PDA

View Full Version : Hikers carrying guns

triumphtriple
09-20-2010, 00:30
I was curious what how everyone felt about hikers carrying handguns for protection. Of course I mean where it is legal. It could be open carry (exposed but holstered pistol) or concealed carry. I was just wondering if anyone does this. I wonder how some of you would protect yourselves from the extremely rare event of a wild dog, bear or nutty hiker.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 00:35
go to the forum subsection called "health, hygiene, and safety" and search the word "gun". this topics been covered from both opinions and all matter inbetween in a thread there called guns on the trail i believe

tucker0104
09-20-2010, 00:36
I carry a pistol. I was hiking in the smokies and set up tent and was about to fall asleep when I heard a guy come into camp talking and set up right next to me. I found out in the morning that he was talking to himself all night. That is when I decided to start carrying a gun.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 00:50
i wouldnt carry or even own a gun. i dont want to live in fear. if a crazed hiker kills me while im on the trail, at least ill die doing something i loved. after an uncle of mine got 15 years in prison for shooting and killing a robber in his backyard (jury said he wasnt in imminent danger), i made two rules. 1. never pull a gun unless youre going to use it.. 2. never use a gun
this threads gonna open the same can of worms this topic always does which is why i suggest the thread search. personally if i see a hiker carrying a gun, im avoiding them and not trusting them. they could be one of those idiots were trying to avoid in the first place

SMSP
09-20-2010, 00:57
Another gun discussion, yeah!

Your gonna find a lot of different opinions.

My opinion is like the American Express commercial, "Don't leave home without."

or

Like insurance, "It's nice to have if needed, but hope it's never needed."

It's a huge weight consideration, but worth it to me.

As far as the use of lethal force, I will use whatever minimum amout of force that is necessary to stop a threat. That force, not nexessarily lethal, could be vocal, could be a hiking pole, could be bear spray, could be a tree branch, could be a whistle, could be a backpack, could be a knife, could be a rock, could be a handful of dirt, could be a handgun, could be a hiking boot, could be a tent stake, could be finger nails, could be water, etc... This boils down to a Use of Force Continuum that law enforcement are trained to practice.

Meeting me on the trail and one would never even know that I am carrying because it would be concealed. If I have to use a handgun for any reason, it would be done because my life or another human's life is in grave danger from some entity.

I encourage folks that do carry, to be proficient with your hadgun. I train monthly in local handgun matches, 3 gun competitions and visit the range that I am a member of severl times a year. If a person goes and buys a handgun, goes and shots it once or twice and then that handgun remains on the top shelf of their closet for months/years until one day they decide to take it with them hiking/backpacking, then I would say that person is irresponsible and in my opinion made a poor choice. Trainng with your handgun is like training with your other gear.

Do people just buy a tent and never practice with it before going on the trail?
Basically, one should be proficient with all their gear as I am sure most are.

SMSP

tucker0104
09-20-2010, 00:57
I wouldn't pull my gun out unless I was going to use it. No one would ever know I had one. I wouldn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. As far as having a gun and living in fear. I really don't get that comment. You act like because I decide to carry a gun I am sweating bullets about being outdoors and the thought of something attacking me.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 01:04
no no i didnt mean to imply gun toters live in fear whatsoever. my father was a police officer so he carried his piece everywhere he went. i was only speaking for myself, that i choose not to bother my mind with protection, thats all

stranger
09-20-2010, 01:10
My father was a police officer in New York for 34 years, he worked in a bad area with lots of crime...34 years.

He drew his gun ONCE is 34 years, he never fired it...

But hikers need guns? Sorry man, but if you carry something around me that has one purpose, and one purpose only...to kill, then me and you are going to have some problems.

I threw a friend of mine's loaded 38 into a swamp right in front of him, he didn't bring a gun hiking again after that.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 01:14
im mainly anti gun because a childhood friend shot himself in the mouth while i was there trying to talk him down. more power to anyone who chooses to carry one but the very site of a handgun makes me sick to my stomach

tucker0104
09-20-2010, 01:16
That is understandable.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 01:21
i warned him he opened a can of worms lol. its civil now, but just give this thread a day or two..

Bucherm
09-20-2010, 01:22
I wouldn't pull my gun out unless I was going to use it. No one would ever know I had one. I wouldn't want to make anyone feel uncomfortable. As far as having a gun and living in fear. I really don't get that comment. You act like because I decide to carry a gun I am sweating bullets about being outdoors and the thought of something attacking me.

So your gun would be easily accessable enough that you could have it out to stop the bear/crazy man/imaginary thing you hear at night got you but it would be concealed enough that "no one would know you had it"?

ssuuuuuuuuuuurrrre.

tucker0104
09-20-2010, 01:29
Unless someone is crawling in my tent to sleep with me then how would they ever see in my tent at night? Lets use some common sense.

Jonnycat
09-20-2010, 02:07
http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/4256/canofworms1.jpg

Bucherm
09-20-2010, 02:20
Unless someone is crawling in my tent to sleep with me then how would they ever see in my tent at night? Lets use some common sense.

Yeah, let's.

So in summary:

(1)You keep your gun in an not very accessable location when you're wide awake. Obviously, in your mind, crazy people/bears/what have yous aren't a threat to you while you're wide awake.

(2)When you do have it in a easily accessable location, you're either (a) asleep or (b)abruptly waking up, which means that your firearm still has an extremely limited utility.

sheepdog
09-20-2010, 03:33
So your gun would be easily accessable enough that you could have it out to stop the bear/crazy man/imaginary thing you hear at night got you but it would be concealed enough that "no one would know you had it"?

ssuuuuuuuuuuurrrre.
not hard to do

Bucherm
09-20-2010, 03:48
Yeah if you had a very small one. Seeing as he's talking about "They won't be able to see into my Tent" I'm going to take a wild shot(hah) and guess it isn't a weapon that someone can easily cram into ones pockets and quickly egress from said pockets.

tucker0104
09-20-2010, 04:18
Wow, Bucherm, your reasoning is amazing, so if I wake up with my gun in my hand chances are whatever is attacking me is going to be pretty close so I don't need to be at the top of my game to shoot. From someone who has shot at someone before (me) once anything hears the shot of a bullet, they either run away or freeze.

Torch09
09-20-2010, 05:08
So, you wake up hearing agressive rustling on the outside of your tent and, in your drowsy stupor, grab your gun and squeeze off a round at the apparent danger. Oops! That wasn't a bear, it was a distressed hiker looking for help after she was (injured in a night hiking accident/ attacked by a bear/ attacked by a real crazy person/ lost in the woods for a week/ ... pick your favorite).

My problem with guns is this-- all the apologies in the world can't take back that bullet. They are designed with the sole purpose of destruction. There is no such thing as a 'good' gun story, only bad (suicide, accidents, etc.). If people can't survive in the woods without guns, then maybe we don't belong there. Survival of the fitessed ended with the invention of the gun, and i believe that's a shame.

...that being said, I still believe that the 2nd amendment gives people the right to own firearms and that the government should NOT infringe upon that right. I just wish so many people weren't under the impression that they can't live without their trusty piece of steel.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2010, 06:09
I was curious what how everyone felt about hikers carrying handguns for protection.

i feel it's a good thing

Bucherm
09-20-2010, 06:16
Wow, Bucherm, your reasoning is amazing, so if I wake up with my gun in my hand chances are whatever is attacking me is going to be pretty close so I don't need to be at the top of my game to shoot. From someone who has shot at someone before (me) once anything hears the shot of a bullet, they either run away or freeze.

Torch09 got it.

I've been in the woods when night hikers are just going by at 0300, but it seems that you're so high strung that you keep your pistol in your hands when you sleep so you can squeeze off a round or two in case of horrible rustling near the tent? Wow.

Or "Yeah something is attacking me, but if It's close I can't miss!" Unless you've got your safety on and in the dark with your drowsy stupor your forget to take it off and fail to shoot them. Or your magical ability to maintain your bearing and shoot at stuff immediately after being awoken. I always thought that you had to provide a modicum of concentration when shooting, shows what I know! I obviously got cheated whenever I got qualled for force protection watchstanding while I was in. Ol' GMC was obviously talking out of his behind.

Turns out all I needed to do was just wake up and fumble with my 9mil in the dark!

rickb
09-20-2010, 06:26
If it were not for the fact that five thru hikers have been murdered by along the Trail, I'd have to disagree.

warraghiyagey
09-20-2010, 07:23
i threw a friend of mine's loaded 38 into a swamp right in front of him, he didn't bring a gun hiking again after that.
:):):). . . .

Don H
09-20-2010, 07:36
I threw a friend of mine's loaded 38 into a swamp right in front of him, he didn't bring a gun hiking again after that.

Of course he didn't, you threw it in the swamp!
Lucky for you he wasn't carrying a back-up :eek:

Toolshed
09-20-2010, 07:39
It seems many non-gun owners and most in the anti-gun crowd portray handgun owners as a Barney Fife character - quivering with fear and pointing their weapons at every sound in the dark, or keeping their shaking hand at the ready to draw and shoot the next dog/person/bear they see. What a load of crap.

There are plenty of folks who choose to carry and you never even realize it. There are plenty of folks who choose to carry that have hours and hours of training and experience, range time and safety time.

Of course, it's understandable that if you are never exposed to these folks, never meet actual handgun owners, never attend a training session or visit a range, then you will maintain a closed mind and continue to believe the hype

Gator, it's time to please close this thread.

Old Hiker
09-20-2010, 07:43
So, you wake up hearing agressive rustling on the outside of your tent and, in your drowsy stupor, grab your gun and squeeze off a round at the apparent danger. Oops! That wasn't a bear, it was a distressed hiker looking for help after she was (injured in a night hiking accident/ attacked by a bear/ attacked by a real crazy person/ lost in the woods for a week/ ... pick your favorite).

My problem with guns is this-- all the apologies in the world can't take back that bullet. They are designed with the sole purpose of destruction. There is no such thing as a 'good' gun story, only bad (suicide, accidents, etc.). If people can't survive in the woods without guns, then maybe we don't belong there. Survival of the fitessed ended with the invention of the gun, and i believe that's a shame.

...that being said, I still believe that the 2nd amendment gives people the right to own firearms and that the government should NOT infringe upon that right. I just wish so many people weren't under the impression that they can't live without their trusty piece of steel.

"The FBI estimates that there are over 200 million privately-owned firearms in the US."

I must have missed it in today's paper, but there's 200 million good gun stories right there. I mean, 200 million guns that did NOT shoot someone. NRA magazines always have the stories of legal, law-abiding citizens who use their weapons IN SELF DEFENSE! I'd say those were good stories as well.

Tucker stated "if someone was attacking me" while in his tent. Torch, you mutated it into "agressive rustling". I'm glad you don't carry a weapon. When I have to get up about 0200 and get outside my hammock in a hurry, I sometimes agressively rustle, desperately trying to make it outside to take care of business.

Thanks for the can o' worms picture. I was wondering when it would show up. I'm looking for the beating a dead horse cartoon next.

4eyedbuzzard
09-20-2010, 08:17
Didn't want you to be disappointed

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:-j9CQN4oI21EOM:http://i676.photobucket.com/albums/vv123/Gardnerius/beating-a-dead-horse.jpg&t=1

Toolshed
09-20-2010, 08:19
http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/beating-a-dead-horse.jpg
Obviously it's the non-handgun-owning crowd - you can tell by the bat........

JAK
09-20-2010, 08:43
I think it is good to have a place in the world where alot of people carry guns, and talk about guns, and whether or not people should carry them, and who should, and who shouldn't, and why you should, and why you shouldn't.

Not every place in the world. Just some places.
It's nice to have variety. Keeps things interesting.

Ender
09-20-2010, 08:45
Just a quick note people: Keep it civil, or this gets closed down.

JAK
09-20-2010, 08:53
I don't know that much about certain parts of the USA, or Western Canada.
I have a great atlas, but in some places all it says is...

HC SVNT DRACONES

;)

Ender
09-20-2010, 08:54
He he he... ain't that the truth.

4eyedbuzzard
09-20-2010, 08:57
I don't know that much about certain parts of the USA, or Western Canada.
I have a great atlas, but in some places all it says is...

HC SVNT DRACONES

;)

Mostly near shelters.

Philip
09-20-2010, 09:12
I really don't understand what people are so afraid of regarding other's choice to carry legally. Legal carriers are the good guys and I'm glad to have them around. Besides, if concealed carriers are doing their jobs, you will never know they're carrying anyway.

And yes, it is quite easy to have quick access to a properly concealed weapon. I do just fine being able to get my hands on not one, but two pretty darn fast, not to mention additional magazines... but the typical non-law enforcement types would never know they were there.

Admittedly, I've had a CHL license for over a decade and have never had a need to produce a weapon much less use one and doubt I ever will. But as a grown man responsible for my family's safety, I would be remiss in not equipping myself for the job now wouldn't I?

Have a good hike.

JAK
09-20-2010, 09:22
I liked the chapter in Too Kill A Mockingbird where Attica shoots the rapid dog. I've always aspired to grow up to be that sort of a man. Nowhere's near there yet, but of course in my defence the real world is more complicated. I thought the sheriff in that story was a pretty good man also. He knew enough to carry a rifle for such purposes, and he also knew enough to hand it over to the better shot. I suppose on might wonder what Attica might have done if the Sherriff hadn't have been there to hand him a rifle. Perhaps then, in such a world, he would have had one handy. Not sure. That would have been a different book and a different story. We each have to write our own story, and choose our own characters. There is more than one type of good character though. We can only be one of them, and we should at least try and make it a good one. Only so much we can do about the bad characters though, and the mad dogs amongst us and within us.

I also liked the part where it snows. Something about snow I like very much. Sometimes it's nice to just sit down or lay in snow and just have it fall all around you. Just look out at the world, and not change it too much. But still, sooner or later, we must act. One way or another. Act we must.

Lone Wolf
09-20-2010, 09:25
philip gets it

RGB
09-20-2010, 09:27

If you're in a tent, someone could blow you away without even opening it if they wanted to.

JAK
09-20-2010, 09:28
Yeah. I'm just not sure why Attica didn't get it. Why didn't he carry a gun?

Mags
09-20-2010, 09:30
No need for two threads on the exact same topic...esp one that does nothing but cause more stupid commentary than usual.... :sun
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60409