PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one to hear Monson voices?

wormer
09-19-2010, 07:53
My mother and I were hiking South of Blanchard when we heard several voices coming up behind us. We slowed and prepared to let them pass, but they never appeared. A couple of weeks later just North of Bald Mt. Stream I heard a womens voice ahead of me on the trail, but didn't catch up to her. I met a hiker 30 minutes later traveling hiking towards me that hadn't seen anybody else on that section of the AT except me.

Slo-go'en
09-19-2010, 10:22
If this happened recently, what you probably heard was Canadian Geese. They can sound a lot like indistinct voices carried on the wind.

Kerosene
09-19-2010, 13:06
I've found that voices carry a remarkably long way on calm, foggy days in the mountains.

I've also found that I sometimes hear voices in babbling brook. I camped at Matt Creek Shelter, just south of the James River by myself, and I could've sworn there were a number of people just down the trail who would roll in soon for dinner. I finally had to put my earplugs in so I could get to sleep!

Luddite
09-19-2010, 13:12
I've found that voices carry a remarkably long way on calm, foggy days in the mountains.

Thats true. I used to live in Northern Georgia in a house on the side of a mountain. Down the hill about a half mile away were a couple of meth heads and I could always hear them talk like they were 10 feet away.

Or they could of been ghost hikers.

Toolshed
09-19-2010, 14:46
...I've also found that I sometimes hear voices in babbling brook. ...

That was my first thought too. I remember one hazy September afternoon I took a nap at one of the Cold River Lean-to's in the Adirondacks and I lay there in half-snooze half-awake mode wondering why all those people were down by the river. I could almost make out words. Then I realized it was the babbling...

Old Grouse
09-19-2010, 16:37
Yep, sounds move uphill, and they also get trapped by a cloud layer. There's a train line a mile away from me down hill. On overcast days the whistle's much louder.

Shutterbug
09-19-2010, 16:45
My mother and I were hiking South of Blanchard when we heard several voices coming up behind us. We slowed and prepared to let them pass, but they never appeared. A couple of weeks later just North of Bald Mt. Stream I heard a womens voice ahead of me on the trail, but didn't catch up to her. I met a hiker 30 minutes later traveling hiking towards me that hadn't seen anybody else on that section of the AT except me.

Last week, I was hiking in the Eagle Cap Wilderness of Oregon. I was sure I heard human voices of someone coming up the trail. They never arrived and when I checked for prints on the trail, there were none. I have no idea what it was that I heard.

Jonnycat
09-19-2010, 16:48
I've heard voices when it's foggy and the wind is blowing. More like whispers, really, it's kind of a cool effect.

I heard them here last year:

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/8848/foggysection.jpg

Odd Man Out
09-19-2010, 17:31
I had this experience when I was a Boy Scout. I heard some voices like they were right next to me, but no one was there. Eventually I saw the people who were talking but they were very far away through the trees (maybe 100 yards?). There wasn't any odd weather. I attributed it to the terrain. The hill in the area was a big bowl shape, like a natural amphitheater. But who knows for sure.

Pedaling Fool
10-03-2010, 18:58
http://paranormal.about.com/od/hauntedplaces/a/tales_09_07_06t.htm

Phantom on the Appalachian Trail

BY FENU

By Stephen Wagner (http://paranormal.about.com/bio/Stephen-Wagner-3374.htm), About.com Guide

In May of 1972, I was hiking on the Appalachian Trail in Virginia. On a beautiful, cool, early Sunday morning, I was moving quite rapidly, enjoying the perfect walking weather. Back then, the Trail followed many more old farm roads and abandoned rights-of-way than it currently does, and at this point I was walking along a very old road, with a split rail fence on my left and an open field on my right, bordered on its far side by another rail fence. There was about 4-6 inches of ground fog on an otherwise cool and perfect morn.

I suddenly noticed a person walking with his back to me, in the field, close to the far fence, with a dark-colored, long coat and dark, wide-brimmed hat. This person was walking about 30 yards to the right, and about 20-30 yards ahead of me, and was moving rather slowly, looking at the ground, as if searching for some lost item.

I was moving at a good clip, and as I gained ground, the person slowly picked up speed while making a left turn, which eventually brought him on an intersecting line to where I was headed. As he came closer, now facing me, I could see that he was an older Caucasian man with a white beard and was heading right for me while still looking at the ground.

I altered my pace so as not to collide, and when he was right near, he looked up, right into my eyes, with these weird, cloudy blue eyes of his. I had an instant feeling of dread, with a vision of a knife flashing through my mind as I noticed all in one quick glance that his hat, boots (no fog on the road-path), coat, hat and shirt were all of another era. He basically looked like a 19th-century photo come to life. The other thought that flashed through my mind was that he must be an Amish man out for a Sunday morning stroll, since I knew that they still make all of their own garb.

He came so close that I had to stop as he passed to avoid colliding with him. I said, "Nice morning, isn't it?", but he offered not a word, just that scary, piercing gaze. I felt very uneasy as he passed, what with the vision of the knife passing through my mind's eye.

I turned around as he passed behind me -- and he was gone! There is no way he could have just disappeared if he were a real person, as the woods were 50-60 yards away along the fence-lined path, and no human could have covered that distance in the 1-2 seconds it took me to turn around as he passed. I made record time to the next road-crossing, and out of that stretch of woods.

johnnybgood
10-03-2010, 20:32
I've heard this story recounted somewhere before . Foggy conditions on the AT are creepy enough , especially when meeting a shrouded object coming ever so closely down the trail towards you.

Terrain and wind currents often play tricks on our minds along with geese and other fowl flying overhead.

Jester2000
10-03-2010, 23:14
If you ever hear the voices saying, "send Jester money . . . send Jester money," you should probably heed them.

camojack
10-04-2010, 01:09
The voices I hear tell me to do bad things. :eek:

I just ignore them...most of the time. :rolleyes:

Just a Hiker
10-05-2010, 05:52
For what it's worth......old man Shaw used to speak of ghosts on the trail near the Shirley-Blanchard Road. Atleast that's what he told the hikers who stayed with the Pie Lady......LOL!!

Blue Jay
10-05-2010, 12:37
The voices I hear tell me to do bad things. :eek:

:rolleyes:

Sending Jester money (unless you're ordering his movie) IS a bad thing.

Blue Jay
10-05-2010, 12:39
If you do not like hearing voices in the Woods do NOT hike in the Catskills.

sevensixtwo187
10-05-2010, 16:53
If you do not like hearing voices in the Woods do NOT hike in the Catskills.

Tell us a story please ... :banana