PDA

View Full Version : Joyce Kilmer Trip Suggestions

Mocs123
09-22-2010, 07:24
I am looking to do a trip in Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forrest here in a few weeks and am looking for trip suggestions. I do have the Trails Illustrated map, but don't know anything about the trails themselves. I have never hiked in this area but have done a lot of hiking on the AT, BMT, and GSMNP. I prefer a loop with 15-18 miles per day, but don't mind going over 20 if needed. I appreciate your input.

Ramble~On
09-23-2010, 04:56
Joyce Kilmer/Slickrock Creek and Citico Creek Wildernesses have some excellent trails. You will love this place!
If you're planning on 15-18 mile days you can cover the entire area in a couple days.
There are a number of trailheads and once you figure out where you want to start from, you can pick your loop.
The Cherohala Skyway has a number of trailheads with parking.
There's a small pulloff just before the bridge at Calderwood Lake which is the trailhead for the Slickrock Creek Trail.
Big Fat Gap has a parking area and three trails head off in different directions.
If you haven't been here before...don't miss the waterfalls on the Slickrock Creek Trail and Bob Bald on the Stratton Bald Trail.

Ramble~On
09-23-2010, 05:01
Opps. Forgot to mention the book!

Tim Homan's..HIKING TRAILS OF THE JOYCE KILMER-SLICKROCK & CITICO CREEK WILDERNESSES.

Excellent book with detailed trail descriptions, maps, history etc.

Also forgot to mention the view from Hangover on the Hangover Lead Trail. :rolleyes:

joanwest
09-23-2010, 09:02
I agree with Ramble On-- Homan's book is great.

Avoid the Haoe Lead Trail, unless things have changed since last year. It was very poorly maintained and extremely brushy (blackberry brambles over your head). There are other trails that are much more pleasant. I did short trip up the Wolf Laurel Trail to the Bob Stratton Bald Trail to Naked Ground, which was wonderful. Don't miss the Joyce Kilmer Poplar Cove loop either to see the big trees.

Mocs123
09-23-2010, 11:27
Thanks for the help thus far, I will order Homan's book!

joanwest
10-28-2010, 08:36
You've probably already done your trip, but I wanted to provide a correction to my previous post. I just returned from a one-night loop trip in the Joyce Kilmer Wilderness. I had previously said to avoid the Haoe Lead trail, which had been overgrown with blackberry brambles last June. While still unmaintained, full of blowdowns, and overgrown, we made it through this time because the brambles had partially died back. This trail provided lovely partial views, and wasn't too steep. My friend had done the Deep Creek Trail the week before and said it was much worse and slower going compared to the Haoe Lead Trail.

Our loop was only about 8 miles a day, but some of the trails were so rough that our normal hiking pace (what I can do on a trail like the AT) was cut in half. We started at the Maple Springs trailhead, went up the Haoe Lead trail, took the side trail to the Hangover (highly recommended!), continued past Naked Ground, and then went up the Bob Stratton Bald trail and camped on the bald (beautiful!). There was water at Naked Ground and the Bald. The next day, we returned back to Naked Ground, and went down the Naked Ground trail to where it intersects the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest loop. This trip does require a shuttle.

If you are hiking in fall, wear blaze orange since there are many hunters in the area.