PDA

View Full Version : hiking the tuscarora trail

colorado josh
09-21-2010, 22:49
i am considering doing some miles on the a.t. and picking up the tuscarora trail in calendonia state park. does any body have any info on the tuscarora trail in that area- shelters or good water supplies. any info is helpful, thanks

ki0eh
09-22-2010, 07:23
Here's a previous thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44404) on the Tuscarora. Since then some newer maps have come out for the PA section. There is a new guide for the south half (old Big Blue), I haven't seen yet a new guide in print for the north half, but I don't check every week.

The TT does not intersect the AT at Caledonia - they are a county apart at that point (US 30). I suppose you could try to hitch over through Chambersburg. North of US 30 the TT has 3 shelters fairly widely spaced apart to just past Colonel Denning SP but after that there is a long-term closure PATC folks have been working on. (Maybe why the north half guide hasn't come out yet.)

The section north of Cowans Gap in Allens Valley is about the only good water availability on the PA Tuscarora - otherwise it's dry rocky ridges. The Fowlers Hollow area where there is a shelter is a limited exception in an area where the TT goes over 4 ridges in quick succession.

C Seeker
09-27-2010, 18:27
I have only hiked little sections of it on weekend trip and only in va and W.Va. But I do know someone who just completed the whole trail, he made the comment that parts of the trail were lacking blazes, and was hard to follow. So you should always have a map and compass with you. Also some of the streams you have to cross can get pretty high and unsafe to cross, so you have to find a better route.

I'm not sure of much more problems you may run into, and also about the water we have been going though a drought so water may be a little low, so just carry a extra bottle with you incase you run into some problems.

Happy Hiking!

tuswm
10-01-2010, 03:30
when I was looking at this trail, it looked like much of the trail was just dirt roads. well thats what the map looked like. but has anyone here hiked it? I want to be wrong