PDA

View Full Version : Here we go...

10-K
09-18-2010, 16:32
I'm in Myrtle Beach.. I mean Gatlinburg... getting ready to start the MST trail in the morning. My wife and I set a goal of hiking this trail together and finishing it within 5 years.

Spent the day taking a compass / topomap class and enjoyed that too. I learn so much better in a classroom setting than trying to teach myself from a book. I think I know enough now to try some first grade bushwhacking in Cherokee Natl' Forest when I get back home.

brotheral
09-18-2010, 17:28
Has anyone stopped at The Park Grill ?? I looked at their menu & I'm wondering how their steaks and prime rib are ?? Also the White chocolate / macadamia nut cheesecake for 8.95 ??

btfire
09-18-2010, 17:33
I wish Myrtle Beach had mountains as we have all the tacky things from Gatlinburg.

10-K
09-18-2010, 17:35
I wish Myrtle Beach had mountains as we have all the tacky things from Gatlinburg.

Hehe.. sorry, I wasn't dissing Myrtle Beach. I lived in Wilmington, NC for 25 years and know MB pretty good.

But really, Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach are really a lot alike - just in different settings.

Well.. if you include Pigeon Forge especially.

johnnybgood
09-18-2010, 18:24
But really, Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach are really a lot alike - just in different settings. .
Yeah... they both have more than their share of AYCE restaurants.

10-K
09-21-2010, 07:54
Well, we got home yesterday afternoon after hiking the GSMNP piece of the Mountains to Sea trail. I must say it was a nice hike. We didn't pass another hiker the entire trip.

The MST trail junctions are marked throughout the park so followinig the trail was pretty easy. As for the trail, the entire section is in excellent shape and I would rate this 27 mile section a 2 on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being difficult. The hardest climb was probably from the Clingman's Dome parking lot to the AT where the MST starts. Shortly after the summit of Mt. Collins, the next 9 miles roll gently downhill. Miles 13-19 are mostly uphill but not steep enough to slow down our normal pace. Miles 20-25 are again an easy downhill and miles 26-27 are flat.

There are plenty of campsites along the trail and water is everywhere - I think the longest stretch we hiked without a strong flowing water source was about 5 miles.

I think this would be an excellent first overnight backpacking hike for a new hiker to experience. As I learned here, you can park a car at both ends if you're hiking with someone or you can easily hitch back to your car when you finish. There are numerous shuttle services available in the area too. We stayed at The Gran Prix hotel in Gatlinburg - a 2 star hotel at best - but the people were nice and they followed us to the visitor's center where we left our cars and then took us to Clingman's Dome. We then hiked to Oconoluftee visitor's center and were able to hitch back to our car in 1.5 hours. Pretty good I'd say.

The next 2 sections of the MST are roadwalks up the Blue Ridge Parkway - I'm not sure how much we'll like that.

Smoky Scout
09-21-2010, 17:50
I recommend hiking the proposed alternate further through the Smokies so that you bypass the tunnels on the Parkway. The route adds miles, but they are on great trails rather than what I consider a dangerous section of road, and it passes through the Cataloochee area, which is a beautiful part of the Smokies.

10-K
09-21-2010, 18:26
I recommend hiking the proposed alternate further through the Smokies so that you bypass the tunnels on the Parkway. The route adds miles, but they are on great trails rather than what I consider a dangerous section of road, and it passes through the Cataloochee area, which is a beautiful part of the Smokies.

What is the alternate route?

Taba
09-21-2010, 20:36
I didn't see the Blue Ridge Parkway as a dangerous walk. I did shift to the safer and more visible sides of the road when needed. Sometimes carried a headlight through the tunnels for better visibility. I thought the tunnels added a cool feature to the aadventure. The views you get from walking the pakway are so much better than the views you get from cars at 45 mph. You get to stop and enjoy every view. You also meet very cool people at the overlooks and are sometimes invited to picnics. The social encounters on the MST are a very important part of the journey. You may hike the alternate route if you choose, this is just my opinion.

10-K
09-21-2010, 21:13
What is the alternate route?

Smoky Scout
09-22-2010, 16:46
The alternate route only cuts off about 13 miles of the Parkway so there are still plenty of miles on it and I agree that it can be enjoyable to walk, lingering at overlooks and enjoying the long views in slow motion. I just don't go for those tunnels.

(Get out your Smokies map) Basically the alternative is continuing to follow the Benton MacKaye route from Newton Bald all the way to the Mt Sterling Ridge Trail, then turning right onto Pretty Hollow Gap Trail down into Cataloochee Valley, then following the one-mile gravel road right to Rough Fork Trail, which ascends to Heintooga Ridge Road. Then Heintooga goes to the BRP. There are many camping options along this route and a great extended tour of the Smokies. The Park Service is reviewing this alternative and it may not even be approved in our lifetime, but the road walking is not official either, so...

Walessp
10-09-2010, 05:17
!)-K

I'm an occasional MST hiker over the past few years. If you need any assistance or a shuttle in the Greensboro area, give me a call at 757-817-1472.

Outlaw

(walessp)

Tipi Walter
10-09-2010, 07:57
Is the Blue Ridge Parkway filled with the hateful noise pollution of the screaming motorcycles like on the roads around the Citico and Slickrock wilderness areas? I hope it's not as bad.

Walessp
10-09-2010, 10:01
It can be at times, but it's not very frequently, at least in my experience.

babbage
10-11-2010, 20:42
You got it backwards. Gatlinscab was not so bad until about the mid 90's -- whereas Spurtle Beach has not changed much since the early 80's. Of course, now the only difference is sand and granite.

Find a beautiful place and turn it into an outdoor mall for cheap trinkets and nasty tourist food - its the American Way.

Spokes
10-12-2010, 06:58
But really, Gatlinburg and Myrtle Beach are really a lot alike - just in different settings.

hehehehehe....... Too funny!

Gatlinburg is what I'd call mountain tacky- They sell Hermit Crabs there!!!!

mweinstone
10-12-2010, 07:18
what a weird opinion and comments here. no offence but the tunnels are as safe and fun and cool as anything. and everyone beeps going thru. so theirs no being supprised by traffic or hit. none. at all . ever. case closed. the tunnels are a highlight to each and every hiker doing the roadwalking . i love the blue rigde parkway and skyline drives with all my heart. appelorchard mountain cannot be appreciated from anywhere but the road in my opinion. motorbikes are fun to watch go by. no matter how many. and georgia has way more at neel gap. and their even more fun their to watch and hear. i have allways maintained the freedoms shared by bikers and hikers is so simular, we are in fact bros from other mos. and as far as the walk from clinggys lot to the AT,....yeah its slightly steep but its fun, their is a log down great for sitting and being alone with a cup of coffie just to your left 50 feet into the woods at the junction. its a lost trail that goes on about 25 feet further then pitters out cause folks relize its a spur lost trail and so they drop and poop and then its all marked up and defenatly not the right way. but back where it first seperates from the parking lot road to the AT , if you walk just out of sight of folks comming up the lot road/path,.. to this downned log,...you sit at a place wher you can see everyone comming three ways and none of them see you but they all smell your coffie and wonder. its fun to sit their.

Blue Jay
10-12-2010, 09:00
i love the blue rigde parkway and skyline drives with all my heart. appelorchard mountain cannot be appreciated from anywhere but the road in my opinion. motorbikes are fun to watch go by. no matter how many. and georgia has way more at neel gap. and their even more fun their to watch and hear. i have allways maintained the freedoms shared by bikers and hikers is so simular, we are in fact bros from other mos. and as far as the walk from clinggys lot to the AT,....yeah its slightly steep but its fun, their is a log down great for sitting and being alone with a cup of coffie just to your left 50 feet into the woods at the junction.

I've always loved your posts and recently they've been great, like this one. Hikers and bikers ARE exactly the same, which is exaclty why we both adore the Blue Ridge Parkway. Unfortunately both groups are plagued by wannabes.

Tennessee Viking
10-12-2010, 09:37
I didn't see the Blue Ridge Parkway as a dangerous walk. I did shift to the safer and more visible sides of the road when needed. Sometimes carried a headlight through the tunnels for better visibility. I thought the tunnels added a cool feature to the aadventure. The views you get from walking the pakway are so much better than the views you get from cars at 45 mph. You get to stop and enjoy every view. You also meet very cool people at the overlooks and are sometimes invited to picnics. The social encounters on the MST are a very important part of the journey. You may hike the alternate route if you choose, this is just my opinion.
Isn't there a couple side roads (BIA 407/Bunches Creek) that may be considered an alternate route. Looks to have some campgrounds along it.