PDA

View Full Version : What pump H2O filter

tammons
09-20-2010, 17:02
I have tried the aquamira pro, gravity setup and its okay.
It is light but you need other stuff to go with it. A gravity bag, tubing, some sort of prefilter, Water scooper of some sort.

Also built a custom job using a grocery store filter which I may keep on working on later, but I have decided I want to try a small light fairly fast pump filter.

Typical filtering being filter through a charcoal filter then treat the bacteria and viruses either with chlorine drops or a Steripen.

I almost ordered a MSR Hyperflow Microfilter until I started reading review
and found quite a few complaints about totally clogged filters after only a few days of regular use.

That is basically what I want though. Drop a prefilter tube in the water and pump.

The Cleaner
09-20-2010, 18:18
I've got the Hyperflow and been used on 3 30-40 mile trips.You got to be careful and follow instructions to keep it going.Once I used it few times and became fimiliar with all the parts,no problems.It also has a high flow rate.On the minus side it is made of plastic on can be over tightened easily.Newer models have a redesigned filter which may be the reason for some negative reviews....

Bags4266
09-20-2010, 19:00
http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=mbw I have one and am going to try it out in a week for a 2 week section hike. I wouldn't thru with it but am going to use it as a back up to my Aqua Mira. Its only 3 oz.

tammons
09-20-2010, 19:04
I read a few reviews on moosejaw and REI where the users said they did everything right, back flushed it every 8 liters etc and it still clogged.

From what I read if it freezes the filter will crack and the replacement filter is $40 so maybe I will keep on working on my MYOG one that uses Brita filters for now.

I sort of like simple is better stuff, but I would like a good pump filter.

tammons
09-20-2010, 19:06
Oh yeah. Remember reading about that somewhere. Let us know how it works. Certainly looks simple enough.

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=mbw I have one and am going to try it out in a week for a 2 week section hike. I wouldn't thru with it but am going to use it as a back up to my Aqua Mira. Its only 3 oz.

Bags4266
09-20-2010, 19:06
Well I wouldn't use any pump below freezing temps for that reason

Jonnycat
09-22-2010, 13:53
I have been using a Hiker (now Katadyn Hiker) for a long time (since I stopped using the iodine tabs), and I am very satisfied with it.

dcmidnight
09-22-2010, 13:58
I have the Hiker Pro and am more than satisfied with it. On a recent trip the two other guys I met up with had the same model. Small sample size but it seems to be pretty popular on the trail.

Moose2001
09-22-2010, 14:20
Katadyn Hiker Pro is probably the most popular filter on the trail. Simple, bullet proof and reliable. Forget the chlorine or steripen afterwards. That's overkill.

tammons
09-22-2010, 15:21
I think choline or a steripen is an overkill if you have a decent water source. If not
I think its good insurance if not.