PDA

View Full Version : GSI Halulite Minimalist

Mountain Wildman
09-23-2010, 15:07
I searched the site and did not see any reviews on the GSI Halulite Minimalist so I figured I post a quick one.
Overall impression: Nice compact set.

Weight - 180 grams (6 oz. & 12 grams)
Pot - 96 grams (3.42 oz.)
Foon - 8 grams
Silicone Gripper - 12 grams
Neoprene Sleeve - 20 grams
Lid - 42 grams

Maximum capacity is 3 cups (24 fluid ounces) Just about flush with the top of the pot.

Tested in my kitchen, Windscreen not needed, Room Temperature 65 Degrees.

2 Cups of cold tap water(Don't have a thermometer to check water temp)
23 ML of Denatured Alcohol
Using PackaFeather XL Alcohol Stove on Highest setting.

Rolling boil reached in 5 minutes and 15 seconds.

GSI Halulite Minimalist with PackaFeather XL Stove and 60ML Measuring Cup inside weighs - 268 grams (9 oz. & 16 grams) Complete

Nine and a half ounces for a complete cook kit, Not bad. The weight of the fuel will depend on how much you carry and the container you carry it in, I keep my Denatured Alcohol in a 20 ounce soda bottle in the side pocket of my pack.

There is not a lot of room to cook in the pot but it is totally adequate for boiling water to add to Freezer Bag Meals or to make a cup of Coffee, Tea or Hot Chocolate. Definitely a minimalist set.

Retail price is $22.95 but you can usually find it on sale for about $19.00.

Torch09
09-23-2010, 16:26
do you think the neoprene sleeve is worth taking if you're trying to go UL? I have this pot, but haven't had the chance to use it on the trail.

Mountain Wildman
09-23-2010, 16:35
do you think the neoprene sleeve is worth taking if you're trying to go UL? I have this pot, but haven't had the chance to use it on the trail.

Being that the sleeve weighs a little less than an ounce I would use it, And the cup gets real hot to the touch without it, If you boil the water and add it to a freeze fried or dehydrated meal then it probably would not make a difference, But if you made Coffee, Tea or Hot Chocolate in the cup, It would be too hot to hold without the Neoprene sleeve.

woodstock64
10-23-2010, 10:01
I second MountainWildman,
I too have the GSI Minimalist. Bought it right after it came out and love it. It is all I need. I limit my hot meals to freeze-died so I only boil water for my meals and hot coffee or tea. Its the perfect size, except I prefer the 8oz canisters (not that much heavier but much more economical), which do not fit inside the pot. But I can live with this trade off. I love that the pot also functions as a coffee cup. If you drink hot beverages out of it you MUST bring the neoprene sleeve!

Chance09
10-23-2010, 20:15
I saw this and was intrigued, but i'm not sure about it. I think i'd rather have the backpacking light firelite SUL-1100 titanium cookpot. It's 3 oz for a no frills 1100 ml pot.

I just switched over to the bushbuddy and the above pot was designed for it making my whole cooking system with endless fuel only a little over 9 oz.

I'm planning on the CDT next year and I like the GSI pot for it's size, but I don't know so much about it's function. The decision is still up in the air.

Mountain Wildman
10-23-2010, 22:44
I saw this and was intrigued, but i'm not sure about it. I think i'd rather have the backpacking light firelite SUL-1100 titanium cookpot. It's 3 oz for a no frills 1100 ml pot.

I just switched over to the bushbuddy and the above pot was designed for it making my whole cooking system with endless fuel only a little over 9 oz.

I'm planning on the CDT next year and I like the GSI pot for it's size, but I don't know so much about it's function. The decision is still up in the air.

If the SUL-1100 is 1100ML then I would go with that, My main cookset is an Evernew Titanium DX 1900ML because I like a big pot with extra room to keep the food inside and the lid is a frypan, I hate trying to stir food when it is right at the top of the pot, The GSI Halulite Minimalist is fine if all you do is heat water for "pouch meals" or hot beverages, But if you want to actually cook a good sized meal in it, Not going to happen!!!

I condsider it more of a cup that you can boil water in than a pot.

kmystry
01-31-2011, 20:23
I've got a GSI Minimalist and I love mine.
I mostly do freezer bag cooking when I take this pot and the neoprene sleeve works great as a cozy for a one quart freezer bag. Keeps the food nice and hot for as long as I need it anyway. I put the sealed freezer bag into the neoprene sleeve and then cover it with my bandana for about 10 minutes...food comes out hot.
I use a very small mint tin for burning denatured alcohol and a folding Esbit stove for a potstand...the stove folds up and fits right inside the pot with plenty of room for a small bottle of alcohol, lighter, and a windscreen. The lighter and the windscreen fit inside the Esbit stove itself. Works great for my needs.

sarbar
02-01-2011, 20:30
It works well but one thing to be wary of: the sleeve at first can be tight. I got it hooked under my fingernail trying to get it off the first time I took it off. Ow. That sucked. It fits better now though with use.

hikingshoes
03-06-2011, 09:25
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9228&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1285267753 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9228&d=1285267753)GSI Halulite Minimalist
I picked this item up on my way to do my 2nd section hike 03March2011 on the AT.I was very please with the Minimalist.I packed my stove,spork,all items that came with the cookset.Once at the shelter setup to cook had a boil in 3mins,added the hot water to my meal with in 10mins it was time to eat.The top seals off really well,so i just close it alittle so it want be so hard to get off.I havent cooked in it at this time,only used it on this hike(2x)to boil water,but it is packed up for the next hike.HS