PDA

View Full Version : Free DIY-SPOT

paradoxb3
09-20-2010, 22:49
This year I completed my thru-hike of the AT (mar16-aug10) and along the way I encountered probably hundreds of SPOT users. I also see lots of SPOT talk on the forums. No offense to SPOT and SPOT owners, it’s a great device, it’s just a bit pricey, and I just felt like I should make those of you that are interested aware that there are ways you can easily “roll your own” SPOT-clone for free using your cell phone.

First, the hard way (how I did it – ugh!):
For my thru-hike, a friend and I set up a website running a behind-the-scenes shell script on the web server that routinely checked an email address for new messages. I would use an app on my windows mobile phone to grab the raw GPS coordinates and SMS (text) message the coordinates, as well as a short “Hi everybody, I’m here”-type message, to that email address, which the script would pick apart and appropriately plot my location and notes on a map on the website using Google Maps API. (www.devinhiking.com (http://www.devinhiking.com))

There’s an easier way:
After I finished my thru, I found out that there are free services available to do almost exactly what we had spent MONTHS programming, bug fixing, and testing. (Hey, we’re big geeks, and it was fun, ok?)

The first thing you will need is a GPS capable cell phone with a data package. (Likely if you are reading this, and interested in carrying a personal tracking device on your hike, you’ve already got a cell phone on your pack list.) Some compatible phones include but are not limited to Iphone, Andriod OS phones, Blackberry, Windows mobile phones, and a variety of pre-paid Motorola iDEN phones (primarily BOOST mobile service).

The second thing you will need is an account (free) on one of the following websites:
www.instamapper.com (http://www.instamapper.com) (has a Facebook application too)
www.mologogo.com (http://www.mologogo.com)
Both websites have detailed information and HOW-TO’s. I suggest you look them over thoroughly to decide which service works best for you and your device.

The third thing you will need to do is install the free service’s application on your phone. Follow the installation instructions provided by the service provider. It usually involves simply visiting a download link with your phone to begin the appropriate installation. Some phones may need to sync to a PC to copy the application to be installed.

Once you have the program on your phone, and have the service set up, launching the app will periodically check your GPS location and transmit it (this is where the data package comes in) over the web to their server, where it can be viewed on a map which you can share with friends/family. You can also embed the map on your blog or on Facebook. That’s it!

While implementing my own version of SPOT was a fun project (and props go to my friend Chris who did way more of the work than I did), I wish I had known of the free services available that can do basically the same thing, and for that I have to add this disclaimer: I have not used either of these services in the past, nor am I attempting to advertise for these service providers. I learned about them recently and thought I would pass the information along, in the hopes that it might help a future potential thru-hiker, or even the casual section-hiker save some cash while keeping your loved ones in the loop. Oh, and also, don’t hold me responsible if you break your phone! :D

In conclusion, if you’re thinking about a GPS tracking unit and are on the fence on whether or not to go with a SPOT, try one of the free ones first. If you have a compatible phone, then you have nothing to lose. Also, if you give the DIY-SPOT a try, post a reply or PM me and let me know how it worked for you!

-Caveman
AT 2010 GA-ME

SGT Rock
09-21-2010, 07:07
Cool idea.

garlic08
09-21-2010, 09:20
As I understand cell phone GPS systems, they use a combination of cell towers for triangulation and GPS satellites. I don't believe they work without a wireless connection, but I could be wrong. The SPOT system actually transmits to a satellite, not a cell tower, making it more applicable for truly remote locations (not the AT). What you came up with is a nice application for AT hikers, for sure.

SouthMark
09-21-2010, 10:39
The iPhone GPS does NOT need WiFi or cell towers. It does not need any kind of data transfer.

The data transfer is only for loading maps, which is unnecessary if your maps are saved on your device.

The use of cell towers only makes it faster than satellites alone.

paradoxb3
09-21-2010, 10:40
As I understand cell phone GPS systems, they use a combination of cell towers for triangulation and GPS satellites. I don't believe they work without a wireless connection, but I could be wrong. The SPOT system actually transmits to a satellite, not a cell tower, making it more applicable for truly remote locations (not the AT). What you came up with is a nice application for AT hikers, for sure.

You're correct in some cases. A few mobile phones use tower triangulation, or aGPS (assisted GPS) only, however others, such as the phone I carried on my hike, as well as most newer smartphones (iphone, droids, etc) have a true GPS module. I could take GPS readings even when i had no signal, and then transmit them via text when a signal was available. Check the service providers to see if your phone is listed.

The solutions above rely on transmitting that data over mobile broadband, so you're correct -- no signal, no updating. I'm aware that its not as reliable everywhere on the AT as a SPOT, and its not intended to double as a "send help quick!" device, however for the price (free) it makes a great alternative for those who wanna just check in with family when they're near/in a town and have a signal. Actually, I was suprised how more often than not (on verizon) I had service, and basic broadband, if not 3G when in the woods.

I'm a DIY type person, and I enjoy finding new ways to accomplish things. I'm sure there are many other hikers out there that are the same way, and I hope this helps someone!

sevensixtwo187
09-21-2010, 10:54
You're correct in some cases. A few mobile phones use tower triangulation, or aGPS (assisted GPS) only, however others, such as the phone I carried on my hike, as well as most newer smartphones (iphone, droids, etc) have a true GPS module. I could take GPS readings even when i had no signal, and then transmit them via text when a signal was available. Check the service providers to see if your phone is listed.

The solutions above rely on transmitting that data over mobile broadband, so you're correct -- no signal, no updating. I'm aware that its not as reliable everywhere on the AT as a SPOT, and its not intended to double as a "send help quick!" device, however for the price (free) it makes a great alternative for those who wanna just check in with family when they're near/in a town and have a signal. Actually, I was suprised how more often than not (on verizon) I had service, and basic broadband, if not 3G when in the woods.

I'm a DIY type person, and I enjoy finding new ways to accomplish things. I'm sure there are many other hikers out there that are the same way, and I hope this helps someone!

I am in the IT world and I must commend you on a very nice solution. I also think it is important to point out {As has been done} that your solution still relies on a Cell signal to actually get the updates out, whereas the SPOT will get the signal out via satellite whether there is cell service or not. Still, a very nice and clever solution.

Luddite
09-21-2010, 11:30
Great idea. Why do people bring those on the AT? Are they seriously scared of getting lost or do they just want their friends and family to be able to track their progress?

Shutterbug
09-21-2010, 11:39
Great idea. Why do people bring those on the AT? Are they seriously scared of getting lost or do they just want their friends and family to be able to track their progress?

I am an "early adapter", which means that I buy new technology as soon as it comes out. I bought one of the first SPOTs and now have the new Deloreme SPOT.

I have had the opportunity to discuss the SPOT with hundreds of users. None of them said that they were carrying them because they expected to need to be rescued. Most said that they carried them for the peace of mind of their relatives.

Personally, I carry one so that my family can feel like they are participating in my hikes. They check my web site several times a day to see where I am. I have never had to send a "help" message or a "911" message and don't expect to.

I am looking forward to using the new Deloreme SPOT which will allow me to send text messages. It will raise the SPOT experience to the next level.

sevensixtwo187
09-21-2010, 12:02

I don't know about just on the AT but I sure do carry mine in the Smokies and elsewhere. When it is just my 12 year old son and myself, it gives me a great piece of mind to know that if something happened to me, he could summon help. He is being trained on how to take care of himself BUT he is still only 12. That is my primary reason for carrying one. Be prepared is an excellent motto ...;)

10-K
09-21-2010, 12:06
Not to derail the thread but it wouldn't bother me if you carried your SPOT, cell phone, netbook, ipod and a Gameboy.

What someone else carries doesn't concern me in the least.

Luddite
09-21-2010, 12:11
Not to derail the thread but it wouldn't bother me if you carried your SPOT, cell phone, netbook, ipod and a Gameboy.

What someone else carries doesn't concern me in the least.

I don't care either. I was just curious about why people carry them. If my parents knew anything about technology they would want me to carry one of these things but I'm not gunna let em know about it. lol

paradoxb3
09-21-2010, 13:01
Great idea. Why do people bring those on the AT?

I have had the opportunity to discuss the SPOT with hundreds of users. None of them said that they were carrying them because they expected to need to be rescued. Most said that they carried them for the peace of mind of their relatives.

This was the reason probably 99% of hikers I met were carrying SPOTs. As most of you know, the AT is a very social trail, and even when you're not hiking in a group, during peak seasons at least you're likely to be less than a mile from someone, or MANY someones. Getting urgent rescue didn't really seem to be anyones concern. I know of several hikers this year taken off the trail because of fall injuries but to my knowlege, they were either assisted off the trail by fellow hikers, or used a phone to call for help.

I could see the rescue feature of SPOT being a good thing in more remote areas, but its likely overkill on the AT. So for that 99% wanting to keep family posted, the phone DIY is a great alternative. I may start playing with the instamapper/mologogo and see how it works around town, but if anyone tries it out on some hikes I'd love to know. If it works well enough for a few people, I think this thread could be worthy of becoming an article. I don't know how that works, just my 2/100s.

sbhikes
09-21-2010, 13:06
I like your home-grown shell script idea better than the "easier" way. Shows more ingenuity. Yay geeks!

nowls
05-31-2011, 19:22
Sorry for resurrecting such an old post. I was wondering if the OP was willing to make his scripted GPS web backend scripts, etc. open source?

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 20:33
spot only saves lives when lives are at stake. the entire rest of the time they are useless, heavy, costly, and marketed to the fearfull. run this algurythm if you will.

the distance from the victim to the resquer
the distance from the victim to the nearest hiker able to help or call for help
the net time alone in mountains too far from any help to be summoned with anything but a cell or spot
the net time alone in mountains the victim is within signaling distance of a hiker who can help or summon help.
the ambiant humidity and backround noises combined with the topographys ability to allow sound to travel
the known average decible level of an acme thunderer whistle blown by the victim
the percentage of times a whistle of this type can not summon help compared to the number of times a spot or cell cannot.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 20:41
i belive if tests were conducted. the acme thunderer whistle would summon help faster, easilyer and in more diverse condishions than the spot or cell. and the time response difference i belive would acount for many more saved lives over time. also, everyone can afford a whistle.

in the event a hiker falls and breaks a leg and is at risk of shock, other hikers may be within whistleshot, but no responder to a cell call or a spot alert would be dispatched as quickly. and, if the victim used the time after a spot alert was sent to blow the whistle, help could only arrive sooner. to use a spot before useing a whistle slows down response times for emergencys by the factor of how often a spot alert is sent when not needed by virtue of its user being too dependent on such a thing. whereas, a whistle isnt blown untill needed in most every case. a whistle puts out a distress call in every direction summoning all manner of would be resquer. a spot alerts teams of proffessionals who must travel to the victim rather than maby just trot down the trail.

Bear Cables
05-31-2011, 23:01

I take a SPOT along with me because it makes my husband feel better about me and my sister hiking. I can send the check in message each evening and he knows all is well. He also knows we can signal for help in an emergency. I know w are OK but being at home he needs that assurance.

mweinstone
05-31-2011, 23:10
i understand that but it aint what i want in a relationship. i want my woman to have a whistle, and a hubby at home whos not worried and can wait till the week ends to get a call once in a while from a trailside phone. and i want that hubby not to worry but to brag about his womans proweless. mrs gorp dont need no spot. neither does anyone. fear sales is all it is. more bending to the will of the criminal. scared folks with spots are better marks than whistle blowers. and any woman can learn more about self protection than they know now. its a fact of learning. and of women. men dont need to be concerned one single bit about being attacked. its all cause its the way things are. and these things must change. their is absolutly not a single reason a woman need feer for her safty if properly learned up on all sides. self defence. screeming. whisteling. running. not being alone. leaving time control plans with friends. haveing a cell and wearing a face of fearlessness put a woman on par with a mans lack of fear.

paradoxb3
06-01-2011, 11:11
nowls -- i will see if i can get ahold of my friend that still has all the stuff... i dont know him IRL.

mweinstone -- the whole purpose of this was never about backwoods rescue. it was about sharing my thru-hike progress with my family and friends. i thought i made that very clear. if you dont need/dont want/dont believe in/religion forbids the use of/dislike/or are a marketing compeditor of SPOT, thats why i said in the first paragraph of the short tutorial "I just felt like I should make those of you that are interested aware that there are ways you can easily “roll your own” SPOT-clone for free using your cell phone."