PDA

View Full Version : Need a recommendation

stranger
09-19-2010, 02:54
Looking for a trail in the southern part of the US that's around 60-80 miles, any recommendations appreciated! We want to go south cause my partner hates the cold, thanks in advance!

10-K
09-19-2010, 06:35
Looking for a trail in the southern part of the US that's around 60-80 miles, any recommendations appreciated! We want to go south cause my partner hates the cold, thanks in advance!

Check out the Foothills Trail in SC. 75 miles of well maintained trail.

stranger
09-19-2010, 17:39
It looks pretty sweet, what can people tell me about the Foothills Trail?

Cheers

aship
09-20-2010, 09:31
Another option would be the Pinhoti Trail that runs through Alabama and Gerorgia. A total of 335 miles before it connects with the Benton MacKaye Trail a mile post 70. There are 171 mile of trail in AL and 161 miles in GA. This is from their site pinhotitrailalliance.org. Depending on which section you hike there is some road walking involved. I've been wanting to hit the AL section for a while bit just haven't made it yet.

Another option would be the Benton Mackaye Trail. It runs through Ga, TN, and NC. I've been wanting to hit this trail as well since it runs by my house basically but have only walked a couple sections of it.

I wish I could recommend the Cumberland Trail to you but so far there are only 32 continuous miles and you would have to drive to other parts of it. I know you said you wanted max 80 miles, but I thought you might be interested in a section hike from the other two trails I mentioned. Hope this helps.
Aaron

Tennessee Viking
09-20-2010, 09:51
The AT is the obvious one.

Foothills Trail
Benton MacKaye Trail
NC Mountains-to-Sea Trail
Pinhoti (GA/AL) Trail
Cumberland Trail
Bartram Trail
Florida Trail

Hikes in Rain
09-20-2010, 12:00
It looks pretty sweet, what can people tell me about the Foothills Trail?

Cheers

That it's misnamed. Should be called the Waterfall Trail!

stranger
09-20-2010, 13:53
Waterfalls are good!

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 14:12
is the florida trail the Tamiami trail? if so why isnt it referred to by its given name. calling it the florida trail is like calling the Appalachian the East Coast trail. not quite the same ring to it

Tilly
09-20-2010, 14:54
North South Trail in Land Between the Lakes, Kentucky.

Around 60 miles, easy, and lots of fun:)

I also remember passing a sign in Tennessee for the Revolutionary War Trail. It sounds good, although I don't know much about that one.

johnnybgood
09-20-2010, 19:54
Loyalsock Trail in north-central Pennsylvania is 59 miles and at the top of my list .

Backpacker Mag just did an article on this trail.

rcli4
09-20-2010, 20:03
is the florida trail the Tamiami trail? if so why isnt it referred to by its given name. calling it the florida trail is like calling the Appalachian the East Coast trail. not quite the same ring to it

No it is not