PDA

View Full Version : an interesting idea

bluewolf
09-23-2010, 16:37
I live in maine. I'm a very short distance from the trail. I have a lot of free time on my hands since I'm a stay at home mom and my kid just started school. I love to knit so i decided i would knit up scarfs, hats etc over the winter and drop them off at a nearby shelter for hikers to take when the new season starts. they can take them as something to take home for friends and family if they don't want to wear them. they will all have a home made label saying my hiking name, blue wolf. I will also be dropping off food that normally would be crushed in a pack like poptarts, cookies etc. Perhaps even paper back novels.

would hikers like this? :-?

johnnyblisters
09-23-2010, 17:09
That's a very awesome, albeit labor intensive, random act of kindness right there!

couscous
09-23-2010, 17:17
Dropping things off could be considered littering or attracting animals to the shelter. Handing them out to those anxious to receive them is more rewarding. If you enjoy watching time-lapse videos of army ants devouring a carcass, then you will also enjoy placing a package of Double Stuff Oreos on a picnic table surrounded by hungry hikers.

bluewolf
09-23-2010, 17:42
That's a very awesome, albeit labor intensive, random act of kindness right there!
aw thanks :) glad someone thought it was a good idea

bluewolf
09-23-2010, 17:44
Dropping things off could be considered littering or attracting animals to the shelter. Handing them out to those anxious to receive them is more rewarding. If you enjoy watching time-lapse videos of army ants devouring a carcass, then you will also enjoy placing a package of Double Stuff Oreos on a picnic table surrounded by hungry hikers.

sounds like a great sight lol. yes I plan on planning out the dates of drop offs way ahead of time so hikers know i'll be there with good food. Of course I'll be glad to hand off my goodies to hikers i see while walking to these meetings.

Kerosene
09-23-2010, 18:17
Reminds me of the time I fortuitously found a cotton sweatshirt at a cabin on the Long Trail the night the temperatures dropped into the mid-30s in early August...and then stayed there for the rest of the month at nights, with highs only brushing 60. That was cooler weather than I had packed for, and the sweatshirt let me get through the rest of the hike without undue discomfort.

My guess is that some of the NOBOs will greatly appreciate a bit of warmer clothing as they approach Katahdin!

Toolshed
09-23-2010, 18:41
I tend to prefer the LNT principles, even if it is a POS shelter.
Remember that probably a lot of those nice knit goodies will be torn to bits by mice looking for nesting material. I honestly don't know if I would want to put something on my head that mice have been peeing, pooping and whatever else in as they play with it.

warraghiyagey
09-23-2010, 20:37
I live in maine. I'm a very short distance from the trail. I have a lot of free time on my hands since I'm a stay at home mom and my kid just started school. I love to knit so i decided i would knit up scarfs, hats etc over the winter and drop them off at a nearby shelter for hikers to take when the new season starts. they can take them as something to take home for friends and family if they don't want to wear them. they will all have a home made label saying my hiking name, blue wolf. I will also be dropping off food that normally would be crushed in a pack like poptarts, cookies etc. Perhaps even paper back novels.

would hikers like this? :-?

I really appreciate the sentiment which brought you to this idea, however it is really a bummer to findthings left in shelters and at campsites. . . Maine was worse this year than ever for gear left along the trail that people packed in but were too lazy to pack out, usually stating that they thought someone else would find it and want it. . . unfortunately it all becomes litter and really trashes the outdoor/hiking experience. . . love the idea of trail magic but leaving anything at shelters only adds to the problem. . . you'll find a good way to help out the hikers for sure, but leaving clothes at shelters isn't the best way to go. . . . :sun

Luddite
09-23-2010, 21:03
I think thats a good idea.
I know I sure would appreciate finding a hand knitted scarf and a paperback.

JAK
09-23-2010, 23:00
Knitting. Awesome.

Neck tubes are great idea, as are those peruvian style hats with ear flaps. If you are ever up in New Brunswick they have Briggs&Little Wool for sale cheap in Dollar Stores, usually the heritage or tuffy. Mitts are great also. I could send you some rolls maybe.

IronGutsTommy
09-23-2010, 23:10
yeah you shouldnt leave stuff at shelters. why not set up a folding table with your wares and gifts. its still trail magic when they can thank you in person. plus your time spent on knitting wonderful items will be worth the effort more if hikers that want the items accept them rather than mice or shelter bums. i salute you in advance blue wolf

Mags
09-23-2010, 23:20
Its a great idea provide hand knit items for people in need.

But, wonder if a local charity could use your acts of kindness more than thru-hikers who (should) have the appropriate clothing for Maine in the fall.

Just a thought anyway. :)

bluewolf
09-24-2010, 00:27
yes i guess the way i posted things at first was a bit misunderstood. I do plan on going up there and handing out things. I wouldn't want to drop things off and have them get ruined. I might go up there for a few days to see to everyone getting some of my goodies.

yea i do make things for the local clothing donations.

IronGutsTommy
09-24-2010, 00:56
i donate to charities the best way possible, with my time. working 8 hours a week in a soup kitchen does more than donating items or food would. but i do hate when people always shoot down trail magic as unneeded and suggest charities. trail magic is a wonderful part of the trail in that most trail magic recipients return to the trail in the future to pay it forward, while a good amount of charity users totally forget about the charity when they dont need it anymore. long live trail magic. i for one would hold onto that knit cap forever, and remember my thru hike fondly while looking at it.

JAK
09-24-2010, 07:56
Hand knit wool stuff is a real treat. Worth paying $$$ for.
To recieve some as trail magic would be truly something.

It's a shame that most people don't appreciate hand knit wool, and will pass up on $100-$150 for a set of hand-knit mitts, neck tube, and peruvian type hat with ear flaps, and pay more than that for factory made stuff, not even good wool, or not even wool. Maybe with this sort of trail magic people might get educated, but most probably still won't get it.

People on the street probably know good wool when they see it. lol

bluewolf
09-24-2010, 11:43
aw i'm glad to know a lot of people would like it. I thought it was a good idea. Well I'm gonna do it and take them up there next season and hand them out. I'll post some pics later on of how things look.

Toolshed
09-24-2010, 13:22
I didn't mean to come off negative in my post - I meant to say that it is a great idea and probably well appreciated by many, but sometimes ,even with the best intentions, things can go awry.

IronGutsTommy
09-24-2010, 13:35
no toolshed, your comments held water and were right on. setting up a temporary post ala folding table would not only avoid litter, but my bet is the goods would find their way into more appreciative and wanting hands

Mags
09-24-2010, 15:27
I think IronGuts may be making a reference to me. :)

Just my opinion. Like diapers..they are all full of something and they all stink. ;)