PDA

View Full Version : How do I make this sound good on a resume?

Pony
09-23-2010, 19:23
So, the hike is over and it looks as though it is time for me to get a job. I feel that my time on the trail is an asset rather than a detriment, however I assume that some prospective employers will look at it like I spent five months screwing off. How do I explain this gap in employment without sounding like a slacker?

Carbo
09-23-2010, 19:45
Persistence, stamina, achieving objectives, dedication, goal seeking, planning, ability to work under stress... these might be some words to describe your characteristics as demonstrated by the hike. If you're applying at any of the outdoor sports companies you may have a BIG advantage.

As far as the gap is concerned, you took advantage of an opportunity (bad job market, commitments, responsibilities changed, etc.).

Good luck!

Many Walks
09-23-2010, 19:47
What type of business and occupation are you applying for?

mweinstone
09-23-2010, 20:08
as an alum of the natinal outdoor leadership school concidered the harvard of outdoor educations, and haveing been choosin for the instructors course at 17,......i will mention this fact concerning what perspective employers want. nasa, this countrys proud leader in space exsploration has as a prerecwisit for all astronauts, that they complete a wilderness course at nols. the reason as stated by nasa. self relience. and the proof of it. also, hikers are jedis with power to take jobs.i have been out of work since two weeks before last holloween and am just finding small jobs now. i didnt depend on anyone. sept maby an access card for 200 $ of food in the end when i had nothing . but i pounded the sidewalks and kept positive and all with my hiker streanths.

Carbo
09-23-2010, 20:45
Pony,
Just be honest, sincere, yourself and persistent. Just like completing the hike.

Moose2001
09-23-2010, 20:46
First.....I would not put the hike on your resume. I think it's something that just doesn't look right on a resume. Don't get me wrong. It's something to be proud of. It's a huge accomplishment. Look at it from an employers perspective though.

When the question about the gap in your employment comes up, and it will, it's your chance to toot your own horn. Explain what the AT is and what a thru is. Phrases like determination, hard work, persistence, hardest thing you've ever done seem to capture an interviewer's attention. Anyone with any brains will quickly see you're the kind of person they want working for them. You can make it a positive.

10-K
09-23-2010, 21:01
You know, this might be the best reason yet to consider hiking to raise money for charity.

Saying, "I undertook the challenge to walk 2179 miles to raise money for a cure for cancer." or something to that effect sounds pretty good.

And it's a cool thing to raise money for a worthwhile cause anyway.

Del Q
09-23-2010, 21:03
My 3 cents, I would proudly put an accomplishment like thru hiking the AT on my resume, remember, you are getting ready to trade your life's hours for $$$$'s. (The more the better)............time for YOU to be selective as well.

Not sure what you are like, your skill sets, your passions or your real business / occupational dreams & desires, if they are not aligned I would question taking that job. Most of the people I meet have little spark, that is a HUGE difference on who someone might hire or not.

Anyone who has thru hiked the AT has my complete respect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A prospective employer should get that, or walk away, they are not worth your time, you are a buyer too (for a job)

Pony
09-23-2010, 21:36
To be fair, I didn't thru-hike. In 2008 I hiked from Springer to Damascus, and this year I hiked from Damascus to Katahdin. Yeah I know, splitting hairs. It should come as no surprise that I am looking for a job where I can spend some time outdoors, so I am currently looking at Columbus Metro Parks and Ohio Department of Natural Resources. I have a bachelor's degree from The Ohio State University in Integrated Social Studies, so unless I want to teach, my other option is to bartend, which I have been doing since I graduated.

I have no doubt that if I were given an interview I could impress them to a degree, but getting the interview is sometimes the problem. Could this be a problem with the resume, or am I just not annoying (by annoying, I mean persistent) enough?

lonewolftrekker
09-23-2010, 21:57
Pony bro... are you sure we weren't just screwing off ib the woods... I still remember us lost at 10pm, LOL. but it was fun.

Pony
09-23-2010, 22:03
Not lost, just didn't know where we were.

IronGutsTommy
09-23-2010, 22:12
i wouldnt put it on a resume, but yeah when the gap comes up id simply explain what an accomplishment it was. a thru hike is a far cry from getting drunk in an RV, thats for sure

Lone Wolf
09-23-2010, 22:18
So, the hike is over and it looks as though it is time for me to get a job. I feel that my time on the trail is an asset rather than a detriment, however I assume that some prospective employers will look at it like I spent five months screwing off. How do I explain this gap in employment without sounding like a slacker?

what makes your time walkin' with no purpose other than gettin' to a mountain an asset?

perrito
09-23-2010, 22:41
Place it under a section called Personal Accomplishments. It's something you're proud of, and rightly so. Just be ready to explain the positives of your hike when asked - what you learned, how you follow through things to the end, etc.

Pony
09-23-2010, 23:00
what makes your time walkin' with no purpose other than gettin' to a mountain an asset?

Nothing really, it's just walkin' :)

Toolshed
09-23-2010, 23:01
Put it at the bottom under "Activities & Interests".
I frequently scan resumes for my department and if you have the business skills I am looking for, then this added piece gets you in the door as a conversation starter.

skinewmexico
09-23-2010, 23:06
Just explain the gap if they ask. I've never cared about the hobbies of the people I've hired, only their job-related performance. Be cool to hear about after they're hired though.

Jester2000
09-23-2010, 23:07
How do I explain this gap in employment without sounding like a slacker?

Tell them you were in prison.

Toolshed
09-24-2010, 06:29
Just explain the gap if they ask. I've never cared about the hobbies of the people I've hired, only their job-related performance. Be cool to hear about after they're hired though.
Old line thinking :-?
New line thinking - What is your emotional intelligence. Not so much related to being a superstar, academic abilities, B-School Degree, Technical Knowledge or years of experience, but rather how you measure up to being able to work with others and eventually move into leadership.

Things that have become far more important now in many organizations are the personal qualities - Initiative, Empathy, Adaptability and Persuasiveness..

If you can add a bit of human element to your resume, do it. :)

Old Hiker
09-24-2010, 07:40

You knew were YOU were, you just didn't know where anyone else was. Apologies to Dan'l Boone for paraphrasing.

GeneralLee10
09-24-2010, 07:56
Tell them how good you are with a cam and that you get some of the best shots. By the way when are you gong to share the video with everyone so they can see your fine work?

Trailbender
09-24-2010, 08:06

Because 99.5 of Americans couldn't do it? It shows that you have determination and self reliance.

4eyedbuzzard
09-24-2010, 10:23
Because 99.5 of Americans couldn't do it? It shows that you have determination and self reliance.
Well, I'd argue that if hiking were truly necessary to survival, a high percentage could and would do it. Lots of activities and accomplishments show determination and self reliance - getting an education, holding a job, having success in one's career, supporting oneself / family, serving in the military, etc.

The fact remains that hiking is a recreational activity - no different than mountaineering, skiing, golf, tennis, hunting, traveling, etc. Employers will rightfully question whether or not an applicant who chooses to take 6 months off work to pursue their recreational activities is going to prove to be a stable and reliable employee, or whether they will choose to leave for some extended period when their desire to recreate overcomes their desire to serve their employer's needs.

Pony
09-24-2010, 11:42
Tell them how good you are with a cam and that you get some of the best shots. By the way when are you gong to share the video with everyone so they can see your fine work?

You know I was still getting asked about my trail name as far north as NJ/NY, even though I shortened it almost immediately. While I am pretty good with the camera, I think I'll leave trail name references off of my resume. I think the video is on my facebook, but I haven't got around to loading anything on my computer yet.

GeneralLee10
09-24-2010, 13:20
You know I was still getting asked about my trail name as far north as NJ/NY, even though I shortened it almost immediately. While I am pretty good with the camera, I think I'll leave trail name references off of my resume. I think the video is on my facebook, but I haven't got around to loading anything on my computer yet.

I think it's funny as hell though. Glad to hear you made it to the top man, Grats
yeah I don't think you should put that on your resume

sbhikes
09-24-2010, 13:56
I don't put it on my resume but I do talk about it if anybody asks why I left my former company. Because I don't put specific dates of employment (I put years, not months and days) a gap is not readily apparent.

Brian (aka Skippy)
09-24-2010, 14:58
I think

Occupation - Appalachian Trail Hike 2010 to Present

* Ability to Awesome for Extended Periods of Time

Brian (aka Skippy)
09-24-2010, 15:00
* Ability to Remain Awesome for Extended Periods of Time
* Possess qualified "White Out" skills

Mags
09-24-2010, 15:17
It is very arguable I have my current position in part because of my CDT thru-hike (manager is an AT section hiker, son did about half the AT and worked at Philmont).

Of course, the team lead is from Framingham, Mass and sounds like most of my family from Rhody so that may have helped, too. :)

TheYoungOne
09-27-2010, 11:26
Like someone else mention, I think I would skip mentioning it of a resume, but list it on a application under hobbies or achievements.

Then again if your applying for a job at REI, some other outfitter, or as a ranger for the National park service, I would add the hike on your resume.

Toolshed
09-27-2010, 11:31
So for discussion purposes:
1. You could point out that you remain focused on a long term objective, despite setbacks (weather, insects, huge climbs....)
2. You set daily goals
3. You don't hesitate to rise to challenges as they present themselves.
4. You are resourceful and adaptable. Point to things that happened on the trail that you found a solution around.
Good Luck....

4shot
09-27-2010, 12:05
Having been on both sides of the interviewing process, I don't believe I would list it on my resume. If you are young and haven't developed a list of professional accomplishments it might be something to point to if asked questions about your ability to set and meet goals. However most people I have met professionally aren't hikers and thus don't understand what it takes to do a thru-hike so don't be surprised if your accomplishment is not as appreciated as you think it should be, especially in the "real" world.

harryfred
09-27-2010, 13:18
Your over thinking and probably over writing. Your resume should only be two pages tops. So simply give a start and stop date, month and year close enough, and write hiked Appalachian Trail. for some no further statement is necessary for others nothing more will be enough. Guess who you want to work for.:-?

Tilly
09-27-2010, 14:13
I put my employment down in terms of years.

I do not make it look like I have large gaps in employment. Sad reality, but most employers are going to take that as a negative.

Unless you are applying for a outdoor/trailbuilding/whatever type of job, I wouldn't put it on a resume.

Panzer1
09-27-2010, 14:35
everything on your resume should be something that somehow prepares you for the job that you are applying for. You have to look at it from the employers point of view.

Panzer

jersey joe
09-27-2010, 15:06
It totally depends on who is interviewing you. If they identify with the hike, it is a pro, if not, it is probably a con. An employer might appreciate the commitment and determination that it takes to complete a thru hike. I guess a younger person with less significant work experience has more reason to include a thru hike on a resume.

sbhikes
09-27-2010, 16:37
If you really want to mention your hike pre-interview, do so in your cover letter. It doesn't really go on a resume.

BobTheBuilder
09-27-2010, 17:13
In most of the rest of the world, the term for resume is curriculum vitae, literally translated from latin as "the course of your life." If you spent five months of your life focused on achieving a goal, I would absolutely list it on your resume.

I would prefer to hire somebody with the dedication to hike day in and day out for months on end in order to reach a goal than somebody with a high GPA. LW says it's just walkin', but that's not the point. Swimming the English Channel is just swimmin', too. It's not about what you do to achieve your goal, it's about achieving your goal.

Also, there are probably dozens of applicants for every job, so why not use the one thing you have that makes you stand out? Sell it for all its worth.

Toolshed
09-27-2010, 17:44
As one who does an initial review of resumes and usually one of the second round interviews for our open positions, I cannot count the number of times I have rejected resumes because they are either functional (usually hiding some kind of employment gap or else there was a period of underemployment), or they had no month/yr on them, only a year to year.

For instance;
I see previous employed as 2003-2005 and more recent previous employed as 2006-2008, then my spin is you have a 2 year gap (2005-2006) which you are trying to hide.

You may well have a great reason for not being employed in a period of time, but trying to cover it up is not a good start between you and an employer.
You would eventually have to tell them what months you were employed to and from, and likely also have a background check)

No one is going to knock you in this job market and economy because you were unemployed for 6-9 months. Employers get it.

Tilly
09-27-2010, 21:57
As one who does an initial review of resumes and usually one of the second round interviews for our open positions, I cannot count the number of times I have rejected resumes because they are either functional (usually hiding some kind of employment gap or else there was a period of underemployment), or they had no month/yr on them, only a year to year.

For instance;
I see previous employed as 2003-2005 and more recent previous employed as 2006-2008, then my spin is you have a 2 year gap (2005-2006) which you are trying to hide.

You may well have a great reason for not being employed in a period of time, but trying to cover it up is not a good start between you and an employer.
You would eventually have to tell them what months you were employed to and from, and likely also have a background check)

No one is going to knock you in this job market and economy because you were unemployed for 6-9 months. Employers get it.

This is interesting. I always 'cover up' gaps in my employment, and so far, I have never had a problem (so far.) My employment history is full of holes, and several jobs within the last few years for that matter. Maybe it just depends on what business you are in.

Depending on where I go, sometimes I get a background check (current employer definetely) but some don't. But I do not ever bring up gaps, mostly because it's irrelevant to the job, and personally I feel like explaining my time outside of work is none of their business anyway. I'm only there for the job.

Anyway it's good to know.

Erin
09-27-2010, 22:44
I have interviewed a hiker who put it on his resume (different long trail) and it is a great
ice breaker. Employers are interested in people that have outside lives and hobbies.

Brian (aka Skippy)
10-08-2010, 10:09
I'm typing this to make my 30th post so I can start selling stuff!

Pony
10-08-2010, 13:51
BTW, Skippy was the winner. I simply explained on the resume my extreme level of awesomeness and now my phone is ringing off the hook. It's good to be awesome.

Shamal
10-08-2010, 16:40
I have worked in HR for almost a decade. I highly recommend that you put it on the resume. One of the things that potential employers look for is breaks in employment history. A lot of breaks or a rapid turn over of jobs can suggest that the potential employee does not have staying power.

When you discuss your hike, make certain to point out how few people actually finish the trail versus how many start. This will point out your determination to finish a goal.

SalParadise
10-09-2010, 01:18
a little late to this thread, but i had teh same apprehensions when i finished the Trail and started applying for jobs. i have my thru-hike at the bottom of my resume under General Accomplishments, because it's obviously something i'm proud of. the time gap in the resume you can explain in the cover letter, although gaps of employment is pretty common these days with people being laid off for long stretches of time. employers often ask about that gap, and you've got a great response.

I received both reactions from that employment gap when i first started job-hunting. i was at one interview where the boss was very concerned that i was only applying to save up money to go on another adventure again (i'd quit my last job to hike). even if you explain as best as you can that you're not going to up and leave again, it's tough to shake that perception from people with that traditional 'school-work-die' mindset.

at the same time, i landed some interviews because of the hike that i otherwise wouldn't have landed, from hiring managers who had that adventure bug. for one interview, that's all the guy wanted to talk about.

in the end, i'd definitely display it as a point of pride on the resume. it shows you as a goal-oriented person who is willing to work hard. for the gap, don't worry much about it and if they're concerned they'll ask.

all the best with the job hunt.

Bronk
10-09-2010, 02:53
I have always put my hike on my resume and worked it into the conversation during interviews. I really believe I got my current job in part because the boss was fascinated by the idea of the hike...the guy is a health and fitness nut so telling him I hiked 850 miles really impressed him.

What you're telling them is that you accomplished something that would be impossible for them to do. As a candidate for a job, you are somebody who can do the impossible.

Datto
10-11-2010, 21:01

Ha, that cracked me up laughing Jester.

Pony -- I always put the AT and the PCT on my resume. It's been immensely helpful in getting a job. Of course, afterward and I take the job, I'm always known as "the hiker guy" but that's okay.

When I'm not on a long-distance hike, I spend at least five percent of my gross yearly income on personal education and training (this is highly directed training, not basket weaving or naval gazing topics) -- above and beyond whatever my current employer spends. After a hike I'm usually at the top of the list of candidates to be interviewed, strictly from a credentials standpoint. Having the AT and the PCT on my resume opens doors for me and differentiates me from other candidates.

Here are the facts about my job offers beginning with my thru-hike of the AT in Year 2000:

After thru-hiking the AT I had these job offers:

Fort Wayne, IN *
Indianapolis, IN
Cincinnati, OH
Newport News, VA

After traveling to the Cook Islands, New Zealand, Hawaii and Scotland for several months and long-distance hikes I had these job offers (to be honest, this was a half-hearted job search):

Salt Lake City, UT
Reno/Sparks, NV *

In 2007 after getting snowed out before finishing the PCT I had these job offers:

Lexington, KY
Portland, OR *
San Antonio, TX
St. Louis, MO
Phoenix, AZ
Columbus, OH

* denotes the jobs I took.

When I say "job offers" these are the ones I received in writing.

I'm not sure long-distance hiking has as much to do with you getting or not getting a job as you would think. It's more about these five things (in order of importance):

1) What skills you have versus what the market wants
2) What education you have versus what the market requires
3) Your personality during a telephone interview or an in-person interview
4) If you're willing to relocate
5) If you're willing to travel

Generally as a goal after a long-distance hike I shoot for a ratio of resumes sent out / responses back from prospective employers / job offers as a 100 / 20 /5 ratio. In 2007 the ratio was 100 /25 / 6 which was a fantastic ratio. The ratio has been as low as 100 / 10 / 2 in leaner years after a long-distance hike.

For me, the most bountiful effort is the five percent of gross income I spend every year on training and education. Because I know I'll be frequently going on a long-distance hike, every Monday when I'm not hiking (since 2006) I record the raw job openings from the national job boards that include certain terms that have to do with my profession and afterward, chart those in an Excel spreadsheet. That tells me what's hot in my field and what's not. If one of those hot topics is interesting to me (not all are -- some are quite boring from my view) I'll spend some or all of my five percent per year budget on that topic, paying to gain advanced training and knowledge about that subject.

Well that's my plan anyhow.

By the way, if you don't have a college education, that should be the very first thing on your to-do list. A Bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.

Datto

tawa
10-11-2010, 21:27
By all means you list this as on your resume. "Its not bragging if you've done it"! I have not thru hiked the AT but did complete the Boston Marathon in a very respectable and qualifing time. I listed this on my resume under major accomplishments and during every interview the committee asked me very positive and thought provoking questions about it ---which brought out opportunities to talk about self discipline, goal setting, motivation, deseverance etc.
One of my past positions before I retired was Personnel/Human Resource Director for a large corporation so trust me on this one you want to list it somewhere on your resume to catch their attention and when they bring it up be prepared to hit the ball out of the park with your follow-up answer when you tell them the skills it took to complete this dream and how it translates into the type of employee they can expect to get should you be hired.
Best of luck on your job search.
Tawa

tawa
10-11-2010, 21:28
Ooopps meant to type perseverance! lol

Datto
10-11-2010, 23:24
By the way, if you don't have a college education, that should be the very first thing on your to-do list. A Bachelors degree is the new high school diploma.

If you don't yet have a clue about what to get involved with as far as a career that will let you go off and hike a long-distance hike and still have opportunities when you get back, here's a place to start:

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bestjobs/2010/sectors/

Datto

Blue Jay
10-13-2010, 09:36

Employers get it.

You just proved that they do not.

Blue Jay
10-13-2010, 09:43

Jester may have been jesting, however I think this is better than revealing a thru. Corporations want drones, people who adapt to prison life inside the corporate world.:welcome

Pony
10-13-2010, 13:42
I do have a college degree, but so far that has yet to open a lot of doors for me. I think part of the problem is that, growing up I was led to believe that if I have a degree, any degree, that I would have no problem finding a good job. So foolishly I pursued a major that interested me, but doesn't seem to be that practical.

I also feel that my employment history could be somewhat problematic from an employer perspective. The only employment gaps are from hiking, and amount to about seven months, but perhaps the type of work may raise some eyebrows. For the past eight years I've worked as a bartender/server. I am often asked, primarily by my management who is often less educated than me, why I am still working in restaurants if I have a degree. Well the simple answer is money. I could get any number of jobs making 8-12 dollars per hour but can't justify doing that when I typically can make 15-20/hr bartending. Is it likely that prospective employers see this and immediately move on to the next resume? If this is the case, then how do I break the cycle, short of completely fabricating my work history?

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again. I don't feel that interviews are the problem, but there is absolutely no opportunity to impress if I can't even land an interview.

p.s. Here's part of the letter I recieved just a few days ago. Keep in mind this is for a job that not only would be a pay cut, but the only qualification is a high school diploma.

"It was a pleasure to review your application. Although your credentials are notable, I regret to notify you that other candidates have been selected for interviews whose qualifications and experience are more compatible with our objectives for this position." Huh???

Pony
10-13-2010, 13:43
BTW, I did not mention the AT on my resume, only in the section of the application that asked why I left my last job.

4eyedbuzzard
10-13-2010, 14:08
"It was a pleasure to review your application. Although your credentials are notable, I regret to notify you that other candidates have been selected for interviews whose qualifications and experience are more compatible with our objectives for this position." Huh???
Just the usual brush off for (pick one): They don't like you, they don't think you'll fit into their culture, they don't think your experience is relevant, they don't think you'll stay long, etc.

Datto
10-13-2010, 20:07
BTW, I did not mention the AT on my resume, only in the section of the application that asked why I left my last job.

My experience has been that if an employer or a recruiter looks down upon or denigrates something as monumental as a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail, then that employer will not be a good fit for me. It would be a tipoff the employer is just looking to fill a roster or a chair -- as someone else here said, looking for a drone.

In reality, since I started doing long-distance hikes more than 10 years ago, I've had several instances where I believe my AT and my PCT hikes have made the difference in me receiving a job offer. Heck, when I was working at a consulting firm, I was chosen by the client to be the person they wanted to interview about handling their work from the consultant company (they'd picked me blindly from a list of people/resumes presented by the consulting company -- I'd never met any of them before). When I went to the interview with the client to see if I could land the account (it was the largest contract the consulting company had ever pursued), all the client reps wanted to do was ask questions about the Appalachian Trail. I told the prospective client that it was a fantastic adventure, that I'd met some of the best people in my life on the AT and thoroughly enjoyed the challenge and the experience. I'd answered all their questions about the AT (Ha, the usual 20 questions and then some) and at the end of the interview one of the client reps said mentioned that they supposed they should take the last few minutes of the interview to ask questions about my skills.

I've only really had one or two instances (out of, I'm guessing, a few hundred openings that had interested me) where a recruiter (not an employer) thought that I'd taken a vacation when I thru-hiked the AT. When laughed and then gently corrected the recruiter and let him know that I'd taken on a great challenge that was both fulfilling to me as well as rewarding, his response then was, "So...you took a vacation?". I promptly told the guy that he wouldn't have any openings that would interest me and then said goodbye nicely. He called back in a day or two and wondered if he'd said something that might have been negative and I told him that there wouldn't be any employer that would hire him as a recruiter that would have an opening where I would be interested. One of the things about recruiters -- there's not point in dancing around issues -- they're not in the business to make a relationship with you. If it's not going to be a good fit with the recruiter, then it will not likely be a fit with their employer clients.

Also -- regarding pursuing a job opening -- there is a definitive minuet that occurs when pursuing a job / hiring people and that minuet is global across every single company I've encountered, small or large, where I'd pursued an opening. Knowing the minuet gives you a wealth of information, particularly about timeframe. If you know the minuet, you know with a great deal of precision where you are in the process. That tells you your chance for successfully landing the job.

By the way, that client who had asked me all the questions about the Appalachian Trail? Yeah, they hired the consulting company where I was working even though the consulting company was more than 20% higher in costs than the next highest competitor. The client specifically had my name written into the consulting contract as the project manager so the consulting company didn't try to pull a fast one and schlep someone else into handling the project. And it turned out to be a terrific experience for me and a most rewarding experience for the consulting company. When the contract was coming to a close and I would be heading off to New Zealand for several months, the client wanted to hire me directly. To be honest, the people on my team from the consulting company were highly skilled and I was basking in the afterglow of their superior efforts (that, ha, they make look so easy -- wow were those people on my team a great match for what they had chosen for a career).

I would not take rejection from a prospect as being that much of an afront to you -- job hunting/career launching is more about playing the percentages in the beginning of a job search/career launch than it is about much else. You may need to just blast out more resumes or make more telephone calls or browse more job boards/newspapers and see what turns up. Sending a resume doesn't mean you have to take a job -- it just gives you something to consider if there's a response back from a prospect. What you're probably after is a significant increse in the number of responses back.

Then the minuet starts.

Datto

Montana AT05
10-13-2010, 22:25
Datto is spot on.

Never work for someone who looks down on a thru-hike.

Never work for someone who obsesses about a gap in your resume.

Consider working for yourself and perhaps being the person doing the hiring. Seem impossible? So does Khatadin, for those who never tried.

Work is a contract between you and the employer. Any employer who tries to control you otherwise is not worth a damn (and any worker who thinks he is owed a job isn't worth a damn either)

If you take a job then do it well. Provide value. If you cannot, then remove yourself and pursue something where you can.

If you take a job and do it well, and provide value, but are not compensated, remove yourself and pursue that compensation elsewhere.

Life isn't about an un-broken record of 40 years of Mondays thru Fridays. For a glimpse of that, rent the movie, About Schmidt.

Jester2000
10-13-2010, 22:35
Datto is spot on.

Consider working for yourself and perhaps being the person doing the hiring. Seem impossible? So does Khatadin, for those who never tried.

Work is a contract between you and the employer. Any employer who tries to control you otherwise is not worth a damn (and any worker who thinks he is owed a job isn't worth a damn either)

If you take a job then do it well. Provide value. If you cannot, then remove yourself and pursue something where you can.

If you take a job and do it well, and provide value, but are not compensated, remove yourself and pursue that compensation elsewhere.

Life isn't about an un-broken record of 40 years of Mondays thru Fridays. For a glimpse of that, rent the movie, About Schmidt.

Nicely said!

dorramide7
10-17-2010, 10:06
i wouldnt put it on a resume, but yeah when the gap comes up id simply explain what an accomplishment it was. a thru hike is a far cry from getting drunk in an RV, thats for sure

Pony
11-16-2010, 15:01
Well, I am currently working, but it is just a short term solution until I can find something else. So here's my question.

If applying for a job that requires skills I have used in jobs from my past (8-12 years ago), is it alright to highlight this job experience even though it was quite some time ago? Should I tone down recent work experience which doesn't apply to this job, and rely more heavily on my past experience?

sbhikes
11-17-2010, 14:18
Can you highlight any cross-over skills? Is there a way to pursue in your off-time similar work to what you are hoping to find? For example, as a web developer I sometimes give myself projects to complete to demonstrate skills I might not be doing in my current job.

Pony
11-17-2010, 14:34
Can you highlight any cross-over skills? Is there a way to pursue in your off-time similar work to what you are hoping to find? For example, as a web developer I sometimes give myself projects to complete to demonstrate skills I might not be doing in my current job.

If I understand you correctly, probably not. The job is in manufacturing, which is where I started in the work force, and spent several years before being layed off and returning to school. I appear to meet every qualification for the job, and can hopefully get at least one recommendation from someone that has been with the company for several years.

However, I'm not banking on the fact that because I know someone, I will automatically be considered for the job. What I'm trying to figure out is, if I downplay my recent work history, and highlight past work experience, does it look like I'm trying to hide my recent work history, or am I simply pointing to the skills that make me qualified for the job, even though they were eight years in the past?

scope
11-17-2010, 15:51
First, be proud of your hike. It IS an accomplishment which you should feel good about, and like any experience, you HAVE learned from it, just as you would have learned from any job experience. In an interview, you have to be able to communicate that and turn the experience into a positive for the interviewer (it already should be for you). Its not easy, but the difference is you, how you spin it, your attitude about it, and confidence that you show in explaining it to an interviewer. Not everybody is going to go for it, but that's not something you can control. You only control how you feel about it.

As for the resume, I'd dress up the experience as much as possible. Take some liberties in terms of applying what you did and learned - like "goal-setting", which you may not have done a lot of during the hike, but probably enough of to list it as an activity that has some relation in the workplace. Based on what some others have said, I'd say its probably better to list it in some chronological format along with your jobs so that there is no gap. You might have to list that chronology as "Experience" instead of "Work Experience", and that should be fine. List the period as "Personal Growth" with a commentary on the experience and how you learned from it, and how it will make you a better employee - or at least list activities and experiences that have some application in the workplace (the workplace in general, don't get too caught up in trying to make applications to specific jobs).

Lastly, don't worry too much about rejections. In college, we used to post "flush" letters on our room doors as a badge of honor (well, that's what we told ourselves anyway). But really, they are par for the course and part of the process is putting yourself out there the best way you know how and making adjustments along the way. I realize there's lots of pressure out there to get a job - and not only related to money. But you do need to focus on you and ALL of what you have to offer. You may be reaching for ways to show that you are qualified for a specific job, when many times a job goes to the best potential employee, rather than the best qualified (in a specific sense).

Sorry for being preachy. Good luck!

Pony
01-28-2011, 00:53
After two years of applying, I finally got the interview. While it is only an internship, it is one step closer to my dream job. I would be working as an intern to an interpretive naturalist. While I am confident that I will do well in an interview, I will certainly welcome any advice you may have. I'd especially be interested to hear from anyone that has a career as a naturalist, or in natural resources. Thank you. :sun

p.s. If you were wondering, I left my hike off of my resume, but listed in a section of the online application called hobbies and interests.

Snowleopard
01-28-2011, 14:11
While it is only an internship, it is one step closer to my dream job. I would be working as an intern to an interpretive naturalist.
For this kind of job, they'll consider hiking the AT as a big plus, so mention it in the context of your love of the outdoors and nature. Good luck.

restless
01-28-2011, 23:50
Pony, I work in the trails division in Shenandoah NP, a job which I just landed recently. It falls under the natural resources dept. Not sure what sort of career you are looking at, but if you put this on your resume, I would list it as additional experience, or possibly even include mention of it in your cover letter. it sounds like you are looking for a similar career. If you would like some further advice, feel free to pm me.

ajakob88
01-31-2011, 18:55
I think most people are missing the boat on this. For someone who is 40 - 50 and quit their job to do the trail it may look they are unstable or uncommitted to their profession (I dont agree with this people must find a work-life balance and should put personal life goals ahead of career goals)

But for someone who is just graduated it is great experience to highlight, heres why.
1. it proves that you have the "soft skills" that are hard to prove. Like planning, self-motivating, determination, team work, self-reliance etc. unless you were a solider or athlete this skills are just hot air coming out of your mouth that you cant point to certain situations. But a thru hike demonstrates all of these.

My advice put it in your cover letter not your resume, and bring it up in the interview and explain that experience and how it made you a stronger person that they can depend on in stressful situations and your ability to work in groups and on your own.

I am a senior and have interned at two fortune 100 companies they are always looking for someone who is special then all the over applicants and they want those "soft skills". Everyone who graduates will a accounting degree can read a balance sheet but can they work under pressure can they meet and exceed expectations can they continue to motivate themselves to meet tough deadlines. All in all can they count on the person to do their job no matter is thrown at them? This experience proves that they are different.

Other thing I would point out in the interview that I took the time to complete a personal life goal and it was a great experience but now that I am done I a fully motivated to excel on my career and now more then ever I am ready to hit the ground running. Think of it as resetting the batteries for your long a successful career in whatever.

RockDoc
02-01-2011, 01:03
I agree, it is more cover letter material than resume meat. You don't want your resume to suggest that you will need to take a lot of time off from the job for walkabouts.

But if mentioned skillfully in a cover letter, is it a positive thing that will distinguish you from others, and probably generate some interesting conversation.

lutefisk
02-01-2011, 10:55
After two years of applying, I finally got the interview. While it is only an internship, it is one step closer to my dream job. I would be working as an intern to an interpretive naturalist. While I am confident that I will do well in an interview, I will certainly welcome any advice you may have. I'd especially be interested to hear from anyone that has a career as a naturalist, or in natural resources. Thank you. :sun

p.s. If you were wondering, I left my hike off of my resume, but listed in a section of the online application called hobbies and interests.
For the next two years take the time, effort, energy and commitment that thru-hiking requires and put it into getting the education, training, and experience that will best prepare you for your dream job. Some people's dream is the hike, and a job is just for eating and paying the rent. You seem to know what you want, now use what you learned from the hike to get there.

Pony
01-08-2018, 00:41
So after 7 years I finally figured it out. Nothing about my hike qualifies me for a job, however, the hike has prepared me for a career. After my hike I took a job bartending for a year until I finally got sick of it, so I took a job with a temporary agency for $9/hr. Well, six years later and a few promotions and demotions I now have a skill set. It wasn't the hike itself that got me here, but the perserverance and intestinal fortitude that I learned from the hike that got me where I am.

Doc
01-08-2018, 10:01
For those following this thread and want to enter the natural resources field think about the many seasonal positions that the trail maintaining clubs offer. This is a great entry into full time positions with the NPS and similar agencies. Right now MATC is looking for a few good folks for our seasonal slots.

Coffee
01-08-2018, 10:38
Unfortunately, people (including hiring managers) can be pretty closed minded. I would be hesitant to personally advertise anything about long distance hiking unless I knew that the person in charge appreciates what it is or the job is in some way connected to the outdoor industry or government service. Thru hiking is an accomplishment to be proud of but I think misunderstood by many people and the goal is to get hired.

sketcher709
01-08-2018, 10:51
The fact remains that hiking is a recreational activity - no different than mountaineering, skiing, golf, tennis, hunting, traveling, etc. Employers will rightfully question whether or not an applicant who chooses to take 6 months off work to pursue their recreational activities is going to prove to be a stable and reliable employee, or whether they will choose to leave for some extended period when their desire to recreate overcomes their desire to serve their employer's needs.

The absolute best manager I ever had - open minded, adventurous, fun, competent, hard working, fair...I had hiked with her occasionally. I was surprised to see her rule out a job candidate that listed 6 months off for an AT hike on their resume or in the cover letter (I can't remember which) for that reason. This was a tough and highly technical job and this guy sounded to me like a perfect fit, especially because he had the proof of mental mental toughness. However, the job basically took two years to get up to speed as it was very specialized and was a real grind and she was afraid that about the two or three year mark he would need to go decompress for 6 months. It's one thing to have a team of employees who fantasize about such escapes, it's quite another to have one who has already demonstrated a willingness to pick up and go. Even then, I still think it was short sighted of her. She could grant a leave of absence and take him back and probably have an outstanding employee rather than a burned out and miserable one.

I left there to buy my own company but if I ever needed to go back to working for someone else, I would not want to work for someone who would rule me out based on choosing to hike.

lonehiker
01-08-2018, 11:04
There isn't anything particularly special about long-distance hiking. Generally the young are simply delaying making real life decisions and middle aged, for lack of better term, are attempting to escape something.

sketcher709
01-08-2018, 11:08
There isn't anything particularly special about long-distance hiking. Generally the young are simply delaying making real life decisions and middle aged, for lack of better term, are attempting to escape something.

That's one way to look at it. And it is valid. for some people it is an escape or a delay in dealing with real life. Do you know how many people go to graduate school for the exact same reasons? :)

RangerZ
01-08-2018, 11:13
As a (recently former) engineering supervisor I was focused on the general and specific skills that an applicant would bring to my team, often we were looking to fill a missing capability. I hired on the basis of engineering excellence as presented on a resume and during an interview. (Some may view this as short sighted but I needed to get work out the door - think of it as trying to spend tax dollars well.)

Working for the federal government we were limited to what questions we could ask during an interview, so unless an applicant brought up a thru hike it wouldn't get discussed. I think Toolshed's comments in #31 (and other's comments) are spot on, I would take a positive note if an applicant worked them into an interview question response. We would look for obvious holes in employment history and it could be a way to explain them.

All that said, I would view a mention of thru hike completion (either in the employment time series or under activities/accomplishments/etc on a resume as a positive item about an applicant.

The federal government has many natural resources jobs. ALL federal jobs are advertised on USAJobs.gov.

Shutterbug
01-08-2018, 11:59

I am retired now, but over my career I reviewed hundreds, maybe thousands, of resumes. Before I became CEO, I was head of the Human Resources Department of a large corporation. One thing I always looked for was the employment time line. Unexplained gaps in the time line usually indicate that the person had a job where they would not get a positive recommendation.

My advice is to include the thru hike in the resume time line just like it was a full-time job. It is an accomplishment that you can be proud of and will distinguish you from your contemporaries who were working in something that wasn't challenging.

I can't imagine a circumstance in which having a thru hike on your resume would be a negative. Treat it as a proud accomplishment. Chances are good that you will be interviewing with someone like me who has always dreamed of a thru hike, but hasn't been willing to take the necessary time off. Be proud of your accomplishment.

Shutterbug
01-08-2018, 12:05
Unfortunately, people (including hiring managers) can be pretty closed minded. I would be hesitant to personally advertise anything about long distance hiking unless I knew that the person in charge appreciates what it is or the job is in some way connected to the outdoor industry or government service. Thru hiking is an accomplishment to be proud of but I think misunderstood by many people and the goal is to get hired.

I think you would be surprised at how many hiring managers dream of doing a long distance hike. Very few of them have been willing to take the time off to do a thru hike, but they admire those who do. My longest hikes have been in the 100 mile range, but I find that people everywhere are interested in hearing about them.

Coffee
01-08-2018, 12:10
I think you would be surprised at how many hiring managers dream of doing a long distance hike. Very few of them have been willing to take the time off to do a thru hike, but they admire those who do. My longest hikes have been in the 100 mile range, but I find that people everywhere are interested in hearing about them.
Perhaps things have changed over the past ten years. At least in the industry I was in back when I had a normal corporate job, very few would have understood or appreciated this. Instead it would have raised red flags.

Berserker
01-08-2018, 13:45
So after 7 years I finally figured it out. Nothing about my hike qualifies me for a job, however, the hike has prepared me for a career. After my hike I took a job bartending for a year until I finally got sick of it, so I took a job with a temporary agency for $9/hr. Well, six years later and a few promotions and demotions I now have a skill set. It wasn't the hike itself that got me here, but the perserverance and intestinal fortitude that I learned from the hike that got me where I am.
Glad you are getting things figured out. I'm impressed that you came back after this long and provided a follow-up to this thread...hardly anyone ever does that...impressive...most impressive.

rocketsocks
01-08-2018, 14:08
Way to check life’s oil and make your own breaks...back points awarded ;)

wordstew
01-08-2018, 14:19
If it were me I would list it as "Expedition Leader" it takes a lot of planning, logistics, budgeting/finance, prioritization, self direction and a host of other attributes to thru hike and you should reflect such on your resume.... Many people do not understand just how much commitment, planning and self grit it really takes.

Emerson Bigills
01-08-2018, 17:09
The profile of 80% of AT thru hikers is well known - young kids right out of school/searching for a career or recently retired looking to do something outside of a cubicle or factory with their waning years of good health. But to say there is nothing special about successful long distance hikers is either uninformed, if you have never been there; or cavalier, if you have done it yourself.

A successful long distance hiker requires commitment, passion, planning, flexibility, adaptability, judgement, resiliency and a little bit of luck. Traits that as a hiring manager, I was usually looking for. My biggest concern about hiring a thru hiker, would be that they have seen the world through a different lens and may not want to put up with the mindless B.S. that most jobs revolve around.

Turk6177
01-08-2018, 18:19
I would highlight that the hike reinforced your ability to problem solve when given limited information, adapt to a constantly changing environment, persistence to follow through with a goal that is both physical and mental, the ability to routinely prioritize what is important, the realization that a team effort is important but everyone has to pull their own weight for success. You probably gained the ability to self motivate when things weren't going well, the ability to motivate others, and the ability to sort through multiple feeds of information to make sound decisions, that on occasion may have had severe health risks. If you can somehow incorporate these skills into your narrative, it can make your hike look beneficial towards the private sector.

4eyedbuzzard
01-08-2018, 18:48
I think you can put a lot spin on a thru-hike - if you choose to. Whether or not it sells is another story. If you try to make it out to be more than it is, such as representing serious professional and/or management skills, I think a LOT of hiring managers (both hikers and non-hikers) are going to call BS on it and some could actually be turned off when someone starts slinging the BS really deep. It does show commitment, some personal planning, and some really serious walking skills. But other than the ability to walks miles on end, those qualities are pretty much expected of all applicants that would ultimately be considered. Beyond that, I would deeply discount all the management, problem solving, and decision making skills some would claim it represents. They don't necessarily transfer as easily as some people think they do. The skills needed to thru-hike are mostly personal ones - not professional ones. As the saying goes, "It's just walking."

Dogwood
01-08-2018, 19:13
Datto is spot on.

+1.

Several ways I get around resume gaps.

1) Connect or relate the gaps to the career or job that further that job or career. Don't let a LD hike be defined as a vacation or for recreational purposes or as an aimless "walk." Do this by knowing and approaching LD hiking/thru-hiking as experiencing more than hiking. Non hikers often don't fathom this as well as many hikers. It's up to you to tersely explain this while gaining command of the interviewing process - selling yourself. For instance, most of my resume gaps are LD backpacking and adventure related. All these trips incorporate dedicated education and hands on learning about regional flora, visiting outstanding Botanical Gardens and plant nurseries/plant breeders, recognizing noteworthy landscape architecture and design firms, etc. On many LD hikes I'll often volunteer 2 days at a Botanical Garden. Volunteering and pro bono work are great resume builders that be used to connect a career to hiking. My degrees, and passions, are in Landscape Architecture/landscape design and Horticulture. After hiking in Hawaii for 2 months I was offered three positions(all that I applied for) because I was able to correctly pronounce the Hawaiian names of many ornamental and native flora and minutely detail their growing requirements. It helps I'm also interested in regional and local Geology that correspond to soil sciences applicable to horticulture, golf courses, and Landscape Architecture.

2) I intentionally work on term projects. These are projects of a limited time. For example, I'll manage or be hired for a 2-6 month grow of say perennials or annuals or palms. I'm moving around the U.S. somewhat like seasonal worker's experience to do this. Work gaps in the projects are a built in part of the equation. It allows me to continue hiking in different places.

3) I have several portfolios professionally done that can speak louder than words on a resume or divert attention from resume gaps. I usually have at least two of them on an interview. If the interview is going sideways concerning these gaps I bring out the second "ooh ahh nice work saver portfolio."

4) I do the hiring because I own the business. I've been a business owner. I don't have to explain any gaps to anyone else.

4shot
01-08-2018, 20:07
I am retired now, but over my career I reviewed hundreds, maybe thousands, of resumes. Before I became CEO, I was head of the Human Resources Department of a large corporation. One thing I always looked for was the employment time line. Unexplained gaps in the time line usually indicate that the person had a job where they would not get a positive recommendation.
My advice is to include the thru hike in the resume time line just like it was a full-time job. It is an accomplishment that you can be proud of and will distinguish you from your contemporaries who were working in something that wasn't challenging.
I can't imagine a circumstance in which having a thru hike on your resume would be a negative. Treat it as a proud accomplishment. Chances are good that you will be interviewing with someone like me who has always dreamed of a thru hike, but hasn't been willing to take the necessary time off. Be proud of your accomplishment.

This is unbelievably good advice here. Thank you for sharing. I took a long sabbatical from the working world a few years ago. Hiked the AT and did a bunch of other things I never could get around to doing when I had a job..or career...or whatever people call those things. So when I got bored again and decided to reenter the "real world" I listed a thru-hike as a way to (partially) explain my gap in employment.

This one, single solitary item lead to a interview with a guy who had received 100's of resumes for a single job opening. He told me as much. And I now have maybe the best job or career or whatever you call the thing where you trade your time and skills for cash that I have ever had.

No one will ever know if thru hiking hurt their opportunities to get an interview. But at least in my case, it was the reason that I got the interview. I am humbled by this because, as far as I know, the only thing I learned about myself as a thru hiker is that I can walk farther than most with a pack on my back while smelling really awful. Plus I can eat peanut butter and honey on a soft taco shell everyday for 5+ months and not get too tired of it.

BTW, Pony (OP) did you hike in '10? If so, we met somewhere. In Tn? Va? NH?

rickb
01-08-2018, 21:57
I can't imagine a circumstance in which having a thru hike on your resume would be a negative.

In my experience, those higher up the food chain have always appreciated learning of my thru hike most.

Company owners — always.

Mid-level managers and HR screeners much less so.

Good to know your audience — to the extent that is possible.

JJ505
01-08-2018, 23:18
I've been retired for a number of years now, so haven't had to apply for a job lately, but when I did I long ago quit the whole chronological based resume. I wrote a "skills based (or functional) resume" where I highlighted __ skills and where I attained them. It works nicely for gaps in a resume but it also is good for unusual qualifications and skills. That says there may be places I wouldn't list it and others where I would. It's a judgement call, but I would think certain skills gained thru-hiking apply to areas not having to do with outdoor activities.

https://www.monster.com/career-advice/article/chronological-resume-or-functional-resume

BuckeyeBill
01-09-2018, 17:21
I also think to emphasize that only 10%-15% complete the trail each year with thousands starting. To me this shows determination and willingness to see a project/job task thru to the end.

jj dont play
01-09-2018, 17:30
You'll get varied answers but IMO, you don't
Put job duration to YR not M/YR
Use it when you can in answer "describe a time when" questions in and interview then you can say it was 5 months out off work but helped me to develop skill set etc or whatever. Use it in the interview, leave it off the resume.
Worked for me and I never told them how long just said I had a small hiatus to do a bucket list item... YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexasBob
01-09-2018, 21:49
As an employer, my main concerns aside from the required job skills were 1.) Is this person going to be reliable 2.) Does this person have a good work ethic 3.) Are they trust worthy 4.) Can they get along with others. A gap in employment for a six month vacation would raise questions about reliability and work ethic for me. If a person had a six month gap between school and starting their career, that would not be a big red flag for me but a 6 month gap mid career might be.

dudeijuststarted
01-09-2018, 22:26

Tell you what. I'm in IT, and had been in IT for 13 years by the time I did my thru hike. When I came back from the trail, I was shunned by my industry. They are so ridiculously workaholic computer obsessed that the thought of taking a break for 6 months after 13 years of service was reprehensible. I was told by one recruiter "what makes you think you can just go and do something like this?" Absolutely no one would hire me. So I lied. I said I ran my own consultancy and when they asked for references from that time I told them that would be inappropriate to call my customers as they were not employers. Once I got my career back, and once enough time had passed, I started telling people what I did as I was already reestablished as good at what I do.

I'm not sure what you do, but if you are in technology, don't tell them you were hiking the Appalachian Trail. You'd be wasting your time, those nerds don't care about athletic endeavors.

Congrats on your accomplishment.

Pony
01-17-2018, 02:21
BTW, Pony (OP) did you hike in '10? If so, we met somewhere. In Tn? Va? NH?

Wy yes I did, kind of. I left Springer in April 2008 and hiked to Damascus. I got off the trail there for reasons that still aren't clear to me but resumed my hike in April of 2010 and finished in September of 2010. So if we met it wouldn't have been in Tennessee. Can you refresh my memory?

Pony
01-17-2018, 04:55
Honesty and Integrity are traits that I value. It is the basis by which I judge others and the standard that I hold myself to. If I were to be completely honest with myself, my employment and career has nothing to do with the trail. I mistakenly thought that by getting a college degree I would be entitled to a job making great money with good benefits and be on a course to advance and retire at some point. Boy, was I wrong. So for nearly a decade I bartended because I was making good money and could manipulate my schedule to accommodate my hiking obsession among other traveling adventures. I got a bartending job a few weeks after I came home from the trail. It went well for a while but then I realized my boss, also the owner of the establishment, was an alcoholic, racist, misogynistic prick. One day he pulled one of his racist stunts and ran several of my bar guests off. I was infuriated. One of my coworkers was having a party that night, so I thought I could go blow off some steam and be ok the next day to work my shift. Turns out I couldn't get over it and was even more pissed the next day. So I called him up and told him exactly what I thought of him and why I couldn't work for him anymore. I was truthful.

I took a week and hiked around the Monongahela National Forrest. Spruce Knob, Seneca Rocks, and Dolly Sods Wilderness. I had a good talk with myself. I came to the realization that, unless you wanted a long island iced tea, I didn't have much to offer. Sure I had an education. I'm a hard worker. I'm dependable. I had the courage to leave my home behind and walk 2,000 miles. Other than the college degree, none of this was attractive to prospective employers that were willing to pay more than $12/hr. I wasn't going down like that.

I learned a lot about perseverance on my hike. I took the proverbial step back in order to take a step forward. I took a job with a temporary agency for $9/hr just to keep money coming in until I could find something better. I was doing manual labor; It was rather Zen. After nine months I got promoted to Team Leader. Several months later I was demoted. Well, weeks turned into months, and months turned into years. I was over it and exploring other options. A good friend of mine who happened to be the Quality Control Supervisor talked me off the ledge. She persuaded me to join the Quality Control Team rather than leave the company. This was a game changer. I spent close to four years learning the company. Learning the industry. I gained knowledge that few others in the company knew. I was thirsty. Six months ago it finally paid off. I got the promotion I was waiting for.

It didn't last, never does. The difference is that I now have a stellar resume and several excellent references. I went on an interview last week and was told I was overqualified. that is the highest complement I have ever had.

So, I would say, don't put it in the resume, but don't shy away from it. the skills you learn on the trail are more valuable that the hike itself.

AllDownhillFromHere
01-17-2018, 08:06
as an alum of the natinal outdoor leadership school concidered the harvard of outdoor educations, and haveing been choosin for the instructors course at 17,......i will mention this fact concerning what perspective employers want. nasa, this countrys proud leader in space exsploration has as a prerecwisit for all astronauts, that they complete a wilderness course at nols. the reason as stated by nasa. self relience. and the proof of it. also, hikers are jedis with power to take jobs.i have been out of work since two weeks before last holloween and am just finding small jobs now. i didnt depend on anyone. sept maby an access card for 200 $ of food in the end when i had nothing . but i pounded the sidewalks and kept positive and all with my hiker streanths.

This is comedy gold.

rocketsocks
01-17-2018, 08:53
This is comedy gold.He’s slippin’ schpellt astronuts corectively.

Deadeye
01-17-2018, 14:42
The best advice I ever got was from a guidance counselor when I had "flaws" on my resume: Do you really want to work for someone who would object to that flaw?

Wouldn't you rather work for someone who thought hiking the AT, or any adventure that took some stones to undertake and complete, was a cool thing? Conversely, would you really want to work for a scrooge who thought it was folly?

rocketsocks
01-17-2018, 16:33
The best advice I ever got was from a guidance counselor when I had "flaws" on my resume: Do you really want to work for someone who would object to that flaw?

Wouldn't you rather work for someone who thought hiking the AT, or any adventure that took some stones to undertake and complete, was a cool thing? Conversely, would you really want to work for a scrooge who thought it was folly?
Yeah, if the price was right.

Pony
06-28-2022, 13:59
Way to check life’s oil and make your own breaks...back points awarded ;)

As a former HS wrestler from a long time ago, I appreciate the back point reference. I've always thought there were a lot of similarities between wrestling and hiking.

I like to revisit this thread from time to time. Anyway, here's a little update. Following my 2010 thru hike, I worked as a bartender for a short time, and then I took a position at a local manufacturing plant making $9/hr. I took whatever came my way and did the best I could with it. Over 11 years I changed roles countless times and eventually became the Quality Control Supervisor. During this time I gained imeasurable skills. Despite constant management turnover, I somehow survived.

Last thursday I was notified that due to restructuring, my position had been eliminated. I was devastated, but I was also left with two things.

The first, I gained priceless job skills during this time. Turns out, the six month gap on my resume didn't look nearly as bad as my lack of job skills.

The second thing, in recognition of my hard work and dedication, I was awarded a generous severence package.

That being said, sometime in the next 7-10 days, I will be getting on the Long Trail at Maine Junction and hiking to the northern terminus. Only this time, I am confident that I will have the job skills to make up for the gap in my employment.

That is how I made it sound good on a resume.

JPritch
06-30-2022, 08:59
Thanks for following up! This thread was a good read.

foodbag
07-02-2022, 12:48
Screw 'em. If they ask about the gap, explain what you were doing; otherwise, as a job seeker you are in the driver's seat now, as the old ways are about dead and gone. Bullet point resumes and the need to demonstrate the ability to stick to the grinding wheel ad infinitum are as passe as employer-to-employee loyalty. If someone is concerned that you took time to accomplish a worthwhile personal project, well, that's not the employer who you want to work for anyhow.

There are enlightened people out there to work for - all you have to do is find them. If this sounds reckless, well, I am relating from personal experience. I got burned out, quit my job (at age 48 no less) to hike 300 miles and when I got back, landed the best-paying job I'd had in years, with a swashbuckling, risk-taking entrepreneur who appreciated the courage it takes to walk the path less traveled.