PDA

View Full Version : liners liners everywhere, how many of them should I care... about?

jsstewar
09-23-2010, 13:00
Sock liners, sleeping bag liners, and not really a liner, but waterproof pack covers. What are your opinions on these? necessary? provides comfort but not enough to justify weight/expense? Does a trashbag work better? Silk or fleece? I'm just not sure enough whether these are more of a gimmick or a necessity? thanks for any help

flemdawg1
09-23-2010, 13:12
Sock liner, not necessary if you're wearing proper fitting trail runners and good socks.
Sleeping bag liners, not necessary if you have a warm enough sleeping bag and can add clothing to wear to bed.
Pack liners actually work better at keeping pack contents dry, but the pack gets wet.

Toolshed
09-23-2010, 13:19
Many folks swear by sock liners when wearing hiking boots. I am one of those. By wearing a very thin hydrophobic sock liner (Water hating) the moisture from your feet will pass through it and be absorbed by your woll sock, keeping your feet dryer. Wool will absorb 35% of it's weight in moisture and the fibers won't collapse like cotton.

Dryer feet = skin doesn't soften up = layers of skin won't start to rub = No blisters!!!

I don't use a sleeping bag liner, but many folks swear by them to keep their down bags cleaner.

I've tried pack liners, but I prefer to just keep everything require absolute waterproofness in a stuff sack with a plastic bag inside of it.

sbhikes
09-23-2010, 14:45
Sock liners: I found them useful until my feet got really tough. Then I went with just one pair of thin wool socks.

sleeping bag liners: Never used one. I did use a bivy sack which is like a liner on the outside.

waterproof pack covers: Used a trash bag on the outside. They make them so you can put yard-clippings in so they're a lot stronger than they appear. I preferred keeping the whole pack dry rather than just the inside contents dry. I had to swim a river crossing in the Sierras and soon learned when my pack is wet it's really heavy.

Just poke two holes for the shoulder straps and thread them through. The bag will make an awful racket while you walk, so try to figure out ways to hold it close to the pack. It'll also make your pack hard to get into so keep your snacks someplace handy.

Even with all the drawbacks of noise and not being easy to use, they don't fall off, they don't let water get into the pack from behind your back and they are tough and cheap.

bigcranky
09-23-2010, 22:07
I use thin wool socks. Sock liners perversely gave me blisters.

I've never found a sleeping bag liner that I liked. I prefer to carry better clothing in cold weather -- it's dual use, and more comfortable to sleep in. And disbelieve those "adds 15 degrees" claims.

For keeping my stuff dry, I use both a silnylon pack cover and I keep my sleeping bag and clothing in a plastic bag inside my pack. Yeah, belt *and* suspenders, but my down bag is dry.

Forever North
09-23-2010, 22:46
I haven't used a sock linner since 1997

But I do love silk sleeping bag linners. I use'd it when it's cold and it gives my bag another 10 degrees. On my 2005 thru-hike I used a synthetic 30 degree bag with the linner and I used the silk all by self when it's hot. I love sleeping with the slik linner by it's self when it's a hot night.

As for my pack: I use a very thick lawn trash bag for most all of my gear and I use another one for my sleeping bag. They'll cost about 8 to 12 bucks for about 10 or 15 bags but then I have some as a back up at home. Plus I have the rain cover for the pack it's self with my Poncho for extra protection. I don't believe you can ever go overboard when keeping your pack and gear dry.

leaftye
09-24-2010, 03:24
Sleeping bag liners may make some sense for short hikes where the weight and hassle doesn't matter much and there's a hope of keeping your bag smelling fresh. There are better solutions for a thru hiker like wearing all your clothes to sleep, carrying a warmer pad, overstuffing your bag with a couple extra ounces of down, and others. I think overstuffing is best and is something you can easily do yourself.

I use sock liners and only sock liners. My feet get really hot and sweaty, so a pair of liner socks work better for keeping my feet cool, taking little space in my footwear, and drying out very quickly.

Pack covers aren't 100%. Some type of waterproof bag is still required. I can see the sense in still using a lightweight cover to prevent your bag from gaining weight in the rain, especially when rain is pretty much guaranteed.

Joker4ink
09-25-2010, 00:45
I Glide each of my toes and always use sock liners. Actually, until a year ago, I never used them and thought I was fine. However, once I tried them I got hooked. As far a pack liner, I just use a trash bag. I own a Thermarest bag liner but have yet to use it.

IronGutsTommy
09-25-2010, 01:26
with pack liners aka bag covers, make a few holes in the bottom. this will keep rain water from pooling up and soaking the pack.. sleeping bag liners can add 15 to 20 degrees of warmth, basically giving u an entirely different sleeping bag fro around 40 bucks or so. worth it to turn a 20 degree bag into a winter bag thats for sure
of all liners socks are the best i feel.. toolshed says it best about the wicking properties. i use Injinji liners which have individual toes in them, which help with foot chaffing and seem to help keep athletes foot at bay. i am a frequent athletes foot sufferer and since using injinji liners problem solved, jus a lil inside info.

10-K
09-25-2010, 07:09
Sock liners - no

Bag liner - yes, silk. Keeps my bag clean.

Pack liner - garbage disposal bag for the inside stuff and a pack cover for the stuff on the outside but also because when I take my pack off when it's been raining and put it on the ground it keeps my pack from getting dirty/muddy.

Lone Wolf
09-25-2010, 07:18
Sock liners, sleeping bag liners, and not really a liner, but waterproof pack covers. What are your opinions on these? necessary? provides comfort but not enough to justify weight/expense? Does a trashbag work better? Silk or fleece? I'm just not sure enough whether these are more of a gimmick or a necessity? thanks for any help

i don't use liners of any kind

Moose2001
09-25-2010, 07:51
Sock liners - Never

Silk sleeping bag liner - Sometimes

Trash compactor pack liner - Priceless

Peaks
09-25-2010, 08:22
Like all gear, there are choices to be made. Some use sock liners, some don't. Some use sleeping bag liners, others don't. Some use pack liners, some use pack covers.

No one solution for everyone. Try different options and see what works for you

Nean
09-25-2010, 12:09
sock liners- yes

with socks- no

if the shoe fits well, all you need is the liner or thin sock;)

Tenderheart
09-25-2010, 12:20
Sock liners? No!

Sleeping bag liners? No! If you sleep in your bag wrong side out every other night, it stays sweet smelling for the entire hike. Mine did.

Pack covers? Don't waste your money. THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!! Get a garbage- disposal bag for the items inside your pack that need to stay dry.

10-K
09-25-2010, 12:22
Sleeping bag liners? No! If you sleep in your bag wrong side out every other night, it stays sweet smelling for the entire hike. Mine did..

I would not have thought about doing that in a hundred million years. Did you really do it?

Between this and Jak boiling his underware I think I've seen it all. :)

Tenderheart
09-25-2010, 12:35
I would not have thought about doing that in a hundred million years. Did you really do it?

Between this and Jak boiling his underware I think I've seen it all. :)

Yes, I did!! And it really worked for me. Absolutely no odor.

Red Hat
09-25-2010, 12:42
Sock liners - Never

Silk sleeping bag liner - Sometimes

Trash compactor pack liner - Priceless

I never use sock liners, but wear Smartwool socks. I have a silk sleeping bag liner but didn't carry it this year. It would have kept my down bag from smelling so bad... I ALWAYS use a trash compactor pack liner. When I fell fording a river this year, everything inside my pack stayed dry. The only wet things were what I was wearing and what I had in my pockets.

Tenderheart
09-25-2010, 12:55
Pack covers? Don't waste your money. THEY DON'T WORK!!!!!!! Get a garbage- disposal bag for the items inside your pack that need to stay dry.[/QUOTE]

I mean trash-compactor bag instead of garbage-disposal bag. Senior moment!!

litefoot 2000

Moose2001
09-25-2010, 13:49
I won't hike without a pack cover. Will they keep your pack dry? No. But neither will a rain jacket keep you dry! Will a pack cover prevent your pack from being soaked with rain? Yes. Pack cover and trash compactor bag inside will do a great job at keeping the most water off and out of your pack. YMMV. :)

Luddite
09-25-2010, 14:28
Pack cover - Yes, of course they work. They keep the outside of your bag dry and prevent your pack from getting heavier. Still need a dry bag or a pack liner for clothes and sleeping bag.

Sock liners - Never used them. My feet are usually fine with a pair of smartwools and a proper fitting boot or trail runner.

Pack Liner - Trash compactor bag works great.

Spokes
09-25-2010, 14:46
Sock liners-
Save your money since most modern hiking socks have double loop inner construction which acts as a built in liner anyway. Prevent blisters by soaking your feet in a strong tea solution twice a day for about 20 minutes. Do this a week to ten days before your long distance hike. It's no joke, the technique is promoted by podiatrists.

Sleeping bag liners-
I always carry a silk liner that weighs next to nothing. It's great as a liner in the hostels too.

Pack liner-
Yes! Get compactor bags they last a long time. I only used 2 total on last years thru.

Cheers!

Luddite
09-25-2010, 14:59
Sleeping bag liners-
I always carry a silk liner that weighs next to nothing. It's great as a liner in the hostels too.

What liner do you use? I plan on using one with my 20* bag next year but can't decide on one.

10-K
09-25-2010, 15:00
My silk liner is the Mont Bell one - love it.

Windcatcher
09-26-2010, 08:00
I don't use sock liners, my preference is boots/shoes that fit well and comfortable wicking socks.

For my pack it's all about being dry, so it's drysacks & ziplocks on the inside and a pack cover on the outside. One heavy lawn trashbag, stashed in my pack, should the situation call for total immersion, rarely used.

Sleeping bag liner is only brought along if I'm out for more than a couple of days and the temperatures are expected to drop.

Spokes
09-27-2010, 16:40
What liner do you use? I plan on using one with my 20* bag next year but can't decide on one.

I bought a Cocoon brand silk liner years ago. It's always in my pack! Not sure if they even make/sell that brand anymore.

The Montbell silk liner 10-k mentioned sounds interesting. I really like Montbell stuff too.