PDA

View Full Version : Recipe Sneak Preview - Energy Bars

LaurieAnn
09-21-2010, 10:21
Here are two bar recipes from my upcoming book, Another Fork in the Trail. Please note that these recipes haven't been through the final edit phase for wording but they have been tested quite thoroughly.

About Dates: Do not use the cooking dates that traditionally come in a brick for this. You want high quality dates such as medjool or honey dates that are loosely packed.

Spiced Date, Cherry, Almond and Carob Bars
©2009 Laurie Ann March

Makes 8 to 10 bars

This version of my date bars was inspired by the Mayan Hot Chocolate in my first book, A Fork in the Trail. I love the little bit of background spice from the cayenne. Just make sure you use it sparingly or your camp mates may be in for a surprise!

1 cup dates such as medjool or honey dates
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/8 cup carob or cocoa powder
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
a tiny pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
3/4 cup whole salted almonds

Pulse the dates in a food processor with 1/4 cup of the dried cherries, carob powder and spices until the mixture is ground to a thick paste. Toast the almonds, if desired, in a dry non-stick frying pan over medium heat just until they start to become fragrant. Be careful that you do not burn them. Add to the dates and pulse to chop the nuts. Remove the container from the food processor and take out the blade. Stir in the remainder of the dried cherries. Line a square baking pan with plastic wrap and press the mixture firmly into the pan. Refrigerate for an hour and then turn out onto a cutting board. Remove the wrap and cut into 8 to 10 bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and reshape by pressing each side on a flat surface if desired.

Tip: Wipe your knife with a hot water soaked paper towel between cuts to prevent it from sticking. You can reuse the piece of wrap you lined the pan with to wrap your bars.

and...

Date, Pecan, Blueberry and Ginger Bars
©2009 Laurie Ann March

Makes 8 to 10 bars

The first time I made date bars was when I was a young girl taking a 4-H outdoor living course. As an adult, I wanted to add a little something to the recipe and I've always loved candied ginger. It gives these a nice bite, which livens the tastebuds.

1 cup dates such as medjool or honey dates
3/4 cup pecans
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1/8 cup candied ginger, chopped

Pulse the dates in a food processor until you have a thick paste. Toast the pecans, if desired, in a dry non-stick frying pan over medium heat just until they start to become fragrant. Be careful that you do not burn them. Add to the dates and pulse to chop the nuts. Remove the container from the food processor and take out the blade. Stir in the dried blueberries and candied ginger. Line a square baking pan with plastic wrap and press the mixture firmly into the pan. Refrigerate for an hour and then turn out onto a cutting board. Remove the wrap and cut into 8 to 10 bars. Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and reshape by pressing each side on a flat surface if desired.

Tip: Wipe your knife with a hot water soaked paper towel between cuts to prevent it from sticking. You can reuse the piece of wrap you lined the pan with to wrap your bars. 

http://www.outdooradventurecanada.com/food/laurie-bars.jpg

JEBjr
09-21-2010, 14:54
Those look great. Thanks for sharing.

LaurieAnn
09-21-2010, 16:10
Those look great. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks. I posted this on Facebook (the fan page for my book) when I put the recipe up...

"The nice thing about these recipes is that you can easily change the flavors by switching up the fruit and nuts. For example, the Date, Pecan, Blueberry and Ginger Bars could easily become Date, Pistachio, Peach and Ginger Bars."

Bags4266
09-21-2010, 18:28
Very cool name on your book! Good luck

LaurieAnn
09-21-2010, 19:14
Very cool name on your book! Good luck

Thanks... I'm really proud of it. Thanks for the "good luck" as well. The first book is doing well and I'm sure the second one will do fine too. This cooking thing is more of a passion for me than a monetary thing. That said, there is something kind of neat seeing your book do well and getting emails from people saying that they enjoyed the recipes on their trip. It's neat to see where they've taken the food.

I came up with the name after going through days of brainstorming. I finally gave up and set the list of 100 or so lame ideas aside. The ones that weren't lame, like Moveable Feasts, were already taken. So I went to bed completely disappointed and frustrated and woke up at 2 am with the name, A Fork in the Trail. I loved it but was positive that there must have been another cookbook using the name. There I was at 2 am Google searching the name out. Low and behold I would be the first to use it. I woke Bryan up at about 3 am with a "I've got it! The perfect name!" At the time he didn't have quite as much exuberance as I did - lol. I don't see why he wasn't all gung-ho at 3 am... really. :D

Another Fork in the Trail just seemed fitting for the second book and thankfully my publisher agreed.

WinterWarlock
09-21-2010, 19:54
These look great, but I'm having a hard time finding your FB page...can you post the link please?

ebandlam
09-21-2010, 21:04
Ms. LaurieAnn,

First and foremost these bars look absolutely fantastic!! Best wishes to you on your new book. Will have to get it. Did you by any chance document the nutritional values on the foods you have in the book?

Thanks

LaurieAnn
09-22-2010, 09:17
These look great, but I'm having a hard time finding your FB page...can you post the link please?

Thanks... I hope this works... http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Fork-in-the-Trail/21536648187

Ms. LaurieAnn,

First and foremost these bars look absolutely fantastic!! Best wishes to you on your new book. Will have to get it. Did you by any chance document the nutritional values on the foods you have in the book?

Thanks

Thank you.

I didn't include nutritional values because in some of the recipes values can vary by choice of ingredients. I don't find the programs for calculating are all that accurate and I am not a certified nutritionist. That said, most backpackers have a decent idea of what fuel a recipe can provide. Finally, my managing editor didn't think it necessary.

Spokes
09-22-2010, 11:30
Yikes! Candied/Crystalized ginger is really expensive (up to $17 for 8 oz. of Organic Chinese). Do you make your own LaurieAnn?

LaurieAnn
09-22-2010, 13:14
Yikes! Candied/Crystalized ginger is really expensive (up to $17 for 8 oz. of Organic Chinese). Do you make your own LaurieAnn?

Wow... if I were having to pay that much I would make my own. It is easy to do. I buy mine in the baking aisle of a store up here called Zehrs (part of the Loblaws Corp) and it comes in a little tub for $2.99. That gives me enough to make about 3 batches of the bars.

What I buy looks like this... http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Crystalized-Ginger-lb-oz/dp/B000G818BQ/ref=pd_sbs_gro_3

Edited to add... incidentally it's pretty yummy dipped in chocolate. I did a Ginger Cashew Bark recipe for the first book. Totally craveable.