PDA

View Full Version : Not sure which tent to get

jeremynj
09-20-2010, 09:58
Are there any better tents than the Eureka Spitfire for the same price range ?

stranger
09-20-2010, 13:59
That's a fairly broad question, but Eureka is well known for their quality and low prices. You can't miss with a Spitfire, the hoop design works, simple, effective...

But what is better? That's up to you...your preferences, your needs...etc.

brotheral
09-20-2010, 14:37
Are there any better tents than the Eureka Spitfire for the same price range ?
Probably Not !!

bulldog49
09-20-2010, 14:43
Nope, definitely not in that price range.

Old Hiker
09-20-2010, 14:58
ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1.0 - got this at Steep and Cheap dot com for $70 - my 5'2" wife likes it. Had a couple of people recommend it here on WB. Don't know about the Spitfire.

I hang in my Clark Jungle hammock.

Rambler
09-20-2010, 15:16
I have used a Eureka Timberline for many years and it is still a good tent. So, I would guess that that is an excellent buy. Now, however, I only use my Eureka for car camping. I have switched to using tarps which I highly recommend that you try. Most weigh under a pound including tarps for two people. If you use trekking poles, you do not have to carry other poles for your shelter.

BTW The AT through NY/NJ is a beautiful section of the trail...a great place to use what ever shelter you carry!

Bags4266
09-20-2010, 16:35
The spitfire is a tried and true tent at a great price. Hard to beat that. Some people would consider it too heavy. But to reduce the weight it will come at the penalty of price.