PDA

View Full Version : off brand crocs? Weight?....I am interested in...

nawlunz
09-18-2010, 13:00
getting a pair of crocs for watercrossings, but the weight of 6-8 oz for each shoe is giving me pause....I thought I had read about off brand crocs at walmart, and other places, that were just a couple of oz per shoe...Is that correct?
If not, what can I expect as being the least weight in a pair of crocs, or if not crocs, what is another lightweight water shoe for crossings?

perrito
09-18-2010, 13:18
My pair of Walmart knockoffs weigh 12.2oz. for the pair. Unfortunately, I can't find them anymore. I was looking for them earlier in the season to get a pair for my daughter, but the supply was dwindled and now I don't see them anymore.

12 oz. ..... hmmmmm.... I may consider dropping them.

Moose2001
09-18-2010, 14:50
I think I read some of your other posts about hiking the JMT. If this question is about the JMT, your best bet is to just ford the streams in your boots. You'll be doing a lot of fording. Your boots give you the best footing, they dry quickly and it's just a lot less hassle.

JAK
09-18-2010, 14:53
It is good reason to stop and think. My Adidas Adizeros are something like 6oz per shoe in size 12. The absorb zero water, and you can hike and run in them. They are somewhat discontinued now, but Adidas still makes similar shoes. More expensive than crocs. off brand or brand. But they are half the weight, and they are real shoes. Good as a lightweight spare, year round, or even as your primary. I even use them in winter.

JAK
09-18-2010, 15:16
A spikeless waffle cross-country runner might make an interesting lightweight camp-shoe and stream-crosser. Not sure how many miles you would get out of them as you primary hiker, but very lightweight as a spare set of wheels, and about half the price of most trail runners also.

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-MXC.html?SHOW=NOBRAND&ctype=comp

sbhikes
09-22-2010, 14:27
It does feel like off-brand crocs are lighter. I think they are a good item to bring. You may decide that it's easier to walk through water crossings with your hiking shoes on, and if so, you might enjoy having the crocs around camp in the evening. You can also hike in the crocs if you need to. Just put your insoles in for added rock protection and support.

Other lightweight options won't have the same protection from rocks plus good stability walking in water and at the same time be as light. But you could look into other kinds of cheap sandals and shoes. Try your local drug store.

mad4scrapping
09-22-2010, 14:58
I bought mine from CVS 10 dollars and they weigh 7.3 oz for the pair. Hot pink too-- my favorite color:sun

johnnybgood
09-22-2010, 16:22
Mine are super lightweight ...mere ozs. and were all of $3 at Goodwill.

Llama Legs
09-22-2010, 16:49
men's size 9/10, 304 grams for the pair