "Springer Mountain, ME" and it will give you gps walking directions lol...

ExosC3
09-21-2010, 13:46
i mean mt katahdin ME not springer mtn lol...dam sobos got me all confused

lunatic
09-21-2010, 17:51
I started my 2009 thru with an electronic version and a hard copy. Was only using hard copy by the 4th day. It was so much easier to quickly get to the pages I wanted to see, take notes on, throw around camp at night, swat bugs with, etc. And it got plenty wet in all the rain I went through. Much better for me to have and use the hard copy. That's my experience.

Don H
09-21-2010, 17:57
Thanks for the input, I think I'll go with a guide book. Now I need to decide which one.