PDA

View Full Version : Upper Goose Pond Cabin

Prettywoman0172
09-21-2010, 10:12
Is the cabin attended and open during the week right now?

Thank you!

A

Slo-go'en
09-21-2010, 10:53
Most likely. You could go to the AMC web site and find out for sure!

Slo-go'en
09-21-2010, 11:09
I did the research for you - Upper Goose pond is only open on weekends during the spring (before Memorial day) and fall (after Labor day).

10-K
09-21-2010, 11:36
Can you still camp near the cabin even if it's closed?

I remember hiking through there and seeing the "No camping" signs as I got close to the traiil to the cabin thinking, "Man, this would sure be a great place to pitch a tent...".

Lone Wolf
09-21-2010, 11:38

I remember hiking through there and seeing the "No camping" signs as I got close to the traiil to the cabin thinking, "Man, this would sure be a great place to pitch a tent...".

there's some tent platforms. i've stealthed there too

Prettywoman0172
09-21-2010, 11:42
Much thanks!

I did the research for you - Upper Goose pond is only open on weekends during the spring (before Memorial day) and fall (after Labor day).

B Thrash
09-21-2010, 21:23

They were closing down the day I got there, was told that I could sleep on the front porch. The people that was running the cabin left me pancake mix so I could have pancakes the next morning.

Blue Jay
09-22-2010, 15:18

Those signs are to keep you from camping near the lake. I x-country ski there each winter and camp out on the porch.

Grampie
09-23-2010, 09:34
Upper Goose Pond Cabin is open all week until it closes on Oct. 17.
At one time it was closed , during the week, after Labor day but now it's open all week.

FarmerChef
08-23-2012, 15:33
Stayed here last week and had a blast of a time. Peggy, the week's caretaker, was wonderfully friendly and managed the large group of Thrus and section hikers well. Our kids enjoyed helping her make and serve breakfast and it was a super treat to enjoy wonderfully warm and fluffy pancakes with syrup and hot coffee. Unfortunately, there weren't any blueberries at the Cookie Lady and thus none for the pancakes but we didn't mind.

The lake was beautiful and the kids got to take a swim, a first on one of our hikes. You could hear my 7 year old giggle in the cool water all the way up at the cabin. We also enjoyed the washing station for dishes with separate soapy, clean and clean basins plus scrub brushes and drying racks. Truly a great stop not to be missed.

Lady Grey
08-23-2012, 17:34
I was there earlier this month (when the blueberries were in season) and it's a wonderful spot. Great swimming pond, lovely cabin, nice caretakers, and the pancakes were great. A really fun place to stay in MA. Also camped one night in the Cookie Lady's yard and that was equally great!

trovar
10-21-2012, 04:40
One of the best shelters on the entire trail, for sure.

Cosmo
10-23-2012, 19:42
UGPC closed for the season this Sunday (October 21st). Camping permitted on the porch and tent platforms. Re-opening the weekend before Memorial Day 2013.

We had 1525 guests this past season. Highest total we have on record (last season was 1396). Busiest day this year was Aug 4th with 48 guests.

Cosmo

WingedMonkey
10-23-2012, 20:31
Busiest day this year was Aug 4th with 48 guests.

That's just scary.
Any idea how many of those were just hiking to the cabin and not more trail?

Jeff
10-24-2012, 05:59
August 4th was a Saturday...but that timeframe is the peak thruhiker season for us here in Vermont.

srestrepo
01-03-2013, 15:11
does anyone know if they allow catch and release fishing using non live bait on the pond? i love going up there and and just getting away from stuff, but i've seen some of the fish and would hate to offend someone if it was not permissible.

p.s. i'd definitely be fishing away from the so as to eliminate the potential of leaving any hooks or anyting anywhere near any barefoot hikers.

Cosmo
01-03-2013, 22:01
In theory, you need a fishing license (this IS Massachuetts, after all). That said, I've seen plenty of hikers fishing there--there are a couple of fishing rods at the cabin--not sure what shape they are in.

Cosmo

SwissGuy
05-20-2013, 15:32
The fishing rods are reel-less, however when I was there (camping on the porch during the storms last week) I attached 9 feet of line (paracord innards) to one and left plenty of excess hanging on a nail for extending it or doing another. There is a popper lure hanging on the leftmost porch post. Passed an hour with it, so it was worth the cordage.

Dogwood
05-20-2013, 19:53
Camp on front porch. Nice in season with pancakes, canoe use(used for recreation and obtaining water at a spring across the lake), not far from store by driving, swimming, good caretakers, scenic, etc

Cosmo
05-20-2013, 21:35
Cabin opened for 2013 this past Saturday (May 18).

Cosmo

Tinker
05-20-2013, 23:20
Camp on front porch. Nice in season with pancakes, canoe use(used for recreation and obtaining water at a spring across the lake), not far from store by driving, swimming, good caretakers, scenic, etc

Not much room on the porch with other hikers coming and going.
There are tentsites behind the cabin up a small hill past the washing station and several other platforms along the blue blazed side trail leading to the cabin.
Bear boxes are located at the cabin and the platforms on the blue blazed trail and directly behind the cabin.

Cosmo
10-01-2013, 20:43
As of Wednesday October 3rd , the Cabin will be closed. The National Park Service has ordered all A.T. Facilities closed until the government shutdown is resolved. It is not clear wether we will reopen before the planned closing date of October 20.

Cosmo

ChinMusic
10-01-2013, 21:01
UGP is a place I could see myself coming back to as a volunteer caretaker. I can make pancakes.

FarmerChef
10-01-2013, 21:12
I loved our stay at UGP. Sadly the blueberries were all picked out so no blueberries in our pancakes but they were otherwise hot and delicious. :D The caretaker was fabulous.

mrcoffeect
10-02-2013, 08:49
one of the caretakers there gave me my trailname.
in 2010.:)

Cosmo
10-21-2013, 09:41
UGP Cabin is now closed for the season. We were able to briefly open it this weekend after the A.T. was "re-opened". We buttoned it up for the season yesterday, but hikers are welcome to use the tent platforms or the front porch. Please don't use your stove on the front porch, there is a covered cook area behind the cabin. Here's a photo of the "beach" area after we pulled in the dock.24570

Cosmo

grnmtngirl
10-29-2013, 17:36
I hope that record number of folks donated more than the average of $3 per guest!

UGPC closed for the season this Sunday (October 21st). Camping permitted on the porch and tent platforms. Re-opening the weekend before Memorial Day 2013.

We had 1525 guests this past season. Highest total we have on record (last season was 1396). Busiest day this year was Aug 4th with 48 guests.

Cosmo

Cosmo
05-10-2014, 22:30
We'll be opening the Cabin next Saturday, May 17th. If you want to help out, send me a PM.

Cosmo