PDA

View Full Version : Gossamer Gear Gorilla

Praha4
09-19-2010, 21:32
while reviewing U/L packs, both frameless and internal frame, I've looked at MLD, ULA and GG packs... I really like the new MLD Exodus, but it is frameless, and I think it's best not to load a frameless pack over 20 lbs.

so far I'm considering the Gossamer Gear Gorilla as my new pack, all the reviews are favorable that I've seen. My max total pack weight is usually 23-27 lbs with food and H2O.

anyone here have experience with this pack and care to offer any comments, pro or con?

skinewmexico
09-19-2010, 22:19
I like mine a lot. Even works as a big day pack. It's best under 25, never loaded it over that.

The guys at GG are great to work with.

RWK
09-19-2010, 22:23
I have the Mariposa plus which is pretty similar to the Gorilla and have been very happy with it. My pack weight with food and H2O is 27 lbs and it has carried very comfortably.

sbhikes
09-19-2010, 23:29
I have not tried the Gorilla but my friend has one. It looks really great. The only thing you could possibly have difficulty with is the wide shoulder straps. I have a G4 and thought the straps were too wide. I cut the foam until they fit right. I'm sure the same can be done with the foam in the Gorilla's straps.

SouthMark
09-20-2010, 09:22
I have not tried the Gorilla but my friend has one. It looks really great. The only thing you could possibly have difficulty with is the wide shoulder straps. I have a G4 and thought the straps were too wide. I cut the foam until they fit right. I'm sure the same can be done with the foam in the Gorilla's straps.

I removed the foam in the straps of my Mariposa Plus and stuffed them with my sleeping socks as shown on GG's web site. Works great. Rounds out the straps and actually makes them narrower. More comfortable than the foam. I just received the Gorilla and have not used it as of yet but I think I will like it better than my Mariposa Plus. I like the fact that it is narrower.

skinewmexico
09-20-2010, 09:57
You can also use a piece of that soft foam pipe insulation to make the shoulder straps thinner and thicker. I had heard somewhere that GG was coming out with a version of thinner straps anyway.

Big Dawg
09-20-2010, 09:58
Love my Gorilla. The wide shoulder straps are fine w/ me,,, helps distribute the weight better, IMHO. I've loaded it up w/ 30 #'s & it carried great on a 28 mile trip. I'm completely pleased w/ this pack!!!

Praha4
09-20-2010, 23:18
thanks for the comments... which pad did you all prefer to use with the Gorilla or Mariposa Plus? the one provided by GG or did any of you try using a Z lite pad in the pack?

my new Gorilla will be here this week, and I'm ready to try it out

skinewmexico
09-21-2010, 10:10
I just used the provided pad, and I leave it in. I can't sleep without my POE Ether Thermo 6.

RWK
09-21-2010, 15:43
I leave in the pad it comes with, a 3/4 length Z lite doesn't work for me, and carry a thermarest prolite full length for my old bones.

Big Dawg
09-22-2010, 09:22
I just used the provided pad, and I leave it in.

ditto..........