PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Campers Advice

tucker0104
09-18-2010, 19:20
I have never even considered becoming a hammock camper until reading about it some more recently. I always laughed at people who did it. Is there anyway it can be a four season way to camp? Are they comfortable? I have been thinking about buying one from REI that way if I don't like it then I can just return it. Does anyone recommend a certain kind or certain brand?

tucker0104
09-18-2010, 19:20
One more question, I hike with my dog, is there room enough in there for a dog?

kayak karl
09-18-2010, 19:32
without going into detail. YES + YES

Dancer
09-18-2010, 20:28
without going into detail. YES + YESAgreed. See Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net) for more. HF is the resource for all things hammocking.

johnnybgood
09-18-2010, 20:30
Buy the ENO doublenest at REI -- great starter hammock with extra room.

Hooch
09-18-2010, 20:33
Tucker, I'm in Charlotte, too and have 3 different hammocks that you're welcome to try some time. I have a Speer IIIa, an Eagles Nest Outfitters DoubleNest and a Warbonnet 1.7 Double Layer. Give me a shout some time, you're more than welcome to give them a test hang at a local park somewhere and I'll be glad to talk about the pros and cons of hammocking with you. In the mean time, definitely check out Hammock Forums (http://www.hammockforums.net). We're definitely your one stop resource for about anything hammock related.

kayak karl
09-18-2010, 20:45
pros and CONS of hammocking, ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

johnnybgood
09-18-2010, 20:52
you're welcome to try some time. a Warbonnet 1.7 Double Layer. Give me a shout some time
Hey Hooch . Is this an open invitation for anyone ?

Roughin' It
09-18-2010, 21:55
I'm not sure about the dog though....

kayak karl
09-19-2010, 07:18
I'm not sure about the dog though....
depends on size of hammock and/or size of dog. my dog sleeps under hammock on a poncho quilt tied up on sides to stop wind. when she was under 40# she slept in hammock.

C Seeker
09-19-2010, 08:14
I personally have been using the eno double nest hammock. It is a four season shelter, but durning the winter time make sure you have a high rating sleeping pad under you. The reason behind this is because the hammock fabric is breathable and will have you freezing cold on your back.

Hammocks are extreamly comfortable, you can sleep multiple ways, which allows you to sleep using your sleeping style. Only thing I do say is don't judge it on its first try, most people normaly make the hammock to loose the first time so you have a huge arch. You would have to play with it to see how tight you want the hammock.

As for the dog, I personally wouldn't want to sleep with my dog in the hammock as the arch in the hammock will have the dog crushing you head on feet when he slides in towards the middle, it may work if he lays besides you. The one thing I read is having the dog carry a blanket and a leash and hook the leash to the slap strap or rope. so the dog can sleep under the hammock.

Hope this helped, happy hiking

tucker0104
09-19-2010, 18:25
It did, thanks. I have purchased him a 9 dollar sleeping bag from walmart and cut it down to his size. He is about 45 pounds.

ky chris
09-20-2010, 10:47
I went with a full Warbonnet blackbird hammock setup. I loved the idea of hammocking, being off the ground and having a nice comfortable seat. I tried it all last year before giving up. My back just wouldn't let me sleep in the hammock. I bought a Tarptent Moment this year and have slept great on the ground.

I know I'm probably in the minority but you might want to borrow one before you make the investment. Overall, if you go with an underquilt, you'll spend more and carry a little more weight. I saved about a pound.

daddytwosticks
09-20-2010, 16:09
Tried a cheapie Byer Mosquito hammock years ago...hated it. Recently bought a Warbonnet Blackbird double layer and their Yeti quilt. I've only slept in it twice but am becoming a convert to hammocking. Think I'll still go to ground when it gets below freezing. Remember, different tools for different jobs. :)

Tinker
09-20-2010, 16:53
Here's how I hang:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38616&catid=member&imageuser=2502

johnnybgood
09-20-2010, 17:32
I definitely want to try a Warbonnet Blackbird hammock . My eno double nest is comfy but now is the time to take off the training wheels and get a serious hammock.

Hooch
09-20-2010, 19:44
Hey Hooch . Is this an open invitation for anyone ?Yup. Let me know when and where.

bmwsmity
09-20-2010, 20:45
I use a Hennessey Ultralight...

I've used it down to 20 degrees in the snow with lots of wind and stayed warm... this was with a 15degree down bag, windshield sun deflector, and cheap blue walmart sleeping pad... my winter setup basically cost $12... I also slept with a Cap 3 baselayer, t-shirt, pants, socks, fleece hat, and draped my shell over my bag.. this was also with the tiny ultralight rainfly that covers just the bug net (wind can cross under the hammock).

Sleeping is super-comfy, no aching back in the morning... and my hammock weighs 1lb, 15oz... it never touches the ground so backing it back into my bag is dirt and debris-free :)

The downside is, hammocks with smaller rainflys do not provide much shelter for your gear... I do have the larger rain fly that weighs a pound more, and touches all the way to the ground on each side of the hammock, which provides somewhere to put my gear and prevents wind from chilling me underneath.

I'm not sure about the other hammocks, but there's no way I'd want a dog in my hammock with me... much too cramped... its tough enough to keep gear in there with me that I want to stay warm (boots, clothes).

To me, hammocks are the way to go...unless you're camping in the desert with no trees ;)

Hope this helps

restless
09-20-2010, 20:50
I've been using an ENO doublenest for 3 years and love it. Light enough to carry on dayhikes and overnights. No back aches either:sun

C Seeker
09-20-2010, 21:13
I've also been using my ENO doublenest hammock for 2 or 3 years. Slept in it with one other person a few times, if you don't mind touching each other all night then it's not bad. Having you gear under your hammock durning a rain storm doesnt always turn out great sometimes. I learned to hook the BP up on the carabeaner connceting the hammock to the slap strap, so the BP hangs also.

rip waverly
11-23-2010, 18:46
i just converted. hammock forums as mentioned has been a wealth of knowledge

CinciJP
11-27-2010, 14:53
I learned to hook the BP up on the carabeaner connceting the hammock to the slap strap, so the BP hangs also.

Good idea. :)

tuswm
11-28-2010, 23:47
i just spent my first cold night camping. I have a single nest. I used a z rest and a mormot 0* bag, a thin down jacket and a hat. I used my bag more like a quilt. I was still cold under me. It was only 30-35. I would have been fine in a tent with a 20* bag. hints? I wasnt miserable but I was not warm and cozy.

Raul Perez
11-29-2010, 00:12
Ever since I converted to an under quilt I've been just fine with the colder weather. Recently spent a 27*F night in a 3 season Yeti from warbonnetoutdoors.net and I've gotten down to 3*F in the winter version.

english
12-01-2010, 00:23
http://www.rei.com/product/798715

I just bought this from REI - outlet, an outer bag for my 20' F sleeping bag. I also have a Thermarest and hoping the Razor (at 26 oz) will work instead of carrying a heavy & expensive UQ

MedicineMan
12-01-2010, 00:50
10 years now hammocking.
It really insn't for everyone, try before you buy.
Odds are 70% that it will work for you, based on the number
of conversions I've had over the years.
Usually the first selling point is the fact that if you have two trees you have
a lazy boy recliner with you.
The only down side from a backpacking standpoint is that the torso pad/tarp top quilt the ultralightweight thru's use is still lighter.
Chances are someone is close by that can let you sample before you plunge.

bronconite
12-01-2010, 08:15
I bought a Claytor Jungle Hammock last year and am happy with it. I've been into the low 40s with a Military CCF pad and a sheet of reflectix under me and a cheap Trekker 0 degree bag on top and was fine.

Definitly check out hammock forums. If you watch the for sale section you'll find sellers aren't losing much money for lightly used hammocks, especially the Blackbirds. Also, to see cold weather camping, find HF user Shug's youtube video on the subject. I believe in one they go below 0.

I chose the Claytor because it's very well built and comes with a fly for $150 shipped. It has a bug net and a pad sleeve and is a basic setup. It would also sell quickly on HF if it needed to be unloaded.
http://www.mosquitohammock.com/

Here is a pic of it set up with my nephews.

Hooch
12-01-2010, 08:27
i just spent my first cold night camping. I have a single nest. I used a z rest and a mormot 0* bag, a thin down jacket and a hat. I used my bag more like a quilt. I was still cold under me. It was only 30-35. I would have been fine in a tent with a 20* bag. hints? I wasnt miserable but I was not warm and cozy.You need more bottom side insulation. Around freezing, a Z-Rest really isn't enough. Also, I would have gone ahead and gotten in the sleeping bag instead of using it as a quilt if you were cold.

Migrating Bird
12-01-2010, 21:29
10 years now hammocking.
It really insn't for everyone, try before you buy.
Odds are 70% that it will work for you, based on the number
of conversions I've had over the years.
Usually the first selling point is the fact that if you have two trees you have
a lazy boy recliner with you.
The only down side from a backpacking standpoint is that the torso pad/tarp top quilt the ultralightweight thru's use is still lighter.
Chances are someone is close by that can let you sample before you plunge.

I might be a MedicineMan convert since we met last May and he loaned me one of his set ups to try out & use. Another clue, my lighter wallet :). Not going back to ground if I can help it. "Try before you buy" - great advice.

kayak karl
12-02-2010, 10:23
next weekend there is a hang in the pa/nj area http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25118 any one interested i'll bring a full extra setup. most hammock people are nice (Hooch screws up the curve:D), but its car camping, so you can drop to the ground if needed.:)

WILLIAM HAYES
12-05-2010, 20:02
Hammock hanging has made a huge difference in how comfortable I Sleep. I have been using a hammock for years and would not go back to using a tent except in very rare circumstances -check out hammock forums for detailed information -all the folks there are great sources of information
Hillbilly

Crash
12-05-2010, 22:36
pros and CONS of hammocking, ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????

All pros and no cons. Its just a different way of camping!

Speer Carrier
12-05-2010, 22:48
This won't probably work in really cold weather, but it has worked for me in temperatures down to about 25 degrees. I carry those chemical hand warmers you can buy at any hardware store. I only use my 20 degree bag with no under quilt. I activate two hand warmers and put one against my back and one on my chest. It has kept my torso warm enough to be comfortable. My head, arms, and legs have never been a cold issue.

ShaneP
12-08-2010, 23:57
I started in an ENO singlenest and had gone to the enclosed Hennesy style Hammocks, a doublenest, and am now back in the single nest. I really prefer the top loader because I found the enclosed hammock a pain to get in and out of, I get claustrophobic in the enclosed styles, and basically, one of the things I liked most of all about hammocking at first was the exposure to the open air. I had been doing a lot of tarp camping before getting into a hammock, and the progression was like tarping a little off of the ground; a lot more comfortable. I'm back to the singlenest ENO, because I can lay flatter diagonally in it better in it than the double. The double is deeper and I think forces you to sleep more along the center axis.

With an underquilt, and a large hex tarp I've been able to tolerate some pretty nasty weather, both cold and wet. Actually, I've never had wet problems in the hammock setup. Never been cold since I got the underquilt.

Don't equate a simple hammock with starter hammock. It's just a different kind, the one I prefer.

S

Tom Murphy
12-09-2010, 00:02
i just spent my first cold night camping. I have a single nest. I used a z rest and a mormot 0* bag, a thin down jacket and a hat. I used my bag more like a quilt. I was still cold under me. It was only 30-35. I would have been fine in a tent with a 20* bag. hints? I wasnt miserable but I was not warm and cozy.

You might consider purchasing an underquilt

4eyedbuzzard
12-09-2010, 00:42
I'm just getting into trying this hammocking thing out. I've been a ground dweller for all my life so this is a big step. I'm in the testing stages. The hammock is set up on a big 600 lb rated hammock stand in my basement (moved inside for the winter) - how's that for wimp factor. I'm going to first hang in the basement tomorrow night as expected temps are 0 with 10 mph winds and snow showers, and I want to see how comfortable the sucker is and not deal with insulation / cold / snow issues the first time I try it. Fri and Sat lows are only in the 20's so if all goes well I may give it a whirl outside.

It hangs kinda low once I'm in it as the stand eyes aren't as high as I've seen in instruction videos using the treehuggers - but I don't bottom out. It's about as tight as I can get it, and I'd say it sags about a foot when I get in. Is that about right?

The hammock is a Hennessy Hyperlight with the stock issue fly and Supershelter foam under pad set up. I've got a few lightweight down sleeping bags that i'm thinking could work at least temporarily as quilts, so I'm also thinking of putting one in between the under cover and the hammock as a bottom quilt and using the other as a top quilt. As long as the bottom bag doesn't squash, I'm thinking it will be warmer than the pretty thin foam pad Hennessy supplies. I've also got a space blanket, which seems to be recommended by many as the first layer beneath the hammock itself. Also have a few pads lying about - a ridgerest, a blue Wallyworld pad, an old 3/4 thermarest, and a Neoair that could be used. Comments on all this? Tips / opinions on underquilts and/or pad? So many differing opinions on hammocks out there - it's almost as bad as a gear thread on WB. :eek: :D

I'm a little confused still as to the tarp and guy out lines. The tarp corners right now kind of coincide with the asymmetric tie outs on the hammock - I'm assuming this is right? :confused: The lines on both the hammock and fly are all elastic. Is this right?:confused: How tight should I stretch them?:confused: I've heard some replace the elastic with braided line and then just use a shorter loop of elastic at the stake points to provide some give. Any advice?

And, oh yeah, I signed up at hammock forums a while back.

Thanks all. Please add anything else that you think might help. :)

WILLIAM HAYES
12-09-2010, 20:24
go to hammock forums.com you can get great info there i use a warbird hammock with jacks r better under and overquilts a McCat tarp with whoopies (you will learn about them on hammock forums) easy set up -once you hammock you will love the comfort