PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Boot Suggestions?

nitegaunt
09-22-2010, 01:45
I have looked at the main categories on the forum and I don't see one that's just for posts concerning gear. If there is one please let me know I'm looking over it and feel free to move this thread to the appropriate place.

My question concerns boots for backpacking with about 25-30 pounds on my back. I am not into shoes or trail runners. I actually like a boot that has a little support around the ankle. Plus, I like to have something that keeps sticks, rock, and water out as much as possible. That said, I'm not interested in really high boots either. Just the standard height hiking boot. So, what I am looking for is a boot that's decent for all seasons and pretty light. My current boots are Vasque Rangers. They are a gor-tex boot and they weigh about three pounds. I like them for day hikes but they aren't very comfortable with any weight on my back over more than about 7 or 8 miles. So what would you guys and gals suggest? I was looking at the Sundowner but it's a little heavier than these and I just don't know. Is there a boot under three pounds intended for fairly lightweight backpacking (25-30lbs)?

IronGutsTommy
09-22-2010, 01:58
i fell in love with Asolo fugitive GTX's, but im no expert. may i suggest you search the word "boots" under the ultralight gear section forum?

nitegaunt
09-22-2010, 02:05
Didn't see that section at the main page. I'll look again. I tried a search for boots from the main page but as you can imagine a list as long as the AT came up!

nitegaunt
09-22-2010, 02:15
Ok, I found it with advanced search. I checked out some of the threads but didn't see that many actual brand/model suggestions. I'll look some more but if, in the meantime, anyone wants to add a suggestion it would be appreciated. Sorry for posting in the wrong place btw.

leaftye
09-22-2010, 03:52
Ankle support in boots is a bunch of bs. They do little to nothing to prevent ankle injuries. They might actually promote more ankle injuries by making it feel okay to step on pointy rocks that would normally hurt in trail runners, but then your foot falls or slides off and bends. Even if this doesn't hurt initially, do this enough and you'll eventually hurt your ankle. That's exactly how I hurt my ankle this year...bad enough to kick me off the trail and for it to still not be 100% yet.

Now if you want boots to prevent toe stubs, to walk more comfortably on scree (note above), prevent scrapes to the upper and sides, and kick steps in icy snow, then you're doing it for the right reason. Oh, as to the scrapes. My Asolo boots have many scrapes on both sides for all the ankle turning. After injuring my ankle and taking a few weeks off I switched to trail runners. It still hurt my ankle, but wasn't any worse than the boots. I have almost no scrapes along the sides of the trail runners, which indicates that I turned my ankle much less.

If you're just looking for high tops and goretex, then look at the Inov-8 Roclite 390. If you also want more abrasion protection, then look at the Inov Roclite 400. Both models weigh under a pound.

bulldog49
09-22-2010, 07:58
[QUOTE=leaftye;1052248]Ankle support in boots is a bunch of bs. They do little to nothing to prevent ankle injuries. They might actually promote more ankle injuries by making it feel okay to step on pointy rocks that would normally hurt in trail runners, but then your foot falls or slides off and bends. Even if this doesn't hurt initially, do this enough and you'll eventually hurt your ankle. That's exactly how I hurt my ankle this year...bad enough to kick me off the trail and for it to still not be 100% yet.

NONSENSE!

10-K
09-22-2010, 08:39
[QUOTE=leaftye;1052248]Ankle support in boots is a bunch of bs. They do little to nothing to prevent ankle injuries. They might actually promote more ankle injuries by making it feel okay to step on pointy rocks that would normally hurt in trail runners, but then your foot falls or slides off and bends. Even if this doesn't hurt initially, do this enough and you'll eventually hurt your ankle. That's exactly how I hurt my ankle this year...bad enough to kick me off the trail and for it to still not be 100% yet.

NONSENSE!

It's true... Ankle support isn't provided by "hiking boots" because they don't have a stiff enough ankle. What a "hiking boot" provides with a higher ankle is keeping stuff like rocks and sticks out of your shoes.

Any boot that provides good ankle support isn't one you'd want to hike in, that's for sure.

JAK
09-22-2010, 08:45
There are times that you do need ankle support. It is partly a function of pack weight, but not just pack weight. It is also largely dependant on how much excess body weight you are carrying, how strong your ankles and feet are, perhaps age and gender, history of turned ankles, ground conditions, how many hours a day you will be hiking, how fast you will be going, whether you will be hiking after dark, whether or not you use hiking stick or a hiking staff or whether there are trees to grab hold of.

It is true that you can become overly dependant on boots with ankle support when you use them excessively, but it is nonsense to say that ankle support in boots and a bunch of BS. Everyone should be able to envision a situation where they might need more ankle support and should consider hiking boots or avoid such situations; and also situations where they can get away with much less ankle support that heavy hiking boots offer, and perhaps should try to wear something lighter in those situations to develop stronger ankles.

I have some light ankle boots that weight 1 pound each in size 12, and they offer considerable ankle support if I tie them up a little extra snug when needed. They are not that much heavier than alot of trail runners. There are alot of hiking boots that are excessively heavy though for the amount of support they provide. Get the support and protection you think you need, but still keep the weight down as much as possible. Also, if you are prone to injury, you should seriously work on reducing your pack weight and excess body weight, especially as you get older. I'm working on getting my weight back down to 165-170 before I turn 50.

JAK
09-22-2010, 08:51
Most of the time I hike in running flats that weigh 6oz each, offer no support at all.
Both my hiking boots and running flats have a relatively low sole though. There is some cushion and protection there, more in the boot, but I try to keep the extra height to the minimal needed for cushion and protection because excess make turning you ankle more likely and more damaging. There are alot of bad running shoes and trail runners and hiking boots out there. You have to be careful what you wear.

JAK
09-22-2010, 09:03
[QUOTE=bulldog49;1052287]

It's true... Ankle support isn't provided by "hiking boots" because they don't have a stiff enough ankle. What a "hiking boot" provides with a higher ankle is keeping stuff like rocks and sticks out of your shoes.

Any boot that provides good ankle support isn't one you'd want to hike in, that's for sure.
This is generally true. Most hiking boots on the market are poorly designed.
Same can be said of most trail runners and running shoes.

I have soft leather ankle boots that provide ankle support when I snug them up. They are about the same height as hockey skates, without the extra protective flap in the back. They don't have any padding, but they are comfortable with thin wool socks as well as thicker wool socks. I usually wear them just for a change, but they are comfortable, but in a different way than my running flats and trail runners. They are particularly good in snow, and for bushwacking. I can be a little more reckless with them. Not much, just enough. I can't run in them so well, but I can still work my ankles a little, and I can loosen them when I don't need the support for preventing ankle turns.

I don't see anything on the market like them though. Most are garbage.

Mags
09-22-2010, 09:12
[QUOTE=bulldog49;1052287]

Ski boots provide excellent ankle support...hiking in them would be..interesting. :)

http://media.rei.com/media/yy/4a933d87-344b-424c-9580-b9cdf2e2b939.jpg

JAK
09-22-2010, 09:22
The OP is asking about LIGHT hiking boots, under 3 pounds, for ankle support.
Mine weight 1 pound each in size 12, so they DO exist.
I don't see anything like mine on the market though.

The are gortex lined on the inside. Other than that, just the leather.
I would be just as happy with them without the gortex, but its ok.
I need to resole them again though. I will use a trail runner tread.
The leather is holding up really well. The stitching goes now and then.
They might be 10-15 years old, maybe more, not sure.

The brand name on them is H.M.O. ???

nitegaunt
09-22-2010, 13:00
In my original post I said that I would like a little ankle support but my other reason for high top boots is that I don't like sticks, rocks, and snow getting in my boots. Mostly though, I wanted to find a lightweight boot that is still good for backpacking as opposed to hiking. The Vasque Ranger boots I have now are marketed as hiking boots and I see why when I carry a pack for 40 miles or so. They aren't very comfortable with a little weight on my back. Like I also said, I don't carry a lot. Usually no more than about 25 pounds but it seems to make a difference in the comfort of a hiking boot. So, is there a difference in what is marketed as hiking and what is called backpacking?

JAK
09-22-2010, 13:40
I don't like the term backpacking, because it overemphasizes gear,
but in marketing it means the same as hiking, more or less.
At least there is a considerable overlap between the two terms.

Anyhow, I wouldn't obsess with categories and terminology. You have to first accept the fact that 99% of footwear is crap, whether it is running flats, trail runners, light hikers, hiking boots, mountaineering boots, whatever. You can only compare good stuff to good stuff. You should try to find something good in more than one category, and then compare. You shouldn't need something that heavy for all your hiking though, even with a 30 pound pack, especially if you say you are looking more for comfort than support.

You have to become your own expert. There are too many variables and way too much crap out there to make any general statements, other than that light or heavy, most are crap.

RevLee
09-22-2010, 13:54
If you are concerned about debris in your shoes, try a pair of gaitors. I use them with trail runners for backpacking and hiking. Mountain Laurel Designs and Integral Designs both make ones that weigh under 3 oz.

JAK
09-22-2010, 14:07
You can also make gaiters out of soft leather, or fleece, or wool socks.
If you make fleece shorts from fleece pants you can make gaiters from the legs.

The real challenge with gaiters is how they attach to the shoe. Differet thread maybe.

One of my favourite tricks is to use knee socks, which you can either get as thin wool dress socks, or as heavy wool ski socks. Anyhow, for this trick I like the thin wool dress socks. Pull them up, fold them back down over your shoe. If they are long enough knee socks that should leave them about 1/3 way up to the knee. Works well barelegged, or with pants.

sbhikes
09-22-2010, 14:21
Dirty girl gaiters. You can make your own, too, out of bathing suit fabric.

I think the best thing to do in regards to boots is to just go try some on. It's hard to give brand-specific recommendations because we all have different feet.

I think there is a bit of ankle support in high-top shoes. I've noticed the strenthening required of my ankles as I've hiked in sandals instead. Sometimes my ankles have been sore after a long day. A good sore that indicates they are getting stronger. Ankle support is another way of saying ankle atrophy support.

Moose2001
09-22-2010, 14:32
I've used the Vasque Breeze for three thru hikes. Comfortable right out of the box with no break in time. Good for about 800-1000 miles...YMMV. Just make sure you buy the NON-gortex model. A bit harder to find than the GTX (gortex) model.

JAK
09-22-2010, 15:16
Dirty girl gaiters. You can make your own, too, out of bathing suit fabric.So what should I use for my naughty boy gaiters? :)

JAK
09-22-2010, 15:22
Has anyone ever tried anything like these:
http://www.quoddy.com/styles.html

The grizzly boot, tracker boot, grizzly vibram, and dawson moc all look interesting.

JAK
09-22-2010, 15:39
They are pricey, but they look like the real deal.
http://quoddystore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

Not something I can afford, but if I ever go over $100 on shoes/boots it would be something like that, handmade and handsewn. Ideally, custom fitted also, but that is asking alot these days.

Seriously thinking about having a go at making my own.

Dogwood
09-22-2010, 15:50
Most well stocked outfitters should have some boots you can start checking out that fit your desires.

You asked so I'll give you some to look for, all under 3 lbs per pair. You find a pair that fits your feet comfortably.

Garmont Flash, Kiowa

Keen Voaguer, Traghee, etc Mids

Merrel Moab, Ventilator Mids

Montrail Sabino Mids(I have these, I've been happy with them, they provide a bit more support and protection in that they are Mid Cuts but still don't feel like the wt of cinder blocks on my feet, IMO, similar to the now discontinued Montrail Kamchees)

Oboz Sawtooth Mids(I had the low cuts, they are stiffer and heavier than some of the others on this list, but they are durable and protective if hiking in rocky mountainous areas or off trail)

Patagonia Relax Mid

Solomon 3D Fastpacker Mid

Vasque Breeze Mid(I started out on an AT thru-hike with these, they held up well and gave me good support and protection with my then heavy gear kit(40 lbs), while other AT thru-hikers went through as many as 5 pairs of light wt trail runners 1 pair of these made it all the way from Springer to upstate NY)

If you can find a place that has your model, size, and fit INNOV makes some mid cuts that are very light wt.

That's where you can start. There are MANY MANY others that fit your desires!

leaftye
09-22-2010, 16:52
In my original post I said that I would like a little ankle support but my other reason for high top boots is that I don't like sticks, rocks, and snow getting in my boots.

I can totally understand that. I went with high top Inov-8 shoes because I wanted to minimize stuff getting into my shoes and I didn't want to bother with gaiters. I went with the Roclite 370 which does a good job of handling a hiker and pack with a combined weight of around 225 pounds. My longest day was a bit over 20 miles...23 I think.

Since you want gore-tex, Inov-8 has two shoes that'll work at around 14 ounces. The first is just like my shoe, except with gore-tex.

http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/images/Inov8-Roclite-390-GTX.jpg

And the 400 for more abrasion protection.
http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/images/inov8roclite400GTX.jpg

If you order online, order from Zappos so you can keep returning them until you get the size right.

Llama Legs
09-22-2010, 17:03
I've never had good luck ordering boots online, as it's all about fit.

Been to two Inov-8 dealers and despite being really excited about the weights, I was not bowled over by the product or price...

Maddog
09-22-2010, 17:04
check out INOV8...they make the 'worlds lightest hiking boot'..i wore them on my NOBO thru-hike this year and will wear them SOBO next year. maddog

Skidsteer
09-22-2010, 18:14
So what should I use for my naughty boy gaiters? :)

Latex.

leaftye
09-22-2010, 19:12
I've never had good luck ordering boots online, as it's all about fit.

That's why I recommended Zappos.

JAK
09-22-2010, 19:36
OK, that INOV8 companies line of footwear looks pretty good.
I agree that you gotta try stuff on though.

Daydream Believer
09-23-2010, 21:09
I can pass on a good review for Keens. So far I've had good luck with them.

JAK
09-24-2010, 08:00
People should try something like this if they ever get a chance...
http://www.arrowmoc.com/4.html

or these
http://quoddystore.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42

tzbrown
09-24-2010, 08:32
Dirty girl gaiters. You can make your own, too, out of bathing suit fabric.

Any link or instructions on making these?

JAK
09-24-2010, 09:27
First you start with a...

No, I'm not going to say it. ;)
I wouldn't know what to do next anyway. lol

LIhikers
09-24-2010, 17:50
I've had good luck with Vasque Clarion boots.
They are so comfortable on my feet that I wear them to work, I wear them around the house, I wear them so much that I have no idea how long they'd last if you saved them just for hiking. The only thing that would make them better is if they'd leave out the Gortex, or whatever membrane they use for making them " waterproof ".

Sassafras Lass
09-29-2010, 11:39
Ankle support in boots is a bunch of bs.

I respectfully have to disagree.

I have weak ankles, always have, sports didn't do a thing to toughen them up, and due to my weak ankles and habit of wearing sandals, I fell off my bicycle last year while standing up to push and get momentum, and knocked out a bunch of my teeth. Had I been wearing any kind of supportive shoe/boot, my ankle wouldn't have turned so severely and I would still have my smile and not be thousands of $$$ in debt. I went for an evaluation and they told me it would be just shy of $28,000 to get tooth implants and cosmetic work done. So no teeth for me and I can't open my mouth to smile, and I'm only 26. That's BS.

Anyways . . . . I have the Keen Targhee II Mid boots, and I am thoroughly satisfied with them. They have a generous toebox, they're well-made, they lace up just great and hold the knot, and are just generally as comfortable to wear as a pair of Sperry's or worked in sneakers, except I don't mind getting scuffs and gunk all over my Keens. I don't feel even half of the terrain I used to, and they are reasonably grippy in wet/icy conditions. They support my foot and they support my ankle very well, and having bought them sight unseen, I couldn't be more pleased with them.

I second Zappos, as they have some of the best customer service of any business in the history of retail, and with them you can literally try a dozen or so shoes without worry of wearing out your welcome.