PDA

View Full Version : 1st Thru Hike & Camel Back use?

CollegeEscape
09-20-2010, 22:41
Hello All; New user here, looking to possibly do a Thru Hike in the next several years. I am currently a Junior Nursing Student in College, but am having a difficult time & looking to get away & for a while & get my head on straight! Any comments on this?

Now, I have not seen anyone mention the use of Camel Backs on Thru hikes in my limited research. I have a Military Issue Camel back that holds 3L of water. Would this be a good thing to bring on the trail, or would this not be advisable? How else is water typically carried? I have heard of people taking 2 liter bottles & throwing them in their backpack, but the camel back displaces the weight better I believe. Thoughts?

Thanks for all the help!

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 23:01
I have a 100 ounce Camelbak Unbottle that I bought for my Thru-Hike next year.
It weighs 14.4 ounces, I decided to not use it and instead bought a Platypus 2 Liter Hoser which is basically the same thing without the cordura cover, The Platy 2 Liter weighs 3.6 ounces and the 3 Liter Platypus Hoser weighs 3.8 ounces. 10.8 ounces off my pack weight.

Panzer1
09-20-2010, 23:25
your military issued camelback was designed to survive in a combat environment. The only way they can do that would be to make it heavy. The civilian version is much lighter, which it think is what you want to go with.

Panzer

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 23:37
your military issued camelback was designed to survive in a combat environment. The only way they can do that would be to make it heavy. The civilian version is much lighter, which it think is what you want to go with.

Panzer

My 3 Liter Camelbak without the cover is 9.1 ounces.
I'd consider the Platy but it's up to you.

CollegeEscape
09-20-2010, 23:39
Thank you all for the replies! I have never heard of the Platy before, but it makes total sense!

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 23:56
Thank you all for the replies! I have never heard of the Platy before, but it makes total sense!

It's actually more substantial than I expected, It looks like it would be a little flimsy but I was surprised, And considering it's half the price of a Camelbak, You're right it makes sense.

Turtle Feet
09-21-2010, 00:23
You'll be able to find light-weight packs that have an interior 'sleeve' to accommodate a bag like a Platypus. I'm carrying a Go Lite Jam backpack (2600 cu in), I'm sure if you google Go Lite Jam you can get a look. I bought it on sale last winter for about 40% off. You'll often find 'off-season' sales, just keep your eyes open.

As for nursing school - I feel your pain. It's been many, many years, but I still remember my struggles with A&P. Believe it or not, it actually gets a little easier the further you get into your program. Good luck with your decision. Just remember - life does gives us 'do-overs' ;D

TF

skinewmexico
09-21-2010, 10:09
Platypus rocks. But I've pretty muchly given it up for Dasani bottles.

sbhikes
09-21-2010, 11:46
I carried some kind of camelback or platypus the entire way on the PCT. Camelback, unbottle, 2-liters, 1-liter, 2.5 liters. I like the easy drinking. Eventually I think I liked the 1-liter size the best. Maybe it was psychological, but it just seemed easier to keep count of my remaining water and every time I switched the hose to a new bottle, it seemed like I was getting cooler, fresher water.

Make sure you bounce the cleaning kit in your bounce box so you can wash out the hose at least once along the way. Mine started to get a little black inside.

Moose2001
09-22-2010, 14:24
I've switched back to a Camelback after using a Platy for years. Platy's work well but after a few months, the top zipper on the Platy seems to get harder and harder to close. If it's cold, it's REALLY tough to get closed.

sbhikes
09-22-2010, 15:09
Zipper? Mine only have a bottle cap.

flemdawg1
09-29-2010, 11:03
Zipper? Mine only have a bottle cap.

http://www.rei.com/product/767105

McBride
10-15-2010, 18:23
I used a 2 liter platy and had to replace it at Delaware Water gap (to a 1.5 liter) due to it getting funky. It hung in the airspace of my osprey 50L atmos' pack suspension. I also carried 2 one liter powerade bottles (empty), that I used for chuggin at sources and for capacity in the evenings at camp, or it I had to hike a ways with water due to water scarcity (more prevalent in dry years, mine was one of the wettest).

from the article that I wrote (link below)

'Hydration:

This will be different for everyone. Personally I never carried more than 1 – 1.5 liters while hiking. I know some people that never carried water while hiking, and others that carried 3 – 4 liters, but that was not for me.
The idea is to fill and chug a gatorade bottle when you pass water sources throughout the day. I would fill up my platypus in the morning with a liter. Drink a liter with breakfast and any extra from filling up the night before. Drink from the water sources throughout the day and the platypus would last for the whole day usually.
I'd fill up 4 liters once at camp and use one for cooking, one for drinking at dinner, one for the morning, and one for the platy in the morning. I mention this because occasionally you'll have no water where you plan to camp and have to hike the 4 liters a mile or two to your destination (it happens sometimes, not if I could help it).'

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=57557