PDA

View Full Version : Winter thru-hiking/hiking suggestions?

poohbear
09-23-2010, 23:33
I've got a grip of time off this fall/winter, and I'm thinking of spending some of it hiking.

I'm looking for suggestions for trails that are hikable in winter without too much gear.

I've lived in new england my whole life, and am comfortable with 4 season hiking there. I'd like to head south to avoid the extreme winter season, and to avoid carrying too much weight. Also, I've never done any hiking south of shenandoah.

So far I've read/heard about the foothills trail in SC as a good winter hike. The southern sections of the AT and/or the BMT would be a good section to do.

Any suggestions for other shorter trails that I haven't heard of/have missed?

Graywolf
09-23-2010, 23:46
I've got a grip of time off this fall/winter, and I'm thinking of spending some of it hiking.

I'm looking for suggestions for trails that are hikable in winter without too much gear.

I've lived in new england my whole life, and am comfortable with 4 season hiking there. I'd like to head south to avoid the extreme winter season, and to avoid carrying too much weight. Also, I've never done any hiking south of shenandoah.

So far I've read/heard about the foothills trail in SC as a good winter hike. The southern sections of the AT and/or the BMT would be a good section to do.

Any suggestions for other shorter trails that I haven't heard of/have missed?

Hey Poohbear, Im planning on Nov. 20th on the southern AT.. Let me know if you would like to hook up..

Graywolf

IronGutsTommy
09-23-2010, 23:51
title was a lil misleading, as you dont actually plan to thru hike. if you pick up trails farther south, the differences in gear from warmer months should be minimal, just a good pair of long johns, a good down jacket, maybe a 4 season tent. may want a lower rated sleeping bag, but if your current one is 15 to 20 or below, you should be good

poohbear
09-24-2010, 00:17
title was a lil misleading, as you dont actually plan to thru hike. if you pick up trails farther south, the differences in gear from warmer months should be minimal, just a good pair of long johns, a good down jacket, maybe a 4 season tent. may want a lower rated sleeping bag, but if your current one is 15 to 20 or below, you should be good
nope, not misleading at all-

just looking into my options at the moment- i'm interested in thru-hiking shorter trails such as the foothills trail in sc, and possibly an at section. i'd like to stay away from the at though, just a personal preference

i'm all set on gear- i know all about that, and that wasn't what my question was about. i've also got all the necessary gear.

what i'm really looking for is hiking suggestions- places to hike, shorter 'long distance' trails that i could 'thru hike'. lesser known trails.
i'm not from the south, and have never hiked or even been there. (save for a week in shenandoah in june)

10-K
09-24-2010, 06:30
When you say you have time off this fall/winter do you mean your time off is on the cusp of winter and not in the middle?

It can get plenty cold in the mountains down south too.

The Foothills trail doesn't have the elevation that the AT does and would make an excellent choice.

LIhikers
09-24-2010, 09:55
How about the Finger Lakes Trail in New York?
You can find out about it at http://www.fltconference.org/trails/

Danielsen
09-24-2010, 10:26
How about the Finger Lakes Trail in New York?
You can find out about it at http://www.fltconference.org/trails/

During the winter much of the FLT, particularly near where I live, will be covered by a foot or more of snow most of the time. Certain portions of the trail are also closed for various hunting seasons. Some factors to consider, unfortunately. :o

Elder
09-24-2010, 10:34
Consider the Mountain to Sea Trail. Scott Ward/TABA has recently published his new guide. :D
The west ends at Clingman's Dome (I think?) might be colder so depending on your start time. West- East or East- West?
Search here for the guide information.

hikersc1
09-24-2010, 16:06
Foothills Trail my vote, but I'm biased since I'm from SC. 75 miles lots of creeks, rivers, waterfalls, lakeviews. Plenty of ups & downs. Temps 30's-50s in Nov, cooler later on.

poohbear
09-29-2010, 14:11
Thanks for the input!

Any other suggestions?

The foothills trail looks great, too bad it is not longer as 77 miles is less than a weeks' worth of hiking for me.

ki0eh
09-29-2010, 14:44
Pinhoti???