PDA

View Full Version : Curley Maple Gap Shelter closed

mountain squid
09-22-2010, 16:42
Curley Maple Gap Shelter will be closed from 30 Sep until approx 5 Oct while we rebuild it. There are some good campsites about .1 mi N of the shelter at the old foundation. There is also a dirt road there which has some nice sites.

If anyone is interested in helping to build the new shelter let me know. It is going to be in the style of the Mountaineer Falls Shelter which we built several years ago with HardCore.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Rain Man
09-22-2010, 16:53
Mt. Squid, I would love to come over and help rebuild a shelter, but my daughter's post-wedding reception Tennessee dinner is Oct 9 at our home, so I'm tied up with home fix-up chores that week. Sorry to give lame excuses. Another time maybe?

Rain:sunMan

Morning Glory
09-22-2010, 17:06
If the work extends through the following weekend, let me know. I would love to help, but I'm going to be out of town on a long weekend.

Curley Maple Gap Shelter will be closed from 30 Sep until approx 5 Oct while we rebuild it. There are some good campsites about .1 mi N of the shelter at the old foundation. There is also a dirt road there which has some nice sites.

If anyone is interested in helping to build the new shelter let me know. It is going to be in the style of the Mountaineer Falls Shelter which we built several years ago with HardCore.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

grizzlyadam
09-22-2010, 17:43
If it is in the style of Mountaineer Falls Shelter does that mean it'll immediately be covered in graffiti as well?

Cabin Fever
09-22-2010, 17:55
If it is in the style of Mountaineer Falls Shelter does that mean it'll immediately be covered in graffiti as well?

What shelter isn't?

Tennessee Viking
09-22-2010, 18:20

See you on the trail,
mt squid
I will be back the 9th but that will probably too late.

How far is the walk-in?

Definitely take some pics. I want to see how Carl and Bob are going vamp up this old concrete shelter.

Are you all going with the original plan of lifting the roof off, building up on the existing blocks & add a new platform, and turn the roof a quarter-turn and re-attach & adapt the roof to the new angle.

mountain squid
09-23-2010, 15:42
Another time maybe?I don't know when the next time will be, but I'll try to keep everyone posted.

If the work extends through the following weekend, let me know.It might take longer than anticipated. If so, I'll update.

How far is the walk-in?It's about 2 miles. Downhill in and uphill out.

I'll upload some photos afterwards. I don't know the specifics of the plan, as of yet, but I believe it will be somewhat as you described.

Graffiti?!?! Here is some of what we're getting rid of:

See you on the trail,
mt squid

10-K
09-24-2010, 09:24
I can carve out 4-5 hours on Thursday the 30th. Not sure about Friday and the Apple Festival is the 2nd and 3rd ya know.... :)

The 4th-8th I'll be in my office back in Wilmington but if you're still working when I get back on the 9th I'll have some more time.

Is the walk in from FR132 accessed from Indian Grave Gap?

mountain squid
10-02-2010, 20:25
It has been rather slow going so far. Took a long time to get all the materials down (trailer was wider than anticipated and then a flat tire or two). Today we made good progress, though, on building, but probably won't finish tomorrow.

I've taken alot of photos and will upload later.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
10-08-2010, 20:28
The new Curley Maple Gap Shelter is 'finished'. There is still some cosmetic stuff to do, but not much. We had alot of help. Thank-You to ASU Trail Crew, a couple of SOBOs (Whoopie Pie and Speaker) and some sectioners (Roccushun, Journey, Peter Pan and Powhatan) (hope I didn't miss anyone - if so, sorry).

It took a little longer than anticipated, especially getting the materials to the sight, but we persevered through the cold and the rain and the long days (not too mention the long hike out at the end of the day). Hope everyone enjoys our handiwork.

I've already uploaded some photos (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/browseimages.php?s=&do=member&catid=&imageuser=8692&searchid=&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&cutoffdate=-1) and will upload some more later.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ki0eh
10-08-2010, 20:42
New shelter in a week is pretty impressive! Thanks folks.

Rain Man
10-09-2010, 08:51
Thanks for all the hard work!!! The newer style shelters are so much more "homey" and inviting than the small, cold, "drab," concrete block structures.

mountain squid
10-15-2010, 13:39
Despite some minor setbacks (not really setbacks, maybe just obstacles), we finally finished the new shelter. There are 2 sleeping platforms and although I am not sure of what the 'official' sleeping capacity is, I suppose it will accomodate between 12 - 16 hikers.

In addition to everyone who helped, would like to say THANKs to Gray (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43504&catid=member&imageuser=8692) for helping to get the materials to the shelter. Without his help, we would still be hauling everything down (and for those wondering the ATV did not drive on the AT).

Would also like to THANK LL Bean for providing the funds (via ATC) which, of course, made the project possible.

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs101.gif Everyone!!!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7095.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=43286&original=1&c=member&imageuser=8692)

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/8/6/9/2/dscn7322.jpg (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showimage.php?i=43505&original=1&c=member&orderby=dateline&direction=DESC&imageuser=8692&cutoffdate=-1)

Quite the contrast, huh?

See you on the trail,
mt squid

PS. I think the mouse (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43291&catid=member&imageuser=8692) is still a resident. It had taken temporary residence in one of our tool buckets. As I picked the bucket up, it launched itself at me and then promptly scurried back to the shelter . . . :eek: DOH! :D

Moose2001
10-15-2010, 13:45
thanks Mt. Squid. The new shelter will be a great addition.

Doc Mike
10-15-2010, 15:31
Why do hikers want to turn a shelter into a piece of graffiti. I thought one of the points of hiking is to get away from those kinds of things. Leave no trace should include ink, paint, chalk, etc

just my .02
Doc Mike

Digger'02
10-26-2010, 14:48
Squid, AWESOME!!! the new shelter looks totally badicool I can't wait try it out. Well done.

Doc Mike: I am not sure why people want to "leave their mark" but i do know its something that we battle constantly. One of the best ways to dissuade graphiti are facility upgrades like these. Hikers are more prone to mark up and deface something they consider undesireable and much less prone to deface something they consider nice. go figure.

Cabin Fever
10-29-2010, 14:00
Why do hikers want to turn a shelter into a piece of graffiti. I thought one of the points of hiking is to get away from those kinds of things. Leave no trace should include ink, paint, chalk, etc

just my .02
Doc Mike

I have been preaching that for years. Write in the shelters, not on the walls.

Rain Man
10-30-2010, 09:09
In addition to everyone who helped, would like to say THANKs to Gray (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=43504&catid=member&imageuser=8692) for helping to get the materials to the shelter. Without his help, we would still be hauling everything down (and for those wondering the ATV did not drive on the AT).

Would also like to THANK LL Bean for providing the funds (via ATC) which, of course, made the project possible.

Yes, THANKS to all. MS, is the new shelter on the exact same spot as the old one? Or, at a different location/mile along the trail?

sparky2009
10-30-2010, 13:30
Thanks to all for the hard work. The shelter looks very nice.

fehchet
10-30-2010, 16:48
Same place with a modified foundation.

Tinker
10-30-2010, 20:27
Waas any curly maple used in the shelter construction? I figure there should be a routed sign of the stuff, at least :).

Tennessee Viking
10-30-2010, 21:12
It really needs a Tennessee AT license plate just to finish it off.

10-K
01-10-2011, 17:13
I hiked up to Curley Maple Gap shelter this afternoon for lunch and it was in pristine condition. Not a piece of litter, a nice stack of firewood (dry) and a logbook and working pen securely sealed in a gallon ziplock. The spring is clear and flowing good too.

That's one mighty fine looking shelter after the rebuild. It looks really cool covered in snow - it's a good 12" deep up there.

Mule & Flash
04-21-2011, 14:12
Thank you for all the hard work that everyone put into the new shelter! What a huge difference in the before and after pics! Enjoyed the pictures of the whole process too. Looks like you had fun getting it done. We'll be staying at Curley Maple shelter next month during our section hike, and now this is one I'm looking forward to staying in. :)

jfarrell04
04-21-2011, 20:54
We camped on the "dirt road" this past Tuesday nite. Great spot to bivy. Shelter and the general area was jammed packed with thru's - evidently most of them walked all the way up to the shelter from Uncle Johnny's that day!!! Shelter looked very nice though.