PDA

View Full Version : Dawson Forest -Atlanta Tract

mister krabs
09-21-2010, 09:16
I heard a story on the local news this morning that the City of Atlanta was proposing a reservoir in the Dawson Forest. I'd like to check out the forest before it is gone.

It looks like there are several hiking and multiuse trails in the WMA, has anyone here ever hiked it? Looks like it would be a nice close spot for an overnight adventure.

Pedaling Fool
09-21-2010, 09:38
Is this a fix to the major water issue of Atlanta?

mister krabs
09-21-2010, 09:50
Supposedly. The water issue has become even more complicated with last year's court ruling that disallowed the city getting water from lake lanier. The new reservoir is projected to be 2000 of the 10000 acres of the WMA. An adventure there could be along the lines of James Dickey's last run on the coosawattee that he took before he wrote Deliverance! ;)

mister krabs
09-21-2010, 10:55
http://www.ajc.com/news/dawson-forest-a-new-615371.html

bloodmountainman
09-21-2010, 16:27
I heard a story on the local news this morning that the City of Atlanta was proposing a reservoir in the Dawson Forest. I'd like to check out the forest before it is gone.

It looks like there are several hiking and multiuse trails in the WMA, has anyone here ever hiked it? Looks like it would be a nice close spot for an overnight adventure.

The trails in that area are mostly bicycle and horse trails. I would not camp there EVER! There are some bad people who use this place! I have seen signs of teenage devil worship, This is also where the bodies of Levi Frady and Meridith Emerson were found.
This area was once owned by Lockheed and had some nuclear stuff going on. There are some old buildings there that have been fenced off and flooded. Possible radiation hazard in some areas.

mister krabs
09-22-2010, 07:16
Well then, guess I'll go with my biking buddies instead of my son. Maybe I'll bring the fishing pole too.