PDA

View Full Version : Base layer recommendations

cotter
09-20-2010, 22:58
Hey all,

I am planning a NOBO thru for 2011 and am basically picking up gear as I need it for training trips, starting with the Presidential Range in the Whites this weekend. I'm wondering if people have recommendations for clothing up there this time of year, and general comments on base layers for thru hiking. So far the Patagonia Capilene stuff keeps coming up.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, esp. from veterans... thanks - Cotter

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 23:15
The Patagonia is popular but so is wool like the merino wool products, Smartwool, Icebreaker etc... Patagonia offers a wool product as well.
I live about 10 miles from Mount Washington, At 7:00am this morning it was cold enough outside to wear a fleece or midweight jacket. Pretty much see your breath temps at night and early morning.

Mountain Wildman
09-20-2010, 23:16
I've switched from T-Shirts to Long Sleeve T-Shirts.
Just checked the weather site, It was 31 degrees this morning
and it is 42 right now.

JAK
09-21-2010, 00:21
I think base-layer is a misnomer, because a skin-layer is not needed most of the time on multiday hikes, expecially section hikes lasting several weeks. It is better to wear a looser midlayer most days, with shorts and bae legs, and only add the skin-layers underneath the loose layer on the coldest days. Something to think about.

Cheap polyester like capilene is a good choice though, for a skin layer that will spend most of its time getting kicked around the pack, waiting to be worn, because it is durable and doesn't absorb water. Wool would be a better choice though if you were going to hold be wearing it as sleep wear on coldest nights, and packing it in your sleeping bag or pillow case on warmer nights. It manages moisture better. You just need to wear it outside on nice days to dry it back out now and then. That way the moisture from you skin still keeps you warm, warmer and more comfortably than a VBL, and still doesn't build up in your sleeping bag.

bigcranky
09-21-2010, 08:02
I like lightweight wool base layers. Better temperature regulation and they never stink. More expensive than most synthetics, though.

Grinder
09-21-2010, 12:20
as a major frug, I prefer the polypro thermal underwear .

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Military-Polypropylene-Top-Bottom-Combo-P13610.aspx

If it's mild they are just my PJs. if it's cold I wear them full time. In between they go on and off as required, like the pant legs of my convertible cargo pants.

Don H
09-21-2010, 21:25
I like lightweight wool base layers. Better temperature regulation and they never stink. More expensive than most synthetics, though.

So my new Patagonia Capilene is gonna stink?

bigcranky
09-21-2010, 21:38
Well, not sure about your Capilene on you, but synthetics on me smell pretty bad. I think it varies some with different people.

aaronthebugbuffet
09-21-2010, 21:40
So my new Patagonia Capilene is gonna stink?
They have Gladiodor. lol
But yeah they will still stink.
By the way I've seen a lot of hiking stink discussion lately. What's the deal? I hike and I stink.

roycroft
09-21-2010, 22:41
I like merino wool. It's expensive but well worth the investment. I buy it "off" season. Summer weight in the fall on sale and winter weight in the spring on sale. I have also purchased pre-owned merino on eBay with good luck. Lastly, it is true that it does not stink.

skinewmexico
09-22-2010, 00:10
Starter at Walmart. Or Terramar at SAC. And wool will stink much less.

leaftye
09-22-2010, 04:26
I think base-layer is a misnomer, because a skin-layer is not needed most of the time on multiday hikes, expecially section hikes lasting several weeks. It is better to wear a looser midlayer most days, with shorts and bae legs, and only add the skin-layers underneath the loose layer on the coldest days. Something to think about.

Yep. Unless it's more than a dozen degrees below freezing, there's no need for a skin layer if walking faster is a possibility. A wind shirt or highly breathable rain jacket can do a lot to extend comfort in freezing temps. Then you only need a lightweight puffy layer for breaks and camp.

Now if you just want the skin layer to be more comfortable on a leisurely hike, or want to boost your skin out weight by another pound, then it's the way to go. I can tell you that synthetic gets quite stinky, especially when it's too cold to want to take a good sponge bath or do laundry. I haven't tried them yet, but you should check out Minus33. Good prices. I've only read favorable things about them.

fiddlehead
09-22-2010, 05:21
as a major frug, I prefer the polypro thermal underwear .

http://www.majorsurplus.com/Military-Polypropylene-Top-Bottom-Combo-P13610.aspx

If it's mild they are just my PJs. if it's cold I wear them full time. In between they go on and off as required, like the pant legs of my convertible cargo pants.

Here's some at a better price.
They are WARM! (http://warmstuff.com/product_info.php?cPath=52&products_id=176)

sojo
09-28-2010, 18:55
What would be considered a lightweight puffy.....I don't think I have anything "puffy"??? sojo:confused:

Mountain Wildman
09-28-2010, 19:01
What would be considered a lightweight puffy.....I don't think I have anything "puffy"??? sojo:confused:

A Down Filled Jacket like the Montbell EX Light, 5.7 oz. for size medium:
http://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=70&p_id=2301344

bigcranky
09-28-2010, 19:04
A synthetic or down filled jacket, usually with a nylon shell and liner. A down sweater, or one of the Patagonia Micropuff or Nanopuff jackets, that sort of thing.

4eyedbuzzard
09-28-2010, 21:23
Face it, thru-hikers reek no matter what they wear. Ask anyone working at a post office or store along the trail. Nothing can be done about it unless you are going to somehow bathe everyday after hiking. Just deal with the fact that you are going to smell. No big deal, just part of hiking.

Erin
09-28-2010, 22:15
Here is what helped on our section two weeks ago...
Magellan panties for us ladies, the exofficios...way cheaper ordered on line. They wick well. Dry on a safety pin or caribiner on the pack. Sold! since they do not ride up. Ever.
I splurged for merino wool top and bottom. Lightweight bottoms and heavier top. They really don't stink like the synthetics. Merino is on the clearance racks now at REI. Merino is pricier but I am replacing my base layer from 10 years ago so worth it.