PDA

View Full Version : Acorns Acorns Acorns!

Mrs Baggins
09-22-2010, 14:44
I remember last year about this time there was much lamenting and gnashing of teeth about the lack of acorns, the certain death of the squirrel population because of it and the rest of the gloom and doom scenario of climate change blather.

Anyone been hiking through Maryland lately??? You need a freaking hard hat! The forests are raining acorns...big fat acorns that hit the ground sounding like baseballs. The trail bed is like trying to walk across marbles in many places. One of the ladies I was hiking with was hit by one as it came down and said it was like being hit by a hard-thrown rock. I took a friend down to Mt. Vernon in northern VA and it was the same story there - walking through the woods on the estate and dodging the acorns. And of course there are squirrels, plenty of squirrels. With the acorn crop they have this year, we're going to be running into giant roving squirrels in the Spring! :eek:

mad4scrapping
09-22-2010, 15:05
It was like walking on a field of ball bearings. We kept slipping around. And the sounds on the shelter roofs! We thought they were gunshots!

10-K
09-22-2010, 15:10
Both me and my wife fell slipping on acorns this weekend in GSMNP.

JAK
09-22-2010, 15:12
Has anyone tried acorn pancakes, as per "My Side Of The Mountain"?
He adds a little wood ash the take away some of the 'bite'.
Thought that was interesting.

wornoutboots
09-22-2010, 15:13
Samething last weekend in the Big South Fork in TN, even though the Ranger said be careful around the bears due to the lack of acorns, it was raining them all day & all night

4eyedbuzzard
09-22-2010, 15:33
A bumper crop in NH this year as well. Need to keep the car parked away from the oaks.

jmhouse
09-22-2010, 15:51
Was hiking on the AT near Harpers Ferry last weekend and somehow managed not to get hit by any of them. There were some close shots though. It was like the trees wanted me out of their territory.

daddytwosticks
09-22-2010, 15:53
Large pinr tree by our house has been raining pine cones since August. Wonder if all these falling acorns and pine cones predict the type of winter we will be getting? :)

Mrs Baggins
09-22-2010, 16:23
We were looking up into the trees (which was dangerous!) to see if big rabid squirrels were throwing acorns at us! There was a sign up about a mom bear and cub sighted on the trail (Sugar Loaf Mt) so of course every time we heard acorns hailing down we were thinking it was the bears crashing thru the woods! Some of those acorns were huge, easily the size of small plums, and ranged in color from a brilliant yellow to almost black.

Mrs Baggins
09-22-2010, 16:27
http://www.wvgazette.com/Outdoors/HuntingFishing/201009180404

Good article on the abundance of "mast" and how it will affect wildlife - - and hikers because of the active wildlife feeding.

lava
09-22-2010, 16:39

I haven't made them myself, but I did take a wild edibles class where they were served - I thought they were yummy. We learned that white oak has much less "bite" than red oak and can be ground and dried and used without soaking. Red oak has a lot more tannins and needs to be soaked in several changes of water. Don't know about other varieties. Seems like I see tons of red oak acorns, but not too much white oak when I am out there. The teacher said the critters like the white oak better too.

J5man
09-22-2010, 16:46
Hiked in SNP this past weekend and it was like someone had thrown marbles on the trail. This is a good sign for a productive deer season this fall!

Mags
09-22-2010, 16:58
Acorns.... man, I miss the hardwoods this time of the year.

The smell of a New England fall (damp leaves, a musky smell in the cool air) is just as part of the glorious autumn weather as the the foliage.

(Next time I'll be back in Rhody is Xmas.. Cold, damp and grey!)

Smile
09-22-2010, 17:13
So many acorns here.....but a huge lack of squirrels!

Lilred
09-22-2010, 17:20
We were looking up into the trees (which was dangerous!) to see if big rabid squirrels were throwing acorns at us! There was a sign up about a mom bear and cub sighted on the trail (Sugar Loaf Mt) so of course every time we heard acorns hailing down we were thinking it was the bears crashing thru the woods! Some of those acorns were huge, easily the size of small plums, and ranged in color from a brilliant yellow to almost black.

Are you sure they weren't Hickory nuts???

Mrs Baggins
09-22-2010, 17:20

We saw plenty of squirrels. I live in a neighborhood with lots of homes, people,and traffic and we have them here - thick. They're always hopping across the front lawns, down the backyards. I have a cat that will catch and kill anything that moves. I'm just waiting to find squirrel carcasses in the basement. This morning it was a baby rabbit......and no, I won't keep him indoors. He also kills moles, voles, and mice.

Smile
09-22-2010, 17:27
We saw plenty of squirrels. I live in a neighborhood with lots of homes, people,and traffic and we have them here - thick. They're always hopping across the front lawns, down the backyards. I have a cat that will catch and kill anything that moves. I'm just waiting to find squirrel carcasses in the basement. This morning it was a baby rabbit......and no, I won't keep him indoors. He also kills moles, voles, and mice.

Send us some here! We have seen about three all summer, there are nuts everywhere, and local word has it they have been hunted out over the years.

Jonnycat
09-22-2010, 17:32
I have an oak tree in my front yard, and this is going to be a banner year for me the local tree rats. I have one of the little buggers that sits outside and watches me when I eat my breakfast.

I think he's up to something.

Skidsteer
09-22-2010, 18:05
I have an oak tree in my front yard, and this is going to be a banner year for me the local tree rats. I have one of the little buggers that sits outside and watches me when I eat my breakfast.

I think he's up to something.

Surveillance.

Jonnycat
09-22-2010, 18:25
Surveillance.

Now that you mention it, I've been having a feeling like I'm being watched.... http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/confused/confused0006.gif

Pedaling Fool
09-22-2010, 18:35
Large pinr tree by our house has been raining pine cones since August. Wonder if all these falling acorns and pine cones predict the type of winter we will be getting? :)
I got a large Magnolia tree that drops seed pods the same size as pine cones, but heavier. They've been raining down since August as well, many landing on my roof. On time so many came down at one time I thought it was hail.

I got so many this year I'm going to throw them in my compost pile since there all over the place making it hard to walk around.

emerald
09-22-2010, 19:01
I got a large Magnolia tree that drops seed pods the same size as pine cones, but heavier. They've been raining down since August as well, many landing on my roof. One time, so many came down at once I thought it was hail.

I got so many this year I'm going to throw them in my compost pile since they're all over the place making it hard to walk around.

Good idea. Give away the seedlings so that others may be so blessed. Could it be your magnolia is too close to your dwelling?

Driver8
09-22-2010, 22:06
A bumper crop in NH this year as well. Need to keep the car parked away from the oaks.

We're acorn crazy here in Connecticut, too. Lousy with them. ...

sheepdog
09-22-2010, 23:49
lots in Michigan also

Skidsteer
09-23-2010, 06:41
Next year people will be complaining about scarce acorns again, not realizing that mast production tends to alternate years naturally.

SMSP
09-23-2010, 09:42
Maybe someone can make a UL hard hat?:-?

SMSP

middle to middle
09-23-2010, 09:46
I have liveed in Maryland for 30yrs and have rarely seen so many acorns.

Toolshed
09-23-2010, 10:15
Got whacked on the head with one yesterday at my son's soccer game. It really hurt for a minute!!!!

sheepdog
09-23-2010, 12:53
Next year people will be complaining about scarce acorns again, not realizing that mast production tends to alternate years naturally.
you take the fun out of everything :eek:

Buzz_Lightfoot
09-23-2010, 13:10
Same in NE PA. It's so bad in my driveway that one has to be extra careful since it is like walking on marbles. :eek:

I'm going to pick as many as I can up this weekend and toss them back in the woods behind my house where my bonehead neighbor set the woods on fire and killed many trees.

The oaks need help around here. So many are killed by the periodic waves of gypsy moths. This year, thankfully, there were no gypsy moths and the trees were able to recover. Two years ago, the healthiest big oak in my back yard was killed by them. :confused:

BL

slovakiasteph
09-23-2010, 13:36

When I was a kid, I gathered a bunch of acorns, shelled them, boiled them a bit, but they were still bitter. I don't think I made anything from them. I'm pretty sure either My Side of the Mountain or various Native American things I'd been reading were the inspiration.

tiptoe
09-23-2010, 14:47
ditto in Connecticut. Next time I walk my dog in the park, I'll consider wearing a helmet.

mweinstone
09-23-2010, 19:05
if a devise existed that permenently switched peoples lives , i would sneek up behind you and switch your life with mine. then id have the cat and the friend with the woodsy estate and the acorns. and you would be sad and in the city. but i cant worry about that. as much as i love you. i must have your life. you had a good run. now share woman.and i would have a special reward for cat each kill. maby a pat on the head. maby a snack. but that cats kills would rise till all the little week non killing cats have to pay my cat for killing lessons. and my cat becomes the leader of futer world. where only cats and hikers exist due to an acorn abundence. and all other non hikers have to live in citys with non killy cats that think their cool but arent. oxoxmatty.

mweinstone
09-23-2010, 19:08
and dogs can come too...

Wise Old Owl
09-23-2010, 19:18

The indians put the acorns in water to soak out the tannic acid that makes them bitter and turned it into a meal.

http://ts2.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=242645996669&id=03cac3be65c557f41c265bde2c21c6a7&url=http%3a%2f%2fimg147.imageshack.us%2fimg147%2f8 987%2fpict0072z.jpg wear this with a hard hat!

JERMM
09-23-2010, 19:32

so true, these are from '08 in northern VA

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_od3jPZ0y4zk/SP9h-VGrnVI/AAAAAAAABNk/4_Aprfnb4lo/P1010051.JPG

sheepdog
09-23-2010, 20:13

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_od3jPZ0y4zk/SP9h-VGrnVI/AAAAAAAABNk/4_Aprfnb4lo/P1010051.JPG
huge......

JERMM
09-23-2010, 23:05
huge......

yep...that's some big nuts...:D

Mrs Baggins
09-24-2010, 06:36
yep...that's some big nuts...:D

And to think I held back from saying "Wow, that's quite a pair you've got!" :eek:

Pedaling Fool
09-24-2010, 08:53
JERMM, maybe it's just me, but it seems like you’re artistically expressing, symbolically of course, your relationship with the opposite sex. That’s what I see in the photo.

;)

veteran
09-24-2010, 09:01
He would just love them.

http://content6.flixster.com/question/20/52/27/2052276_std.jpg

JERMM
09-24-2010, 09:59
JERMM, maybe it's just me, but it seems like you’re artistically expressing, symbolically of course, your relationship with the opposite sex. That’s what I see in the photo.

;)

aaahahahaha...so much for this thread...it's all down hill from here

SMSP
09-24-2010, 10:43

Wow, almost a handful!

SMSP

sheepdog
09-24-2010, 18:19
aaahahahaha...so much for this thread...it's all down hill from here
slippery slope for sure

Del Q
09-24-2010, 18:23
Fellow hikers, these are NOT Acorns we are seeing, they are "stink bugs" now pooping on us all!!!

Yes, tons out there, clear hiking hazard, was almost beaned by one while having a quick lunch break at a shelter picnic table, leaned back about a foot and it FLEW by, one bounce into the shelter. Close call.

RETCW4
09-24-2010, 19:47
I hiked from Caledonia to PenMar two weeks ago and couldn't believe how many acorns I saw and got hit by.

Tumbleweed

Pedaling Fool
11-01-2010, 09:04
I remember last year about this time there was much lamenting and gnashing of teeth about the lack of acorns, the certain death of the squirrel population because of it and the rest of the gloom and doom scenario of climate change blather.

Anyone been hiking through Maryland lately??? You need a freaking hard hat! The forests are raining acorns...big fat acorns that hit the ground sounding like baseballs. The trail bed is like trying to walk across marbles in many places. One of the ladies I was hiking with was hit by one as it came down and said it was like being hit by a hard-thrown rock. I took a friend down to Mt. Vernon in northern VA and it was the same story there - walking through the woods on the estate and dodging the acorns. And of course there are squirrels, plenty of squirrels. With the acorn crop they have this year, we're going to be running into giant roving squirrels in the Spring! :eek:
Now my live oak is raining acorns and the squirrels are going crazy. Actually the the acorns haven't start falling in big numbers yet, most dropped are from squirrels, but when I look up there are tons of them, still a little green.

http://www.sfrc.ufl.edu/4h/Live_oak/liveoak.htm

emerald
11-01-2010, 09:31
Quercus rubra L. northern red oak
USDA Plants (http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=QURU&photoID=quru_005_ahp.tif)

Pedaling Fool
11-01-2010, 16:27
USDA Plants (http://plants.usda.gov/java/stateSearch?searchTxt=live+oak&searchType=Comname&searchOrder=1&imageField.x=53&imageField.y=11)

Cookerhiker
11-01-2010, 18:04
I just finished hiking the Susquehannock Trail in Northern PA where most of the leaves were down. The Trail weaves in and out mixed hardwood forests which include some oak along with hickory, birch, beech, and maple. I didn't notice an abundance of acorns anywhere.

Regarding oak forests, I've had more issues with slippery leaves than acorns.

Pedaling Fool
11-01-2010, 18:55
I just finished hiking the Susquehannock Trail in Northern PA where most of the leaves were down. The Trail weaves in and out mixed hardwood forests which include some oak along with hickory, birch, beech, and maple. I didn't notice an abundance of acorns anywhere.

Regarding oak forests, I've had more issues with slippery leaves than acorns.
I'm just guessing here ( I like to talk about stuff I know absolutly nothing about:D)

This thread was started well over a month ago, I would imagine the acorn issue is pretty much over up there. Whereas down here in Florida the live oaks are just starting.

As for slippery leaves I remember in 2006 (when I started in Georgia) seeing sections of the trail that were so covered in leaves you couldn't see the trail and other section (in the same area) that were leaf-free. If my feet were'nt hurtin' so bad I would have tried to figure out why:)

Wise Old Owl
11-01-2010, 22:11

come pick up mine I have 25 plus.

emerald
11-01-2010, 22:53
I thought Great Horned Owls like squirrels almost as much as skunks. What gives, change your mind?

Pedaling Fool
12-21-2012, 08:49
Absolutely no acorns this year:( Last year was slow, compared to 2010, but at least I had them, but zero this year, and I've noticed that seems to be the case in the region not just with my tree. Going to go looking in some other areas and see if they're also bare.

Here's an interesting story from Texas: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Drought-may-have-spurred-a-deluge-of-acorns-in-3951102.php

Drought may have spurred a deluge of acorns in Southeast Texas

By Eric Berger | October 15, 2012 | Updated: October 15, 2012 10:18pm

Plunk. Plunk. Plunk.

In the battle for supremacy over Houston's urban landscape this fall, the region's more than 70 million oak trees have the high ground. Their weapon of choice? The acorn.

"I have three large live oaks and two water oaks in my yard, and it has been raining acorns for weeks," said Greg Broyles (http://www.whiteblaze.net/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fhouston-texas&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Greg+Broyles%22), a resident of Woodland Heights.

"I can barely sweep these things up without getting pelted in the head."

It's not just in central Houston. This year, the tyranny of acorns spans from at least Clear Lake to The Woodlands, where oak trees have dropped acorns at a rate of five to 10 times normal.

Tree experts say they don't entirely understand why, every decade or two, oak trees produce a deluge of acorns - known as a "mast" year.

Like this year.

"I've been here 15 years, and I don't remember seeing live oaks producing like this before," said Evan Siemann (http://www.whiteblaze.net/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fhouston-texas&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Evan+Siemann%22), an ecologist and tree researcher at Rice University (http://www.whiteblaze.net/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fhouston-texas&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Rice+University%22).

Scientists believe this year's deluge of acorns may be related to last year's drought.

"We often see increased production in mast when we are experiencing drought, especially like the one we had last year," said Matthew Weaver (http://www.whiteblaze.net/?controllerName=search&action=search&channel=news%2Fhouston-texas&search=1&inlineLink=1&query=%22Matthew+Weaver%22), a regional urban forester with the Texas A&M Forest Service. "The trees are trying to perpetuate their species so they expend energy in producing their seed."

In other words, last year's drought may have provided a cue to oak trees to be fruitful and multiply.

Scientists believe there are evolutionary reasons for trees to produce bumper crops of acorns rarely rather than annually.

The 17-year cicadas emerge periodically, in force, because there are enough of them at one time that predators cannot possibly eat all of them.

Key to survival

The same logic applies to trees, Siemann said. If oaks produced just a few acorns every year, there would be enough squirrels and other seed predators to gobble all of their mast up. Instead, by saving up their nutrients for a large crop every now and then, oak trees overwhelm the ability of predators to consume all of the acorns.

Therefore, it's more efficient for trees to spike their production of acorns periodically.

What's not as well understood is the trigger for a mast year. Weather is likely one factor, and last year's drought seems like a powerful reason, Siemann said. But there have been mast years following wet years.

For all the trees' efforts this fall, in most of Houston, the plethora of acorns is unlikely to produce more oak trees. Those trees in yards and parks mostly come from nurseries, not acorns dropped locally. However, Siemann said, in natural forests, where there are openings in the canopy, oaks that survived last year's drought are likely doing their part to grow new members of their species.

Back in urban areas, the acorns are something of a nuisance, pinging off cars, cluttering golf courses and staining driveways.

So when is the reign of raining acorns ending?

"Well, there are still a lot of acorns hanging on the trees," Siemann said. "I think we're in for at least a couple more weeks of falling acorns."

[email protected]

FarmerChef
12-21-2012, 11:07
Fun fact: Acorns are edible though it is a chore to make them so. They can be ground into flour for baking.

MuddyWaters
12-21-2012, 11:17
native americans ground acorns into flour to bake bread.
You can too

coolness
12-21-2012, 11:28
Acorns are heavy again this year.

tiptoe
12-21-2012, 11:37
Acorns were NOT in abundance where I live this past season, and maybe that's why the squirrels went after my tomato crop with a vengeance. Too many squirrels, not enough food.

Starchild
12-21-2012, 12:20

My understanding is this is well known survival strategy of the oak trees. A lot of energy goes into reproduction (acorns). Oak trees drop their heavy loads once every 5-7 years or so, and have light years as well. The reason is because if the had many every years the squirrel population would increase and just eat them all and it would be a large energy expenditure for nothing, if the oaks dropped just a few there would not be enough to sustain the population of oaks. But if the oak varied their acorns from very little to very many the squirrel population can be kept in check and the oaks can reproduce.

Now how the oaks 'communicate' which year in the cycle it is I'm not sure, but totally known and not a sign of climate change.

Peace

chief
12-21-2012, 16:57

;)Given his later post, opposite sex may be a big presumption on your part.

chief
12-21-2012, 16:59
oops, I quoted a 2 year old post.

Pedaling Fool
12-21-2012, 18:13
My understanding is this is well known survival strategy of the oak trees. A lot of energy goes into reproduction (acorns). Oak trees drop their heavy loads once every 5-7 years or so, and have light years as well. The reason is because if the had many every years the squirrel population would increase and just eat them all and it would be a large energy expenditure for nothing, if the oaks dropped just a few there would not be enough to sustain the population of oaks. But if the oak varied their acorns from very little to very many the squirrel population can be kept in check and the oaks can reproduce.

Now how the oaks 'communicate' which year in the cycle it is I'm not sure, but totally known and not a sign of climate change.

Peace
That's basically the theory put forth in the second half of the article I posted earlier (pasted below). However, it's just a theory and it does sound good, but still a lot of unaswered questions, some of which contradict that theory. One of which is there are some species of oaks which are like clockwork, they release acorns every other year. Then you got other species of trees, such as my Southern Magnolia, which produce seeds every year and in great numbers, many many more than the most bountiful year with my live oak. So many that it drives me crazy because the seed pods (each of which holds ~50 seeds) drop on the house every year and they're as big as a pine cone, but heavier. And the squirrels do eat them, along with other animals such as birds. It's just one of them things that make you wonder about evolution...

Why is it that honeybees must die after stinging their victim, yet yellowjackets can sting multiple times:-? :confused: I'm sure it's no accident of nature, but again...Why :confused:

Here's an interesting story from Texas: http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/article/Drought-may-have-spurred-a-deluge-of-acorns-in-3951102.php

Drought may have spurred a deluge of acorns in Southeast Texas

By Eric Berger | October 15, 2012 | Updated: October 15, 2012 10:18pm

Key to survival

The same logic applies to trees, Siemann said. If oaks produced just a few acorns every year, there would be enough squirrels and other seed predators to gobble all of their mast up. Instead, by saving up their nutrients for a large crop every now and then, oak trees overwhelm the ability of predators to consume all of the acorns.

Therefore, it's more efficient for trees to spike their production of acorns periodically.

What's not as well understood is the trigger for a mast year. Weather is likely one factor, and last year's drought seems like a powerful reason, Siemann said. But there have been mast years following wet years.

For all the trees' efforts this fall, in most of Houston, the plethora of acorns is unlikely to produce more oak trees. Those trees in yards and parks mostly come from nurseries, not acorns dropped locally. However, Siemann said, in natural forests, where there are openings in the canopy, oaks that survived last year's drought are likely doing their part to grow new members of their species.

Back in urban areas, the acorns are something of a nuisance, pinging off cars, cluttering golf courses and staining driveways.

So when is the reign of raining acorns ending?

"Well, there are still a lot of acorns hanging on the trees," Siemann said. "I think we're in for at least a couple more weeks of falling acorns."

[email protected]

Southern Magnolia Seed Pod - red bean-like things are the seeds. (Not fully formed, once fully formed seeds will be all over the pod)

http://www.easttennesseewildflowers.com/albums/fruits/Copy_of_Magnolia_cone1.jpg

Hairbear
12-21-2012, 18:15
When I was a kid, I gathered a bunch of acorns, shelled them, boiled them a bit, but they were still bitter. I don't think I made anything from them. I'm pretty sure either My Side of the Mountain or various Native American things I'd been reading were the inspiration.you have to boil them for ten minutes changing the water then boil again for ten minutes again.dry roast .the bitter goes away.acorns have pound for pound as much protien as meat.

hikerboy57
12-21-2012, 22:34
anybody know what the reason might be for this overabundant crop?i remember my grandpa telling me a big acorn crop was a sign of a rough winter ahead.told me to look at squirrel tails, if they seemed bushier than normal, you would see a tough winter as well. he said somehow nature knows to prepare.
man, i miss my grandpa

Wise Old Owl
12-21-2012, 22:52
oops, I quoted a 2 year old post.

Yea you are a nut - but we still like ya! - don't worry I am sure I and others have done it too.

Pedaling Fool
12-22-2012, 09:35
anybody know what the reason might be for this overabundant crop?i remember my grandpa telling me a big acorn crop was a sign of a rough winter ahead...
I've heard that theory also, but just another theory that has holes.

Another theory that looks at precipitation and temps http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/acorn-production-hindcast-not/80849

Acorn Production: Hindcast, not a Forecast

Many people believe a large acorn crop is a predictor of a harsh winter. The truth is, the acorns on the ground today are the prediction of weather conditions two or three years ago.

Bucknell University Professor of Biology Emeritus Warren G. Abrahamson, Ph.D and Executive Director of the Archbold Biological Station (located in Venus, Fla.) James N. Layne, Ph.D worked together on a study of acorn production during the years of 1969-1996 (with the exception of 1991).

The pair observed and recorded the acorn crops of two white oak and three red oak species.

"Jim Layne was really the one who got the project started," said Abrahamson. "He also was the one to make sure the data got collected each year."

The findings of the team may surprise you. In a published report dated September 2003, the research showed that the volume of acorn production each year is partly controlled by external factors like precipitation affecting the acorns during different stages of development during prior years.

Acorn production from bud to completed acorn takes nearly two years for species of the white oak and three years for species of the red/black oak, according to Abrahamson.

In 1989, the oaks in the study were subject to a freeze during the growth cycle. Only one species of oak, the Chapman Oak, was damaged.

The damaged trees produced their third highest crop of acorns over the entire 27 year of the study in 1990.

The team reported that they did not experience a complete crop failure of any oak species during the study.

If you've noticed a lot of acorns around your house, Abrahamson who resides in Central Pennsylvania, said the Chestnut Oaks are producing them.

"I have never seen such a large crop in the 30 years I've lived here," he said. "Walking around my property is like walking on marbles."

The rainfall and temperatures in Central Pennsylvania during the springs of 2010-2012 have been favorable for acorn production. The table below list the precipitation and temperature totals for the months of March-May for each of the three years.

Year

Avg. Precip.

Actual Precip.

Percent of Normal

Temp. Percent Above Norm.

2010 (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0);)

2011 (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0);)

2010 (http://javascript<strong></strong>:void(0);)

If favorable weather conditions for acorns mean a bumper crop two or three years later, the crops of 2013-2015 may bring some of the largest crops yet.

"Weather was a very important factor in the study," said Abrahamson. "The production of acorns definitely is not forecasting but hindcasting the weather."

atraildreamer
12-22-2012, 12:31
Acorns.... man, I miss the hardwoods this time of the year.

The smell of a New England fall (damp leaves, a musky smell in the cool air) is just as part of the glorious autumn weather as the the foliage.

(Next time I'll be back in Rhody is Xmas.. Cold, damp and grey!)

Rain and wind like a hurricane yesterday, Mags. Partly cloudy today. No snow, yet. Might get a little next Wednesday.

Don't worry about the giant squirrels, the hunters will thin them out! :banana

atraildreamer
12-22-2012, 12:34
When I was a kid, I gathered a bunch of acorns, shelled them, boiled them a bit, but they were still bitter. I don't think I made anything from them. I'm pretty sure either My Side of the Mountain or various Native American things I'd been reading were the inspiration.

Plenty of ways to eat them if they are prepped properly. Check out this site:

http://www.grandpappy.info/racorns.htm