PDA

View Full Version : Baby Boomers Unite!

Turtle Feet
09-20-2010, 12:57
I'm starting this thread to help those of us born in the Boomer-era identify each other. Non-Boomers welcome of course! :welcome

As the 2011 Registry grows, there seems to be a good number of us born 1946-1964 starting our thru-hike next year. I thought it would be nice to have sort of a "base-camp" for Baby Boomers to connect with each other!

Turtle Feet
09-20-2010, 13:05
So I'll go first....

I'm planning to start at Springer mid-March (12th, 13th, 14th?). I started backpacking roughly 25 years ago, and will turn 52 on the trail. Trail name (for now) is Turtle Feet - sort of based on the assumption that I'll be traveling at a turtle's pace - at least for the first month or so.

I'm heading to Springer alone but hoping to meet up with some similar paced (and age?) hikers once on the trail. Look forward to hearing from other Boomers!!!

TF

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 13:17
Well, Since I was born in 62, I guess I'm a "Boomer"
I plan to start mid March as well, My birthday is in February so I will miss the Trail Birthday thing. I started camping in 1984 and have camped in the wilds as well as numerous campgrounds in Vermont, Mass., Connecticut, New York, Penn., Florida and New Hampshire. Most of my camping included day hikes but I am new to Backpacking, On my day hikes I usually did not use a pack.
I also am planning to start alone and hope to meet someone to hike with. I plan to go easy at first so I don't end up quitting. I've read that a lot of people overdo it at first and hurt themselves and have to leave the trail and sometimes abandon their Thru all together. I am not setting any mileage goals at all. Starting mid March gives me a solid 7 months to get to Maine so I can pretty much take my time and zero days as needed and hit the big miles after I am acclimated.

Turtle Feet
09-20-2010, 13:23
I also am planning to start alone and hope to meet someone to hike with. I plan to go easy at first so I don't end up quitting. I've read that a lot of people overdo it at first and hurt themselves and have to leave the trail and sometimes abandon their Thru all together. I am not setting any mileage goals at all. Starting mid March gives me a solid 7 months to get to Maine so I can pretty much take my time and zero days as needed and hit the big miles after I am acclimated.

Slow and steady wins the race! ... :sun

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 13:52
just to help, ive come to a system that seems to help. 6 days hiking 7th day a zero. this still can put a person on a 6 month completion rate while still allowing for much needed days of simply resupplying and relaxation. even God felt the need to rest on the seventh day. hope to see some of you out there

Pedaling Fool
09-20-2010, 14:01
I've never read anything about the baby-boomer generation, but always heard about it being the children of WWII service members. Then I read something some where, not too long ago, that listed the dates the OP listed (1946-1964). That would mean my parents, who I've always thought were baby-boomers, were born a year or two earlier. However, I'm a baby-boomer because I was born in 1964, yet my sister who was born in 1965 (almost '66) is not. So I'm the only baby-boomer in my immediate family. Something doesn't seem right.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 14:08
the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time ago

Old Hiker
09-20-2010, 14:12
the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time ago

I'm gonna be the first here: the only thing the LIBERAL media focuses on is the FEW who did the sex, drugs and rock-n-roll. They try to make it out that EVERYONE did so, which is completely false. As for the people who tell you not to do the sex and drugs, many of them have reformed and seen the error of their ways. Many of them also have incureable or even slowly fatal diseases. Do you think they may have personal knowledge that may come in handy for the young pups?

Appears to me (broadly brushing) that the younger the person nowadays, the more the "gimmee" mentality is.

Luddite
09-20-2010, 14:13
I was born in '87. I don't think theres a name for my generation.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 14:16
wrong. baby boomers came up with all the me first marketing slogans..whoever dies with the most toys wins, just do it, lead follow or get out of the way. the younger generations learned their attitudes from the boomers who raised them.

IronGutsTommy
09-20-2010, 14:17
born in 87, youre generation X. generation Y starts around 1992 i believe

Pedaling Fool
09-20-2010, 14:18
wrong. baby boomers came up with all the me first marketing slogans..whoever dies with the most toys wins, just do it, lead follow or get out of the way. the younger generations learned their attitudes from the boomers who raised them.
That's not my attitude and I'm a baby-boomer...so I'm told:D

Luddite
09-20-2010, 14:33
born in 87, youre generation X. generation Y starts around 1992 i believe

Am I? I thought you had to be born in the 70's. I think I'm Gen Y. :-?

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 14:49
Slow and steady wins the race! ... :sun

That's a saying I've used many times. I figure as long as I get there, Does not matter whether I walked or ran, As long as I made it!!:sun

notBillyBob
09-20-2010, 15:25
My wife and I were both born in 1953. Unfortunately, our thru-hike is now scheduled to start in March 2014. This is the following year after we reach 60. We are trying to hold on with working to get an insurance deal from my employer that is just to sweet to pass up. I have just had a total knee replacement, so maybe the extra time will ensure that it is fully healed. Sometimes we talk and we think let's just chuck it and retire now. So much we want to do. Selling out and buying an RV and heading to Utah is right at the top of the list along with the AT. We will be dead soon and want to live like now ! I think we are in good shape financially and can do it but we just can't seem to be on the same page at the same time to get up enough guts to go for it. The government, the healthcare system, old age, money - everything just plays with your minds when planning such a big move. I know we won't miss work and will stay busy but that first big step toward actual retirement is spooky.

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 16:11
My wife and I were both born in 1953. Unfortunately, our thru-hike is now scheduled to start in March 2014. This is the following year after we reach 60. We are trying to hold on with working to get an insurance deal from my employer that is just to sweet to pass up. I have just had a total knee replacement, so maybe the extra time will ensure that it is fully healed. Sometimes we talk and we think let's just chuck it and retire now. So much we want to do. Selling out and buying an RV and heading to Utah is right at the top of the list along with the AT. We will be dead soon and want to live like now ! I think we are in good shape financially and can do it but we just can't seem to be on the same page at the same time to get up enough guts to go for it. The government, the healthcare system, old age, money - everything just plays with your minds when planning such a big move. I know we won't miss work and will stay busy but that first big step toward actual retirement is spooky.

Any time we step out of our comfort zone it is a little scary, at any age, But sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered, Every time I've made a change in my life it's when I've felt most alive, everything is different and new and full of infinite possibilities, I always adopt a positive attitude and outlook. The same old thing is just that, The same old thing. I can understand wanting to hold onto what seems to be security but in my experience, It's false, There really is very little security, I know so many people who hold onto their lives and material things with a death grip. It can all be lost in a minute. Look at the survivors of natural disasters like Katrina etc... Homes and objects worth hundreds of thousands of dollars washed away in a very short time. What takes a lifetime to aquire can be lost in a minute it seems. As far as being dead soon, I've known many people that never saw 20 years old. The way I see it 60 means you still have 20 to 30 years to go. My friend and landlady just passed away in May, She was 89 and full of life, It was completely unexpected. You will make the choices that you feel are right for you and your spouse.
Then again, Tomorrow could be my last day, No guarantee is given to anyone. Every day I wake up is a good day!!

Turtle Feet
09-20-2010, 22:32

I have a quote hanging on my bedroom wall ....

"I will not tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death". :cool:

We're definitely in an era of uncertainty, but I say screw it. What's the old saying, 'at the end of our lives it's not the things we DID that we regret - it's the things we DIDN'T do'. The older I get, the more that rings true for me.

On the subject of hiking the trail. I read somewhere on this site that if you walk an additional hour/day you can shave a full month off the trip. Makes sense to me - it's not the rate of speed that we walk, but the length of time we walk each day.

TF

stunt man
09-21-2010, 01:57
I have a quote hanging on my bedroom wall ....

"I will not tip-toe through life, only to arrive safely at death". :cool:

wow i really like that... prettymuch sums up my way of living... theres a reason people call me stunt man haha

Jeff
09-21-2010, 08:48
All Boomers are welcome to stay at our hostel in Manchester, VT -- Green Mountain House. We pride ourselves on being the cleanest hostel on the trail.

Most Boomer's sign up for the 6:30AM shuttle back to the trailhead. Everyone else sleeps until 10 and is out after Noon. Funny how both groups end up at the same shelter that evening.:D

RETCW4
09-22-2010, 12:14
I was born in 1952. I will be starting april 1 and hiking alone. I know I will be hiking at times with others. I have doen 114 miles from Vt to CT, all of MD and parts of PA. My trail name is Tumbleweed; had it since my grandfather gave it to me in 1954. I had a plan to work until March of 2011, got laid off, got another job and will still quit in March of 2011.

Hope to see y'all out there.

Tumbleweed

Wuff
09-22-2010, 12:52
Since I work in marketing research, we're constantly talking about the various generations. Obviously Gen Y is the best generation ever. I might be biased however. Haha.

Since there seemed to be some confusion I thought I'd post the guide we use to identifying gens. Many companies and groups disagree on the age breaks.

Looking forward to seeing the boomers on the trail, and definitely looking forward to NOT having to talk about marketing research for 6 months.

---------------
Baby Boomers - The generation born between 1946 and 1964. In 2010, Baby Boomers are
between the ages of 46 and 64.

Generation X - The generation born between 1965 and 1976. In 2010, Generation Xers are between the ages of 34 and 45.

Generation Y - The generation born between 1977 and 1994. In 2010, Gen Ys are between the ages of 16 and 33.

Turtle Feet
09-22-2010, 19:18
All Boomers are welcome to stay at our hostel in Manchester, VT -- Green Mountain House. We pride ourselves on being the cleanest hostel on the trail.

Most Boomer's sign up for the 6:30AM shuttle back to the trailhead. Everyone else sleeps until 10 and is out after Noon. Funny how both groups end up at the same shelter that evening.:D

Jeff, if I make it to VT, I'll be honored to stay with you.... right now I'm hoping I make it to the top of Springer ...:eek: OK, not really (I mean the Springer part), but I did a 9 miler today and my arss is achin'! Doing 15 and 20 mile days seems like highly improbable from where I sit right now...

TF

Turtle Feet
09-22-2010, 19:20
Hey Wuff, do you have a starting date???

I was soooo looking forward to talk marketing research, but I promise I won't bring it up in your presence. ;D

TF

Turtle Feet
09-22-2010, 19:25
I was born in 1952. I will be starting april 1 and hiking alone. I know I will be hiking at times with others. I have doen 114 miles from Vt to CT, all of MD and parts of PA. My trail name is Tumbleweed; had it since my grandfather gave it to me in 1954. I had a plan to work until March of 2011, got laid off, got another job and will still quit in March of 2011.

Tumbleweed

Hey Tumbleweed! There's a VERY good chance you'll catch me...lol. Actually, I may hold up in Fontana for a couple of days around the 1st. It's our 25th wedding anniversary. I figured I'll be happy to take a little break by then, and the resort there looks as good as anywhere to celebrate a milestone! :banana

TF

WhoAh
09-27-2010, 00:28
the old phart - at least so far - of this 'boomer thread, having been born in 1949. I attempted a thru in '07 but screwed my knee up in the Smokies. Can't get permission from The Wife for another thru attempt so I am only going to be out for a couple of weeks or so. Starting late March.

~~WhoAh

gipcgirl
09-27-2010, 06:12
I am starting my second attempt to thru hike the AT March 15th 2011. Having just returned to Australia after hiking 1846 miles my visa ran out only because I broke my leg first week into my hike and had to hang around Franklin NC for 5 weeks to let it heal. Then I had some really slow weeks. I had the best time ever and can't wait for next year to do it all over again. Not bad for a baby boomer born 1949. gipcgirl

Carbo
09-27-2010, 11:37
This past weekend I had the pleasure of hiking with four post-thru-hikers (two did it in 98, the others 06 & 07) three of them were boomers. These folks were non-stop fun and energy for three days straight of hiking! The inspiration and information they gave me will be a strong force in gettng my butt down to Springer March-April 2011. I want more of this!

On the trail we met two SOBOs (Blissful and Root Rock or Rock Root). Although they never saw each other before, these guys gabbed like they were old friends for years. How do you beat this!?

Turtle Feet
09-27-2010, 11:42
the old phart - at least so far - of this 'boomer thread, having been born in 1949. I attempted a thru in '07 but screwed my knee up in the Smokies. Can't get permission from The Wife for another thru attempt so I am only going to be out for a couple of weeks or so. Starting late March.

~~WhoAh

Just a thought .... if you just kept walking WhoAh, could she catch you??? :cool:

TF

Turtle Feet
09-27-2010, 11:44
I am starting my second attempt to thru hike the AT March 15th 2011. Having just returned to Australia after hiking 1846 miles my visa ran out only because I broke my leg first week into my hike and had to hang around Franklin NC for 5 weeks to let it heal. Then I had some really slow weeks. I had the best time ever and can't wait for next year to do it all over again. Not bad for a baby boomer born 1949. gipcgirl

Well, looking forward to meeting you! I'm starting mid-March, don't have an exact date yet, but roughly 13th - 16th, somewhere in there.

Amazing to have kept going with a broken leg, my goodness woman! You deserve to finish!!!! :banana

TF

chief
09-27-2010, 13:56
the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness. through their formative years they used sex drugs and rock and roll. now they want the next generations to abstain from sex, say no to drugs... as for the rock and roll music they sold that for TV commercials a long time agoI'm a baby boomer (1950) who lived thru the so-called sex, drug and rock and roll era. I seem to remember the previous generation being "self righteously" against those things also and now I know plenty of Gen Xers who are no less "self-righteous". Gen Yers will follow! As for selling out our music, at least we had music to sell.

Red Hat
09-27-2010, 15:08
I am starting my second attempt to thru hike the AT March 15th 2011. Having just returned to Australia after hiking 1846 miles my visa ran out only because I broke my leg first week into my hike and had to hang around Franklin NC for 5 weeks to let it heal. Then I had some really slow weeks. I had the best time ever and can't wait for next year to do it all over again. Not bad for a baby boomer born 1949. gipcgirlAll over again!!! wow gipcgirl! I am proud to have met you, but I had no idea that you were near my age. You look great!!! Anyway, best wishes for your next thru. (but I recommend starting where you got off...NH and Maine are HARD!)

DapperD
09-27-2010, 19:07
born in 87, youre generation X. generation Y starts around 1992 i believeHe's actually considered Generation Y. Generation X is considered those that are born between 1965-77:-?

DapperD
09-27-2010, 19:44
Any time we step out of our comfort zone it is a little scary, at any age, But sometimes that's just what the doctor ordered, Every time I've made a change in my life it's when I've felt most alive, everything is different and new and full of infinite possibilities, I always adopt a positive attitude and outlook. The same old thing is just that, The same old thing. I can understand wanting to hold onto what seems to be security but in my experience, It's false, There really is very little security, I know so many people who hold onto their lives and material things with a death grip. It can all be lost in a minute. Look at the survivors of natural disasters like Katrina etc... Homes and objects worth hundreds of thousands of dollars washed away in a very short time. What takes a lifetime to aquire can be lost in a minute it seems. As far as being dead soon, I've known many people that never saw 20 years old. The way I see it 60 means you still have 20 to 30 years to go. My friend and landlady just passed away in May, She was 89 and full of life, It was completely unexpected. You will make the choices that you feel are right for you and your spouse.
Then again, Tomorrow could be my last day, No guarantee is given to anyone. Every day I wake up is a good day!!What you say is very true. Many people will never step out of their "comfort zones".. Many people (and even more so years ago) were born, lived and died in the same town or city. Some people are even known to rarely leave their home. Life is very short and we all need to enjoy ourselves when we can. Try to get out more and see and experience more of the world in which we live. The reason we feel so much better when we do try new things is because our minds grow stale and bored when we continuousely trudge on with the same old routine year after year. We need to continuousely strive for new goals and challenges. This is what makes it all worthwhile. And these challenges don't need to be dangerous, risky challenges, but worthwhile goals that allow our minds and spirit to benefit. And as far as possessions go you are right. Everything one owns can be lost in a moment due to a natural disaster, etc...things worth owning and having take time to construct. They can easily be destroyed much faster then they can be earned, built and/or acquired. I think we all need to understand that material things can always be replaced, however people and our lost and frittered time cannot.

RichardD
09-27-2010, 20:06
I was born in 1947.
I retired from teaching in May 2010 and have been on a never ending vacation since then.
I intend to start the AT sometime in the second half of March. I will ski until the crowds come at Spring Break. Then drive home and prepare food shipments. Then drive with my wife to Georgia. This will likely put the start date around 20th.
The great thing about being retired is nothing needs to happen on specific dates.
I guess the only specific date is that I need to be at Baxter Park by Oct 15th.

gipcgirl
09-28-2010, 00:23
All over again!!! wow gipcgirl! I am proud to have met you, but I had no idea that you were near my age. You look great!!! Anyway, best wishes for your next thru. (but I recommend starting where you got off...NH and Maine are HARD!)

Hi Red Hat
Good to hear from you. Starting at Springer gives me the option to skip ahead
if I start to run out of time, although i am really trying for a 7-8 month visa this time round. Also I truly want to be a thru hiker i.e. do the whole trail in one year. I know its truly insane but thats what I want.
Yeah I agree NH and maine are Hard really hard but I know I can do it.
See ya next year.
gipcgirl

gipcgirl
09-28-2010, 00:29
Well, looking forward to meeting you! I'm starting mid-March, don't have an exact date yet, but roughly 13th - 16th, somewhere in there.

Amazing to have kept going with a broken leg, my goodness woman! You deserve to finish!!!! :banana

TF

Thanks for the pat on the back, so few hikers I met hiking this year in our age bracket doing a thru hike, hope that there will be heaps more in 2011, this thread is such a good idea.
If anyone has any questions for me about the trail, gear etc feel free to ask as I have recent knowledge and experience.
gipcgirl

Turtle Feet
10-10-2010, 08:09
Thanks for the pat on the back, so few hikers I met hiking this year in our age bracket doing a thru hike, hope that there will be heaps more in 2011, this thread is such a good idea.
If anyone has any questions for me about the trail, gear etc feel free to ask as I have recent knowledge and experience.
gipcgirl

I'm getting in as much hiking as possible right now. Leaving here in a few minutes as a matter of fact - picking up a couple of friends then we're driving up to the Porcupine Mountains (UP of MI) to spend the day on the trails. They may be joining me for a week or so on the AT.

I may very well call on your gipcgirl, I've got most all my gear, but I know I'll be second guessing up until the last minute...lol! ;)

TF

StarLyte
10-10-2010, 08:32
I always knew I was a baby boomer :rolleyes:

1957 here.

moytoy
10-10-2010, 09:03
I wish I could start in 2011 but I'm tied to my work for another three years or so. My target for start is 2015 right now. I'm doing 40 miles per week in Ocala NF for now just to stay in hiking shape. I wish all boomers luck this coming year especially gipcgirl. I have read most of her journal and she is certainly dedicated to her quest.

wingnutexpress
10-17-2010, 19:31
Trail name is "Wingnut" and I'm a "boomer (1946). I'll be heading northbound on March 1, 2011. Hiked from Springer to Damascus in 1999 before I had to go back to work. Retired now, so I have the time to do it "slow and easy".

Turtle Feet
10-17-2010, 19:53
Trail name is "Wingnut" and I'm a "boomer (1946). I'll be heading northbound on March 1, 2011. Hiked from Springer to Damascus in 1999 before I had to go back to work. Retired now, so I have the time to do it "slow and easy".

Nice to 'meet' you! :)

So thinking back to '99 Wingnut, what was it about the trail that surprised you the most when you started?

Are you splurging on new equipment?

TF
d29754e6-c280-4671-99ee-6ba676dd1803

rainmaker
10-17-2010, 23:34

You think to much. It really is not all that complicated. I've been retired since 2001 while on the AT. I'll never forget calling my office from a campsite in Georgia and asking them to join me in the countdown...9, 8, 7...yeah!!!!

allwen
10-18-2010, 08:14
I am a proud baby boomer, born in 1952, husband missed out, he is ancient, born in 1942. We arrive in Atlanta on March 15th from Australia. We are staying at Hiker Hostel and will start either 16th or 17th depending on jet lag. We are experienced Aussie hikers BUT you guys have mountains, will be a whole different ballgame for us on the AT. We sold our house, bought a cheaper one in a different state, threw in our jobs, and are madly excited that now it is our time to LIVE. Kids are grown up and raising their own, life is a huge adventure and we want to grab it with both hands!

wingnutexpress
10-18-2010, 19:31
Turtel Feet
Actually I wasn't too surprised about anything. I didn't do the Approach Trail and this time I will. It was a pleasant hike in '99 and I met some great people. I started March 25th in '99 and there were a lot of hikers starting about that time. Shelters were full, but on the other hand, there were a lot of interesting people to meet. A lot had dropped out by the time I reached Damascus though.
I splurged on some new gear this time. External to Internal pack, lighter tent, better rain gear, Waldies vs Teva sandals, etc., but will use my old stove, Leki poles, sleeping bags, boots, etc. Oh yeah, I decided to bring a small Sony camcorder this time to keep the memories on, in spite of the extra weight.
Last time, I was "on a mission" because I knew that I had to get back to work so I didn't have the opportunity to really take everything in and enjoy myself. I was too busy trying to "make the miles". This time, I'm going to start earlier and take my good ole time.

Turtle Feet
10-19-2010, 11:46
Turtel Feet
Actually I wasn't too surprised about anything. I didn't do the Approach Trail and this time I will. It was a pleasant hike in '99 and I met some great people. I started March 25th in '99 and there were a lot of hikers starting about that time. Shelters were full, but on the other hand, there were a lot of interesting people to meet. A lot had dropped out by the time I reached Damascus though.
I splurged on some new gear this time. External to Internal pack, lighter tent, better rain gear, Waldies vs Teva sandals, etc., but will use my old stove, Leki poles, sleeping bags, boots, etc. Oh yeah, I decided to bring a small Sony camcorder this time to keep the memories on, in spite of the extra weight.
Last time, I was "on a mission" because I knew that I had to get back to work so I didn't have the opportunity to really take everything in and enjoy myself. I was too busy trying to "make the miles". This time, I'm going to start earlier and take my good ole time.

I'm all over the "take my good ole time"! I've been looking forward to this trip for too many decades to rush through it! :D

TF
d29754e6-c280-4671-99ee-6ba676dd1803
1.03.01d29754e6-c280-4671-99ee-6ba676dd1803

walrus5757
11-22-2010, 17:19
I'm a boomer too...1957. Starting late Feb. or early March...Whatever the weather gives me.

Namaste
11-22-2010, 17:38
I'm a baby boomer with a generation Y daughter who will be graduating from HS in June then off to college so 2011 is not the right time for me to thru. Possibly 2012. She and I have done and will continue to do lots of section hiking in the meantime.

Turtle Feet
11-22-2010, 19:09
I'm a boomer too...1957. Starting late Feb. or early March...Whatever the weather gives me.

I've got a firm start date of 3/13 now(hopefully most of winter will be over by then) so maybe we'll see you on the trail!

TF

runfifty
11-22-2010, 22:41
I turned 59 on my thru hike this year so I'm definitely a boomer. I left on 2/27 and didn't see many folks near my age. Good luck to all of you in 2011!

QiWiz
12-20-2010, 21:27

Tumbleweed

I'll be 9 days behind you, and will start mid-day on the approach trail from Amicalola, so doubt I will ever see you, but you never know I guess. Have a good hike. Born in '54, an excellent year for tumbleweeds, I'm told . . . :D

hikerboy57
12-20-2010, 21:36
This is about the same as reading your horoscope and believing anyone born in the same month as you, regardless of year, share all personality traits. You do make a point. Jerry Rubin founded the Yippie movement, and in the '80s he was running networking parties at the Palladium in NYC.I lost my youthful ideals when I got married, and it took me divorce and the last 15 years to rediscover them.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
John Lennon

Turtle Feet
12-21-2010, 11:00
the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness.

Is it really self-righteousness when you're actually right? :-?

I'm just sayin'....

tf

Tim51
12-21-2010, 11:43
Hi all,

Just letting you all know i will be starting my self-righteous thru hike around the middle of Feb. ..Good luck to all of you!

Tim51
12-21-2010, 11:47
btw. my trail name is Barnacle.

Ogre
12-21-2010, 13:40
the only thing bad about the boomers is the self righteousness.

Just like the only bad thing about us Gen Xers is the apath... oh who cares.

SawnieRobertson
12-21-2010, 13:43

What great news, Wingnut! It will be good seeing you out there.--Kinnickinic

SawnieRobertson
12-21-2010, 14:05
What label would you put on my generation? I came along on Earth Day, 1933, just after The Lost Generation. Although I have no memory of it, 1933 is said to have been a pretty "challenging" year. We grew up without air conditioning in the bottom tip of Texas along the Rio Grande. There was no a/c in cars. There wasn't any heat in cars either although we seldom had an opportunity to care about that. There were no antibiotics available to the ordinary (nonmilitary) citizen until well into the onset of the Boomer Generation. We were there for the Dust Bowl and Pearl Harbor Day. FDR was president for the first 12 years of my life. What generation am I?

I really find labels for the most part to be ignorant short cuts for people who are too lazy to fully describe their judgments of others. For that reason, I have told my oldest Boomer that she is never to use the word "Elderly" in my presence again. (She got it.)

And yet, here we are. I will put my foot on the trail again in March as soon as the weather proves it knows how to behave courteously. What shall my group be called?
"The Elderly Generation?"

Well, I guess that's okay. If the shoe fits, I guess we can wear it.--Kinnickinic

Carbo
12-21-2010, 14:28
Without asking, I get the "senior discount" at Dunkin Donuts, Wendy's, ski lifts, bus rides, movies, etc. I get that they think I'm so cute and feeble that I deserve the discount. The day will come soon when I say "hey petunia, I just hiked 2000+ miles over the past 6 months, you sure I qualify for your 'cute-feeble person' discount?"

Yeah, we're self righteous when we have to march in our own strength.

jimsteve
12-21-2010, 20:30
I am planning on starting around March 1, 2011, going north. Add me to your Babyboomer list, born 1949.

sparky2009
12-21-2010, 21:24
I'm planning on starting on March 21st. Born in 1958. Hope to see you all out there!

Cookerhiker
12-21-2010, 21:43
What label would you put on my generation? I came along on Earth Day, 1933, just after The Lost Generation. Although I have no memory of it, 1933 is said to have been a pretty "challenging" year. We grew up without air conditioning in the bottom tip of Texas along the Rio Grande. There was no a/c in cars. There wasn't any heat in cars either although we seldom had an opportunity to care about that. There were no antibiotics available to the ordinary (nonmilitary) citizen until well into the onset of the Boomer Generation. We were there for the Dust Bowl and Pearl Harbor Day. FDR was president for the first 12 years of my life. What generation am I?

I really find labels for the most part to be ignorant short cuts for people who are too lazy to fully describe their judgments of others. For that reason, I have told my oldest Boomer that she is never to use the word "Elderly" in my presence again. (She got it.)

And yet, here we are. I will put my foot on the trail again in March as soon as the weather proves it knows how to behave courteously. What shall my group be called?
"The Elderly Generation?"

Well, I guess that's okay. If the shoe fits, I guess we can wear it.--Kinnickinic

Hey Kinnickinic, were you born near where you live now? If so, you debuted around the same time and place as the Galax Old Time Fiddlers Convention (http://oldfiddlersconvention.com/).

Cookerhiker
12-21-2010, 21:48
I'm a boomer but more to the point AT-wise, I was born in the month that Earl Shaffer began his thruhike. But my parents never told me that; I had to find out for myself!:p

SawnieRobertson
12-21-2010, 22:04
Hey Kinnickinic, were you born near where you live now? If so, you debuted around the same time and place as the Galax Old Time Fiddlers Convention (http://oldfiddlersconvention.com/).

No, Cookie Hiker, I was born in San Antonio. It's okay though. I eventially made it East from Mariachi land.--Kinnickinic:banana

gipcgirl
12-21-2010, 22:46
I am planning on starting around March 1, 2011, going north. Add me to your Babyboomer list, born 1949.
me too born 1949 starting 1st March 2011
I feel and act about age 15 its whats inside that counts not the numbers or the outside looks.

Tinker
12-21-2010, 22:52
I have nothing to hide. My age is right up front on my public info. Up until a couple of years ago I was able to hike pretty much as I did in my 20s and 30s. Now I feel like I'm at least 40 ;).

Tinker
12-21-2010, 22:54
Oops! Can't delete my post.
I won't be thruhiking in 2011. Retirement is 6 years away (if 2012 doesn't get us all first ;)).

RockDoc
12-21-2010, 23:35
The fellow Boomers, and even older folks, have been the most memorable people I have met on the trail. Many have remarkable life stories, including long careers, military service, raising families, and their share of worldwide outdoor adventures, and sometimes near-death experiences (all things that I dare suggest our younger friends often lack).

I think of a fellow I met above the Weaverton Cliffs one November. He said he was one of the inventors of the Roomba robot vacuum cleaner, among other things. But he didn't talk much about that, he was more into hiking.

And if you listen closely, you can tell that others are probably quite wealthy, some at the top of their professions. And yet, this is how they choose to spend their time! Getting down and dirty and wet and grimy and hungry.

I hope to meet some of the posters here as I hike south from VA this April/May, and hear more great life stories.

powdermill
12-21-2010, 23:44
You can add me to the list. I just make the boomer list, as I was born in 62. I plan on heading north on March 14th, after a overnight at the Hiker Hostel. I look forward to meeting many new people. No trail name yet, but I'm sure I'll do something stupid to earn one.

earlyriser26
12-21-2010, 23:50
In Feb. I turn 55, the absolute peak of the Baby boom. The 1% of people you see on old TV shows in San Fran were not how it was. As you can see in my photos. I went hiking in Maine vs. woodstock. They were very few "hippies" at the time. The most radical thing most people did was grow their hair long. You seem to be the self righteous one.:mad:

Carbo
12-22-2010, 08:15
me too born 1949 starting 1st March 2011
I feel and act about age 15 its whats inside that counts not the numbers or the outside looks.

Ditto here except I was born in 1946. My wife is 12 years younger, and my kids in their early 20's, so hanging around with them and friends just adds to that effect of feeling like I'm much younger. I still get the "why don't you grow up" or "why don't you act your age" thing a lot, which just makes me laugh on the inside.

BTW- my thru starts first week in April 2011. Looking forward to seeing all you young-old people (or is it old-young people)? Can't wait to act my age with you all.

Take care!